Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 78
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

Listened to tons of games on the radio back in the 70s & 80s.

One that sticks out is the FSU/Nebraska game I listened to in 1980.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:

Listening on radio to a good play by play man is still preferable to me than listening to the dribble from tv guys.  But back in the day they could make you feel like it was all happening right in front of you with only words.

I still listen to more games than I actually watch. I spend an inordinate amount of time mowing on the weekends when the daytime games are on, if not for a good headset I would miss most of those games. If I could get it to sync up I would listen to the radio announcers when I'm watching a game, they are more insightful than the TV guys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

I still listen to more games than I actually watch. I spend an inordinate amount of time mowing on the weekends when the daytime games are on, if not for a good headset I would miss most of those games. If I could get it to sync up I would listen to the radio announcers when I'm watching a game, they are more insightful than the TV guys.
View Quote

Being overseas it never syncs up.  But that is ok, gives you few seconds to know what to look for......
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Listening on radio to a good play by play man is still preferable to me than listening to the dribble from tv guys.  But back in the day they could make you feel like it was all happening right in front of you with only words.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

I grew up having to listen to games on the radio.  Cable wasn’t as available at the time, satellite dishes weren’t a thing yet and there was a limit to the amount of tv games a team could appear in per season.  Between streaming and radio, ESPN and cable providers need to keep this pissing match up and see what happens when you go to the well one too many times.

A good play by play man does make a difference.  I’ll admit the radio appeals to me for the nostalgia aspect but most fans are more interested in their team than the opponent, plus their craft is an art compared to TV where commentators are competing with the visual part of the game to stay engaged with the audience.  The really good radio teams are even respected by rival fanbases which is unheard of in other sports media, and the average opposing fans can listen to their broadcasts without getting a blood pressure spike.  Radio folks overall seem to have kept their love for the sport compared to tv and sportswriters, imo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlabamaFan64] [#7]

View All Quotes

One of my favorite memories of my dad was seeing him have the game on TV with the sound off and have a radio on for the audio in the early 70s.   Drove my mom up the wall and added some entertainment to game day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quinn Evers look alike

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Originally Posted By Skywarp2203:

Peacock.

Thank God college football doesn’t do that (yet).  Imagine if one of the two biggest games of the week was only being broadcast on a relatively obscure streaming service less than 10% of college football fans had.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/2024cfbwk2s2_1_jpg-3314691.JPG

An NFL game featuring 2 of the top 4 favorites to win the NFC is a massive matchup.

A college game where the #7 team is favored by 22 points over an unranked team… not so much.

Meh, every BIG team has to have a game on Peacock.   It’s 5.99 a month.   That’s a damn coffee or beer at the bar.   Anyway I got a deal for 19.99 for a year.   Well worth it for a few football games.

https://media1.tenor.com/m/unwZGZKPjzUAAAAC/thats-how-it-starts-durin.gif

And then, one day, you realize it is now this.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Don’t understand how South Carolina vs Kentucky is 5th.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Peacock.

Thank God college football doesn’t do that (yet).  Imagine if one of the two biggest games of the week was only being broadcast on a relatively obscure streaming service less than 10% of college football fans had.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/2024cfbwk2s2_1_jpg-3314691.JPG

An NFL game featuring 2 of the top 4 favorites to win the NFC is a massive matchup.

A college game where the #7 team is favored by 22 points over an unranked team… not so much.

Meh, every BIG team has to have a game on Peacock.   It’s 5.99 a month.   That’s a damn coffee or beer at the bar.   Anyway I got a deal for 19.99 for a year.   Well worth it for a few football games.

https://media1.tenor.com/m/unwZGZKPjzUAAAAC/thats-how-it-starts-durin.gif

And then, one day, you realize it is now this.

Click To View Spoiler

NFL fans to college football fans:

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]

What the hell?

Just because Georgia is the biggest favorite they’ve ever been in the history of the school, that makes their game a 3.7?

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:18:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#13]

What the hell?

Just because Georgia is the biggest favorite they’ve ever been in the history of the school, that makes their game a 3.7?

https://media1.tenor.com/m/_zkPBrrXNB0AAAAC/this-is-an-outrage-i-demand-an-investigation.gif
View Quote

I agree 3.7 is outrageously high.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Since Michigan hasn't played texas in a long time, just passing on some information.  

First, it will be difficult to steal signs because they do a lot of dumb stuff, don't even try.  You will see stuff like the following happening on the sidelines, these aren't signs!

Lastly, you need to take advantage of the stupid stuff they do.  For example, they once botched the coin toss and had to kickoff both halves.  Here is the dismay, even the ref was shocked:  "I've never seen that before, didn't know it was possible, what do I do?"

So just stick to your game plan and you should win easily because some teams suck, but texas is the suck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#15]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
Since Michigan hasn't played texas in a long time, just passing on some information.  

First, it will be difficult to steal signs because they do a lot of dumb stuff, don't even try.  You will see stuff like the following happening on the sidelines, these aren't signs!

https://media.tenor.com/eNotk8LnyMMAAAAM/idiocracy-test.gif

Lastly, you need to take advantage of the stupid stuff they do.  For example, they once botched the coin toss and had to kickoff both halves.  Here is the dismay, even the ref was shocked:  "I've never seen that before, didn't know it was possible, what do I do?"

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/695716/texasmad.0.gif

So just stick to your game plan and you should win easily because some teams suck, but texas is the suck.
View Quote

Texas is good at football? I don't normally follow them but I am fairly certain my Terps beat them every time I remember them playing each other, and Maryland is a basketball school.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Texas is good at football? I don't normally follow them but I am fairly certain my Terps beat them every time I remember them playing each other, and Maryland is a basketball school.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

How the hell can you botch a coin toss and kick off both halves!?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

View Quote

Choose which way to kick twice
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Yup, two matchups in my lifetime and Texas got upset both times.

Like Dallas' NFL titles, the three games before that are too old to be relevant.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoonerBorn] [#20]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

View Quote

I think the Mack Brown days is were the idiocracy began at texas, though I have no doubt they were dumb before that.  God I miss that guy on the sidelines of texas.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Like Dallas' NFL titles, the three games before that are too old to be relevant.
View All Quotes

They were both in the first week of September over 6 years ago, but congrats?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#22]
SMU 27 BYU 17

Northwestern 20 Duke 13
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Truck broke down this morning, finally gave up going further down the road and grabbed a hotel.... directv so no ESPN super fun
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

And yet that idiot (the worst HC in Texas history) with Case McCoy at QB still managed to beat #10 OU in 2015.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
SMU 27 BYU 17
View Quote

Not so fast my friend…
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 5:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#28]

Being overseas it never syncs up.  But that is ok, gives you few seconds to know what to look for......
View All Quotes

I served in Germany 86-87. I remember listening to the whole 1987 Liberty Bowl . What I remember was in the middle of the night.  Georgia vs Arkansas. Georgia kicked the winning field goal with time expiring.  Listening to every play in the dark with my eyes closed.  It was like I was there.  Georgia 20 Arkansas 17. Go Dawgs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

And yet that idiot (the worst HC in Texas history) with Case McCoy at QB still managed to beat #10 OU in 2015.
View Quote

I saw an 0-5 OU team beat texas in the 90's once.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By OUSooner:

View All Quotes

Bad teams from both sides have won before.

Why the animosity between fan bases of those respected institutions?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Bad teams from both sides have won before.

Why the animosity between fan bases of those respected institutions?
View Quote

They hate us because the ain't us.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By WarDawg:

I served in Germany 86-87. I remember listening to the whole 1987 Liberty Bowl . What I remember was in the middle of the night.  Georgia vs Arkansas. Georgia kicked the winning field goal with time expiring.  Listening to every play in the dark with my eyes closed.  It was like I was there.  Georgia 20 Arkansas 17. Go Dawgs.
View All Quotes

I had to listen to the 92 Sugar Bowl on the radio because my brother couldn't wait a little while to be picked up, he had to have a ride right then and whined to our mom so I had to drive over an hour to get his dumb ass, but thankfully the radio got great reception.......and it was almost like being there
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

No you didn’t. OU was 0-4 going into the 1996 RRS. Texas was 25th ranked and 3-2 at the time with losses to ND and at Virginia.

That’s hardly the same as a 1-5 Texas team led by Charlie Strong that had gotten steam rolled 50-7 by TCU the previous week beating a 4-0 #10 ranked OU team.

I saw an unranked Texas team beat a top 4 and top 6 OU team in 1990 and 1991, And a top 15 ranked OU in 1989 and #16 ranked OU in 1992.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

No you didn’t. OU was 0-4 going into the 1996 RRS. Texas was 25th ranked and 3-2 at the time with losses to ND and at Virginia.

That’s hardly the same as a 1-5 Texas team led by Charlie Strong that had gotten steam rolled 50-7 by TCU the previous week beating a 4-0 #10 ranked OU team.

I saw an unranked Texas team beat a top 4 and top 6 OU team in 1990 and 1991, And a top 15 ranked OU in 1989 and #16 ranked OU in 1992.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Since I've been alive I've seen Oklahoma beat texas a whole lot more times than they have lost.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Since I've been alive I've seen Oklahoma beat texas a whole lot more times than they have lost.
View All Quotes

You’ve also seen OU with more major NCAA infractions than anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Where is the #1 ranked team in the country?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#41]

No you didn't. OU was 0-4 going into the 1996 RRS. Texas was 25th ranked and 3-2 at the time with losses to ND and at Virginia.

That's hardly the same as a 1-5 Texas team led by Charlie Strong that had gotten steam rolled 50-7 by TCU the previous week beating a 4-0 #10 ranked OU team.

View Quote
I saw OU beat a #3 ranked texas just last year

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#42]

You've also seen OU with more major NCAA infractions than anyone else.
View All Quotes

You've also seen OU with more major NCAA infractions than anyone else.
Ai told me the following:

Arizona State University is the most penalized school in NCAA history for football violations. As of April 2024, Arizona State's sanctions included: Four years of probation, An undisclosed fine, Vacated games with ineligible players, Reduced scholarships, and Recruiting restrictions.

Other schools with major football infractions include:
Southern Methodist University
Texas A&M University, College Station
University of Oklahoma
Baylor University
Florida State University
University of Alabama
Honestly thought SMU would be the highest, they definitely suffered the most from getting caught though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/efINEqv-897.gif

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/jerryPopcorn-685.gif
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/jerryPopcorn-685.gif

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Arkansas 31 Oklahoma St 27

Texas 30 Michigan 24

Tulane 35 KSU 24

GT 27 Syracuse 17

Kentucky 33 South Carolina 20

Utah 30 Baylor 21

Iowa 17 Iowa St 13

Auburn 37 Cal 28

Maryland 31 Michigan State 24

Kansas 28. Illinois 26

Tenn 41 NC State 24

Nebraska 36  Colorado 24
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#47]

A year ago, sure.

Though, post-Stalions/Harbaugh, I’m not sure that really works.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Arkansas 31 Oklahoma St 27

Texas 30 Michigan 24

Tulane 35 KSU 24

GT 27 Syracuse 17

Kentucky 33 South Carolina 20

Utah 30 Baylor 21

Iowa 17 Iowa St 13

Auburn 37 Cal 28

Maryland 31 Michigan State 24

Kansas 28. Illinois 26

Tenn 41 NC State 24

Nebraska 36  Colorado 24
View Quote

8-4

Not bad
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#50]

A year ago, sure.

Though, post-Stalions/Harbaugh, I’m not sure that really works.
View Quote

And yet it has been 1744 days since OSU beat Michigan
Page / 78
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top