Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Ryobi one.  It's fine.  It's not as powerful as my gas mower but it's much quieter and more convenient.  The single battery isn't even half gone cutting my 1/4 acre.  Build quality is so so.  Everything is plastic, so the deck flexes and the wheels wobble.  The self propelled mode is too slow, I just push it instead.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best brand is gasoline powered
View Quote

I spend most of my time overseas so it's a lot nicer to just pop a battery in rather than likely tinker every time I leave/come home.

Ryobi mower came with 2 bats, takes 1.5 to mow my yard. Perfect for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
These threads always are the same.  Always.  

Great advice to get tools that you already have batteries for.  If that’s not the issue, then Ego seems to be the most recommended choice.  More on this later.  

Then you’ll get people that never have owned the equipment claim the tools only get 10-12 minutes of usable battery life.  You will also get people that actually own the tools tell you they need 2 batteries to complete the job.  I tend to believe them.  

I went with DeWalt because I already had batteries.  In retrospect, I should have decided on two ecosystems.   DeWalt for tools and Ego for yard tools.  It seems like the Ego tools are better designed for yard work, but there isn’t anything wrong with the DeWalts.   Just that the Ego lineup is better in the yard tools realm.

Edit.  The DeWalt chainsaw, the 20v version, is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Get your battery brand of choice and its fine. I'm a m18 Milwaukee guy. That said electric dont have the suction of gas mowers that helps clean up and avoid the need for a blower.

Former landscaping pro. Good enough for an average suburban lot if you dont want to hassle with gas.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with EGO. I did all of the research before buying into an ecosystem & EGO's made the most sense.

It's a nice thought about using your drill battery on your lawn mower, but there is a reason the tool brands went from mowers with one battery to mowers with multiple batteries, or multiple voltages out of one battery. EGO makes lawn tools, and their battery is sized & engineered to primarily be used in that manner. There are some other brands that are similar in that regard, but EGO has been (and I believe still is) the leading company for a quality product & experience.

Edit: 1/4 acre lot for me. 5 amp hour battery that came with the mower will mow the whole thing plus some. Run time will reduce quickly though if you let the grass grow too long. I mow at least once a week, or twice if there is s lot of growth happening due to weather.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wouldn't feel right about using an electric.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Three years ago we bought an expensive Craftsman 750Mah battery powered mover from Lowes. We wanted to get an additional battery for it but it was unavailable, we also could not get replacement blades. I died last year. So we bought an even more expensive EGO mower that has served us well so far. I can get additional batteries and blades for it if I need to. We grow rocks here in Tennessee and even if you use a gas mower your blades take a beating. I mow most of our yard (3 acres) with an old Scotts rider that works well but the wife likes to mow the top of the hill with the EGO. Do I like it, no I don't but she does.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are manufactured using processes derived from oil in about a million different ways.
View Quote

If I lived in a subdivision with <1/4 acre to mow/weed eat, I would absolutely have electric lawn equipment. And it wouldn't have jack shit to do with the "environment". They actually are far more convenient than using gas.

I live on 5 acres here in Kentucky, and have to mow 4 acres and weed eat a shitload of fence line and various landscaping. Battery wouldn't work for me, but I wish it would. The battery powered ZT mowers that are supposed to mow 4 acres actually mow far less than that when you watch review that are not sponsored by a specific brand.

When I did live in the city several years ago I had a gas mower and my neighbor bought an EGO. I borrowed it once and thought it was awesome. If I hadn't moved to Kentucky, I would have bought an EGO.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
We got the GreenWorks Pro 60v mower and weedeater and an extra battery and it is enough to do the whole yard. Mower does not work if grass is damp but other than that they both are great and we have had them since Apr 1, 2020.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#10]
What's really stupid is that I actually have an assortment of battery-powered hand tools that I had just purchased before the move, but they're all packed away.  I'm not going to unpack them until after I move, so I won't know what kinds of batteries I have until then.  I think I have some Craftsman, some Ryobi, and maybe one other brand, but I'm not sure.  I bought them in the December of 2021 and January of 2022 because they were seriously on sale and I was trying to stock up.  I just tossed them up onto a shelf, and then packed them away in March of 2022.  Haven't seen them since.  Pretty sure I still own them, but they're in a box somewhere that I just couldn't be bothered to open.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t think I have ever smelled fresh cut grass unless it is seasoned with some lawnmower exhaust fumes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's really stupid is that I actually have an assortment of battery-powered hand tools that I had just purchased before the move, but they're all packed away.  I'm not going to unpack them until after I move, so I won't know what kinds of batteries I have until then.  I think I have some Craftsman, some Ryobi, and maybe one other brand, but I'm not sure.  I bought them in the December of 2021 and January of 2022 because they were seriously on sale and I was trying to stock up.  I just tossed them up onto a shelf, and then packed them away in March of 2022.  Haven't seen them since.  Pretty sure I still own them, but they're in a box somewhere that I just couldn't be bothered to open.
View Quote
Ego batteries are a bit more substantial than a drill battery. But they also have plenty of tools and accessories if you're interested.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ego batteries are a bit more substantial than a drill battery. But they also have plenty of tools and accessories if you're interested.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have a two-stroke chainsaw, blower and trimmer, and I have a shitload of two-stroke oil laid in, so I'm not going to be buying anything other than the mower.  For now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like others have mentioned don't fall into the trap of going with a certain yard tool brand because you have some of their garage tools.

Two totally different systems with different power requirements and run times.

They should be treated separately.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I sold my house and moved to a new city, I got rid of most of my outdoor stuff.  I was moving into an apartment, I didn't know if I'd be staying in the apartment for a long time, or a short time, and it just didn't make sense to pay for storage for stuff that was already old and very, very well used.  

I'm closing on a house on Friday, and I don't have a lawnmower anymore.  My last lawnmower was a Poulan 20" that served me well for about six years.  If I hadn't moved, I'd still have it and be using it.

With all the BS about gas engines now, and Honda is halting production, yadda yadda, yadda..  I thought it might be the right time to go electric.   The new yard is less than 1/4 acre.  I don't need a 54", 24hp zero turn.  Let's not be silly.  Well, yeah, I realize I'm asking that in GD.  

So who can teach me about electric lawnmowers?  Best brands, shittiest brands, what to buy, what too stay from?
View Quote

My Toro works well as does the snow blower that uses the same batteries.  The 6.0 battery uses 6 of 4 bars, that is one and a half charges to do the lawn  The 7.5 uses 3 of 4 bars...
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 All of them are pure shit, that's all you need to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I sold my house and moved to a new city, I got rid of most of my outdoor stuff.  I was moving into an apartment, I didn't know if I'd be staying in the apartment for a long time, or a short time, and it just didn't make sense to pay for storage for stuff that was already old and very, very well used.  

I'm closing on a house on Friday, and I don't have a lawnmower anymore.  My last lawnmower was a Poulan 20" that served me well for about six years.  If I hadn't moved, I'd still have it and be using it.

With all the BS about gas engines now, and Honda is halting production, yadda yadda, yadda..  I thought it might be the right time to go electric.   The new yard is less than 1/4 acre.  I don't need a 54", 24hp zero turn.  Let's not be silly.  Well, yeah, I realize I'm asking that in GD.  

So who can teach me about electric lawnmowers?  Best brands, shittiest brands, what to buy, what too stay from?
 All of them are pure shit, that's all you need to know.

Not having to make sure I have gas, not having gas go bad in the mower and the noise is nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep: like the one day I was sitting on the porch at 6:30 in the am drinking coffee and thinking, if I had an electric lawnmower, could be done well before 9:00 rather than starting at 9:00.
View Quote

This is way more important than people realize. Women/kids can handle the electric mower way easier than gas, and you can mow before it gets hot without pissing off the neighbors.

Ego or Greenworks.

I'd avoid anything that uses tool batteries that don't have a cooling fan for yard work. The compatibility is tempting but the performance isn't in the same league.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been using the Kobalt 80v series for years now. I have the push mower {self propelled}, hand blower, chainsaw, and the weed eater head that takes swappable accessories.

They have plenty of power and the trick is to always buy when they have a bundle sale with the tool, battery, and charger. I have one 5Ah and four 2.5Ah batteries and with 0.8 acre I only have to stop to swap batteries and rest. Use the 5Ah in the pushmower, not in the hand tools.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is way more important than people realize. Women/kids can handle the electric mower way easier than gas, and you can mow before it gets hot without pissing off the neighbors.

Ego or Greenworks.

I'd avoid anything that uses tool batteries that don't have a cooling fan for yard work. The compatibility is tempting but the performance isn't in the same league.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep: like the one day I was sitting on the porch at 6:30 in the am drinking coffee and thinking, if I had an electric lawnmower, could be done well before 9:00 rather than starting at 9:00.

Ego or Greenworks.

18-20 volts vs 56-60 and the battery packs are much larger and heavier.  I would not want one of those on a drill but that is what you need for a mower.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be careful about leaving them unused for too long. Once they drain out and sit a bit they tend to never fully charge again and sometimes will not take a charge at all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Best brand is gasoline powered
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top