BCM
User Panel

Page / 43
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Prog Rock led to Fusion, and these guys might be the top of that pyramid:

Return to Forever - The Romantic Warrior HQ

This is a video of "side 2" of a LP, when you have time for it:
Return To Forever Feat. Chick Corea - Where Have I Known You Before (1974) Side 2, vinyl LP

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#2]
Since we're in the Jazz World now, let's take a couple of steps inside. The Coast is clear. This next guy was hugely talented, but way too angry to be a "star." Could be he didn't want it.
Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle

If and when I can find "Whitey on the Moon" and "The Revolution will be Televised," I'll edit this post.
ETA: Found them!
Gil Scott-Heron - Whitey On the Moon (Official Audio)
Gil Scott-Heron - Revolution Will Not Be Televised (Official Audio)

Gil Scott-Heron - Socially aware!!
His criticism of the Space Program were widely held by many people all the way up to then President Nixon. Not really too far out of the main stream. However, they're were two huge, and I mean huge, pressures on urban blacks at the time that no one ever talks about. Hippies/Leftists moving into black urban areas with their leftist talk about capitialist/corporate exploitation AND bringing drug culture with them as in "Turn on, Tune in, Drop out, plus the Great Society Programs from HHS to HUD"s Urban Renewal. Both forces removed jobs and private housing and replaced them with welfare checks, dealing drugs and public housing. Gil Scott-Heron really said nothing about the the deeper causes of what was going on around him. I don't think it was that is was a difficulty. He was an intelligent man. It was probably more that he was bound to his anger, and his anger wouldn't let him see into the distance.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea why this next guy wasn't bigger than he was. I can only assume that you become a big star as soon as people can make money off of you. If you want to keep some control over your brand and refuse that, you're not pushed out to the front of the pack.
Everybody Loves The Sunshine

He did make it on Soul Train...once:
Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Live 1977 - Searching & Everybody Loves the Sunshine

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#4]
Before Kool and the Gang made real money with "Celebration" and "Ladies Night" they did this:
Kool & The Gang - Summer Madness (Extended Mix)
There's a companion piece called "Winter something-or-other." I got "old-manites" at the moment. Hopefully, it comes to me, or I go look for it on the other computer whichever comes first.
ETA: Winter Sadness

BTW, Don Cornelius wants to know if you guys have enough "steam" left for this next song. I told him I'd ask.
Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie (Soul Train 1974)

ETA: now you have two choices here for the song "Hollywood Swinging." Choice A is a high quality audio version. Choice B is a low audio quality version. Chose wisely.
Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swinging
Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swinging (official video)

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#5]
Then before Earth, Wind and Fire made it to the top of the heap, they pave their road with songs like these:
Earth, Wind & Fire - Clover (Audio)
Earth, Wind & Fire - Can't Hide Love (Audio)
Earth, Wind & Fire - Yearnin' Learnin' (Audio)

I very cleverly forgot this song:
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to mention this song. When it was first released on a live album back in the early '70s, it's biggest effect was to change the direction of public school Jazz bands across the Nation. It sounds funny, and the thought still makes me laugh, but I was playing alto sax in one of those bands, and it changed up a lot of things:

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This would be the last big hit of Sly Stone due to him going off the deep end with the drugs. Don't do 'em, kids.
Sly & The Family Stone ~ Family Affair 1971 Disco Purrfection Version

If you're into music though, this one and even the next one which was a mess, has some really interesting things going on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:03:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#8]
Curtis Mayfield didn't create the movement of bringing the "urban ghetto" scene to the masses. He just raised it up a few notches in one sound track album from a pretty good movie (Superfly starring Ron O'Neal):

ETA: Isaac Hayes gets an honorable mention for this song:
Theme From Shaft (Remastered 2009)

But, for Peak Hayes, check out "Hot Buttered Soul" that came out in 1969.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:21:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#9]
Stevie Wonder and Synthesizers were synonymous in the '70s.
Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
Stevie Wonder - I Wish (the original version)

ETA: in the future, I will mention that Stevie Wonder wrote some songs for Rufus when Chaka Khan joined the group. Here's his version to compare.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Stevie Wonder Part Deux:
Stevie Wonder - Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing
Stevie Wonder - Superwoman (Where Were You?) (Music of the Mind, March 3, 1972)

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]
A quick "how'dyou do" to Aretha Franklin during the Muscle Shoals era before we got back to scowling guitars:
Aretha Franklin ~ Rock Steady 1971 Funky Purrfection Version

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#12]
But first, bitches, I'm gonna tease you into it because who's your daddy!?!?!?
Hot Butter - Popcorn (Version Originale) 1972 full 7” Single
Deodato - Also Sprach Zarathustra HQ audio

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pawdog:
This album, and their live concert in 1976, was the 1970's for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT7dciHZGfg

View Quote

yes indeed

actual musicians
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#14]
James Gang and Joe Walsh solo. First up is a German TV appearance and two versions of Walk Away:
James Gang - Walk Away (1971)

Same song with better audio:

Last but definitely not least, the Ultimate Joe Walsh song (NO!! it's not I.L.B.T.'s, you fools!):

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Our next special guest is a slime ball extraordinaire, but also your typical European degenerate. But, if Jesus can separate the human from his sin, I should aim to do the same, or maybe just aim. Either is a difficult road. But, the song/music is iconic.
GARY GLITTER ROCK & ROLL PART 1 & 2

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Montrose!! The 1970s had a lot of guitar heroes!!!!!
Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#17]
1976...Spinners killed it. Choreography is worth the ticket alone.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I forgot a Canadian. In my defense, that's really easy to do. I'm having some difficulty finding things with quality audio, though. This is a 44 minute live set although the audio is really good, so it may have been re-recorded.
Pat Travers - Go for What You Know - Full Album

One song from the set:
Pat Travers Band - Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights)

How the '70s ended:
Pat Travers Band * Crash And Burn 1980 HQ

PAT TRAVERS BAND - Snortin' Whiskey

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Any miners or chemists out there? What about Ecologists? Well here's a band for you!!!
Get Ready - Rare Earth 1970
Rare Earth "(I Know) I'm Losing You" on The Ed Sullivan Show

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's two versions of the same Todd Rundgren song. You viking types can pick your favorite version:
Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me (1972)

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think I saw Gordon Lightfoot yet:
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an amusing anecdote about this next song. In '84 when NATO started to put in GLCMs and the new Perhsings into Europe. All of our bases were getting protestors. One day they came for our base. I was crewing a CRASH truck called a P-4. John-John was driving for me, and we had two German state police officers in the back seats. We were all in our early 20s, so we talked about the same things, chicks, beer, music etc. The truck had all of the usual radio nets on it, plus an extra radio, so we cold listen to music during the boring "wait until somebody does something stupid" phase of the night's curriculum. This song came on. All four of us knew it, so we just started singing it!! I said "let's change the words (to the chorus)." So, it became "commies to the left of me, nazis to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you." We were having fun until it was time to go to work.
Stealers Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You (1972)

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
That song leads us into this song which was always appreciated on the typical late 70's American High School Friday night Cruising scene, oddly enough. (The song was really out of place compared to the rest of the music.)
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street (Official Video)

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Thursday Night after Football practice cruising songs:
Pablo Cruise Whatcha Gonna Do Live 1977

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
So, you guys by now understand how there's nothing men cannot do after swimming, pregnancies, etc. Let's add this next song from our next musical guest to the list! La Chanson is a song style from France that can be simply put as "sad girl sings about heart break." KD Lang described herself as a Chanson when she first hit the scene. You may remember that when you first saw her, you thought to yourself, "hey! I didn't know Martin Sheen could sing!" Yeah! That chick. Anyway, our first song from Ambrosia hits it out of the  park!

Next song is because of the cover art: white dude with a fro! What the hell's he thinking???

Our last selection is to show some musicianship:

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#26]
I'm putting myself on time out as I have to get tajin poulet avec abricot started. These things don't cook themselves. Have a good day. Been fun.

ETA: Tomorrow chicken!!! In the mean time for those that hate corporate radio because it truly sucks, here's another Air Force Vet's take on it:
George Carlin - Wonderful Wino (Top-40 Disc Jockey) - RCA (Comedy)

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Got some time to knock out a few more. First Up is Gamma:

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#30]
Here is CA, we have Nortenos. First, in no particular order, is El Chicano, then Malo. Both are from SoCal. Up here, everybody just sort of integrated thinking it was no big deal in the first place. Down South, this was how it was done.
Viva Tirado - El Chicano (1970)
El Chicano - Tell Her She's Lovely

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
One thing that fascinates me about this thread, is how many exceptions need to be made for songs made between say ~1967-1969. Including me, in my own OP.

Sort of makes me wonder if I fucked up, and should have just praised the last three years of the 60s instead.
View Quote
Nope, the borrowing of musical elements, plus the zeit geist of the times is what it is. Record companies would like you to believe otherwise that way they can buy catalogs cheap telling people that "your time is up!" and here's more money NOW than you'll get later.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Up here we had a bunch of great drummers. Two of the best were David Garibaldi of the USAF and Tower of Power, and MIchael Shrieve of Santana and our next musical guest, Automatic Man. Not to be confused with the Automatic Man of that guy that did the Flash Dance music. Two different things, people!! I need you to believe me!!!
Automatic Man: Automatic Man

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#33]
Originally Posted By Treadhead:
Yeah, disco sucked and all but I always liked this little piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdEhvuNxV8
View Quote

Thelma Houston with Henry Davis of LTD on bass..

Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (Single Version) [HQ Audio]

He also played on Diana Ross’ Love Hangover.

LTD’s Back in Love..
L.T.D. - Back In Love Again (1977 HD 720p)
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I was in the 9th-12th grade from 1970-1974 and in college from 1974-78.

Prime years of my youth.

1970s music sucked big time. This thread abounds with prime examples.

1970s culture sucked (except for guns, cars, motorcycles and sex).

1970s politics sucked.

1970s economy sucked.

We came alive in the 1980s. We turned the corner on everything.

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:37:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeeFred] [#35]
Originally Posted By Treadhead:
OK, I'm really going to bed now but I HAVE to put this one up.  'loved this one for decades now.  This song IS "The 70's" to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZc7ZQURMs

View Quote

Al Stewart could paint pictures with his words:  "She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running, like a watercolor in the rain"
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#36]
This next one is Classic. There were many Dutch groups that did very well with the Rock and Roll.
Golden Earring - Radar Love (Official Music Video [HD])

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#37]
This guy was pretty popular here in the Bay Area in '75. I think it was '76 he was the musical guest for Saturday Night Live when they were funny.
Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#38]
By now, everyone has hopefully seen Doc540's photos. That's how I remember women, teenage girls on down to my age looking. It was a great time to be a heterosexual. Today, that sort of thinking will get me arrested and sent to the hoosegow. (That's a Jail for you non-Westerners. It's a corruption of Mexican Spanish for those that were wondering.) Here's just one of the hot chicks that could fill both my ear holes:
LAY DOWN Melanie & The Edwin Hawkins Singers LIVE '70 (Candles In The Rain)

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Now for you kidsters who worship at the musical styles and renderings of the '80s, here's where it started with The Jam and Squeeze.
The Jam - That's Entertainment
Squeeze - Cool For Cats (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#41]
This guy's from Jolly ol' England (which I found suspiciously like East German when I went there.)
Ian Dury and The Blockheads – Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick (Official HD Video)

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Tommy James told the Shondells to wait for him at the bus while he went to get his smokes, but then he started a solo career instead:
Draggin the Line - Tommy James

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I really can't see myself posting about that ol' farmer, The Boss! But, his Boss in the beginning was this guy:

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#44]
Originally...Posted...By...Subnet:

I...too...grew...up...on...the...Dukes...of...Hazzard,...and...am...very...familiar...with...Boss...Hogg...lingo....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally...Posted...By...Subnet:
Originally...Posted...By...zoinks:
By...now,...everyone...has...hopefully...seen...Doc540's...photos....That's...how...I...remember...women,...teenage...girls...on...down...to...my...age...looking....It...was...a...great...time...to...be...a...heterosexual....Today,...that...sort...of...thinking...will...get...me...arrested...and...sent...to...the...hoosegow....(That's...a...Jail...for...you...non-Westerners....It's...a...corruption...of...Mexican...Spanish...for...those...that...were...wondering.)...Here's...just...one...of...the...hot...chicks...that...could...fill...both...my...ear...holes:
...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5...lk9wjZI......

I...too...grew...up...on...the...Dukes...of...Hazzard,...and...am...very...familiar...with...Boss...Hogg...lingo....
LOL

(You'll...have...to...pretend...there's...two...little...guys...rolling...on...the...floor...laughing...there....Won't...come...up...for...me.)
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:22:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#45]
(The Fix is in!)
So, now that we've all had our little laugh, chuckle or guffaw, I used to sing this song to the love of my Life, in the 3rd grade. This is for you Toni !!!!

Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Okay,...I...broke...arfcom....I'm...leaving...the...country.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:27:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sabrev65] [#48]
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son (Official Video)

Atlanta Rhythm Section - So Into You (original)
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
This is a change of direction song. Jimmy Caster was a fairly decent saxophonist, but this is how he made is real money:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRXQEA0yj0
View Quote

Lol, I was just thinking about this song a few days ago
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#50]
We have (had?) a strange problem with the WYSIWYG editor, on iOS, on Safari, with ellipses. If you clear your cache (you'll have to log in again - I'm not aware of how to clear just the cache, minus cookies, on an iPhone or iPad), this will go away. Make sure you remember your email address and password.

Long story. Just...clear your cache, and you'll get the latest javascript code for the editor, that fixes this. Apologies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zoinks:
Okay,...I...broke...arfcom....I'm...leaving...the...country.
We have (had?) a strange problem with the WYSIWYG editor, on iOS, on Safari, with ellipses. If you clear your cache (you'll have to log in again - I'm not aware of how to clear just the cache, minus cookies, on an iPhone or iPad), this will go away. Make sure you remember your email address and password.

Long story. Just...clear your cache, and you'll get the latest javascript code for the editor, that fixes this. Apologies.
10-4, I shall now engage in error  correction.

I'm using a PC BTW. I also had hiccups while searching through youtube looking for videos. But Thanks in any event.
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top