Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By G1F2-EE:

Lol, I was just thinking about this song a few days ago
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G1F2-EE:
Originally Posted By zoinks:
This is a change of direction song. Jimmy Caster was a fairly decent saxophonist, but this is how he made is real money:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRXQEA0yj0

Lol, I was just thinking about this song a few days ago
He followed Troglodyte up with a song called the "Bertha Butt Boogey." So, why don't I go and look for it instead of tell you about it. I might be sleepy. BRB.

Jimmy Castor Bertha Butt Boogie

He really was a decent sax player, but he did make a lot of money with these novelty type songs more than he would have from club dates.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/WIN_20220606_23_55_55_Pro-2410076.jpg

Your very 70s DJ for the evening, looking very 1970s. It's how he's wired. Genetic defect.
View Quote
The War ended, Bro! It'll be okay. Management will let you chose 4 songs per hour...until they hear from Corporate.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Elephant in the Room time: Queen, the group.
Huge impact not only in terms of the popularity of their Front man, but in lyrical composition, musicianship, audio production values and live show production. If you wanted to be not just popular, but have an effect on your Art as a whole, then these guys were all that with Mercury on stage.
I'm ambivalent about them. Not really my cup of tea, but they affected a lot of things in the '70s and '80s.

Football games in High School, we would be greeted with the songs "Another one bites the Dust" and "We are the Champions." We slaughtered teams we played in any event, but I blamed Queen for this annoyance.
Drew, our strong side safety once said that he didn't think Queen did it on purpose. Now Drew was a good kid. We would see each other with our families at Sunday Mass. Drew was also the good looking one of the team. Damn near a pretty boy. I reminded Drew that his job on the team was not to think, but to get us chicks. I hate those damn songs, so I won't be posting them.

The first Queen song I heard was "Sheer Heart Attack." A little back ground here is needed. I've been playing instruments since the 2nd grade. I played all kinds. I was pretty mercenary about it, and like most kids that played different instruments, you would be playing in multiple bands. We all knew each other from various shows and stuff. So, while I was a 7th grader, I got invited to hang with the older kids on Saturday mornings where we would discuss music. I was officially a "cool kid." One Saturday morning, the album Sheer Heart Attack was up. Now, we didn't know anything about Queen. We didn't know that this album was a huge departure from their first two albums which were practically unknown in our neck of the woods. I did hear "Keep Yourself Alive" which I thought had good lyrical content and some fine production values, but there was a lot of stuff in the Market that I preferred. We gave the album a shot.
First Queen I paid attention to:

It's actually a pretty damn uncomfortable song for 5 kids entering puberty. The whole damn album was that way. But, like I wrote in the first part of this post, it had all the things needed to be great and it was, but it's not my cup of tea. First thing we thought is that they're all gay. I'm mean, they're English, right! Made sense at the time. Turns out we were proportionally incorrect on that matter.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]
This one is from 1979:
David Bowie - DJ (Official Video)

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:00:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#8]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBo-JIUkxkw

We're going to groove, children.
View Quote
That guy was good. His music way more interesting than most of the stuff we had to listen to on AM. I'll never know why or understand how something like Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show could get air time with "Sylvia's Mother," while Dr. John said he was at the right time and at the right place, but it turns out he wasn't. and Now I need to find that song.
Dr. John - Right Place Wrong Time
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Queen has a public statement to make about the "Radio."
Queen - Radio Ga Ga (Official Video)

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Back to Queen, these two were, I believe the term is Double A-side on a single. Singles had a A-side and a B-side. "Bicycle Race" and "Fat-Bottomed Girls." There was actually a film made of naked women riding bikes for "Bicycle Race." I saw it in 1978. It was an Art Film. Say that with me, please: an Art Film. Some French guy directed it and it had like 50 or 60 women in it riding bicycles naked. Feel good movie of the year.  A Tour de force. It made Ben Hur look like an Epic. I tried to find the original for you guys because we're friends and all. I failed you. Best I could locate is an age restricted version on youtube which is probably the "clean" filtered version they processed because the original was being banned in a number of countries. The damn thing wasn't Deep Throat! Adults, right?
Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls (Official Video)

The age restricted version for those of you with an account, but again, they hide from us the parts that fascinate us:
Queen - Bicycle Race (Official Video)

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's two Queen songs I actually like!!!! Wonders never cease!
Queen - Under Pressure (Official Video)
Queen - Sleeping on the Sidewalk

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, it's segue night. Here's an Elton John song, and why would he care????
Elton John - All the Young Girls Love Alice (Yellow Brick Road 12 of 21)

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This next Canadian played with musicians of such greatness as Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorias, and she was still insufferable. Here's the song that saved Joni Mitchell's life if the Revolution had happened:
HQ JONI MITCHELL - HELP ME BEST VERSION! High Fidelity Audio Remix HIGHS EVENED OUT

Next up we have a bunch of working class English who were in multiple bands throughout the '60s. They really weren't doing anything different musically than any one else, so that just leaves the need to impress people with a good live performance. This was their only hit in the US of A:
Ashton,Gardener&Dyke-Resurrection Shuffle-#11.*Top Of The Pops 70s*

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:20:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#14]
Earlier in the thread, there was only a solitary David Bowie song, just one. Short shrift! David Bowie was a great song writer from both a creative standpoint and a technical stand point. Oddly enough, up until the time he formed up Tin Machine in the late '80s, he put in '50s doo wop modals and elements in the majority of his songs. Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, The Thin White Duke, '50s doo wop. It makes me laugh. The other things these characters had in common that they lived in societies that were degenerate and devoid of religion and spirituality. I know because of the outlandish customs, the rumors around his life, and the nature of the lyrical content, it didn't seem that way.
Bowie would become his characters at a cost of cocaine addiction, mental health issues and some medical health problems. He was a committed artist, so he lived out the degeneracy, and it came at a cost to himself. None of the characters he created were happy well adjusted people. They were all on a path of self-destruction. Ziggy actually committed suicide. These albums were all cautionary tales, not let's emulate this bad behavior.
Too many songs to list out the proof, so just some high lights that I like.
From Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars:
Moonage Daydream (2012 Remaster)

Aladdin Sane, Panic in Detroit:
Panic in Detroit (2013 Remaster)

There's a number of songs from the Thin White Duke days, some created during his Berlin period, and some after he left Germany.
Golden Years (2016 Remaster)

There's literally more where these all came from. It's a fairly accurate way of finding out what society was like in the West during this time. Drug fueled and crime ridden with political terrorism happening constantly. He's got a lot of that in his music at this time period set to '50s doo wop, even though he was doing Glam Rock at the time. He used Aladdin Sane as a way to kill off Glam Rock. Glam lost it's edge soon after to the point that even Queen changed their stage performances to get a way from the more outlandish elements. We wouldn't see Glam's modified resurgence until the '80s Hair bands from SoCal.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Pink Floyd - Animals (Full Album) 1977

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Aka Donnie Iris!
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]

This one has a lot of meaning these days...
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#18]
The Knack - My Sharona (Official Music Video)

Summer of 1979 - I remember it well! (And the Colt SP1 AR-15 I had at the time.)
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#19]
"Ride Me High"

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Ace (with Paul Carrack) - How Long • TopPop
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Randy Newman - Short People (Official Video)
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
"Ride Me High"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPrnlREAQ-g
View Quote
Prime Choice!! I have to admit to my own bias here. JJ Cale was always just the "cocaine" guy. I saw enough of that stuff and what it did to people that I never got past that one song of his. Besides, I had Ry Cooder and T-Bone Burnett to listen to! Thanks for the find!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Delaney and Bonnie were far more influential to other song writers and musicians than they were popular with the Masses unfortunately. Eric Clapton joined up with them after Cream broke up and before he went solo. They also had at least one song in the Movie Vanishing Point which is a great film from 1970 or -71. They best work was in the late '60s, but these two songs were very popular in '72:
Delaney & Bonnie with Duane Allman - Only You Know And I Know 1971

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Almost bed time!! The B-52s are up next. They're from Georgia, Athens, GA, and I'm not familiar with Georgian geography or culture to know if that's significant. The B-52s are as unique as Devo is even though they were pigeon holed in something called New Wave which I guess was supposed to be more profitable than Punk was which didn't turn out to be that profitable for record companies or clubs.
In high school at the time, one could not dance to Led Zeppelin's Dancing Days are Here Again with a female partner. But you could with Devo or the B-52s!! (Disco turned out to be a pretty fascist elitist drug fueled movement for the upper classes, drug dealers, used car dealers and those gold diggers that were good looking enough and had two nostrils which is why it only lasted almost 4 years before we as a Nation moved on.)

I read a lot of your guys posts. I picked this song for its title. You know who you are!!!

I've always liked this last song. A little girl looses her boy to another girl and tries to make a deal with her to get him back. The emotion that the Wilson chick can put into the vocal is very impressive. I can't sing. I  bark out words trying to remain within the same chord structure.
B 52's - Give Me Back My Man • TopPop

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ye-oQXC6l4

Aka Donnie Iris!
View Quote
I'm piggy-backing off you, BerettaGuy!

Donnie Iris was in the Jaggerz, but he was also in Wild Cherry, but after they had the following hit:
Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music

Iris was in Wild Cherry for their follow up hit to this one which I have been really struggling to remember, but simply can't. It was a good song, but not as popular as the one above.
Story time. Record companies used to put out marketing type demo records where they explained to us kids the direction music was moving to and that we should start buying these artists now!!! They were always wrong, of course, because no one can predict the future. But, Donny Iris was on one of these, and this was probably his biggest hit ever:
Donnie Iris - Ah! Leah! (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]
And now a word from our Sponsors about "Punk Music."

It pretty much mostly sucked in the '70s. Iggy Pop is considered either proto-punk or the God Father of Punk, but I don't think that's accurate at all. Iggy Pop is a closet intellectual, and his music never described self-destruction even though his personal behavior bordered on it.

But, then the Sex Pistols come along, and they are the archetype of Punk. It's all about anger and self-destruction which is why real punk bands disintegrate quickly while Iggy Pop has released something like 49 albums or at least one very two years.

What were the Sex Pistols like, a gentle reader may ask? Welp, they sounded like shit, but had fans, thousands upon thousands of them, and that's all you really need. Other wise, outside of the Sid and Nancy stuff, they were a typical band dealing with record company and publishing company sharks and the Pistols were way out of their element there.

But I come not to bury the Sex Pistols, nor really praise them. I just wanted to mention Johnny Rotten, real name John Lydon. Crass, aggressive and angry, but also one of the most honest human beings on the planet. He will tell you without shame where he fucked up, and what he learned from it, AND if he actually become a better person for it. There are not that many people like that on the planet at any given time.

After the Sex Pistols destroyed themselves, Lydon started Public Image Limited which still tours to this day. Their best work was done through out the entire '80s, but here's something from 1978 that if you were too skip, you could still live a full and productive life. But the stuff from the '80s is worth a listen!

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#30]
When I was in Tech School at Chanute AFB, I went to see one of my guitar heroes playing at the 21 Club in Champagne-Urbana: Leslie West, all 300 lbs of him. I love DEVO, too. These two were at least recorded in 1979.
Devo - Freedom Of Choice (Video)

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Disappointing that I haven't seen any ZZ Top in this thread.

LaGrange
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#32]
It turns out that I completely missed looking at pages 6 and 7 and duplicated some video postings. Apologies to you all and to site resources!
To make up for my sloppiness, this is from Blue Cheer's last album in 1971. It would seem a death and some jail time put a hold on the Band's history for at least a decade.
For those of you non-San Franciscans, I can explain Blue Cheer this way. You know how loud, noisy, and cognitive dissonant Punk bands were?
Ha! Amateurs!
Blue Cheer was measured to be as loud as a 747 on take off and their 1968 album "Vincebus Eruptum put people in asylums until they closed those places down.
Blue Cheer - I'm The Light (US 1971)

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#33]
Funny story about our next band, Journey. (I saw that someone already posted a Journey video, but this is different as you all will see.)
Time frame was after Football season Jr year, so the very beginning of '78.
Dean, Frank and I, aka Mickey Mouse Motors, were putting together our version of a super Camaro to run at the World's Premier Drag Strip known as Fremont International Speedway. The stated goal of the project car was to ensure that passengers with certain attitudes that we found offensive would lose control of their bowels in a high speed pass. We realized we would need vinyl seats and have no carpet on the floor board.

So, we caught the end of a news story that the band Journey was adding a new member. They had a clip of the person singing video'd from a distance as they were just beginning a new tour with a new album and a new sound. The person I saw, and bear in mind that I couldn't make out all the details because of my distance to the TV, plus the distance the camera video'd the segment, I saw a tall burnette, slightly willowy with her front buttoned blouse folded from the bottom through the top to sort of high light her breast which was a pretty common fashion look those days which no one I knew complained about. I thought to myself, that woman has got a big vocal range, but a real flat chest. Maybe that's not the look for her while on tour. And that young lady was Steve Perry who brought fame and fortune to a local home grown band. And now you know the rest of the Story!
Journey - 1975 - To Play Some Music
Journey - I'm Gonna Leave You

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#34]
https://youtu.be/af0rV6dli_o

Winters brothers Tobacco Road live. Crazy good.

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I had the cassette this was on, Raunch 'n' Roll. It was a hot pink cassette tape.

Black Oak Arkansas - Hot Rod

HOT ROD LIVE BLACK OAK ARKANSAS
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#36]
It is unreal how much of the music posted here I have. I probably have more than I don't.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, someone else started it with this album:

Queen - All Dead, All Dead - At Last, the Video!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#38]
BLACK SABBATH - "War Pigs" (Live Video)
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Donnie Iris was in the Jaggerz, but he was also in Wild Cherry, but after they had the following hit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZsNksbw2Q

Iris was in Wild Cherry for their follow up hit to this one which I have been really struggling to remember, but simply can't. It was a good song, but not as popular as the one above.
Story time. Record companies used to put out marketing type demo records where they explained to us kids the direction music was moving to and that we should start buying these artists now!!! They were always wrong, of course, because no one can predict the future. But, Donny Iris was on one of these, and this was probably his biggest hit ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh5kuxnDUc8
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ye-oQXC6l4

Aka Donnie Iris!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZsNksbw2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh5kuxnDUc8

Great! I first saw Donnie at Idora Park in Youngstown, Ohio in 1982. He played all around the area and grew up right over the PA line. His greatest hits album/CD is awesome, lots of great stuff. Awesome performer and I've seen him live about four times. When they would do a double concert with Mochael Stanley Band in the 1980s, it was probably the best live show Ibhave ever been to. He is close to 80 and still performing. A cool video to watch is when he hosted MTV for a day as a guest VJ around 1982 or 83 when his hit Love I'd Like A Rock came out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:42:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dissident] [#40]
Here's two versions of the same Todd Rundgren song. You viking types can pick your favorite version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DkQQY7TL0U https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLeCB7Kn-VE
View Quote

I always thought that the glitzy glitter ziggy stardust persona Rundgren was doing was a really weird fit with that song.  

Al Stewart + On The Border (1976)

Into the Mystic (2013 Remaster)

Peaceful Easy Feeling (2013 Remaster)

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#41]

Great! I first saw Donnie at Idora Park in Youngstown, Ohio in 1982. He played all around the area and grew up right over the PA line. His greatest hits album/CD is awesome, lots of great stuff. Awesome performer and I've seen him live about four times. When they would do a double concert with Mochael Stanley Band in the 1980s, it was probably the best live show Ibhave ever been to. He is close to 80 and still performing. A cool video to watch is when he hosted MTV for a day as a guest VJ around 1982 or 83 when his hit Love I'd Like A Rock came out.
View Quote
I have no idea as to why a talent like Donnie Iris doesn't make a bigger impact. When people hear the music, they enjoy the music. Still, there's some reason why the people at the top make it to the top. The French have an expression: je ne sais quoi.
It would really suck for Donny Iris that the only reason he wasn't nationally well known was because of his birth control glasses. It could also be that he was not prepared to hand over control of his life, his work, and his art over to people (the gravy train) who are there to specifically make money off of him.

ETA to fix spelling and grammar because apparently I didn't pay attention in school.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#42]
Originally Posted By Dissident:

I always thought that the glitzy glitter ziggy stardust persona Rundgren was doing was a really weird fit with that song.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb64V18-WkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbZf8GY1-Ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPctA0hT9c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exiyXAV-aVQ
View Quote
No idea what the hell he was thinking!! He wasn't a handsome man to begin with, so jumping off a 10 meter board into a 5 ft pool with that look was...yeah, weird seems to hit the nail on the head. Somebody posted above Rundgren doing Black Maria. His look his even weirder with that song.
He was/is talented, though.
But you have segued into our next guest. A potent rival to Bowie on the Glam Rock front.

ETA to fix spelling and grammar because apparently I didn't pay attention in school.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
P.S. "Into the Mystic," is that a song or a song-and-a-half or what? It's always been on my "perfect song list."
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#44]
Marc Bolan of Tyrannosaurus Rex. Talented guitar player. Gun Shy about adventurism musically. Sold musical sex to women where ever he played. Rival to Bowie!!!!!!!!!  

That last sentence fragment. I think this is why Bowie had Ziggy Stardust commit suicide instead of just disappearing back into Space with the Spiders from Mars. (That's a weird thing to read if you have absolutely no knowledge of the time period. LOL)

Anyway, getting back on point and not beating around the bush, I didn't get the appeal then, but I understand it now. I listen to his stuff from time to time, but it's within a certain context of me thinking of at least two women. The music fits them.
He was not musically adventurist, but a well regarded guitarist. To me, it was almost always the same rhythm and the same beats per minute. When I was in the Air Force and going to Texas for Air Force stuff, there are some women in Texas that have this long, slow and low drawl that I can listen to all day long even if they're just calling me a son-of-a bitch. That's the rhythm cadence is was using.  

Get It On - Marc Bolan & T. Rex

Second video is introduced by that one German chick from Bremen TV. I loved being stationed in Germany.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Funny story about our next band, Journey.

So, we caught the end of a news story that the band Journey was adding a new member. They had a clip of the person singing video'd from a distance as they were just beginning a new tour with a new album and a new sound. The person I saw, and bear in mind that I couldn't make out all the details because of my distance to the TV, plus the distance the camera video'd the segment, I saw a tall burnette, slightly willowy with her front buttoned blouse folded from the bottom through the top to sort of high light her breast which was a pretty common fashion look those days which no one I knew complained about. I thought to myself, that woman has got a big vocal range, but a real flat chest. Maybe that's not the look for her while on tour. And that young lady was Steve Perry who brought fame and fortune to a local home grown band. And now you know the rest of the Story!
View Quote

I saw Journey in '78. They were in the "Summit" in Houston. AC/DC, Journey, and Aerosmith all in the same show. It was the "Infinity" tour for Journey. AC/DC was between the "Power Age" and "Highway to Hell" albums, with some of the songs coming from the Highway to Hell album.

AC/DC and Journey were awesome. Aerosmith SUCKED ass. We got up and left half way through their set. We felt like we got our money's worth from AC/DC and Journey. The ticket price was $8.65. I still have the ticket stub...
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#46]
P.S. "Into the Mystic," is that a song or a song-and-a-half or what? It's always been on my "perfect song list."
View All Quotes

It's a top ten of my favorites.  I've always liked Morrison and there's usually a song or 2 of his in almost every one of my playlists.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Tin_Star:

I saw Journey in '78. They were in the "Summit" in Houston. AC/DC, Journey, and Aerosmith all in the same show. It was the "Infinity" tour for Journey. AC/DC was between the "Power Age" and "Highway to Hell" albums, with some of the songs coming from the Highway to Hell album.

AC/DC and Journey were awesome. Aerosmith SUCKED ass. We got up and left half way through their set. We felt like we got our money's worth from AC/DC and Journey. The ticket price was $8.65. I still have the ticket stub...
View Quote
Bon Scott was an incredible "Front Man" for an archetype "Rock n Roll" band. One of the greatest. He put the human face on the high energy music. He was a great show man!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I wasn't a fan of Loggins and Messina, but they weren't on the list because they were unobjectionable. HOWEVER, one of their songs is one of the great songs (always IMHO).

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#49]
As far as the great Southern Bands are remembered, I don't think many people know of these guys. Great Band!! Still touring!!! Please to enjoy:
Dixie Dregs - 01 - Take It Off The Top

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Someone already posted a song from "The Cars", but this time, we shall focus on Benjamin Orr, the other lead vocalist and the bassist.
Orr was one of the few people that could actually sing/vocalize as a male/hombre in the rock n roll genre. Most men don't sing very well in Rock, but it's never really been a requirement, and that's one of the great things in Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orr was a multi instrumentalist, so his playing bass probably was out of the necessity of not finding someone. He was a pretty good guitarist (not as good as Elliot Easton) and a very decent drummer. The man could sing. He could actually go into another octave without difficulty (vocal range,) plus he could inflect notes with control even when holding the note. That's like hitting .400 in the Majors. I was always impressed with the way he could control his voice. Two Big hits from the late '70s:

Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top