Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
2020?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious how it compared in magnitude to the Texas City explosion of the same type. 2100 metric tons of ammonium nitrate in that one in 1947.
View Quote

Texas City was two explosions from two different ships.    I think both were about the same size as the Beruit blast although they were staggered in time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In all the videos I've seen of that explosion I'm always surprised that nobody seems to take cover from the incoming pressure wave. People are fucking clueless, especially in Beirut apparently
View Quote

Fight flight or freeze.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most people going around their daily business that have never been exposed to HE  going off and seen a pressure wave would not know what they were even seeing until it was too late.
View Quote

If you saw the initial blast and seen its size you could might react and lay flat or jump to a low spot.  

You see smoke rings popping out of the blast you your about to have your hair blown back if you don't hit the dirt.    
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, that was incredible in terms of scale and scope. Never seen anything like it. Really did seem like a nuke going off.
View Quote

Other than the flash, and radiation after-effects that's what a tiny nuke would look like.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In all the videos I've seen of that explosion I'm always surprised that nobody seems to take cover from the incoming pressure wave. People are fucking clueless, especially in Beirut apparently
View Quote

How often do you practice experiencing a small nuclear blast?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fight flight or freeze.
View Quote

Yeah in that vid you can really tell most people just have no clue how to react, the first one where its close and nearly instant you can understand how fast that happens. The 2nd one you have a split second of oh shit. And in the third one you can see the dude start to process and flinch away from it only to come back a second later. And I'm sure he survived even though you can see the building/him shake from it. Not sure on the first two.

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What did they blame that one on?

View Quote
Explosive decomposition of ammonium nitrate .  Same thing that happened in West, Texas .

Fertilizer plant explosion caught on cell phone cam

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

*ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws7DgCj-0Hc

Moral of the story: STOP LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW AT EXPLOSIONS!
View Quote
I was surprised at how many people spoke English.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
The most impressive footage IMO was the guy filming from a boat.... Could see the bubble, the wave through the buildings then coming across the water.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Taco Bell.  The burritos, man… whew.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]
That single incident caused the resignation of the Lebanese government and paved the way for the Hezbollah take over unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, it was a warehouse. I should've said "in the city/urban center" instead of "land." I was originally misremembered and was thinking the blast came from a ship, like the older port explosions.

Directly from the blast, about 220 dead and 6,500 injured.
Longterm health issues from toxic exposure could be anywhere from a few hundred thousand upto ~2.5million.

Thanks. My quick google search wasn't very successful at finding a good comparison model.
I was assuming the blast energy would compress the water somewhat but thinking about it now, it would mainly be moving horizontally, and therefore, at most just clipping the tops of the waves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know the impact of it being on the water front vs a similar sized event happening on land?

I would assume the water would absorb some of the energy but would it redirect it, especially since the area was relatively open and flat before getting into the city/buildings?

Think it was a warehouse.

How many casualties?

Yeah, it was a warehouse. I should've said "in the city/urban center" instead of "land." I was originally misremembered and was thinking the blast came from a ship, like the older port explosions.

Directly from the blast, about 220 dead and 6,500 injured.
Longterm health issues from toxic exposure could be anywhere from a few hundred thousand upto ~2.5million.

Quoted:

Water does not absorb it. It will redirect it though.

Thanks. My quick google search wasn't very successful at finding a good comparison model.
I was assuming the blast energy would compress the water somewhat but thinking about it now, it would mainly be moving horizontally, and therefore, at most just clipping the tops of the waves.

Water doesn’t compress until extremely high pressures, even an explosion like that wouldn’t compress it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#14]
The  brisance of an ammonium nitrate based explosion is a snails pace compared to military grade stuff

"duck" a shockwave?
How fast are we talking?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The  brisance of an ammonium nitrate based explosion is a snails pace compared to military grade stuff

"duck" a shockwave?
How fast are we talking?
View Quote
Internet says 1,400 to 1,600 meters per second (speed of sound is 343 m/s).  So it's supersonic but if you're far enough away you still could have enough time to react.  In some of the videos they had time to duck if they had realized what was happening.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:56:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"duck" a shockwave?
How fast are we talking?
View Quote
N/m
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"duck" a shockwave?
How fast are we talking?
View Quote

I've seen Will Smith outrun dozens of explosions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Internet says 1,400 to 1,600 meters per second (speed of sound is 343 m/s).  So it's supersonic but if you're far enough away you still could have enough time to react.  In some of the videos they had time to duck if they had realized what was happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"duck" a shockwave?
How fast are we talking?
Would love to see a graph of particle velocity, and how it breaks down with distance as it goes transonic.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#19]
2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate
23 tons of fireworks
5 rolls of slow-burning detonation cord, and
1,000 vehicle tires

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was confiscated ammonium nitrate from a shipping vessel that sat at/in the pier warehouse in poor conditions for too long, and the primary fire ignited it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Amazing footage, especially the coverage from so many angles.

It would be interesting to see how a ship laden with an explosive material order that was abandoned in port here would be handled.

The contents of the warehouse if even half true is beyond pants on head dumb.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Haven't seen that video and glad other people still remember and care about that blast.  There were a lot lessons that were learned and relearned from it.

A good source that also had the best information days before the normal news bothered to pick it up  is shipping/defense /energy (oil to wind farms)/piracy/ through more  sea& ocean  industry news website called GCaptain,

The Beirut explosion

https://gcaptain.com/tag/beirut-blast/ for all their articls and the photos. I added few hopefully the direct linking works.

Also IF you want to see where an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object https://gcaptain.com/category/accidents/ will show you how much  damage can be done  by large but slow moving masses on the site.  

Their email list is actual a good news source, no matter how you feel about covid, Gcaptain  noticed that all the normal shipping traffic just almost completely stopped from China , it was weeks/month plus  before their New Year's Holiday slow down. It was just so WTF? Something major was up there, but what..... What you'll see in the newsletter effects what you'll have the pumps and on the shelves in the stores in few months, so a good quick thing to skim for early warnings signs.  

Like this before after image from https://gcaptain.com/beirut-blast-blamed-on-chemical-cargo-removed-from-ship-in-2014/

A combination of satellite images shows the port of Beirut on June 9, 2020 and on August 5, 2020, after an explosion. Satellite image ?2020 Maxar Technologies/via REUTERS.

That little white ship rolled over in the above photo , across the port, zoomed in to help with scale

More photos and information about the ships in the port at the time  of that BIG Boom!

https://gcaptain.com/ais-data-shows-ships-in-port-at-time-of-beirut-explosion/

More articles and images , as mentioned above,
https://gcaptain.com/tag/beirut-blast/

The part that sucks even more Beirut was actually enjoying the first real peace period in decades and then this time bomb goes off.   Like fuck they can't catch a break....
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:52:20 AM EDT
[#23]
The Orient Queen, 423ft long, for reference.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws7DgCj-0Hc

Moral of the story: STOP LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW AT EXPLOSIONS!

The "WTF is that?!" Lady was the best
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but you're being a bit unrealistic with your expectations. Unless you have actual experience in dealing with a particular situation it takes a person's brain a few moments to process what's going on and make sense of it. 99.99% of the world doesn't have experience in dealing with large explosions, and certainly nothing like that. The time between the explosion and pressure wave in the opening shot of that video was around 2 seconds max. I'm sure you would have Supermanned your ass out of the area and to safety in less time though.

In other words,

https://media1.tenor.com/m/ZtVlPtCiEa8AAAAd/thumbsup-jennifer-lawrence.gif
View Quote

plus its like watching a silent movie... no noise until the shock wave hits... NOBODY expects a 2 kiloton explosion from a fire
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#26]
It doesn’t seem possible that it only killed 200 people.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#27]
It was killing people driving in their cars on a nearby highway... just from the over-pressure.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How many casualties?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know the impact of it being on the water front vs a similar sized event happening on land?

I would assume the water would absorb some of the energy but would it redirect it, especially since the area was relatively open and flat before getting into the city/buildings?

How many casualties?

It was grain silos. Touched off by repair work with a torch that was in close proximity. the Silos had been full of grain for many years for a deal gone bad and working its way through their justice system. So lots of gas.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top