[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want a “Micky Corvette”
View Quote
Love the new paint job
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends. If Black Mirror counts as sci-fi (and in the classic sense, it does), then I would put it as #1.

I think the Expanse is better than Altered Carbon, although AC is good. Probably the best space centered sci fi show ever.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Martian space marine super women was it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted to like and watched it enough to not be able to stomach the overly SJW trend in the female leads.
Good show but meh.
We must not have watched the same show.

There was no strong woman putting a man in their place, mary sue, bullshit like Star Trek or Star Wars.

There was a bitchy old UN politician who was honest when the rest of the UN was a corrupt oligarchy, but she was useless in a fight.

There was the badass Martian space marine, but she was a super soldier and there were other badass men, like Amos.

The captain and pilot of the Rocinante were dudes. Miller, the grizzled detective was a dude. Hell one of the heroes, Fred Johnson is a businessman.
There were lots of awesome roles, no forced SJW bullshit.
The Martian space marine super women was it.
It didn't peg my give a fuck meter.

She was a jarhead in a mech suit.

She got her ass kicked outside of it, but because she's a combat trained marine she's more competent than civilians.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched 3 or 4 eps a few years ago.  Can't remember why I  lost interest but I did.

Will have to give it another chance.

I love Thomas Jane plus the creepy/crazy Mormons in space thing is a guilty pleasure for an agnostic former mormon like me lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The Expanse Renewed for Season 5!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, even if it is the best (which I dont really have an opinion on), it'll soon lose the title when Eisenhorn comes out.  Our IP will crush all false and heretical IPs
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This post killed my enthusiasm. Altered carbon sucked
View Quote
yes it did
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm watching it currently. Jury is out on if it beats Altered Carbon, but I think that yes, I'd agree it's so far the best space sci-fi I've seen.
View Quote
I have never heard of it but want to see it now. I loved Altered Carbon though it had too much sex. My pause reflexes are getting bad with age when my young one walks by.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The Expanse - You're Not That Guy
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Battlestar Galactica is better.  Sorry.  It just is.

We are rewatching it right now and it's phenomenal. Acting, storyline, grittyness, way above any other sci-fi movie or series.
View Quote
I would agree with you if the show continued to be as good as the first couple seasons.

The latter half of the show was not as good as the first, and the ending was dogshit.

Final judgements can’t happen till the expanse is over, but it is seemingly getting better and better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want to bang the Belter girl that's captain of the Mormon ship.
View Quote
Drummer is MINE! Take a hike!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would agree with you if the show continued to be as good as the first couple seasons.

The latter half of the show was nowhere near as good as the first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are rewatching it right now and it's phenomenal. Acting, storyline, grittyness, way above any other sci-fi movie or series.

The latter half of the show was nowhere near as good as the first.
Blame the writer's strike for that. Lots of shows got fucked because of it
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I liked the shit out of Altered Carbon. I think they're apples and oranges though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm watching it currently. Jury is out on if it beats Altered Carbon, but I think that yes, I'd agree it's so far the best space sci-fi I've seen.
I liked the shit out of Altered Carbon. I think they're apples and oranges though.
This, Altered Carbon is more Blade Runner. I am still on the first season of The Expanse and it just isn't grabbing me. I need to sit down and binge the rest of the season to see if I can get into it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Poll Fail.

No "I'm a Sci-Fi fanatic and never heard of it" option.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Poll Fail.

View Quote
It’s right below “I live under a rock”
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The Expanse is great, but its second to BSG.

I like the physics used in The Expanse, and it has a ton of potential, but so far it lacks the suspense in every episode that BSG held.

BSG's end wasn't even bad to me.

The weird common mormon theme between both shows is weird though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Drummer is MINE! Take a hike!
View Quote
I claimed first rights, she's mine, it's Belter law.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it's got a ways to go yet to beat the character arc of the second season of Firefly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The latter half of the show was not as good as the first, and the ending was dogshit.

Final judgements can’t happen till the expanse is over, but it is seemingly getting better and better.
View Quote
Books 5&6 (will probably be seasons 5-6)are the best books IMHO, so the best is yet to come
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I enjoy it, happy to see Amazon pick it up for season 4 & 5
Thomas Jane was my fav character, so of course they killed him off

Although, the OP not watching Battlestar Galactica definitely puts them on the ??? list if they are talking about Sci-Fi TV shows.
The original BG was good, watched them all. The Katee Sackhoff era BG was even better, except for the series end, that kinda went off the rails...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Poll Fail.

View Quote
You're in the wrong place then.... Let's space this guy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Poll Fail.

View Quote
If you've never heard of The Expanse, you're not a Sci-fi fanatic.

Sorry dude.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI. Altered Carbon is legit
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Poll Fail.

View Quote
you should fix that.

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is my opinion also. It's been a while since I watched BSG, I do remember being a little disappointed in the finale. Maybe I need to go back and rewatch it. Also, The Expanse is an ongoing series. It's been really good so far, but it's impossible to judge the series until it's over.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Expanse is great, but its second to BSG.

I like the physics used in The Expanse, and it has a ton of potential, but so far it lacks the suspense in every episode that BSG held.

BSG's end wasn't even bad to me.

The weird common mormon theme between both shows is weird though.
View Quote
We excel at making weirdass made up stuff
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We excel at making weirdass made up stuff
View Quote
I was thinking the Navoo was gonna be the first tribe to leave kobol

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#28]
God, I loved that scene.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is my opinion also. It's been a while since I watched BSG, I do remember being a little disappointed in the finale. Maybe I need to go back and rewatch it. Also, The Expanse is an ongoing series. It's been really good so far, but it's impossible to judge the series until it's over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing that was really annoying about BSG and it's demise as a series was it's unquestionable success on Friday nights.  It got popular and was moved to a more "preferable" time slot.  Monday? Then Thursday?  Something like that.  It hurt it's ratings.  

Then they go and kill the series. Several good series seemed to meet this kind of end.  Successful in a "bad" time slot, they get moved, then falter and get killed.

I had remembered the 3rd season of BSG as not that great, but after watching it again, it was just the "New Caprica" episode that was tough to watch,  and not because of being bad, it was just that sick feeling in your stomach as our hero's had to endure terrible circumstances and the choices they made that formed and cemented their characters.

I enjoyed the 3rd season much more this last time.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it better than Firefly?

I don't know.  It's different from Firefly.

They're both space sci fi, but it feels off to compare the two.  Stargate as well, for that matter.

Those shows are science FICTION, but the expanse feels more like science FUTURE... like that is really what space travel will be like.

Eh, just my opinion.

Full disclosure... the Expanse in only the second tv show that I wear t shirts that reference.... the first was firefly.  Jury is out on whether my Pur Kleen shirt is cooler than my Blue Sun shirt.
View Quote
Must admit that I have a pur kleen shirt. Don't think anyone I know gets it though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#31]
My youngest son has never seen The Expanse.  We started watching the first season this afternoon.  It's very good, as I remember,  but no where even close to BSG.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have never heard of it but want to see it now. I loved Altered Carbon though it had too much sex. My pause reflexes are getting bad with age when my young one walks by.
View Quote
I will admit, that is a big negative for AC. There's a whole lot more sex and nudity in that show than is necessary to get their point across, and at some times it felt a bit gratuitous. Within the context it was largely excusable as to why the characters were acting in such manners, it just wasn't something I cared to have plastered all over my screen. If nothing else, the lack of "overkill" in TE so far is pretty big bonus points. I'm still working through SE1, but the more I watch the more I think y'all might be right on this being the best Sci-Fi show - at least out of the few that I've watched.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Those shows are science FICTION, but the expanse feels more like science FUTURE... like that is really what space travel will be like.
View Quote
It's hard science fiction.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Frankie Adams is distracting me with her "boyfriend's shirt is falling off the morning after" outfit in this cast interview:
The Expanse Season 4 Cast Interview
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Frankie Adams is distracting me with her "boyfriend's shirt is falling off the morning after" outfit in this cast interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImMWEiWHRQ
View Quote
Another reason the show is successful is the cast seems to really like working with each other.

Exclusive Story Session With The Expanse Cast SDCC 2019 | Prime Video
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#37]
It's REALLY hard for me to pick a winner between the Expanse and BSG, and BSG is probably my favorite show of all time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

BSG was awesome ... right up to the completely idiotic ending that ruined the entire show.
View Quote
I’m a sucker for good sci-fi, but never could get into BSG. I think I made it through a whole season before I stopped watching.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Also, even if it is the best (which I dont really have an opinion on), it'll soon lose the title when Eisenhorn comes out.  Our IP will crush all false and heretical IPs
View Quote
Wait, what? There’s an Eisenhorn series coming out??? Tell me more.

On second thought, they’ll surely screw that up. I strongly doubt anyone can do justice to the books.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wait, what? There’s an Eisenhorn series coming out??? Tell me more.

On second thought, they’ll surely screw that up. I strongly doubt anyone can do justice to the books.
View Quote
GeeDubs has licensed it out to the production studio that made Man in the High Tower.  Yes, it's still possible for them to SJW it up or screw it up with lazy writing...etc. but I have guardedly high expectations.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poll Fail.

Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I claimed first rights, she's mine, it's Belter law.
View Quote
by your law she’s MINE!

I claimed her like six Expnse threads ago...
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You can't change my mind because you are wrong if you don't agree.

It's better than all the campy, cheesy, sjw infected star treks.

It's better than Stargate which got really stupid.

It's better than firefly, even though firefly was a decent show.

I admit I haven't seen battle star Galactica. But it's probably better than that.

It's also better than the star wars movies taken as a whole. The original 3 are good films but the rest dilutes the quality.

If you haven't seen it, go on Amazon prime. It is really well done.
View Quote
It's extremely good.

Between it and Altered Carbon it's a tough decision....and the new Battlestar is very very good too...

At any rate disagreeing would be pretty nitpicky, so I'll just agree that it's a great show.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Poll Fail.

View Quote
If you haven't heard of it, you're not as much of a Sci-Fi fanatic as you think you are.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I’ve never seen it therefore I disagree

Because if it were good I’d have watched it therefore it can’t be.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Doesn't beat BG.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You can't change my mind because you are wrong if you don't agree.

It's better than all the campy, cheesy, sjw infected star treks.
Agreed

It's better than Stargate which got really stupid.
Stargate Universe had potential to compete, but failed

It's better than firefly, even though firefly was a decent show.
Killed too soon :(

I admit I haven't seen battle star Galactica. But it's probably better than that.
OG ones were fun for what they were.  Caprica was meh

It's also better than the star wars movies taken as a whole. The original 3 are good films but the rest dilutes the quality.
Rogue One was the only recent Starwars worth a damn But its a movie vs a tv series.

If you haven't seen it, go on Amazon prime. It is really well done.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#48]
...laughs in Babylon 5...
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't know that I can call it the best ever, but I also can't think of anything I'd put above it, at the moment, so I'm not going to argue the point.

I usually tell people I'm trying to talk into it that it's the best SciFi since the re-imagined BSG, but I also find myself often wondering if that is doing a disservice to The Expanse.

It's one of those once in a very great while type of shows.

It will always be one of the greats.

And, I'm absolutely giddy to hear that Amazon has already confirmed a fifth season.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

BSG was awesome ... right up to the completely idiotic ending that ruined the entire show.
View Quote
Yes. That and the "everyone has a huge character flaw" stuff.

Seriously, EVERYONE in the series was fucked in some way. It was pretty off-putting after a while.

Neither was enough to make me hate the series, but it does take some of the enjoyment out of it for me. It's still one of the best SciFi series ever made.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top