Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/25/2024 8:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy]
…for making really cool shit that works well.

My friend got his ship notice tonight.

If you come to the Appalachian Apocalypse in a week we will have one to check out!

I have a Rattler 640. I can tell you this, I will get one of these as well having already played with one this past winter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet

What’s the specs on this one?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
They need to get the IRIS to the market fucking soon. I’m growing impatient.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
Sweet

View Quote

It’s 256. But I am fine with that as it is for more close in. My rattler is magnified and it’s a pain up close.

This one has some neat features and while it is clunky compared to a red dot…it is small compared to a thermal.

Holosun
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Bottom window is thermal? Top is a micro red dot?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
you bastards are going to make me buy my first holosun
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:38:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#6]
Originally Posted By Norsk:
View Quote

The top lens is the thermal sensor. You only look through the main window. This optic can be used as a red dot without thermal or you can overlay the red dot with thermal in various modes including a cool outline.

What I think is awesome is its usability as home or farm defense weapon day or night, same optic and same rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

It’s 256. But I am fine with that as it is for more close in. My rattler is magnified and it’s a pain up close.

This one has some neat features and while it is clunky compared to a red dot…it is small compared to a thermal.

Holosun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Sweet

Holosun

Welllllll....that's really fuckin cool.  That seems wild to get into thermal at that price. Red dot + thermal sounds tightAF.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Its long but he breaks it down pretty well. Worth it? Eh....Thats up to the user but I can definitely see strong use cases for it

The Holosun Thermal/Red Dot Hybrid | A Revolutionary Optic?

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
How long does the battery last?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm very interested in one of those, can't wait for the reviews
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Its long but he breaks it down pretty well. Worth it? Eh....Thats up to the user but I can definitely see strong use cases for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSa1xVMLw50
View Quote

Two minutes for me and I knew it was worth it.

Hell I will probably buy the demo we will have at the event. My friends shop will have eight which will be on sale that weekend…damnit, I just bought an M1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#14]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
How long does the battery last?
View Quote

“Up to 10 hours of battery runtime for the thermal sensor and over 50,000 hours of runtime for your red dot gives users an optic that can keep up with the most demanding tasks.”

“If thermal isn't needed for the task, simply flip down the front lens cap and use the DRS-TH just as you would any of our traditional red dot optics giving you the best of both worlds.”
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Gimmicky, not that useful. Looks great at SHOT, but out in the field not so much.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Hell I will probably buy the demo we will have at the event. My friends shop will have eight which will be on sale that weekend…damnit, I just bought an M1 Carbine.
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSa1xVMLw50

What are you putting it on?

Looks like it might be good on a suppressed 9mm pcc
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]
When you ignore patent law and only pay the tiniest fraction what others do for R&D,... you can make some pretty cheap and decent stuff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]

What are you putting it on?

Looks like it might be good on a suppressed 9mm pcc
View Quote

Maybe a 8.5”.300. Suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
When you ignore patent law and only pay the tiniest fraction what others do for R&D,... you can make some pretty cheap and decent stuff.
View Quote

"Oh well.."  The US market has been asking for more affordable versions of both thermal and NV for YEARs and it's fallen on deaf ears.  This is what happens when you ignore a massive segment of the market; someone else swoops in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
The thing that makes me pause on this, and other thermal red dots like the Sig one, is that thermal is for detection and I2 or white light is for identification.

A buddy in FL has bought and sold a few Sig thermal RDS thingies, and I goofed around with one a couple years back, and I just didn’t see the appeal.

The low resolution and small FOV make me think swinging a gun around with this on top to detect is suboptimal. And once you detect something the low resolution is going to make shoot/no shoot tough.

May as well use a legit 1x thermal scope for night time chicken defense….or not.

I’m interested to see your take on it, OP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
View Quote
When your domestic options dont give a flying rats ass about the consumer market and just gargle the .gov's balls you'll get importers that are happy to fill that void.

Meaning we better be thankful Holosun decided to take our money, because it just aint green enough for most of the others.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
The thing that makes me pause on this, and other thermal red dots like the Sig one, is that thermal is for detection and I2 or white light is for identification.

A buddy in FL has bought and sold a few Sig thermal RDS thingies, and I goofed around with one a couple years back, and I just didn’t see the appeal.

The low resolution and small FOV make me think swinging a gun around with this on top to detect is suboptimal. And once you detect something the low resolution is going to make shoot/no shoot tough.

May as well use a legit 1x thermal scope for night time chicken defense….or not.

View Quote

The resolution was fine for the 200’ I used it in and I think this is probably best at 150 yards or so.

But I didn’t find the field of view small.

However, in a week I will have spent much more time with it along with 70 other ARFcommers so we can likely have a decent baseline of opinions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]

MAP is $1600 which is what they will be at my friends shop…maybe less that weekend ;)
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Didn't they announce two versions of the thermal unit at SHOT with one having a better thermal detector called the PRO?
Could not find any info on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
Didn't they announce two versions of the thermal unit at SHOT with one having a better thermal detector called the PRO?
Could not find any info on it.
View Quote

I am unaware of this and the rep didn’t mention it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#27]
Digital?… what’s the delay like for a moving object?

Digital in the past has been garbage.

I’m not bagging on Holosun I own quite a few.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By m200maker:

View Quote

We will put it to the test during the NV and thermal trials.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#30]

The top lens is the thermal sensor. You only look through the main window. This optic can be used as a red dot without thermal or you can overlay the red dot with thermal in various modes including a cool outline.

What I think is awesome is its usability as home or farm defense weapon day or night, same optic and same rifle.
View All Quotes

My 8.2” 300blk will probably end up with one of these for exactly that purpose. It currently has a Ta33/507. This seems awesome for the price at the ranges I would use it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#31]

View All Quotes

I’m seriously interested especially before I throw down almost 2k.

As I updated my original reply. I’m not bagging on Holosun. I have quite a few of their dots and like a couple of them a lot. They make great dots.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#32]
This was originally developed for the Chinese po-po.

Their laser and IR illuminator model was made for the Chinese Armed po-po.

Either way, both have probably tested on Muzzies beheaders in their western desert region and southern jungle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Says it is 50 frames per sec on the specs.  The thermal scopes I and others have are also 50 fps and they work fine on the incoming predators.  If you plan on shooting things that will be hauling ass side to side you may get some lag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm excited for it to get out there so I can here some feedback on it. If it's worth it, I'll probably get one for my chicken coop defense rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I hate being poor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#36]
Originally Posted By GAcop:
I hate being poor.
View Quote

If you saw the military firearms I sold to buy my NV and thermal you would weep…it was worth every penny. I will sell everything I own down to a single pistol and AR before I get rid of my thermal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#37]
Originally Posted By GAcop:
I hate being poor.
View Quote

Isn't...Isn't this thermal for poors?
Isn't that the appeal?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone know the estimated detection range on a 50+ pound mammal?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting. I'll probably wait for V.2.   But they sure would make sense on a shortie 300blk.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
Does anyone know the estimated detection range on a 50+ pound mammal?
View Quote

We will find out in a week. We will also see if it can defeat thermal netting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I want for suppressed MP5 night missions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
They need to get the IRIS to the market fucking soon. I’m growing impatient.
View Quote

THIS!!!! I NEED an IR laser bad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Was surprised with the image quality and how intuitive they were at the NRA show
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#44]

View Quote

Low res is probably fine for most people.

Let's say I put it on my HD gun.  At 2am if there's a human shape,  it shouldn't be there.   If my kids are spending the night, if it's an adult human shape, it shouldn't be there.  

If I'm out at 5am walking to the deer stand it would be nice to see what rustle over yonder (I mean, I have a pvs-14, but you get my point).

Sure you aren't capping pigs at 500 yards, but it's the wrong tool for the job.

Hopefully this spurs some local, on the board,  companies to make a competitor.  Cuz I'm not a huge Holosun fan, but this might make me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

All thermal is digital

50hz spec should be fine in real world use
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Let's say I put it on my HD gun.  At 2am if there's a human shape,  it shouldn't be there.   If my kids are spending the night, if it's an adult human shape, it shouldn't be there.  

If I'm out at 5am walking to the deer stand it would be nice to see what rustle over yonder (I mean, I have a pvs-14, but you get my point).

Hopefully this spurs some local, on the board,  companies to make a competitor.  Cuz I'm not a huge Holosun fan, but this might make me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

You can definitely get good low resolution thermal for less, but how this is implemented is very interesting

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Unrelated but can someone bum me $2000?

I’m good for it but promise not to pay it back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Fuck, that does sound useful.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 10:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#49]

I am unaware of this and the rep didn’t mention it.
View Quote

Ok it was mentioned in the Firearmblog from SHOT 2023 as prototypes.

It said the PRO was to have a sensor resolution of 384×288. They have re-named the units since it was announced at SHOT 23. Perhaps the the PRO version was dropped or possibly in the works for a later release.
" />

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/01/17/shot-show-2023-holosuns-promising-thermal-night-vision-hybrid-red-dots/
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#50]
When your domestic options dont give a flying rats ass about the consumer market and just gargle the .gov's balls you'll get importers that are happy to fill that void.

Meaning we better be thankful Holosun decided to take our money, because it just aint green enough for most of the others.
View Quote

Ayup!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top