Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 3:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glck1911] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Wish we could get a real LAM illuminator at a decent cost , bonus points if you can upgrade the diode to real output levels vs the night light regulated output levels.

View Quote

You don't need/can't use a LAM with thermal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Did I make it in before arfcom?

Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

What do you mean by "creature ID?" What conditions?  Is it "Hey I see something out there"? "Hey there's a person out there"? or "Hey I can tell those are hogs and not deer"? How experienced are you?  

I only ask because telling the difference between animals at that distance can be pretty difficult for a lot of people even with higher res units. Just trying to get an understanding of how much of your impression is the unit vs you just knowing what you are looking at.

View Quote

Ah, moderately? I have a variety of other thermals and have used them in enough training exercises to know what I generally want out of a given kind of thermal (clip on, dedicated, etc.).

This is not for hunting. There are much better thermal optics for that. I'd place this squarely in the "for 2A purposes" category. "Creature ID" = that's a dude with a gun vs. a deer. You're not generally getting target ID (i.e., Joe vs. John) at extended distances anyway regardless of the thermal optic, unless you're using a dedicated long range thermal rig.

Honestly, the use case for a sight like this is kind of unique as the concept just didn't really exist until now, but I see this being ideal as part of a night operations loadout. I'd want solid NV capabilities for movement/target ID, definitely still a weapon mounted LAM, but having thermal as a means of passive aiming? That's fucking game changing as far as I'm concerned. Passive aiming is a really poor solution in general (relatively speaking), and this gives you the ability to scan as well without needing an additional thermal device for that. It's just...efficient in terms of workflow.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
How long does the battery last?
View Quote

Dunno but it comes with 2 sets of rechargeable side loaded batteries. So you have a set of in the field spares included.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:

Ah, moderately? I have a variety of other thermals and have used them in enough training exercises to know what I generally want out of a given kind of thermal (clip on, dedicated, etc.).

This is not for hunting. There are much better thermal optics for that. I'd place this squarely in the "for 2A purposes" category. "Creature ID" = that's a dude with a gun vs. a deer. You're not generally getting target ID (i.e., Joe vs. John) at extended distances anyway regardless of the thermal optic, unless you're using a dedicated long range thermal rig.

Honestly, the use case for a sight like this is kind of unique as the concept just didn't really exist until now, but I see this being ideal as part of a night operations loadout. I'd want solid NV capabilities for movement/target ID, definitely still a weapon mounted LAM, but having thermal as a means of passive aiming? That's fucking game changing as far as I'm concerned. Passive aiming is a really poor solution in general (relatively speaking), and this gives you the ability to scan as well without needing an additional thermal device for that. It's just...efficient in terms of workflow.
View Quote

Great explanation.  Thank you.  I'd agree this isn't the jam for hunting, but does seem like it would go nicely on a NV rifle meant for other things.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I'm thinking too. Rats in the barn and midnight defense of the chicken coop from vermin.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

The resolution was fine for the 200’ I used it in and I think this is probably best at 150 yards or so.

But I didn’t find the field of view small.

However, in a week I will have spent much more time with it along with 70 other ARFcommers so we can likely have a decent baseline of opinions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
The thing that makes me pause on this, and other thermal red dots like the Sig one, is that thermal is for detection and I2 or white light is for identification.

A buddy in FL has bought and sold a few Sig thermal RDS thingies, and I goofed around with one a couple years back, and I just didn’t see the appeal.

The low resolution and small FOV make me think swinging a gun around with this on top to detect is suboptimal. And once you detect something the low resolution is going to make shoot/no shoot tough.

May as well use a legit 1x thermal scope for night time chicken defense….or not.

I’m interested to see your take on it, OP.

The resolution was fine for the 200’ I used it in and I think this is probably best at 150 yards or so.

But I didn’t find the field of view small.

However, in a week I will have spent much more time with it along with 70 other ARFcommers so we can likely have a decent baseline of opinions.

The FOV on the Sig was pretty bad. If Holosun has made it cover enough area to not require you to scan left and right constantly it might be far more useful.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Is that your impression when you looked through it? I found it absolutely fine for the ranges I would utilize it at.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavScout:
That is an abomination! The image sucks too so good luck.

Is that your impression when you looked through it? I found it absolutely fine for the ranges I would utilize it at.

I think it was kind of an expensive toy, it is lighter than the big AGM’s and such but I find those so nice, it is really not something I would want to downgrade from for this. Perhaps there are plenty of uses for a 3 in 1 or 2 in 1 design but really seems limited.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 20andOUT:
I can’t get the idea of one of these on an integral 22 for rodents out of my head.  I think it would be a fun project.
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking too. Rats in the barn and midnight defense of the chicken coop from vermin.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By kab85:
I can get these like $600 under MSRP with my dealer pricing.

Hmmm
View Quote

Dang, now for that? Yeah I would buy one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
When your domestic options dont give a flying rats ass about the consumer market and just gargle the .gov's balls you'll get importers that are happy to fill that void.

Meaning we better be thankful Holosun decided to take our money, because it just aint green enough for most of the others.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
When you ignore patent law and only pay the tiniest fraction what others do for R&D,... you can make some pretty cheap and decent stuff.
When your domestic options dont give a flying rats ass about the consumer market and just gargle the .gov's balls you'll get importers that are happy to fill that void.

Meaning we better be thankful Holosun decided to take our money, because it just aint green enough for most of the others.

You certainly have a way with words.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine just came in. Cool as shit.

I own other higher resolution thermals but fuck…you’re getting creature ID with this out to 300 along with the ability to make hits out of a $1600 optic that’s also a day optic.

I mean damn. It’s game changing to be sure. Works well with a magnifier too.
View Quote

Sttttopppppppp.

/sigh

But also... does it have a NV mode to use the red dot under a PVS-14?
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:54:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaverickH1] [#13]

View Quote

At one point we had a raccoon snacking on all of our ducks.  We ended up losing all 7 over the course of 2 nights.

I'd go out with my "night gun" and my thermal monocular.  I could easily spot the obvious raccoon 40 feet away in the thick underbrush under thermal.  Impossible to find with NV or flashlight.  It would move maybe 3' when I switched from thermal to flashlight.  Just enough to lose it.  The moment that I finally had it in my sights I had to take a moment to orient myself to make sure I knew what was beyond my target.  That delay let it get away.  

At that point only 2 of our ducks were dead.  It came back to kill them all, ate their faces and their asses out, then came back to snatch another.  Trapped that fucker 2 days after and executed it during the day.

But that sounds like it would be a PERFECT use case for this.  Although spending $1600 to protect some ducks is pretty dumb.

But we are set up for survival.  And nobody around us is growing food and they know it.  There is no shot longer than 50 yards on our property because of the vegetation.  Except maybe in winter.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MaverickH1:

Sttttopppppppp.

/sigh

But also... does it have a NV mode to use the red dot under a PVS-14?
View Quote

Why yes...yes it does

That said, I'm not sure I can envision a scenario where you'd want to use passive aiming with NV through the red dot rather than the thermal function...I'm sure one exists but nothing comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Why yes...yes it does

That said, I'm not sure I can envision a scenario where you'd want to use passive aiming with NV through the red dot rather than the thermal function...I'm sure one exists but nothing comes to mind.
View Quote

It'd be a rare use case... but it's one of those things I definitely "want" in a thermal/red dot combo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Hmmm
View Quote

You're my new best friend
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:05:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#18]

I own other higher resolution thermals but fuck…you’re getting creature ID with this out to 300 along with the ability to make hits out of a $1600 optic that’s also a day optic.

View Quote

Nevermind, answered
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
If the initial real world reviews are decent I will be putting one on my 8.3 300. It is one of my shtf guns, the other has a lvpo and is in 5.56. The 300 has a dot now, so it will still have a dot just with added abilities.

I will still keep white/ir light on it as well as a ir lazer as it just compliments each other very well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#20]
So is the long distance resolution shitty on these things or what? Is this like an under 50 yards sight? What are we looking at? I know zip about thermals but a $1,000 thermal sight is very appealing to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sdc360] [#21]
Ill stick with my sig echo... I can pic out rabbits running around at 200 yards and deer at 5-600.

Its not exactly  high end but the different color options really make things pop... Makes it really easy to pick out what your looking for even at 1x

My wife feeds our barn cats and apparently cat food is like crack to trash pandas... Pretty easy getting head shots at 50 yards and you can even see the thermal trace of your round going in.

Crummy potato pic, this mode makes the heart/head hot spot areas red... Pretty handy for hunting situations
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Forgot about these, seems like it's been awhile since any news has emerged

Definitely on my list.

I have no thermal or NV. I'm guessing the thermal would be the way to go for shtf use and varmint situations?

Sorry if dumb question, just never had anything like this in my budget until now
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:

Definitely on my list.

I have no thermal or NV. I'm guessing the thermal would be the way to go for shtf use and varmint situations?

Sorry if dumb question, just never had anything like this in my budget until now
View Quote

Thermal is a life changing event. I will go down to a single pistol and rifle before I get rid of thermal. Once you have it you quickly realize just how vulnerable you really are at  night and the only way to defeat an adversary with thermal…is to have thermal yourself.

People call it a super power. That’s an understatement.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Thermal is a life changing event. I will go down to a single pistol and rifle before I get rid of thermal. Once you have it you quickly realize just how vulnerable you really are at  night and the only way to defeat an adversary with thermal…is to have thermal yourself.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:

Definitely on my list.

I can imagine it is a game changer. A weapon light just doesn't cut it in most cases.

Love to see everyone's reviews on these.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

The FOV on the Sig was pretty bad. If Holosun has made it cover enough area to not require you to scan left and right constantly it might be far more useful.
View Quote

Which is what I'm hoping for
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#26]
The problem with the SIG models, is you're still focusing on a screen a few inches from your face. With the Holosun, you're looking THROUGH the thermal image, not AT it; your visual focus is still downrange. Better for quick shooting, and easier on the eyes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 9:15:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#27]
Originally Posted By rudderbutter:
The problem with the SIG models, is you're still focusing on a screen a few inches from your face. With the Holosun, you're looking THROUGH the thermal image, not AT it; your visual focus is still downrange. Better for quick shooting, and easier on the eyes.
View Quote

This, have played with both, and the Holosun is a much more useful optic.
Close the front cover and you can zoom the thermal image on it's own.
Open the front and you have a red dot with it t without thermal overlay.
The outline function is the least obtrusive, it's like playing Crysis...
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Thank you for the feedback, I'm excited to hear more people put hands on this.

Might just have to drop some coin.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Hmmm
View Quote

Well share the wealth, that like your woman showing off her tits without being able to touch them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sdc360:
Ill stick with my sig echo... I can pic out rabbits running around at 200 yards and deer at 5-600.

Its not exactly  high end but the different color options really make things pop... Makes it really easy to pick out what your looking for even at 1x

My wife feeds our barn cats and apparently cat food is like crack to trash pandas... Pretty easy getting head shots at 50 yards and you can even see the thermal trace of your round going in.

Crummy potato pic, this mode makes the heart/head hot spot areas red... Pretty handy for hunting situations
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54198/AFF5BA5A-0DCA-4681-9268-A18C4C002D45-2826380.jpg
View Quote

Not really comparable; what sets the Holosun apart is the ability to use it as a day optic as well.

I think for me, the point of a GP rifle for the modern "irregular" (or whatever you want to call yourself if you take the intent of the 2A seriously and train/equip yourself accordingly) is to have something that's going to do every job kind of good-ish, as you likely won't know much about what you're about to get into if you ever have to grab it in a time of need. That's the use case I see the Holosun filling. Thus far from my very limited testing, it's probably going to be a winner.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Tagscribed for review
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 11:41:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bizzarolibe] [#32]
Ok I really debated posting this but 1) I’m on a 4 year old iPhone SE (lowest quality camera in an iPhone) and it’s a still from a video…while it was raining…

But even still you can get an idea of usability. Car is about 110m (confirmed via rangefinder), house behind it is 125ish.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By zukguy:

Well share the wealth, that like your woman showing off her tits without being able to touch them.
View Quote

Yeah. If you've going to post that up then hook us up
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 11:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#34]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

You don't need/can't use a LAM with thermal.
View Quote

No kidding.
(some of us have both)

Laser illuminator / LAMS are the most overpriced item on the market and neutered to boot.
Lots of good NV and thermal options.

Link Posted: 9/27/2024 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JKH62:

No kidding.
(some of us have both)

Laser illuminator / LAMS are the most overpriced item on the market and neutered to boot.
Lots of good NV and thermal options.

https://i.imgur.com/EvDkVbK.jpg
View Quote

I hear ya.  This is a thread about thermal so I thought we were talking about thermals.

Yeah, the Laser market is nuts.  We can't get (afford ) any of the good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 12:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GordonFreeman1] [#36]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
In before the Ping Ping meme!
View Quote

GD is slipping…

I’m in for reviews but will likely wait for Gen 2
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Why yes...yes it does

View Quote

I can see it if you're walking around with your nvg. I imagine the thermal image being too bright and washing out/gating the nvg
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

agree. i’ve got duals and two thermals - i’m AMAZED at the shit i cannot see with nods, yet CAN with thermal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

I can see it if you're walking around with your nvg. I imagine the thermal image being too bright and washing out/gating the nvg
View Quote

I'm one of those weirdos that rocks a single PVS-14 over my non-dominant eye. After taking a few NV classes (and doing some night FTX's), I just found passive aiming to be impractical, and for other reasons relating to my individual gear setup I opted to go monocular + COTI on non-dominant eye.

Now if you're running dual tubes, yeah that becomes an issue if you have to shoot quickly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#40]

I'm one of those weirdos that rocks a single PVS-14 over my non-dominant eye. After taking a few NV classes (and doing some night FTX's), I just found passive aiming to be impractical, and for other reasons relating to my individual gear setup I opted to go monocular + COTI on non-dominant eye.

Now if you're running dual tubes, yeah that becomes an issue if you have to shoot quickly.
View Quote

I use a -14 as well. I tried to use it on my non dominant eye and I didn't adjust well to it. I also (oddly) found that I hit it on the optic on my rifle all the time. I moved the aimpoint forward and switched eyes with the nvd and found it works better for me, both shooting and walking around.  Passive aiming through the red dot was a bonus
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I have no formal training and this is where I landed, too.  Just by walking around the property and engaging make believe targets like I did when I was 10.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The Holsuns are knock offs. Buy the actual Holosuns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
When you ignore patent law and only pay the tiniest fraction what others do for R&D,... you can make some pretty cheap and decent stuff.
View Quote
can you give some details?
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TLD05:
I want for suppressed MP5 night missions.
View Quote
lol same

2k is still steep for me, I only have an 11" penis and I'm only 5'9 so I'm not up to most arfcommers standards

I can sell some of my guns and get one, just not gonna be an early adopter for 2k
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Tests what I have, and I'm still ready to try this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sdc360:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54198/AFF5BA5A-0DCA-4681-9268-A18C4C002D45-2826380.jpg
View Quote

Smoke them whilst dropping a deuce?
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Shooter66:

Says it is 50 frames per sec on the specs.  The thermal scopes I and others have are also 50 fps and they work fine on the incoming predators.  If you plan on shooting things that will be hauling ass side to side you may get some lag.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shooter66:
Originally Posted By m200maker:
Digital?… what’s the delay like for a moving object?

Digital in the past has been garbage.

I’m not bagging on Holosun I own quite a few.

Says it is 50 frames per sec on the specs.  The thermal scopes I and others have are also 50 fps and they work fine on the incoming predators.  If you plan on shooting things that will be hauling ass side to side you may get some lag.

If it is anything like video games, 50 FPS is trash. You'd want 180+, and more if you're talking about life and death.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#48]
We have neutrias dropping trees on our HOA lakeside trail. I have yet to spot them with muh thermal. I am guessing that the city would be miffed if I were to shoot one anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

If it is anything like video games, 50 FPS is trash. You'd want 180+, and more if you're talking about life and death.
View Quote

I don’t often offer true advice. But here is some…

Nothing…absolutely nothing…is like video games.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I don’t see this being useful at all given the specs and form factor/FOV, but I hope I’m wrong.  I’ll be looking forward to trying one out.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top