Buried Alive: the Nutty Putty Cave Incident
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That's gonna be a no from me dawg
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was younger I was a volunteer fire fighter and did "the tower" in full Scott pack.  The scariest thing for me was crawling through the "roof" part which was just big enough to fit through.  Mind you, you had another fire fighter in front of you, and behind you, in the dark, with smoke, and had to navigate 90 degree turns.

I had never been so claustrophobic before.  I still have no idea how I held it together, but I did.  And the instructors would stop the line for random amounts of time.  Just you, laying down, breathing inside bunker gear and mask.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The worst claustrophobic caving you will ever see. *TRIGGER WARNING

I like watching this guy's videos. He does some tight stuff that have me saying, "EFFF THAT!!!" Still an entertaining watch.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was younger I was a volunteer fire fighter and did "the tower" in full Scott pack.  The scariest thing for me was crawling through the "roof" part which was just big enough to fit through.  Mind you, you had another fire fighter in front of you, and behind you, in the dark, with smoke, and had to navigate 90 degree turns.

I had never been so claustrophobic before.  I still have no idea how I held it together, but I did.  And the instructors would stop the line for random amounts of time.  Just you, laying down, breathing inside bunker gear and mask.
View Quote

I learned in a similar course in confined space rescue that I as well do not like tight spaces.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJIO0YC8rE

I like watching this guy's videos. He does some tight stuff that have me saying, "EFFF THAT!!!" Still an entertaining watch.
View Quote

Fuck that shit!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Nightmare fuel is right. Terrible way to die.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]
God bless those rescuers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Terrible story.

I've seen a couple of videos about it, don't want to revisit it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Just no.
I read about this years ago. The images it leaves in your head reading about it….
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't watch it,  can't even think about it.   Claustrophobic in my old age .
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Big nope. I like some of the caves in VA. But If I cannot walk. Into it that is going to be a no from me. Squeezing into small crevices is not my thing! Damn sad and terrifying what happened to him. Took enough just to watch that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember hearing about that from a thread that was on here probably around 6 months ago and it still kinda freaks me out. That's a terrible way to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
That's not the worst one in Utah history.  There was an incident a few years earlier were four people drowned trying to swim through an underground passage in a cave:

"Cave of Death"
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's not the worst one in Utah history.  There was an incident a few years earlier were four people drowned trying to swim through an underground passage in a cave:

"Cave of Death"
View Quote
I remember that one, but being stuck upside down would be worse.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I had never heard of that until someone mentioned it on here recently.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Hard pass. I have no desire to do anything remotely close to that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Everytime I think or hear about this incident it makes my palms sweaty. Big big nope from me dawg.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fuck that shit!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that shit!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Such a horrible way to go.  I can't think of a worse way to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck that shit!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that shit!!

Yep.  F U C K That!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I went through that cave a few years before that incident with a scout troop. Dark and narrow. Once was enough but it was really sad how this man passed away.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

OMG, fuck that, Noooooo!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#26]
That sounds pretty fucking awful
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#27]
It's retarded they closed the cave forever
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Holy crap.

I’d never heard about that. Tough to watch, damn.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I went through that cave a few years before that incident with a scout troop. Dark and narrow. Once was enough but it was really sad how this man passed away.
View Quote
There are some old tungsten mines over by the mouth of Trout Creek canyon in the Deep Creek mountains by the NV border.  My buddy and I went exploring one about 25 years ago when we were out deer hunting.

We got about 100 yards in and I looked up and saw the roof timbers had been bent down by the pressure.  I realized if that collapsed we'd be trapped and likely dead since it would have taken hours for anyone to get there, even if they knew where we were.  I turned tail and got out immediately, and convinced my buddy to do the same.

I think the state has sealed it up since then, which is good thing.  It was a deadly incident waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope. Fuck all that.

I will never understand the desire to go into holes you can’t stand up and walk around freely in. Let alone underwater.

I get the spirit of exploration, but I still have the spirit of self preservation…

It trumps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
You think that's retarded, read some of the comments.

"imagine if they opened it up and he was still alive"
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since his body is still blocking the passage, I don't imagine it's that fun of a place to go anymore.  It's considered his grave now, so it's a good thing the souvenir hunters and morbid youtubers are being kept out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#33]
For the longest time I thought getting eaten by a shark would be the worst way to die.  Then I heard about this.

Luckily I don't believe I'll ever have to worry about either
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Seems like every 6 months or so we do this thread and every time I say “nope”.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Another similar but underwater. Guy dies and another fella tries to rescue the body but dies in the process. Then his rescuer almost dies. It's almost like it's dangerous

https://thoughtnova.com/bushmans-hole-tragedy-the-story-of-deon-dreyer-and-dave-shaw
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For the longest time I thought getting eaten by a shark would be the worst way to die.  Then I heard about this.

Luckily I don't believe I'll ever have to worry about either
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Since we're talking about caves and rescues, this is an awesome movie for those who haven't seen it.  But even though you know how it ends if you are any bit claustrophobic it will give you the willies.  

Thirteen Lives - Official Trailer | Prime Video

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Went in Nutty Putty a few times. Rather small with just a few "open" areas.

There are some serious sketchy areas that make you question your life's choices.

And I'm claustrophobic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nightmare fuel is right. Terrible way to die.
View Quote

Literally this. The whole damned thing was so terrible I don't even like to read or see pics of tight caves.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up exploring caves around my area, but stuck to areas where we could walk or crawl through. This is such a sad story.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been in a few caves and admit
they are incredibly facinating.
But what compels people to
challenge squeezing their body
through small underground cavities
where the penalty for failure is a
horror filled agonizing death?

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I started to watch the video and then came to my senses.  Nope.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Since his body is still blocking the passage, I don't imagine it's that fun of a place to go anymore.  It's considered his grave now, so it's a good thing the souvenir hunters and morbid youtubers are being kept out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it though?  After all these years it may not be, kind of warped thought but it may have fallen since it may not be wedged in anymore.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is it though?  After all these years it may not be, kind of warped thought but it may have fallen since it may not be wedged in anymore.

View Quote
Oh it's definitely rotted by now, and perhaps consumed by any rodents or other creatures that may be in the cave.  And the argument could be made to go in to retrieve the remains and give him a proper burial.

But I think the main reason is because they don't want to do rescues every weekend of dumbassed adventurers looking for a challenge.  Which is a good argument to keep it closed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Seemed like a lot of asshatery involved in the rescue attempt.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Sounds to me like he might have made it if the pulley anchors didn't fail.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread...

I wonder IF somehow they could have gotten some air to breath through a tube, fed it down to him and instructed him to keep it in his mouth at all costs, and then fill the hole he was in with water making him buoyant and rise up out of the hole backwards.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can't watch it,  can't even think about it.   Claustrophobic in my old age .
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#50]
There is a move on Amazon Prime about it called the Last Descent. Its good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top