Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
True Velocity should have won the contract, they were actually advancing the state of the art in terms of cartridge technology to relieve some of the weight penalty of going to a bigger caliber.

I think the smarter thing to do would have been to stick to the original objective of the program, which was to develop lighter weight ammunition to increase carrying capacity or reduce the weight carried by each troop.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In before Narphenal shits up the thread with over-the-top flexing on poors.
View Quote

Rent free.

God forbid someone with first hand experience post, it would take away from all the baseless speculation.
Quoted:

You can bet he’s not going to like this. At least no one has brought up Taylor Swift yet.
View Quote

Not going to like a YouTube video? Nah, mostly indifferent. People are allowed their opinions.

Most of the hate on the Spear is cope. The rest is people trying to place the blame anywhere other than where it belongs, on the initial requirements. It’s not Sigs fault the army set forth stupid requirements, nor is it their fault they had the best submission.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if there were people saying that the M1 Garand was unnecessary. Look at WWI and the Spanish civil war, bolt actions are just fine they worked in the past. This semi auto stuff is dumb and heavy.
View Quote

You could have replaced every M1 with a M1 Carbine with negligible impact.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As for the tactical application, eh… He’s not wrong, though I think removing LMG’s from squad level is dumb.

Problem I see is that the 249 is both heavy, and getting long in the tooth, and the 240 is a heavy bastard when you’re on foot and toting ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As for the tactical application, eh… He’s not wrong, though I think removing LMG’s from squad level is dumb.

Problem I see is that the 249 is both heavy, and getting long in the tooth, and the 240 is a heavy bastard when you’re on foot and toting ammo.

I saw a SOF dude talking about how you could pull the SAW if you added another M240 to the PLT. No idea what the implications of that are. Make a 20 pound M240 with ammunition that is 30% lighter and you are crossing the weight of the SAW with performance that exceeds the 7.62. I could see where that would be a big deal.

My experience with the SAW is in MLRS units. The SAW was a huge waste of time, I'd rather spend that money on a mounted MG and training.

Quoted:
I want to see the 5.56 caseless/cased telescoping LSAT. 10~12 pound LMG with ammo even lighter than basic 5.56, low recoil and accurate enough to punch out to the very limits of the cartridge. At that point, you could feasibly turn half the squad into machine gunners.

After the LSAT, the best option on the market is KAC’s assault LMG. Only question I have is how durable it is, it’s half the weight of the 249.

If you want an assault gun then you've got a lot of choices. The trouble isn't the gun, it is integrating it into the squad and figuring out how to use it.

Look at the arguments we have on this site about the difference between an AR and LMG...
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You could have replaced every M1 with a M1 Carbine with negligible impact.
View Quote

No, not negligible, the infantry would have been a lot more lethal and mobile.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Did anyone load one of these and drop it?  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Joglee thread?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah so the armchair flannel dude with the hat knows more about how to arm our army than the army...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
13lbs
View Quote

Keeps women and soy boys out of infantry.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
As far as over match this might provide some of the answer.

Raytheon Pike 40 mm Precision Guided Munition for the First Time at AUSA 2015 Washington DC U.S.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Because it's probably an anti-UGV rifle, the new cartridges are just a footprint for future fancy special payload ammunition types, and all that stuff about Russian advanced body armor was bullshit.

That tip design on the M855A1 looks pretty well suited for being swapped out with all sorts of small low-power one-time-use electronics, and that copper plug seems well suited for being swapped with a little thermal battery, just needs a bigger projectile. And these new case designs seem pretty well suited for custom tailoring propellant charges.

*cough*programmableirlasertracers*cough*
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah so the armchair flannel dude with the hat knows more about how to arm our army than the army...

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif
View Quote

Are you going to deny that the Army employs professional idiots or people that give sweetheart contracts to defense companies?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

Barrels are getting shorter partly because suppressors are becoming general issue and partly because long barrels suck balls for modern combat.

Ammunition is evolving to perform better in short barrels.  At some point, I have a feeling a viable bullpup will emerge and become a serious contender.
View Quote

GD/LS/Beretta/TV tried that with the RM277 & it went nowhere.

Army will always cling to the AR format under any name, like they did with the M5, which is just a FDE AR chambered in 6.8. Prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
what was the Sig competing against.   or was nothing else considered ?

View Quote

A bullpup design with recoiling barrel to mitigate recoil and used polymer cased ammo. A civilian version is going to be available, similar to how SIG released the SPEAR:

General Dynamics US Army Prototype M4 replacement NGSW 6.8mm

and another more traditional layout gun that had a new internal design not found in any other gun that used polymer telescoping ammo. It looked complicated but interesting.

Textron's NGSW 6.8mm Prototype M4 Replacement Deep Dive
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's crazy to expect 3000 fps with a 135 grain bullet from a 13.7" barrel. It can be done with insane pressures, but it is still a bad idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

Barrels are getting shorter partly because suppressors are becoming general issue and partly because long barrels suck balls for modern combat.

Ammunition is evolving to perform better in short barrels.  At some point, I have a feeling a viable bullpup will emerge and become a serious contender.

It's crazy to expect 3000 fps with a 135 grain bullet from a 13.7" barrel. It can be done with insane pressures, but it is still a bad idea.

These discussions are inevitable when big Army tries to make a single rifle do everything from clearing rooms to long range precision. It ends up being a clunky shitshow at both. It won’t be the first time they’ve done this, nor will it be the last.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Waste of time and money imo.
View Quote

Yep, a solution to a now apparent non existant problem
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]
For the life of me, I’ll never understand why the Army didn’t go with 1867 Werndl single shot rotating block rifles chambered in 11.15x58R Austrian Werndl.

Their decision has left me scratching my head.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]
At the beginning he admits:

- Never shot it
- No firsthand experience
- But he watched some videos on the interwebs.

Right or wrong, this is just another gun doofus spouting his ill-informed opinion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

- Never shot it

Right or wrong, this is just another gun doofus spouting his ill-informed opinion.
View Quote

You don’t need to shoot it to know how this old story goes. It’s been tried before.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I really feel like a white knight for saying this and I’m ashamed for doing so, but he’s a career SF guy and a member here.

His opinion may be wrong, but it’s not necessarily accurate to say he’s some doofus who has no idea what he’s talking about.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You don’t need to shoot it to know how this old story goes. It’s been tried before.
View Quote

Yeah, you don't have to shoot it to know that significantly heavier sucks and 100 is less than 210.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Should stick with 5.56

Going back to battle rifles is dumb
View Quote

Gotta agree with you on that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Let the Air Force run the competition, after all, that's how we ended up with the AR-15/M-16

6.8 would've been nice for Afghanistan.. not so much now
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#25]
The .277 Fury is an interesting cartridge.  I've been a 6.8 fan since about 2008.
Anyway, with the right powder and bullet, 6.8 SPC can get darn close to .277 Fury velocity without a longer magwell, longer mags and very high chamber pressure.  

I don't hate Sig, but they sure seem to be getting more than their share of mil contracts.  Also, service part support for non-current models is apparently iffy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey, maybe they're developing it to use on American citizens. Then it won't be a waste!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif
View Quote

The Army also makes dudes mop parking lots in the rain and issued Serpas.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Weird, my youngest son just asked me about this. I just can't see the military getting completely rid of the M4, it’s just really, really good at what it does and its already out there. Build more subs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

- Never shot it

View Quote

You don’t have to shoot it to understand math.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Rent free.

God forbid someone with first hand experience post, it would take away from all the baseless speculation.

Not going to like a YouTube video? Nah, mostly indifferent. People are allowed their opinions.

Most of the hate on the Spear is cope. The rest is people trying to place the blame anywhere other than where it belongs, on the initial requirements. It’s not Sigs fault the army set forth stupid requirements, nor is it their fault they had the best submission.
View Quote

The phrase good enough for Government work comes to mind. If anything this biindoggle reinforces my suspicion that Sig pays Anthony Marfione as a marketing consultant :lol:

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The .277 Fury is an interesting cartridge.  I've been a 6.8 fan since about 2008.
Anyway, with the right powder and bullet, 6.8 SPC can get darn close to .277 Fury velocity without a longer magwell, longer mags and very high chamber pressure.  

I don't hate Sig, but they sure seem to be getting more than their share of mil contracts.  Also, service part support for non-current models is apparently iffy.
View Quote

@jough43

Which powder and bullet, exactly?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Weird, my youngest son just asked me about this. I just can't see the military getting completely rid of the M4, it’s just really, really good at what it does and its already out there. Build more subs.
View Quote

Won’t be Army service wide, vast majority of the Army won’t be receiving them and post Afghanistan since GWOT dropped from top of priority list Navy is getting the lion’s share but still having problems with acquiring and maintaining submarines  https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/11/18/navy-hopes-new-funding-model-can-cut-sub-maintenance-delays-by-2026/                                                                                   Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#33]
This is a fucking money grab plain and simple.

To outfit every combat soldier with this system is fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can't wait for the .45-70 crowd to show up. The derp just keeps getting worse and worse.
View Quote

Leave me out of this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#35]
They should have just went with a 6.8 SPC II M4A1
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They should have just went with a 6.8 SPC II M4A1
View Quote

Why would you want something with a worse BC than Mk262?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I really feel like a white knight for saying this and I’m ashamed for doing so, but he’s a career SF guy and a member here.

His opinion may be wrong, but it’s not necessarily accurate to say he’s some doofus who has no idea what he’s talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminds me of the ex-Navy food blister at the VA who asked me why I had a walking stick.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#38]
When Jeff says something, it is best to listen.

I don't see any real flaws in his analysis.  One thing Jeff doesn't mention is that 5.56mm is a NATO standard and you would need to add 6.8 to not just US armed forces but also NATO... which is a major task.

Honestly I like the idea of more powerful MGs and ditching 7.62 NATO for something better.  

I thought this process had already begun? U.S. Special Operators Will Soon Be Using This 6.5mm “Assault” Machine Gun
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Rent free.

https://i.imgur.com/nyMQTyl.jpg
View Quote

Nor is it their fault a general magically got a job there after the selection?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Once you understand the mission of the US military this program, and every program, and every bizarre campaign decision make perfect sense.

The primary mission of the US military is to produce the largest possible number of general officers. The secondary mission is to transition those generals to lucrative defense jobs after they retire.

If you understand these facts, every single thing makes sense.
View Quote

But maybe I should cry with what they are doing with our money:

Pentagon Fails Fifth Consecutive Audit Amid Ukraine Oversight Concerns
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I can understand the hate for the XM5 because battle rifle but the hate for the XM250 is a pure gnashing of teeth cope. The thing weighs less than a 249 and wayyyyyy less than a 240

I still think "big and heavy" is way overblown though. It's all of an inch longer than an M4 and I don't think 13lbs is super heavy considering that's with the optic, can, and loaded. From what I can find that's pretty much on par with a full GWOT M16
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Given that the Russian Army has turned out to be a giant shit show I don't think it makes sense to buy a new rifle to punch through the armor that they don't have.

Better idea, PIP the M4 with a better barrel and float rail, create an actual training plan, and shoot 1,000 more rounds a year.

Even better idea, spend the money on artillery shells.
View Quote
Preach!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@jough43

Which powder and bullet, exactly?
View Quote

If I remember correctly, 28-29 grains of AA2200 and Barnes 95 gr TTSX gives around 2,900 fps MV and about 60K psi chamber pressure.  68forums has lots of info.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, 28-29 grains of AA2200 and Barnes 95 gr TTSX gives around 2,900 fps MV and about 60K psi chamber pressure.  68forums has lots of info.
View Quote

Oh. So you can manage to get a slug that’s 42% lighter and has crap-tastic BC somewhat close to the velocity and that’s relevant?

You could get a 110gr V-Max over 3,000fps in a .308, too. Why would you want to?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Given that the Russian Army has turned out to be a giant shit show I don't think it makes sense to buy a new rifle to punch through the armor that they don't have.
View Quote

Kind of irrelevant, as the pacing threat has always been China.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#47]
That load is VERY effective on deer and hogs.  It isn't a 600 yard target load.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
These discussions are inevitable when big Army tries to make a single rifle do everything from clearing rooms to long range precision. It ends up being a clunky shitshow at both. It won’t be the first time they’ve done this, nor will it be the last.
View Quote

The Army has "tried this" exactly one time before - and the M14 successfully did exactly what it was designed to do. If it had been introduced 10 years earlier, it would have been hailed as a wonder weapon with the firepower of a BAR in something lighter than an M1. Even in its time, it was as good as the FAL or G3, which are both still in active service around the world. However, the "big Army" was also smart enough to recognize the revolutionary potential of the AR15 (something no other military in the world did, I might add) and ditched the M14 for something even better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That load is VERY effective on deer and hogs.  It isn't a 600 yard target load.
View Quote

Let’s look at the ballistics of that load compared to my 77gr match load. This is with a mild, 7.5mph, full value crosswind.

77gr match.
Attachment Attached File

95gr. 6.8SPC load:
Attachment Attached File

It’s pretty evident that it bleeds energy prodigiously, but you do you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry, I don't hunt with .223.  BTW, it isn't legal for deer in some states.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top