View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
What theater is it playing in?

@Boomer
Galaxy Theatre in Monroe.  Two showings this Sunday

Unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
They did a great job of setting up a sequel but never followed through.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

The sequel (prequel) was forgettable, but not really awful.
I saw it, and remember very little of it.  Might watch it again some day...
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Big Trouble In Little China disagrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Carpenters best

I did see that on the big screen three or four years ago.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The sequel was a video game.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
John Carpenters best
View All Quotes
Quoted:
John Carpenters best
One of, at least.

Quoted:
The 1982 Thing was a remake itself.
Kind of, but not really. Didn't really reuse much.

Quoted:
According to the commentary by Carpenter and Russell they worked for two weeks on how to film that last scene so that there would be debate about who, if anyone, was still human.
Honestly, "Was one or both of them infected?" is a question I never cared much about. The ambiguity is what makes the ending so good.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was Childs a Thing? What say the hive…
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL I saw it at the base theater at Camp Lejeune.  When the head turned into a spider and started skittering away, we all went "You gotta be fucking kidding me!" just as the character said it.  Man, we laughed our asses off!  It was a tight, barebones, flawless movie.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]
A must-watch during the winter.  Some really intense scenes and Carpenter created such a stark setting with the smaller group.  As usual, he has an ambiguous ending making the watcher think and his music is excellent.  

The 1950’s original is also fantastic in its own creepy way and with its music.  Love watching it.

The prequel was better than I thought it would be but really didn’t add anything.

With the exception of Escape from LA, everything Carpenter and Russell did together are must-owns for me.  Have only seen that once and it was such a letdown.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#10]
"Hey Sweden"
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Hey Sweden"
View Quote
I still use that line pretty often. Usually in situations where it isn't in the least appropriate. Will definitely use it if I ever meet anyone from Norway.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#12]
So many great lines, great filmography and the special effects hold up very well. My kids love it and it is a once a year family favorite.

Kurt and Keith are still alive, someone with some good creativity could do a Thing 2 justice....maybe.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#13]
"The generator's gone."

"Maybe we can fix it."

"It's GONE, MacReady!"
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The original version is my favorite “monster movie”
The 1982 version is the only “horror” movie that I’ll watch. What I always liked was it wasn’t so far out there and far fetched that it could almost be real.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Carpenters best

Tough call, both are excellent films. I could probably watch BTILC more often though...

ETA- this is a good read. First heard about it on arfcom a few years back...
https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
That movie is the epitome of old school practical special effects
View Quote

'Nightmare On Elm Street' (1984) is right up there in that category.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm jealous
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my favorite movies. John Carpenter movies are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote

No, neither of them were. In the video game sequel Childs was found frozen to death where he was at the end of the movie, and McReady was still alive  and helps the player at one point.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The sequel (prequel) was forgettable, but not really awful.
I saw it, and remember very little of it.  Might watch it again some day...
View Quote

The thing that turned me off was the CG looked bad in the trailer and marketing.

I never went to see it because of that. Later on I learned that they originally planned to do practical effects, and actually got pretty far into it, but it got axed due to cost/time. You can find videos on youtube of the animatronics in action. They looked incredible.

Unfortunate because the visceral practical effects is what made the original so memorable.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#21]
They also did nice job with the prequel released in 2011. If you watch The Thing (2011), then The Thing (1982) immediately after, it feels like one movie. The end of the prequel is the beginning of the original movie.

Watch the after credits scene in the prequel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#22]
It's The PERFECT movie
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#23]
A little Colt Trooper Mk III action.
Man, I love that movie.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#25]
One of my favorite movies ever. Watched it with my 13 yr old son last weekend for his first time. He loved it!!

ETA: Would love to see it on the big screen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Mongo wore it better.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

'Nightmare On Elm Street' (1984) is right up there in that category.
View Quote

Yeah I could agree with that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Awesome movie! My E&I team watched this in the day room of Cape Lisburne, Alaska during a bad snow blizzard in 1983 - 84 time frame. Cape Lisburne is 200 miles above the Artic circle (Yes, I know the movie takes place at McMurdo Bay in Antartica), but same conditions. The camp had a total of maybe 12 people in it at the time. When the camp was manned by the USAF, it housed between 200 - 300 people.
View Quote

Yeah, that would've been the perfect environment for viewing. I used to live in Barrow, Dead Horse, Kotz, and Nome. Flew over you guys and Tin City all the time. Always wondered what life was like for you guys down there. Always wondered if you were allowed any scotch for dumping in your computer when it beat you at chess.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No, neither of them were. In the video game sequel Childs was found frozen to death where he was at the end of the movie, and McReady was still alive  and helps the player at one point.

View Quote

It's all right there in the video clip.

Watch MacReady's breath and then Childs (he has none).  Then MacReady hand Childs a bottle, which is the same bottles they had filled with gasoline to use the Molotov cocktails.  Childs drinks gas with no effect.  Now you'll tell me that the fire was warm enough so Childs breath doesn't fog, but MacReady is the same distance.  Close enough to hand him the bottle.  I guess MacReady could have been caring another bottle of booze with the same labels around.  You know like you do when you're going to kill an alien in the Arctic and then settle down to have a drink as you die.  Then there is the music which amps up right after Childs takes a drink and MacReady looks at him and smirks because he knows.

Or, the video game.

The Thing (10/10) Movie CLIP - Why Don't We Wait Here, See What Happens (1982) HD
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The thing that turned me off was the CG looked bad in the trailer and marketing.

I never went to see it because of that. Later on I learned that they originally planned to do practical effects, and actually got pretty far into it, but it got axed due to cost/time. You can find videos on youtube of the animatronics in action. They looked incredible.

Unfortunate because the visceral practical effects is what made the original so memorable.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/the_thing_3_PNG-2552497.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/the_thing_2_PNG-2552498.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/the_thing_1_PNG-2552499.JPG

View Quote

I liked the 2011 prequel, it had some good moments and if they had gone with practical effects then that would've made the movie much better. The CGI was really sub-par for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Watch MacReady's breath and then Childs (he has none).  Then MacReady hand Childs a bottle, which is the same bottles they had filled with gasoline to use the Molotov cocktails.  Childs drinks gas with no effect.  Now you'll tell me that the fire was warm enough so Childs breath doesn't fog, but MacReady is the same distance.  Close enough to hand him the bottle.  I guess MacReady could have been caring another bottle of booze with the same labels around.  You know like you do when you're going to kill an alien in the Arctic and then settle down to have a drink as you die.  Then there is the music which amps up right after Childs takes a drink and MacReady looks at him and smirks because he knows.

Or, the video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338
View Quote

The game is canon as far as I know, bro. Carpenter endorsed it and did cameo voice acting in it as I recall. I am familiar with all the arguments. I am just telling you straight up, the game is as close to a sequel as the movie has, and it seems to have Carpenter's blessing. Will he change his mind later? Who knows. But he pretty much signed on the the video game as 'correct', and neither one of those guys were a thing.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LOL I saw it at the base theater at Camp LejeuneWhen the head turned into a spider and started skittering away, we all went "You gotta be fucking kidding me!" just as the character said it.  Man, we laughed our asses off!  It was a tight, barebones, flawless movie.
View Quote

Did you drink the water?!?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The game is canon as far as I know, bro. Carpenter endorsed it and did cameo voice acting in it as I recall. I am familiar with all the arguments. I am just telling you straight up, the game is as close to a sequel as the movie has, and it seems to have Carpenter's blessing. Will he change his mind later? Who knows. But he pretty much signed on the the video game as 'correct', and neither one of those guys were a thing.

View Quote

Bro, the video doesn't lie.  1982, no plans for a video game.  2002, hey why don't we make a video game.  VIDEO GAME TEAM:  John, do you want to make more $ selling the rights to your characters for a video game.  JOHN:  Sure I do.  VIDEO GAME TEAM:  Ok, but we need a plot and it's going to deviate from your ending slightly.  JOHN:  No problem, I'll tell the fans what they want to hear and some will believe and some won't.  My mailing address is, when you're ready to send the check.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:'Nightmare On Elm Street' (1984) is right up there in that category.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And the cast of The Thing is 100% male. And not gay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be pretty funny if a 40 year old re-run grosses more than Bros.

And the cast of The Thing is 100% male. And not gay.

Pretty sure 'The Thing' was as the LBGTQ-LMNOP folks would say is "Species Fluid" ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha!  I used to have it.  LOL
I tried to like it, but it really wasn't all that great.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bro, the video doesn't lie.  1982, no plans for a video game.  2002, hey why don't we make a video game.  VIDEO GAME TEAM:  John, do you want to make more $ selling the rights to your characters for a video game.  JOHN:  Sure I do.  VIDEO GAME TEAM:  Ok, but we need a plot and it's going to deviate from your ending slightly.  JOHN:  No problem, I'll tell the fans what they want to hear and some will believe and some won't.  My mailing address is, when you're ready to send the check.
View Quote

Ok, *plonk*.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Or, the video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338
View Quote

Childs does have breath. Look at 1:28 in the video you included. It's there. You're reading as deep into nothing as Kubrick nuts do with The Shining.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Childs does have breath. Look at 1:28 in the video you included. It's there. You're reading as deep into nothing as Kubrick nuts do with The Shining.
View Quote

Why does anyone think that a person that is a Thing wouldn't have breath that you could see in the cold in the first place?
Are you suggesting that you could just point a thermometer at people two tell who is a Thing and who is not?

You can clearly see Bennings breath before they light him up, but he was not 100% copied.
Pretty sure you can see the dogs breath in the beginning, but I need to double check.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why does anyone think that a person that is a Thing wouldn't have breath that you could see in the cold in the first place?
Are you suggesting that you could just point a thermometer at people two tell who is a Thing and who is not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This too is a good point. And likewise, if you were to hand a Thing a bottle of gasoline, why would you think it wouldn't recognize what it is?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This too is a good point. And likewise, if you were to hand a Thing a bottle of gasoline, why would you think it wouldn't recognize what it is?
View Quote

I agree.  The Thing seems to be able to copy your memories and such.  (they cab speak english, know everyone's names, know to destroy radios and equipment.  They should know the difference between liquor and gasoline as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

And a pretty damn good one if I recall.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#44]
My favorite sci-fi horror movie
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Benning's Thing Simu-Breath:  Activated!

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Saw it in the theater back when.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My favorite horror movie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Definitely in my top 3.
Would really like to see it on a big screen!
View Quote

I did.  

I took two girls with me, we were all in high school together...As popular as this movie is now, we were the only ones in the theatre.

...and honestly, it made it that much freakier.

It was a fairly quiet ride back home in the mountains that night.  None of us would have admitted it, but we were all creeped out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I haven't seen it since I was a kid, it grossed me out
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I haven't seen it since I was a kid, it grossed me out
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top