[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Now I want to go to Ireland.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cool story, thanks.

You might be interested in the war time Perth to Sri Lanka/Karachi flights in Qantas operated Catalinas.  Flew a 4,000 mile, 33 hour long leg at a blistering 120 mph that crossed Japanese held territory, so radio navigation would have been suicide.  Planes were so overloaded with fuel that all they could carry each trip was a mail bag and 3 passengers.  They flew it weekly or better for a couple years.
View Quote
Take a look at Return of the Catalina on Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That would make an awesome movie. Why can't Hollywood do that one instead of fucking around with classics like Ghostbusters?
View Quote
The Hollywood liberals would first create roles for gay, minority, and handicapped characters.  Next, they would blame the entire war on the USA.  
After that, there wouldn't be much time left for the airplane stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The Harrowing Journey of a Pacific Clipper
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure what model but there is still a couple of the flying boats of this era doing forest fire fighting work out on the west coast .
View Quote
Sounds like you're thinking of the 'Super Scooper'...   those are current production amphibs designed to skim over water in flight to refill the water tanks.

Super Scooper
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Great story.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#10]
It’s really impossible to understate the impact of Pan Am and TWA on making modern travel and modern all weather long range air operations possible.

The military and federal government had far less to do with it than a bunch of guys wondering if it was possible and trying it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]
That's a great story and a heck of an accomplishment. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I had my wife read this before breakfast and now she's super pissed off that nobody has made a movie about this.

What an amazing story that nobody has ever heard of.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like you're thinking of the 'Super Scooper'...   those are current production amphibs designed to skim over water in flight to refill the water tanks.

Super Scooper
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what model but there is still a couple of the flying boats of this era doing forest fire fighting work out on the west coast .

Super Scooper
There are still WW2 PBY Catalina planes used for firefighting all over the US

ETA: Ever since discovering them in the "Black Cats" mission of CoD:WaW the PBY has been one of my favorite planes. One of these days I'll get a chance to see one up close. I'd love to get inside one (or any WW2 original-configuration bomber, for that matter) but that seems unlikely. I saw a (pretty torn up) PBY in person years ago, but only from a distance at NAS Whidbey Island while visiting a friend who wrenched on Prowlers up there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I never heard that one. Thanks OP
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ETA: Ever since discovering them in the "Black Cats" mission of CoD:WaW the PBY has been one of my favorite planes. One of these days I'll get a chance to see one up close. I'd love to get inside one (or any WW2 original-configuration bomber, for that matter) but that seems unlikely. I saw a (pretty torn up) PBY in person years ago, but only from a distance at NAS Whidbey Island while visiting a friend who wrenched on Prowlers up there.
View Quote
there are few in civilian collectors hands that fly around still. I think one or two of them still do rides just like the bombers do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you are ever in SE VA the Military Aviaton Museum in Va Beach has an operational PBY in its collection.

http://militaryaviationmuseum.org/aircraft/wwii-aircraft/

@CFletch
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you are ever in SE VA the Military Aviaton Museum in Va Beach has an operational PBY in its collection.

@CFletch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@CFletch
I do need to visit VA again one of these days, I'll have to add this to the list along with the Udvar-Hazy Center
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Great story....thanks for posting it....
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Best link of the year so far.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
That was a great read and should definitely made into a movie!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That was great.

A plane so overloaded with fuel that the fucking wings bent enough to jam the mechanisms controlling the flaps, and then subsequently having to surf the damn plane through a canyon with rapids below, all in an effort to finally take off.

Jesus.

I’d be interested to read about what these planes did during WW2.

So many stories are just lost, forgotten, or hidden from our own histories.
View Quote
That was like reading the plot line of an Indiana Jones movie!  Except they did it for real!!!  LOL
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
there are few in civilian collectors hands that fly around still. I think one or two of them still do rides just like the bombers do.  
View Quote
Meh.  PBYs are small stuff.  Go big with a Martin MARS or go home.  Or go with a Shorts Sunderland.

eta:  Does anyone know of the Philippine MARS ever got to Pensacola or is its move still being held up by Canada?

Martin Mars Water Bomber Demo - Richmond, B.C.

Philippine Mars US Navy Museum Restoration

Martin Mars Time Lapse Video Launching July 11,2016

Martin (Philippine) Mars bomber back on water 8/31 2015

The Philippine Mars All Four Engines Running From The Cockpit

The Sunderland leaving the UK for its home one Florida.
The Last Sunderland Flying Boat
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Other stuff on the Boeing 314.

Typical cruising speed of 155mph.  Seattle to Honolulu took 19 hours.  Service was beyond what we'd even consider First Class nowadays.

Flying wasn't cheap.  SFO to Hong Kong cost $760 one way in 1940.  That's almost $14k in todays $$.

I think the Pan Am Clippers are the best looking airliners ever.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Thoroughly enjoyed reading that and shared it with my dad.

Thanks for posting it up OP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That would make an awesome movie. Why can't Hollywood do that one instead of fucking around with classics like Ghostbusters?
View Quote
Write it.  Have a black woman play the captain, a spunky gay guy to play the flight engineer and have a white guy co-pilot that has a nervous breakdown and Hollywood might buy it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#27]
That's exactly the map this great story needed. My Geography was/is kinda rusty.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am not home but I told my Dad about this story and he found the book for me.  Very interesting read.
View Quote
What’s the title of the book?

Would like to read more about this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#29]
It’s either the long way home or  a long ride home, Or the long flight home sorry I can’t be more specific.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#30]
New Zealand  to New York? Is this really circumnavigation?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hawaii to New Jersey? Is this really circumnavigation?
View Quote
San Francisco to New York.

I suppose technically it's not but from the sounds of it it would have been extremely unusual for a seaplane to fly across the US. I'd say it's close enough.

Amazing story OP, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I suppose technically it's not but from the sounds of it it would have been extremely unusual for a seaplane to fly across the US. I'd say it's close enough.

View Quote
I can’t prove it but I’d imagine it eventually found its way back to the west coast for Pacific service.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn! That's a great story.  I've been in about half of the places they were, and I've flown around the world going west at least 3 times, so its particularly interesting to me.

Stories about people stranded by big events are always cool (I.E. Casablanca).  You could probably make a good romantic comedy about people stuck during 9/11 in London.

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool story OP, thanks for posting
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks OP

Great read.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#37]
The same story as told by "The History Guy" (an excellent YT channel):

The Harrowing Journey of a Pacific Clipper

ETA: I see that DoubleARon beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
To the gentleman who got me a Platinum membership, you are awesome!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I can't prove it but I'd imagine it eventually found its way back to the west coast for Pacific service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't prove it but I'd imagine it eventually found its way back to the west coast for Pacific service.
It was renamed Pacific Clipper afterwards, so I'd say it's a safe bet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome read OP. Thank you for posting this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for this OP, was a great read
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow what a story! I’m surprised Tripp didn’t make it a major story after the war was over.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Great story
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for this OP, was a great read
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Reading the book now.

The long way home by Ed Dover
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Write it.  Have a black woman play the captain, a spunky gay guy to play the flight engineer and have a white guy co-pilot that has a nervous breakdown and Hollywood might buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nailed it!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#48]
awesome, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Reading the book now.

The long way home by Ed Dover
View Quote
I just bought the book based on the articles. Fantastic story, I want to read the full account now!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Great read
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top