Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What Caesar did by putting his skirmishes by using the polymer as spears in with his cavalry is what won him that battle. That was brilliant.
View Quote
Caesar's flank broke before the reinforcements arrived, but his army didn't panic.  Pompey's cavalry lost to that maneuver and his army fled.  While both had experienced troops, Pompey's men had been disbanded for a long time while Caesar's had just returned from constant warfare in Gaul.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Alexander beat elephants on his first try.  The Romans lost several armies before Scipio figured it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Hydaspes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This X10. Pyrrhus only did well against the legions due to his war elephants. Imo Pyrrhus was a good as of a commander as Alexander imo.
Alexander beat elephants on his first try.  The Romans lost several armies before Scipio figured it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Hydaspes
But they had several armies to lose and they DID figure it out and elephants disappeared from the battlefield.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
English longbowmen attrit the Romans before legionnaires even get close enough to think about fighting.
View Quote
Romans had balistas
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Swiss infantry would smoke the legions.  A combo of units armed with Pikes/ halberds and 2h swords and fight to the death morale-infused with philosophy of initiative-something no army at the time had, esp going back far to the roman times.  Swiss infantry were unmatched in brutality, efficiency, morale and flexibility AND tactics. The Swiss never took prisoners as they did not believe in ransom and usually fought to the death.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Swiss infantry would smoke the legions.  A combo of units armed with Pikes/ halberds and 2h swords and fight to the death morale-infused with philosophy of initiative-something no army at the time had, esp going back far to the roman times.  Swiss infantry were unmatched in brutality, efficiency, morale and flexibility AND tactics. The Swiss never took prisoners as they did not believe in ransom and usually fought to the death.
Keep in mind Switzerland was a province of Rome.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The people voting Rome > Medieval Europe are probably the same ones who think Bruce Lee could beat Mike Tyson.
View Quote
lol, was just about to post the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I asked my medieval history teacher at USNA this same question.  He said that the Europeans would annihilate the Romans (and Greeks).

Who was he?  No one important.
Richard Abels
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I asked my medieval history teacher at USNA this same question.  He said that the Europeans would annihilate the Romans (and Greeks).

Richard Abels
View Quote
OK. Specifically. Which European Army and which year?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is a myth perpetuated by the same people who think medieval swords were essentially 20 pound dull edged sword shaped clubs that caused blunt trauma injuries.

There were plenty of well organized and deadly medieval armies that would trounce Roman legions. Genoese crossbowmen, English longbowmen, Swiss pikemen, some of the crusading armies were absolutely huge and very well equipped, Medieval Europe had siege engines that made Roman technology look like tinker toys, let alone getting into the full steel plate armored cavalry of the 1400s.
View Quote
Medieval armies were certainly better than the myth, but also impossibly small compared to actual Roman 1st Century BC armies (even allowing for exaggeration, a normal early Empire Consular army was 15,000+ and usually much larger).  The Romans raised armies of over 100,000 on several occasions.   Also, the scutum laughs at longbowmen, and crossbowmen past 100 paces or so.  And Roman torsion siege engines were actually more advanced than medieval engines except the trebuchet, with was totally unsuitable for field use.  Now, fully plated gothic knights would be a challenge, but fortunately no medieval power was ever able to effectively coordinate true heavy cavalry with disciplined missile troops before the advent of gunpowder.  By the time of "full steel plate" armor in the 1430s, gunpowder was already not unusual on the battlefield.  The Parthians however had done so as early as the first century BC - and still lost to the Romans as often as not.

In any case
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
A Roman legionary served for decades and as such,  was a battle hardened,  fully  professional soldier led by a  professional officer corps,  whereas many of those serving in medieval armies were part timers who were mustered occasionally according to their obligations and the needs of those to whom, as vassals,  they owed fealty.

Medieval knights were very well armed and schooled in the art of individual combat but IMO, they weren't "soldiers" nor were the leadership of medieval armies professional officers.

The Roman formations would outmaneuver them and grind them down.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Romans would lose.  They were good, but also mostly fought against barbarian tribes.  The tactics of one general were sometimes lucky enough to beat another (as shown in their civil war).

They also got their asses kicked multiple times by the Carthaginians.

Fast forward a thousand years to better materials and equipment, and it'd be like the Persians against the Athenians on Marathon Beach.

But it's difficult to account for the generals.  Especially things like Caesar's engineering feats.

I'm assuming here that the number of troops are about even.
View Quote
I guess the Parthians, Seluecids, Macedonians, Jews etc are all just Barbarians?  Also, as you noted, they got their asses kicked multiple times by the Carthaginians - and still went on to win the war and raze Carthage.  Sheer bloody-mindedness counts for a lot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
swiss foot and norman cavalry straight murder the romans.
View Quote
Can't fault this analysis.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Heavy horse would fuck over the romans.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess the Parthians, Seluecids, Macedonians, Jews etc are all just Barbarians?  Also, as you noted, they got their asses kicked multiple times by the Carthaginians - and still went on to win the war and raze Carthage.  Sheer bloody-mindedness counts for a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Romans would lose.  They were good, but also mostly fought against barbarian tribes.  The tactics of one general were sometimes lucky enough to beat another (as shown in their civil war).

They also got their asses kicked multiple times by the Carthaginians.

Fast forward a thousand years to better materials and equipment, and it'd be like the Persians against the Athenians on Marathon Beach.

But it's difficult to account for the generals.  Especially things like Caesar's engineering feats.

I'm assuming here that the number of troops are about even.
Not won the war won all three wars against Carthage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Caesar's flank broke before the reinforcements arrived, but his army didn't panic.  Pompey's cavalry lost to that maneuver and his army fled.  While both had experienced troops, Pompey's men had been disbanded for a long time while Caesar's had just returned from constant warfare in Gaul.
View Quote
Caesar's cavalry was up against Pompey's cavalry led by Titus Labienus which was one of Caesar most brilliant commander in Gaul. He had a year plus the battle of dricheium to get them in shape. No excuses. Caesar outmaneuvered Pompey. Though to be honest I don't think Pompey wanted to bring his army out in the field.

Also damn auto correct on my cellphone is atrocious.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Roman horsemen didn't even have stirrups and only had limited use of more primitive steel.  European heavy cavalry would slaughter them.

Romans were the bomb in their day, but they were 1000 years behind 13th/14th century Europe in technology.
View Quote
This is my answer if it's a neutral field and a 1:1 ratio.

If it's in Europe over a long period of time with both sides' peak numbers, I'd say the medieval Europeans win because Roman supply lines would be even more vulnerable to medieval Europeans than they were in Roman times.

If it's in the Roman peninsula with both sides' peak numbers, I might give the edge to Rome given the numbers they could muster and their being closer to their support base.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Romans didn't take over most of Europe, Asia, Africa, etc for no reason. After Theodosius, or better yet, the battle of Adrianople started the downfall of the Roman empire. There were a multitude of issues that brought down the Romans. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Roman Space marines circa 200-300 AD
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Romans didn't take over most of Europe, Asia, Africa, etc for no reason. After Theodosius, or better yet, the battle of Adrianople started the downfall of the Roman empire. There were a multitude of issues that brought down the Romans. It is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the similarities with our society are to many to ignore. Much much to learn there. Watching their social struggle mid/late republic tells you exactly how ours is going to end.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#20]

16th century militaries would crush roman legions.
They're behind by one and a half millennia of tech and metallurgy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Uh that's well into the GP era so outside of our comparison. Romans could defeat that though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And the similarities with our society are to many to ignore. Much much to learn there. Watching their social struggle mid/late republic tells you exactly how ours is going to end.
View Quote
I wouldn't argue with that. Shit will go down. I just don't know how.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_32.69.jpg
16th century militaries would crush roman legions.
They're behind by one and a half millennia of tech and metallurgy.
View Quote
Mostly the nobility wore that. the commoners were out there with no shoes and a pitchforks for most battles in medieval times.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
English longbowmen attrit the Romans before legionnaires even get close enough to think about fighting.
View Quote
This.  Longbow changes the game completely.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pre gunpowder
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize the "Middle Ages" covers 1000 years right?
Pre gunpowder
So, the 1300's. 1400's really though. While it saw some use, armies were still wooden missile based.

Im still trying to figure out what you point is though.

I'm not saying the Romans are shit. I just dont fetishize them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This
Also I don't think you barbarians comprehend the maneuverability of small units of Roman infantry during the heat of battle. You don't see it again until the German storm troops of 1917. Absolute control of their units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those who enjoy reading of the Roman civil wars of Marius and Sulla and Caesar's Gaul campaign, the scale of violence the Roman's were willing to inflict and receive is mind boggling. Armies of this size were not seen again until Napoleon and then only briefly. World War I type logistics and planning and relentlessness.

Quantity has a quality all its own. It would not have even been close.
This
Also I don't think you barbarians comprehend the maneuverability of small units of Roman infantry during the heat of battle. You don't see it again until the German storm troops of 1917. Absolute control of their units.
Lol. The Swiss and the Germand we doing that in 1600's
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well nobody ever said the Swiss were stupid.

Except for obtaining better quality steel the Romans would be a very quick study and catch-up quickly. Things had not advanced really all that much as far as weaponry went between the two eras. I suspect the Romans would fight at a disadvantage till winter and when the next fighting season started they would quickly gain the upper hand with improved weapons and tactics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pikes, Halberds, and crossbows would be fine till the Romans looked them over, viewed the tactics of their deployment, and figured out how to defeat them. I don't suspect it would take them long, even in the field.

Till then they would counter maneuver those pointy stick cumbersome formations into wooded or hilly areas where they would have more of a advantage instead of fighting on more level ground that would favor medieval weapons.

I figure once they saw a halberd they would figure out in a hurry that it's main advantage was hooking and unhorsing cavalrymen. Long pointy poles cut from the countryside with a simple iron hook attached would accomplish the same thing in the short term. Hell a hook of fire hardened wood fitted to a pointy pole would suffice.

As someone else mentioned.....The Romans killing everyone would be a huge confidence shaker for the knight/king class. "Enlightenment" comes with a price when your opponent just wants you and everyone you brought with you dead.
You literally just described what the Swiss did. Lol
Well nobody ever said the Swiss were stupid.

Except for obtaining better quality steel the Romans would be a very quick study and catch-up quickly. Things had not advanced really all that much as far as weaponry went between the two eras. I suspect the Romans would fight at a disadvantage till winter and when the next fighting season started they would quickly gain the upper hand with improved weapons and tactics.
Since you dont jack it to statues of Caesar. Ill be nice.

Go read about the Swiss pick formation. It wasn't just pikes. Standing in a line.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pikes, Halberds, and crossbows would be fine till the Romans looked them over, viewed the tactics of their deployment, and figured out how to defeat them. I don't suspect it would take them long, even in the field.

Till then they would counter maneuver those pointy stick cumbersome formations into wooded or hilly areas where they would have more of a advantage instead of fighting on more level ground that would favor medieval weapons.

I figure once they saw a halberd they would figure out in a hurry that it's main advantage was hooking and unhorsing cavalrymen. Long pointy poles cut from the countryside with a simple iron hook attached would accomplish the same thing in the short term. Hell a hook of fire hardened wood fitted to a pointy pole would suffice.

As someone else mentioned.....The Romans killing everyone would be a huge confidence shaker for the knight/king class. "Enlightenment" comes with a price when your opponent just wants you and everyone you brought with you dead.
View Quote
Hmm. So the Medieval Europeans couldn't look over Roman tactics and figure out how to defeat them?  Only the Romans get to counter-maneuver?

Well, it's guess it's easy to envision a Roman victory when you only permit the Romans the luxury of learning from their encounters with their enemies and counter-maneuvering.

Adapt to tactics, assimilate new technology and always choose a field of battle that's advantageous to you. Obviously uniquely Roman.  Neva ben dun befo or since by anyone other than Romans.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
swiss foot and norman cavalry straight murder the romans.
This.
That.

Just the improvements in armor and steel doom the Romans. The Swiss murder them
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#30]
an army of heavy cav/heavy infantry templars/hospitaller? I'd have to go medieval...
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The people voting Rome > Medieval Europe are probably the same ones who think Bruce Lee could beat Mike Tyson.
View Quote
And katanas would cut an British longsword.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Richard Abels
Fuck if I remember. That would have been 13 years ago. It was probably "in general."
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#33]
The problem with comparing armies from different time periods is technology as far as weapons and tactics had evolved so much. A lot of which can undoubtedly be attributed to the Romans. I think a more modern force would win.

With that said the Roman's likely had one of the largest impacts when it came to shaping the known world and driving technological advancement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This X10. Pyrrhus only did well against the legions due to his war elephants. Imo Pyrrhus was a good as of a commander as Alexander imo.
View Quote
Do you not see that you guys are simply allowing the Romans an adaptability that you are implicitly denying the opponent?

That's crazy. You act almost as if there was a genetic component to it.

Someone points out a weakness in the Romans and you throw down your "Romans learn and adapt" trump card as if the other side never learns or adapts. It's like you're playing some made up game with arbitrary rules and limitations where playing the Roman side grants you a extra special move or some special superhero ability card that your opponent lacks.

The history of warfare is that if you survive the first encounter, especially if you lose, you take your ass kickin' to heart and try to counter your opponent's strengths. That is not uniquely Roman. It's pretty damn universal. Size helps, because it leaves you resources in reserve with which to rebuild and adapt. But that simply underlines the value in survival versus annihilation.

So here's the thing, a Roman legion that learned to fight like Medieval Europeans with M.E. weapons and tactics wouldn't make it a Roman Legion versus a Medieval European army anymore, now would it? In fact, it would then be one M.E. army versus another M.E. army.

Technological superiority is pretty much universally going to be a major difference maker in a first/single encounter scenario, assuming most other things are roughly equal. Similarly with tactics, more recent in time is usually built on the lessons learned from the past. Hence, the advantage to the more modern and technologically advanced side of the struggle. When the obsolete side survives and adapts, they cease to be what they previously were (obsolete) and are now something new (modern).
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’m no expert in Medievel strategy but I do know that the Romans conquered a lot of territory.   I’m voting Romans out of ignorance.
View Quote
14th century English long bow and heavy horse. Romans wouldn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#36]
The pre-gunpowder medieval armies would beat any ancient army, because their tactics were more sophisticated, and they had much, much better cavalry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
To a Romaphile, everyone not Roman Legion must be an ignorant Barbarian. Given 5 minutes and some trash, a Roman Legion could construct automatic weapons, modern mortars, and fighter jets. Every legionnaire had a 200 IQ, didn’t feel pain or fear, and ran sub 2h marathons. They ate bronze caltrops and crapped C4.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#38]
European armies.

More advanced tactics. Better armor. Better weapons.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The longbowmen have been mentioned aplenty. If they don't prevent the lines from clashing then they aren't a game changer. I say again. The bayonet charge didn't become obsolete until mid 19th century. Are you suggesting a unit of longbowman is more lethal than a battalion of Musket armed professional infantry? Because musket armed battalions cannot stop melee from occurring when faced with an oncoming unit determined to engage.
View Quote
But that's still a function of numbers.

Sure, if enough bowman take out enough of the opponents, then the lines won't clash. It could be because they eliminate enough opposition with enough surprise so as to cause confusion and panic. It could be that they simply drop enough of the opposition that the charge falters. Or maybe they so deplete it that even when the lines do clash, the outcome of that micro-conflict is already decided.

To make such a generalized implication that lines clashing means the bowmen failed is patently absurd on it's face when it's made in the absence of any qualifying details.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#40]
There are a whole lot of people talking about individual infantry weapons when CAVALRY was the most importing part of medieval armies...

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If they stood still in a muddy field without their shields all day perhaps. They wouldn't. They would either withdraw or (much more likely) advance quickly across the mud, pass through the anti cavalry stakes and crush the English army in close combat.
View Quote
Because the Romans get to maneuver however they want to and the English don't, right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Musketry during the Napoleonic wars shows weapons much more powerful incapable of doing this. Agincourt was unique.
View Quote
The English long bow was in most respects superior to the musket.  Three times the range, higher rate of fire, more deadly except maybe against the plate armor owned only by a select few wealthy nobles (although some contemporary reports state the long bow could penetrate plate).  The reason the long bow fell out of use is that the only way to develop the skills and muscle necessary to use it was to start in childhood.  IIRC, the draw strength on a real English long bow is something like 100 lbs or more.  On the other hand, you could teach any idiot to use a musket in the space of a few days.  Leading up to the Hundred Years' War, archery was the national past time of England.  As the popularity of archery faded, there were less and less men who had trained at the long bow from youth, and the crown could no longer field sufficient bowmen.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
lol, was just about to post the exact same thing.
View Quote
Worse, they're like kids standing around between class playing that Ninja game.

"No wait, English, you aren't allowed to move. It's my turn to move now. You have to stand still until it's your turn again after I move."
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For those who enjoy reading of the Roman civil wars of Marius and Sulla and Caesar's Gaul campaign, the scale of violence the Roman's were willing to inflict and receive is mind boggling. Armies of this size were not seen again until Napoleon and then only briefly. World War I type logistics and planning and relentlessness.

Quantity has a quality all its own. It would not have even been close.
View Quote
The Arab armies from roughly 650 to 800 AD were absolutely massive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Because the Romans get to maneuver however they want to and the English don't, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they stood still in a muddy field without their shields all day perhaps. They wouldn't. They would either withdraw or (much more likely) advance quickly across the mud, pass through the anti cavalry stakes and crush the English army in close combat.
Not to mention the thousands of men-at-arms protecting the bowman, with superior armor and weapons.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Someone points out a weakness in the Romans and you throw down your "Romans learn and adapt" trump card as if the other side never learns or adapts. It's like you're playing some made up game with arbitrary rules and limitations where playing the Roman side grants you a extra special move or some special superhero ability card that your opponent lacks.
View Quote
It's like arguing with a Batman fanboi in a "who would win" thread. No matter what, Batman would have a plan and win. Always.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Medieval armies were certainly better than the myth, but also impossibly small compared to actual Roman 1st Century BC armies (even allowing for exaggeration, a normal early Empire Consular army was 15,000+ and usually much larger).  The Romans raised armies of over 100,000 on several occasions.   Also, the scutum laughs at longbowmen, and crossbowmen past 100 paces or so.  And Roman torsion siege engines were actually more advanced than medieval engines except the trebuchet, with was totally unsuitable for field use.  Now, fully plated gothic knights would be a challenge, but fortunately no medieval power was ever able to effectively coordinate true heavy cavalry with disciplined missile troops before the advent of gunpowder.  By the time of "full steel plate" armor in the 1430s, gunpowder was already not unusual on the battlefield.  The Parthians however had done so as early as the first century BC - and still lost to the Romans as often as not.

In any case
View Quote
No, wait, you see, in our fantasy matchup, you're side gets to learn new tactics it wouldn't know were needed until after it faces the opponent BEFORE it faces the opponent. So the M.E. army gets to figure out that whole coordination of heavy armor and missiles because that's what's needed to be victorious over the Romans.

No, wait, I was wrong. In this thread we only allow the Romans to supernaturally adapt tactics beforehand as may be necessary to defeat previously unknown enemies...'cause reasons.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not to mention the thousands of men-at-arms protecting the bowman, with superior armor and weapons.
View Quote
I was reading a book from Douche Nozzle Dan Jones on the Plantagenets the other day. Their battle tactics were just retarded. Richard the Lionheart died seiging a castle held by two soldiers. Two. Soldiers. Don't get me started on King Edward III getting the 100 year war started because he said "Fuck it, Let's go start us a war with France! Yee haw!"

Crazy mother fuckers back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, wait, you see, in our fantasy matchup, you're side gets to learn new tactics it wouldn't know were needed until after it faces the opponent BEFORE it faces the opponent. So the M.E. army gets to figure out that whole coordination of heavy armor and missiles because that's what's needed to be victorious over the Romans.

No, wait, I was wrong. In this thread we only allow the Romans to supernaturally adapt tactics beforehand as may be necessary to defeat previously unknown enemies...'cause reasons.
View Quote
Dude chill. I've read Medieval battle tactics, and Ancient Rome battle tactics. Maybe it's because most of the medieval battles I've read were based on dumb luck with none to little battle tactical skill. There were a few exceptions, but the majority of medieval battles was just let's trade punches and see who wins. Not saying there weren't great generals and soldiers i.e William Marshall, Charlemagne, Edward III, and the first, Henry II blah blah blah blah blah, but to match their battles against the greats like Alexander, Caesar, Hannibal, etc, etc. I mean really?

Caesar had a month named after him. Charlemagne banged his sister and dead people. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was reading a book from Douche Nozzle Dan Jones on the Plantagenets the other day. Their battle tactics were just retarded. Richard the Lionheart died seiging a castle held by two soldiers. Two. Soldiers. Don't get me started on King Edward III getting the 100 year war started because he said "Fuck it, Let's go start us a war with France! Yee haw!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, they were French after all, can you really blame him?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top