Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'll take the SFX from Jurassic Park over modern CGI fests any day
View Quote

99% of modern CGI effects bore the shit out me. Superhero movies are unwatchable because of it. The movie producers are trying to impress the audience with the latest effects when a well written script or compelling story is what makes a movie good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The kids were the worst part of the book.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

She was only 25 when she made that; I always figured she was well into her 30s.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus it has Laura Dern when she was young and vaguely hot and not some desiccated purple-haired Karen.

Damn, I also figured she was about 33-35.  She was also hot in Wild at Heart, in a kinda trashy way.  But that fit the movie.  And yes, I would with 90s Laura Dern.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Was expecting the Laura Dean Jeep gif where she sees Mandingo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This short scene encapsulates the entire philosophy of the novel, and is the high water mark of one of the best movies ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nz8YrCC9X8
View Quote

Jurassic Park, irrespective of the novel or Crichton's quality as an author (he's wonderful), is one of the best movies of all time. And I would most certainly agree that the scene in question is one of the most pivotal in the entire movie, and as such one of the greatest scenes in cinema history.

The entire ethos of all of the main characters is on display in this scene. It encapsulates everything in an "well, there's this, but also this, and we need to consider this..." and so on with none of them being automatically valid or invalid. Critical thinking and civil discussion about a topic which would require it.

It's up there with Quint's speech about the Indianapolis, the D-Day landing scene in Saving Private Ryan, the ending of Once Upon a Time in the West, the ending of It's a Wonderful Life, the opening sequence from Up, and so on.

OPNI.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worse than they were in the movie?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I never have understood the love for that movie. It's okay, but nothing special (other than the effects).
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s a Unix system.  I know this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good pacing, good acting, well cast, good story telling, good effects for the time, good memorable music, memorable scenes, well executed original idea for the time, etc.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
life, uh, finds a way.
View Quote

Another good line
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked 12 days on Jurassic World starting with the first day of shooting in Louisiana. I got a prep talk by one of the directors about how bad the sequel before this one was and it will
not be repeated . 250 million dollars later , Ha! Ha!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I never have understood the love for that movie. It's okay, but nothing special (other than the effects).
View Quote

Can you give us a clue why you feel this way or have you always been clueless?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Clever girl
Damn it! Now I want a SPAS - 12
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]
WTF - the “See?? Nobody cares!” Scene at least deserves honorable mention.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Always really like Jeff goldblum. But apparently he's a raging a****** and that's why he doesn't get work anymore
View Quote

Word on the street is dude has a huge schlong...like Milton Berle huge.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit. Can the dinosaurs please kill and eat any kids in the first scene from now on? That goes for any new remake of War of the worlds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus it has Laura Dern when she was young and vaguely hot and not some desiccated purple-haired Karen.

She also gave an interview when the latest one came out a year or 2 ago whining that her character's relationship in the original movie with Grant was inappropriate because she (the actress) is something like 20 years younger than Sam Neill....never mind that however old she was at the time her character was a PhD and one of the top experts in her field, clearly supposed to be mid 30s.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Uh, what about the blonde mouthy chick in the shorts? I’m looking for a clip now.

Found it

I can’t embed.

Fack it doesn’t work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember sneaking into Jurassic Park with my dad during the scene where the Explorer goes into the tree, its been my favorite movie since that day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Love that scene.

In the book Ingen were much much more arrogant.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I wanna Jurassic jeep... just because

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Worthy of a re-read. My 11yo recently finished it.  Michael Crichton was a great author.

And re-remember, there were multiple T-Rex’s in the book, who ate Dodgson, not Gennarro (the lawyer) as in the movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuuuuuuuuuck

now i have to reread the book.

Worthy of a re-read. My 11yo recently finished it.  Michael Crichton was a great author.

And re-remember, there were multiple T-Rex’s in the book, who ate Dodgson, not Gennarro (the lawyer) as in the movie.

Didn’t the lawyer blow up a dino with a LAW in the book? I seem to remember he was much more of a badass in the book.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Jeff Goldblum is only able to play Jeff Goldblum. He sucks
I'm sorry, "He, um, uh, sucks. Well, he, um, sucks. There it is."
View Quote

Jeff Goldblum opens a gift from Sylvester Stallone (KDL Clip)
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#32]

I saw Jurassic Park on opening night which happened to be my 14th birthday. I had already read the book twice.

When that scene happened, everyone in the theatre cheered and clapped.

People who don't understand Jurassic Park, have not read the book. It was the introduction to science based fiction for many people and introduced the ideas of chaos theory and genetics, and DNA.

But, my favorite part of the book was at the end, where the raptors appear to have formed a religion that worships the sun, which is a detail that most missed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And an amazing film score also....
View Quote
My son and I climbed Mount St. Helens in 2004, we played the soundtrack to Jurassic Park while driving to the trailhead.  It will forever remind me of that day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Didn't the lawyer blow up a dino with a LAW in the book? I seem to remember he was much more of a badass in the book.
View Quote
Gennaro and Muldoon kill a few raptors with a rocket launcher, because it was the only thing that was instantly effective.  

"Slow to bleed, slow to die" I haven't read the book in 25 years but I remember that line.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#35]
If that was such a good scene, why the the only scene I remember the one where the 2 kids are hiding from the raptor in the laboratory?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I agree.  I've watched this scene several times.  It underscores all of humans worst behaviors: arrogance and ignorance.

Quoted:
If that was such a good scene, why the the only scene I remember the one where the 2 kids are hiding from the raptor in the laboratory?
View Quote

Short attention span?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Boy do I hate being right all the time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:51:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I never liked Malcom's arguments in that scene.

Relied too much on pseuo-scientific magic bullshit that treated nature like some kind of entity.

The paleontologists arguments about "we don't really know enough and you're moving way too fast with too little data to be safe" made alot more sense.

If you think about it, yeah.  Can you imagine that kind of giant leap in the real world?  Oooh, dino DNA... quick, lets make some T-Rex's!
View Quote

It’s a great parallel to a lot of the “new thing” we see today. Patented, processed, and packaged for your convenience in a nice $9.99 a month subscription.

Reckless science? Amazing discovery? Corporate greed? It’s a mix of all 3.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Good pacing, good acting, well cast, good story telling, good effects for the time, good memorable music, memorable scenes, well executed original idea for the time, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still great to this day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:45:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#41]
My lone complaint is that they didn’t even eat that delicious looking Chilean sea bass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#42]
It’s a fantastic movie that’s quotable, has a good story and characters, and effects.

Really probably the first blockbuster I remember being a part of. That water in the cup rumbling is foreboding and memorable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone who can't appreciate Jurassic Park probably didn't see it when it was first released.

It was a visual masterpiece and a lot of the technology used was very new.  It was one of the very first blockbusters to utilize CGI, but luckily the best dino footage was done with animatronics so those scenes still hold up today.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has a better "dinosaur" movie been made?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Metoo. 25? I don’t believe it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It’s a great parallel to a lot of the “new thing” we see today. Patented, processed, and packaged for your convenience in a nice $9.99 a month subscription.

Reckless science? Amazing discovery? Corporate greed? It’s a mix of all 3.
View Quote

Copied for pasting into a future AI thread.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#48]
hold onto your butts..
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Another movie "franchise" that should have ended it at one-and-done.

With only a few exceptions, sequels always suck.
View Quote

The actual book sequel was very good.  

“Objects are closer than they appear”
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#50]
A prequel with the "shoot her" / "clever girl" zoo keeper / hunter as the  main character is something that should have been made - better character than most in the movie, only person who worked at the park that actually respected the hazard and intellect of the animals.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top