BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $7.32 for a quarter pounder with cheese a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Took my sons to a local italian place last week.

3 - 1/2 Italian subs and one potato skin appetizer we shared.  3 soft drinks.

$70

The tickets for the basketball game we went to after were cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep. I’m still trying to figure out how people are paying for all this. Credit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear you and feel it too, but all the restaurants seem packed still.

Yep. I’m still trying to figure out how people are paying for all this. Credit?

All of that COVID money went to somebody...just not everybody.

Definitely a case of winners and losers.  

People who owned stocks, houses, or had high demand jobs made out like bandits.  People who rent and are in occupations where they are generally replaceable have gotten steamrolled by inflation.  Fiscal and monetary policy quite often end up working as de facto wealth transfer mechanisms.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What if I told you that you can still eat out even while at home?

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Good! Michael Douglas said it gave him throat cancer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wasnt around then either.

Prices today are ridiculous.
View Quote

I was around in the 60-s.  We went out almost jack shit of the time.  This was after my dad got out of the army.  I think we went to an all you can eat catfish place on Stewart ave here in Atlanta.  Twice.  I love catfish to this day.  I seldom eat fast food these days.  If we go out for dinner, I usually count on spending $100.  We don’t drink, so no alcohol added.  If I was living on a patrolman’s salary, we wouldn’t see the inside of a fast food restaurant unless I owned it.  Don’t see how young families can afford that.  

Add; dad did take me and my brother to one of the first Braves games when they came here.  Prices were different in the 60-s.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Same for me as well. I just can’t justify the ridiculous prices anymore for shit food. Nowadays going to the cafe at Sams while shopping counts as ‘eating out’ for our family lol.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't look now, but it's getting more expensive to eat at home too.  When it catches up to eating out we're gonna be in deep shit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I hardly ever eat out anymore.

Quality of ingredients and health concern.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wendy's $5 Biggy Bag enters the chat.
View Quote

they put a wendy's in near me last year and i tried it for the first time in like 10 years.  WTF did they do to their buns?

It was inedible.  Dry, insane roll like I got a gluten free or something.  Did i just get a dud or did they change their rolls?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
in Germany eating out is really cheap

0.5 Liter Beer - 4 euros

Currywurst and Potatoes - 10.90 euros

Croatian Food - 2 Pork Chops - 4 Cevapcici and Fries - 13.50 euros

I could go on

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

they put a wendy's in near me last year and i tried it for the first time in like 10 years.  WTF did they do to their buns?

It was inedible.  Dry, insane roll like I got a gluten free or something.  Did i just get a dud or did they change their rolls?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are dry and crumbly as hell. Noticed that awhile ago.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are dry and crumbly as hell. Noticed that awhile ago.
View Quote

what a tragedy.  I mean it's just fast food but as fast food burgers go wendy's had their place in the conversation. Their double was legit. And their lettuce and tomato was always fresher than the other usual suspects.

so odd that they'd fuck that up with some faux brioche thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
It is more expensive but if your pay hasn’t kept up with inflation the last few years you’re doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now go try Burger King. The Whopper is now a bun sandwich. It’s like eating a dough ball.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Mcdonalds and other fast food yes.

My local VFW does meals thursday nights. Chicken strips, dressed cheesburger, or two michigans and fries $10.

Elks club that I belong to has perch fries friday nights for $13 and other meals for $10-12.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#17]
damm bidennomics didnt fix this?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I hate traveling for work now-even nicer restaurants are noticeably cutting corners.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I grabbed McDonalds the other day, first time in probably 2 years. I about had a heart attack. It was like $15 for nothing. What's odd though is the line to the drive through wrapped around the building, and the "bring your order out" parking spots were full. I can't imagine who all of these people were.
View Quote

Dude, I live in a pretty populated, suburban family-type area, and EVERY drive-thru place is packed, every day.

Nobody cooks anymore.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been disappointed every time I've eaten out since COVID.  Shitty service, overpriced crap food.

Fuck it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Now go try Burger King. The Whopper is now a bun sandwich. It’s like eating a dough ball.
View Quote

Sad.  BK was the spot my dad and I used to go before a hockey game when I was a kid.  I liked th whopper.

Now I go to Culvers and add ketchup to the Culver's Deluxe.  Hits sort of like the whopper of old.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#22]
For me, it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra McChicken sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.
One time I asked for McChicken sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly McDonald's worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".
Now the staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three packets. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald's restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I'm in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.
I even dip my fries in McChicken sauce, it's delicious! What a great restaurant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until they implement surge pricing and that becomes $15 Biggy Bag during peak hours.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got a $100 gift certificate to the Capital Grille. That's gonna cost me a few hundred $$.
View Quote

Yep gotten that twice , bill ended up close to 300 both times
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a family of 6. When we eat out, anytime it is under $100, I am happy. We don’t eat fast food either.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Until they implement surge pricing and that becomes $15 Biggy Bag during peak hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they already realized they screwed up on that and quietly ''disappeared'' it. [and hid the bodies of the Haaaaavard marketing exec's to boot]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How often did people eat out in the 50's, 60's and 70's?  I wasn't around then.
View Quote

When I was a kid in the 70s if we ate out it was either one of my dad's clients or a place where we could place an order for two items and split them amongst the four of us.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]
As a kid in the 70's and 80's, going out to eat was a rare treat. Average was once a month. Fast food the same, if the family was out and about all day.

Not wasting my money on shit fast food for the last several years. Wife and I try like hell to frequent several of our "mom and pop's" and our local restaurants, avoid chains.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I made a pot of Chili (soup beans) yesterday, here is what it cost;
Walmart - store brands - prices rounded to nearest .50 dollar

$13.00 - 2.25 pds. ground beef 93% lean
$2.00   - 2 cans of red beans 14 oz
$1.50   - 1 can diced tomatoes 28 oz
$3.00   - 2 packs Chili seasoning
----------
$19.50 + tax and I didn't include the box of crackers

This makes one pot or about four bowls on Chili or $5.00 per bowl.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wife sprung for dinner last night at an upscale restaurant she had picked for our sons graduation dinner.

$97 + tip , for the two of us.

I won’t be frequenting their establishment….
View Quote

Did you forget to take your son to his graduation dinner?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's a PSA: learn to make good bread. It's not work, it's fun.

Every Monday morning there's a store here that gives 20% off on all kinds of really good flour. Every week I buy some and make a couple loaves of different types of sourdough bread. Plain, whole wheat, Jalapeño and cheddar, sun-dried tomato and capers, olive, garlic, cinnamon and raison, etc.

Lady Rodent doesn't eat as much of it as I do, but I have some kind of bread with almost every meal. They don't call it the "staff of life" for nuthin'.

A couple slices with coffee in the morning, a couple slices with soup or stew for lunch. Sometimes a sandwich. If any goes stale, Lady Rodent makes bread pudding or stuffing with it.

I figure it costs me, including electricity to run the oven, maybe $3 to make a loaf of whole wheat.

So for the cost of the gas it would take to drive to McDonald's I can make a loaf of gourmet bread. For the price of a meal at McDonald's we can eat gourmet bread for a week. For less than it would cost to eat at McDonald's, Lady Rodent and I can have homemade bread with olive oil, parmesan cheese and balsamic vinegar for dinner with a bottle of decent wine in front of the fire. And that includes the cost of the firewood.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I made a pot of Chili (soup beans) yesterday, here is what it cost;
Walmart - store brands - prices rounded to nearest .50 dollar

$13.00 - 2.25 pds. ground beef 93% lean
$2.00   - 2 cans of red beans 14 oz
$1.50   - 1 can diced tomatoes 28 oz
$3.00   - 2 packs Chili seasoning
----------
$19.50 + tax and I didn't include the box of crackers

This makes one pot or about four bowls on Chili or $5.00 per bowl.

View Quote

Learn how to shop.

And you can’t round every item up individually.

And who needs to buy chili seasoning packets?

So much WTF

ETA: And chili doesn’t have beans in it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

After church on Sundays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After church on Sundays.

In my family it was once a year after Easter service.  Yeah, we were poor.  Mom made better meals anyway.

Dad took us two kids out to Burger King once only because mom was visiting family overseas and he had a coupon for free fries.

A high school friend of mine used to work in McDonalds.  When he took your order for a burger and small fries, he'd come back with a Big Mac, and large fries.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Pre-Biden I used to have a sit-down early breakfast and sometimes on meet up with friends for lunch.
Not anymore, it's too damn expensive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't eat fat people food but if I'm in a rush I sometimes go to Culver's and get some burgers without buns. I love Culver's and have eaten there occasionally most of my life.

Portion sizes are down and quality isn't even close to what it used to be.

I was watching the prices rise slowly, maybe .30- .50 more for the same food every couple weeks.

Last week, in one week, the prices suddenly went up another 1.50 for the same 2 burgers. I'm done. I can make better food for 1/6th the price. Never thought I'd say it, but Culver's is gross now.

I live in an area with a lot of fat and lazy people. Usually the fast food places are packed, all day and all night. The past couple weeks they look to be slowing down big time
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Humble brag about being a poor?  Son (47), wife and I ate out Sat. night.  The service was great, the food excellent and the bill was $135.  I left the waiter $30.  The meal was well worth it.
View Quote

*Snort*... New Money... Lol.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Lunch for two at a Japanese restaurant was $48 w/ tip the other day.  The local breakfast place has entrees from $19.99 - $21.99 and coffee is $5.  That’d be around $30 just for breakfast.  

One of the only good deals around here is Jack in the Box using the app.  You can get a cheeseburger, taco, fries and a small drink for $5 plus tax.  Two tacos are still $.99 using the app.  In-N-Out burger is still pretty reasonable too and it’s good. . . A “double single” (2 patties w/ one slice of cheese) w/ tax is $5.53.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

After church on Sundays.
View Quote

This and for special occasions, for my family, and that was the '60s -through the 70s.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
mmmk
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#41]
One question though. Why do I need to order food through my phone to get a good deal? Why can't I just order food?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dude, I live in a pretty populated, suburban family-type area, and EVERY drive-thru place is packed, every day.

Nobody cooks anymore.
View Quote

See the same here.

I imagine all of them are in debt so massive they see no way out.

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a $100 gift certificate to the Capital Grille. That's gonna cost me a few hundred $$.

Sounds right!

If I remember correctly, the $100 might cover a bowl of mac n cheese and a mediocre bottle of wine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cheapest place I’ve found is the deli at the grocery store. I try to pack my lunch though
View Quote

Not when they charge 8-15 dollars for sliced meat.

We've drastically cut down eating out and reserved it for the few mom and pop places that have good quality and decent pricing. City BBQ is an exception because we can spend 26 dollars, eat, and have enough left over for lunch the next day and it's delicious.

There is an local place that has a great grill ham and cheese with bowl of homemade soup for 7.99. But you do have the tip on top of that.

Instead of that 25 dollars for two to eat out, I can get enough even at inflated grocery prices to make four or five meals that dont skimp on protein or quality.

Eating out is a luxury. I'd rather spend that money on something more substantial.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#45]
$15 -- $20 an hour has to come from somewhere.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One question though. Why do I need to order food through my phone to get a good deal? Why can't I just order food?
View Quote

So they can track and monetize your information.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Midwest kid from a blue collar family that grew up in the 70's and 80's.   We ate leftovers and "whatever you can find in the cupboard" FAR more often than dining out, especially a sit down place.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I hear you and feel it too, but all the restaurants seem packed still.
View Quote

US national credit card debt is at $1.129 trillion dollars.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, I stopped a while ago. For the price of one meal I could buy a couple pork loins from Aldi, and eat for a week!
View Quote
your house doesn't have an endless supply of hot young Latina waitresses to bone there, big shooter.

one of the perks of eating out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
your house doesn't have an endless supply of hot young Latina waitresses to bone there, big shooter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I stopped a while ago. For the price of one meal I could buy a couple pork loins from Aldi, and eat for a week!

We all pay for it one way or another…

ETA: I do love eating out.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top