Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2023 12:57:52 AM EDT
So I had to replace my backup camera on my 2013 ford edge. Yeah I
know I should not be dependent on it but I am.

Doing the work myself I had to use the 10mm socks a couple of different times.

Putting away the tools lo and behold my 10mm is gone, disappeared,  vanished, vanished. No where to be found.  Son of bitch this was from a American made  Craftsman tool set.

Ford wanted $320. for labor and $455. for the part that is on backorder.

$120. for a good after market camera + a missing 10mm socket
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Check your socks
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You decided to disassemble a 10 year old car.
I bet you were feeling very BRAVE that day. Weren't you?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have that set. Already lost the 1/4” deep socket. Only had the set since March.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Someday physicists will discover a natural principle which causes an instantaneous wormhole to appear then disappear in the path of any falling loose screw, nut, bolt, or socket head. The prevalence of these wormholes is related to the value - either in dollars or the degree to which that piece is necessity to reassemble the item being worked on. Having a backup for said item decreases the probability that a wormhole will appear.

And I assume there is a planet out there which is the other end of this wormhole - and that planet is covered in mountains of loose screws, bolts, nuts, and socket heads.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 2:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
5 or 6 months ago I replaced the coil packs on my wife’s car. These are held in place with a 10mm bolt.

When I was done with her car, I replaced the struts on my car.

I had put all my tools / supplies on a rolling cart. When I was done I threw away the trash, and went to put all my tools back in the toolbox.

Of course, I couldn’t find the 10mm socket. Not only was the socket missing, but it also took my 1/4” drive ratchet with it. SONOFABITCH!!

I looked EVERYWHERE, including the trash I threw away, all over under the hood of her car, even checked my car. I could not find the missing tools.

I kept looking for them off and on but eventually gave up, thinking I must have dropped it down inside the engine bay on her car, didn’t see it, and now some other bastard found it on the side of the road.

Last week while working on my bike, I went to pull a towel from the box of shop towels and felt / heard a sleight “thump” when I grabbed the box. Wondering what it was, I stuck my hand inside.

Yep, that’s where that ratchet & 10mm socket that had been sitting all this time.

I had the shop towels on the cart because I was using copper pack when I changed the struts on my car. I guess when I was putting stuff away, I dropped the tools inside the box of towels.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Someday physicists will discover a natural principle which causes an instantaneous wormhole to appear then disappear in the path of any falling loose screw, nut, bolt, or socket head. The prevalence of these wormholes is related to the value - either in dollars or the degree to which that piece is necessity to reassemble the item being worked on. Having a backup for said item decreases the probability that a wormhole will appear.

And I assume there is a planet out there which is the other end of this wormhole - and that planet is covered in mountains of loose screws, bolts, nuts, and socket heads.
View Quote

And left socks
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have that set. Already lost the 1/4" deep socket. Only had the set since March.
View Quote

i bought two sets for this exact reason.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know what happens to the 10mm sockets.
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Nah, in our brave new society it would be 10mm nuts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Craftsman 10mm I found in a Honda Civic I bought used. You need to go to harbor freight and get their 10mm multi pack
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Snap on and Harbor Freight both sell 10mm socket sets. You can also pick up individual sockets on eBay. Recently I lost a 8mm deep socket but I've lost my share of 10mms over the years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I found a Crescent 10mm socket the other day laying on the road as I was disconnecting the Cozad lowboy
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Snap on and Harbor Freight both sell 10mm socket sets. You can also pick up individual sockets on eBay. Recently I lost a 8mm deep socket but I've lost my share of 10mms over the years.
View Quote
$nap on wants like $187 for their set but the harbour freight set is like 15 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found a Crescent 10mm socket the other day laying on the road as I was disconnecting the Cozad lowboy
View Quote

PICS?!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Get some small  rare earth (erf) magnets.   Put the into the fingertip of a rubber /latex glove.  Put on the glove.  Find socket.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine always ends up in the kitchen or bathroom.

memes

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Yeah. I bought a similar set and all of my problems were solved. For about a month.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I once lost one into the abyss of the hatch on our old Mazda 3. I was tightening the spoiler and it slipped off my extension. Gone forever to FOD out the lift gate one day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Same thing in the AF. ??

We just say the 3 level waiting as the Expeditors scream at each other in front of the Pro Super to tell them he lost an apex after pulling panels on 6 jets for a one time TCTO, he didn’t know he lost it until the 7 level signed off all the work on the first 5 jets.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I subscribe to this theory.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#25]
A couple years ago I rearranged my garage. I found about 20 10mm sockets behind my workbench and tool boxes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
5 or 6 months ago I replaced the coil packs on my wife’s car. These are held in place with a 10mm bolt.

When I was done with her car, I replaced the struts on my car.

I had put all my tools / supplies on a rolling cart. When I was done I threw away the trash, and went to put all my tools back in the toolbox.

Of course, I couldn’t find the 10mm socket. Not only was the socket missing, but it also took my 1/4” drive ratchet with it. SONOFABITCH!!

I looked EVERYWHERE, including the trash I threw away, all over under the hood of her car, even checked my car. I could not find the missing tools.

I kept looking for them off and on but eventually gave up, thinking I must have dropped it down inside the engine bay on her car, didn’t see it, and now some other bastard found it on the side of the road.

Last week while working on my bike, I went to pull a towel from the box of shop towels and felt / heard a sleight “thump” when I grabbed the box. Wondering what it was, I stuck my hand inside.

Yep, that’s where that ratchet & 10mm socket that had been sitting all this time.

I had the shop towels on the cart because I was using copper pack when I changed the struts on my car. I guess when I was putting stuff away, I dropped the tools inside the box of towels.
View Quote

Nice, good to pull one back from the neither every once in a while.  Damn gremlins even drop them every once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I have exactly one 10mm socket. I haven't lost it yet, but it always takes me 30 minutes to find.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
$nap on wants like $187 for their set but the harbour freight set is like 15 bucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the Snap On set comes with a magnetic 10mm in 3/8. I just bought that socket. It's amazing. You no longer drop your 10mm bolts and nuts in to who knows where.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#29]
You said Craftsman, so you're in luck.  You can buy individual sockets.  Buying a replacement one is the very best way to have the old one show back up.  I can find replacement Icons, Sunex's and Astro's, but it takes more effort.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Harbor Freight has a set of 10mm sockets.  

Or go full send and get the Amazon 100pc 10 mm set for $40

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Did the same thing on my truck. It fell off the extension and went down in between the cab and the plastic thing for the seat belt. I tried but without tearing the whole truck apart, it’s gone. 10mm is always the hardest socket to find
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

And buying a replacement exponentially increases the odds that you will find the old socket the wormhole regurgitates the old socket.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#33]
All your 10mm are belong to me!

Now that I have seen this thread, I'm almost guaranteed to find someone's lost 10mm socket in an engine bay this week.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I've found more 10mm sockets than I've lost over the years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found a set of metric wrenches strewn for about two blocks in the road last summer.  The only one missing was the 10mm.

Put it in the recycle bin, worthless.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I just bought two different socket sets on clearance at Lowe’s for $10 each ($50 and $60 new) because each set had the 10mm socket stolen out of it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#39]
My GF found a 10mm wrench in the back pocket of one of my pants the other day lol, been looking for that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My GF found a 10mm wrench in the back pocket of one of my pants the other day lol, been looking for that.
View Quote
pics of wrench not loading there big shooter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#41]

7 1O 13 6pt 12pt Have multiples of and still have problems finding them. One set red another set tan and the the last, day glow green. When it comes to standard, 5/16 is the loose one.

My Snap/On does not leave the Tool Crib, lock and key. Teenagers and teenagers, even with broken fingers tools still disappear. Last time I metal detected at my Dads house looking for more silver, that I most probably lost as a kid, I found some Williams sockets that Dad has been bitching about for 50 years. I called it even and tried to take my his Snap On set. He said do not worry as the grandkids have been in it anyway.

I bought them each Craftsman or S/K sets to stay out of mine. I go to pawn shops and buy tool boxes full of everything and they will be laying in the woods. At least now they take the detector with them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#43]
american craftsman sucks, this is an excuse to upgrade
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#44]
My Craftsman USA made 10mm deep socket split while replacing the Vtech solenoid filter a couple months back.  Barely had any torque on it and “pop”.   The replacement from Lowe’s was foreign made. Oh well.

See post above.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a guy at one of my stores come up and ask me if I was missing a wrench a while back.

He found it in the parking lot, and had it sitting in his locker for a month. I thought it went into the wormhole.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#46]
A few years back I dropped one while working in the engine bay. I clearly heard it hit the concrete garage floor and roll a short distance.

No biggie, I'll just look under the car and it'll be right there!?!

Nope.

I got the broom and swept the area around the tires, etc.

Nothing.

Pushed the car out of the garage. Checked the few areas off to the side where the socket might have possibly rolled....

Nowhere.

I thought, somehow I was mistaken when I thought it hit the floor. Maybe it's on a frame piece under the motor?   Got my telescoping magnet and a SureFire, spent a good 20-30 minutes checking every little nook and cranny..   I even put another socket (non-10mm) in the wrench and intentionally dropped it from the same location. As expected, it hit the ground under the car and rolled about 18 inches to where I could easily find it.

Friggin weird...
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

An interesting theory. I have kept a 10mm deep socket in captivity for over two years now by keeping it on its own dedicated ratchet handle from which it is never removed.

Apparently the added mass is enough to keep it from undergoing a dimensional shift or going in to wormhole.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I use plastic boxes when working on stuff and if a tool isn't in my hand it's in that box, the other box is for the nuts and bolts.

After I started doing this I stopped losing tools and fasteners.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Seriously, what's the deal with 10mm sockets? They just frickin' vanish!  
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I have probably 5 10mm wrenches but out of 4 or 5 socket sets only one 10mm socket.

Why can’t they just make stuff 3/8” instead….those sockets never get lost.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top