Quoted:

History will look back on this as an example of mass hysteria
View Quote

Mass hysteria caused by the media.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surprised this site doesn't give out more epidemiologist badges.
We have thousands.
View Quote

Epidemiologists are just humans.  Not gods.  Humans are incompetent.  Humans have agendas.  Humans are corrupt.  Being an epidemiologist does not exclude you from being human.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not a doomer or a flu bro. Just pointing out how retarded some people are that they think they have the tiger by the tail here. I think nobody really truly knows.
View Quote

I certainly don't think I have the tiger by the tail... I'm very open to actual info on how I'm looking at this wrong, but so far nearly all I get is people making ad hominim attacks, posting gifs, and being snarky.  Maybe GD was the wrong place to look.  

I do think you're right, nobody TRULY knows.   The numbers that I think will be most useful won't be out for at least another year, those are the numbers on TOTAL flu/pneumonia deaths for the year, and how they compare to an average year.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

KNOWN cases that tested positive. For all you know half the state has had it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I know is that we had 2 cases in Florida a month ago, 192 three weeks ago, and 5,461 as of today.

That's a steep curve.

KNOWN cases that tested positive. For all you know half the state has had it.

There’s no evidence of an infection rate that high anywhere outside of small Italian towns where, surprise, Wuhan killed boatloads of people.  It’s just not possible that that many people have already been infected.  And no evidence of a sustained case fatality rate of less than 1%, or even as low as 1%.  Even Germany and South Korea are verging on CFRs of 2%.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, NYC is a special case... not only is there a high density, there's a very, VERY strong trend in the most dense areas of not cooking for yourself, but getting take-out or delivery at least once per day, if not every meal.  The apartments are just too tiny, kitchens are tiny, grocery stores aren't just down the block, a lot of them don't have cars, etc..  I think that alone is likely one factor that greatly increases their natrual R0.

Just Italy?  Not.... you know... the North of Italy? Because the South of Italy hasn't had the problems.

Evidently, when you have a location with a very old population, small housing with multiple generations living together, a culture with much less "personal space", very high rate of obesity and type 2, the worst air quality in all of Europe, an extremely high rate of chronic pulmonary disease, and respiratory ICUs that run 90-95% occupied in a NORMAL season... respiratory issues hit them harder.   Who would have thought?  Yet, despite being a nearly perfect storm for COVID... their COVID deaths are only about 60% of their average number of flu deaths.
View Quote

The area of Northern Italy where it is bad is one of the most densely populated areas of Europe:

Plus Italy, Spain and France have lots of this:

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the corona deaths you're seeing are after all the shutdown, social distancing, etc policies have been put in place. I've seen quite a few people here thinking along the lines of "we implemented a bunch of new policies, the deaths aren't as bad as original projections, so why did we implement the policies?" which is just such a silly train of thought.
View Quote

They should go watch Tucker Carlson who addresses that exact issue and be educated.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Epidemiologists are just humans.  Not gods.  Humans are incompetent.  Humans have agendas.  Humans are corrupt.  Being an epidemiologist does not exclude you from being human.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surprised this site doesn't give out more epidemiologist badges.
We have thousands.

When the data is on Global Warming or gun violence, GD calls BS and says the "experts" are full of shit and have an agenda, which is true. For some reason, half of GD is eating up everything the "experts" are saying about this virus. The worse the prediction, the more the doomers believe it as absolute truth. When you point out that the real world data isn't living up to the predictions, you're a "flubro."
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait two weeks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Wherever you are right now is two weeks behind NYC.  Which was two weeks behind Spain, which is two weeks behind Italy.
Which is two week behind China’s official numbers and another two weeks behind their unreported numbers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out. Your 16 minutes searching google is the break through everyone needed. I for one am relieved. Thank you for your service.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

All the models have been wrong. Every single one of them
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out. Your 16 minutes searching google is the break through everyone needed. I for one am relieved. Thank you for your service.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

No need to thank him, I'm sure it's a public service.

If you saw a retard walking into the street, you wouldn't direct him away from traffic
just for a pat on the back.  A 3-legged dog with it's head up a bull's ass. You'd pull it out.

Figuratively speaking, most of the "flu-bros" are just trying to help retards stay away from traffic.

Going by your pathetic diatribe, you must buy into "man-made global warming", so you've rid yourself
of your car, donated to Gore, don't eat meat, live in a 1000' sqr house ... just how committed are you ?

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The projections always assumed strict social distancing and were still wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the corona deaths you're seeing are after all the shutdown, social distancing, etc policies have been put in place. I've seen quite a few people here thinking along the lines of "we implemented a bunch of new policies, the deaths aren't as bad as original projections, so why did we implement the policies?" which is just such a silly train of thought.

The projections always assumed strict social distancing and were still wrong

Yep. A week ago they were saying 100,000 - 200,000 on the low side with aggressive social distancing.

I'm not a flu bro but something stinks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

History will look back on this as an example of mass hysteria

And politics
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
the world health organization claimed a cfr of 3%. which is horrifying compared to flu's fatality risk. everyone must be dying. . . right?!

except they're not. germany's heinsberg reports a cfr of 0.37%, similar to flu's 0.1%. singapore verified these claim, approximately 0.37%. then we have iceland, who also reports in the 0.3% range, except they don't care about social distancing. more interestingly, these countries are much more centralized with much more traffic. so you would see faster propagation with more connections, but this is not the case. nor is there any correlation with high density or low density cities. for example, new york has reported very high rates even with social distancing. so. . . i'm not sure what the distancing has to do with the disease, i thought it was a game everyone was playing - like monopoly at mcdonalds/safeway. it's fun if you're interested, but nobody really cares.

germany's prjs are mostly communications. but stanford and ucsf have both published that it's expected to be 0.2% or 0.1%. in fact, modulating infection rates does little to the curve.

cfr = case fatality risk.
scfr = symptomatic case fatality risk
ifr = infection fatality risk

so the reality is people are dying. not from corona virus, but just in every day life. it might be actual flu. regardless, sequencing the virus is somewhat difficult. a prj published a few days ago said that the old antibody assay based on igG was liable to give false positives - so it is mostly hysteria. whereas igA was for more reliable. assays are not absolute. but nobody really seems to care or they seem unable to read these papers. which is baffling, all prjs are free and online (the biology education too via stanford.edu or kahn academy). many of which are posted here. in fact, none of the prjs have stated that coronavirus is a problem. so i assumed corona virus was actually a fashion thing like bell bottoms or handkerchiefs.
as of march 18th, the antibody study says that the igg false positives are likely tagging MERS as the doppleganger to covid. i mean they're all kind of flu so i guess it kind of makes sense (specifically, MERS).
the media also claims the spread is exponential! oh noes! but -x^2 is negative - which means it's just a glorified bell curve. science is such that unless there's evidence that something is happening (we call it p), then we have to assume nothing is happening. all of these are largish n. germany was n=500 and sinagpore was n=1628.
the japanese cruise was much the same. the media used the raw estimate to count the amount of people died as the hysteria button. but when corrected for age and condition, it was actually tamer than the flu. those people were likely going to expire in a stiff breeze more than a virus. but don't let that stop the hysteria.
my word, isn't absolute either. it could be that i missed something critical. but all the prjs i've seen have said it's nothing. only the media has said it's something.
also, i tried checking the communications of germany's virology research. it's all in german with no translations i could find. and google translate isn't really something to trust for something this important, but all news sites that translate and paraphrase are consistent with the translation: nothing is happening.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Big crowds out for Mother’s Day yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Will there be a huge spike due to the protests?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know, flubro, doomer, yeah.  Bear with me.

My state's department of health says that in a normal year, we lose roughly 1200 to "influenza or pneumonia".  Digging deeper into sources, I found that the breakdown is about 350 to the flu itself, and another 850 to "chronic lower respiratory diseases".   According to the chart from the department of health, the number dying from "influenza or pneumonia" would go from about 1200 to about 1800 under conditions considered "epidemic".  Furthermore, if flu-caused deaths track flu-caused hospitalizations, their charts show that virtually all of them happen from late January to late March.  So most of those 350 deaths from the flu itself would have happened during that time period.  They also published that this flu season, we've hospitalized 1147 people for the flu.

OK, so what's happening with COVID 19?   We've hospitalized 158, and had 13 deaths.   13.7% of the hospitalizations compared to the flu, 3.7% of the deaths.   Now, that will surely grow, as we're still going to get more hospitalizations and deaths.  But how many more?

Early projections were that we'd get 500 COVID deaths.  Even if each and every one of those were over and above normal flu and pneumonia (which they surely aren't), that would barely bring us up to an "epidemic" year.  However, they recently revised their projections and said we could expect just under 200 cases.  Today, they revised sickness/hospitalization projections even lower, and decided to stop even saying how many deaths there would be.

So, summary:  We're likely to get only a small fraction of COVID deaths compared to flu deaths, and a VERY small fraction compared to "flu and pneumonia" deaths.  Such a small fraction, in fact, that we won't even rise to "epidemic" levels. (which we DID in the flu season of 2018.)

If I'm looking at this data wrong... please tell me.
View Quote

welcome to the party pal

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude.

No one cares about corona now.

The pandemic of racism is what's really killing everyone!
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dude.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.

Yes!  You cucks keep putting on masks, social distancing and allowing as much of your day to day life to be controlled by your state & local .gov....while we run out and protest 24/7, break & burn shit and focus on the real problem...racism!   Just keep looking at that shiny covid-19 thing while we "fundamentally transform America" (remember that one?).
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

Covid is so last week. It's not fashionable any more.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of us have been saying this since Feb.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL the doomtards sure are angry the riots took their thunder
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes!  You cucks keep putting on masks, social distancing and allowing as much of your day to day life to be controlled by your state & local .gov....while we run out and protest 24/7, break & burn shit and focus on the real problem...racism!   Just keep looking at that shiny covid-19 thing while we "fundamentally transform America" (remember that one?).
View Quote

word.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, my thread is resurrected!

Following up... like I said, my state normally loses 1200 to flu/pneumonia during a year.  1800 during an epidemic year.

We're currently up to ~140 COVID deaths.  So we'd still need >10x as many just to equal a bad flu year.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hey, my thread is resurrected!

Following up... like I said, my state normally loses 1200 to flu/pneumonia during a year.  1800 during an epidemic year.

We're currently up to ~140 COVID deaths.  So we'd still need >10x as many just to equal a bad flu year.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we have
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know people who haven't been inside other peoples homes since literally March
Restaurants are just now starting to re-open to sit-down customers, and I've had some local people telling me the last couple of days that they'll refuse to go out to restaurants or other places because they think its still too soon to re-open.
That level of social isolation is going to have some long lasting effects on some members of society.
I think that seeing some people wearing face masks will continue to be common for some people long after the governments lift that requirement on the general population.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top