Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bakkbakk:
any top secret places for cheap gym equipment?

Rogues cheaper version of their bumper plates are the cheapest I can find.  Also looking for regular Olympic weights.  

ironcompany and rogue are the only 2 I know of.  Probably a full set of bumpers and 700lbs of regular.  Havent decided on bars yet

wwhwd
View Quote

Muscledriverusa.com has same plates as Rogue and usually is running some sale.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CLICKBANGBANG] [#2]
Originally Posted By bakkbakk:
any top secret places for cheap gym equipment?

Rogues cheaper version of their bumper plates are the cheapest I can find.  Also looking for regular Olympic weights.  

ironcompany and rogue are the only 2 I know of.  Probably a full set of bumpers and 700lbs of regular.  Havent decided on bars yet

wwhwd
View Quote

Craigslist for rusty plates at $.50 a pound and nasty bars with Ebolaids for $50. Or buy at $1-2 a pound new. Other brands are Adar, York, Body Solid, Power Systems, Cap, and whatever Dicks sporting goods is carrying. I watched craigslist for months before just buying everything new. The best deals were when gyms were going out of business. But none were close to me. The diesel fuel burned to pick up the plates made the deal a wash with new equipment.

I ended up with new Titain power rack with dip bars, York 300 lbs plate set and bar, Rouge bolt together bench, and Cap plate stand. Then a few tractor supply horse matts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Hank!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Spent the weekend running from FEMA Bots.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
Best post in that thread...

For some reason the N=1 and then trying to fit that against a large sample size just drives me insane.  Particularly when the person can't be argued with...
The
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
Best post in that thread...

Originally Posted By webman:
I know this one guy who does this esoteric job, with job-specific techniques, in the hot sun, for twenty hours a day, seven days a week, and he's never been to a gym!  He's only a buck-fifty, but stronger than any tier-1 athlete!  I don't know any competitive strongmen or Rich Fronings that could do that, and it isn't just because I don't actually know any strongmen, powerlifters, weightlifters, or Rich Fronings.  I once heard from a guy, who knows a guy that saw a Highland Games farm rodeo hay bailing competition once, that some bodybuilder entered a cow-milking competition, and he was so stiff and out of shape that he died just trying to wipe his ass on the shitter because after he took too much whey before the competition!  If that isn't proof that lifting weights is retarded, and moving couches is the ultimate in functional fitness, I don't know what is!

P.S. - Don't try fighting one of these guys, either.  I have a hunch, based on a gut-instinct, rooted firmly in conjecture, that wiry little guys are the baddest motherfuckers on the planet.  Weight classes in professional fights are just to protect the slow, plodding heavies from getting killed!  Honest Injun.

Does that about sum it up?

For some reason the N=1 and then trying to fit that against a large sample size just drives me insane.  Particularly when the person can't be argued with...
The

Awww, shucks
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone ever get callouses so bad that they rip open and leave an open wound?

Shits been driving me nuts for the past few days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Truth2882:

View Quote

take care of you callus before they rip.  I sand mine once a week and put lotion on them all the time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:25:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#9]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:
YES!!!
View Quote

No.....

Still waiting for that, "excuse me, is that an uzi?" shirt.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tcataz:

take care of you callus before they rip.  I sand mine once a week and put lotion on them all the time.
View All Quotes

IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
This is pretty fuckin' amazing

I can't comprehend how his body isn't completely broken. That's like 12 hours of swimming, biking, running everyday for 50 days straight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Rex, how'd the strongman go?

View Quote
Poorly.

Well, I say that...

So to start, when we'd heard the event had been moved "to the conference center" we expected, you know, AC, water fountains, etc.

What they meant was the event had been moved to the conference center parking lot. I did not have water, or an ez-up, or a cooler or fucking sunscreen because the original venue was inside (at a gym) and there was no mention of it being outdoors in southern Virginia in the middle of fucking JULY.

Then, I practice the keg clean and press with what I THOUGHT was my weight. It was difficult, very awkward, but I did it so whatever. Went over to the circus dumbbell, 20 pounds heavier than what we were told, (told 70#, ended up being 90) and 70 was going to be a stretch as it was, not to push, but to keep steady at the top.

Long story short, I bombed. The keg was way heavier than I had lifted in practice, and it was a movement I'd never done before that day. I was hot, sweaty, and totally mentally unprepared. We were given no competition order, no "on deck/in the hole" notifications, just "Rex? You're up." I'm on deck? "no, we're waiting on you, go!" Fucking disaster. I was able to pretty easily clean the keg, but fought my injured shoulder (and overall lack of strength from being sick) to get it overhead. Goosegg. :(

Second event, deadlift, I actually did pretty well. 3 attempts, 60 seconds to complete an 18" deadlift. Pulled 455 for my opener just to make sure I had a score, then jumped to 555 for my second lift. 100 pounds? Not a problem. Went up pretty fast, felt good, no form compromise. A+. Then went to 605 for my third lift. Started the pull, got off the blocks then realized "Well, I can finish this lift, OR I can do some other things today, like walk. Not worth it." and called it off.

The other events were nothing special, and this was the result of the farmer carry (200# per hand, turn around a keg).

Pretty miserable day, with some very fit, very strong dudes competing with me. But the day wasn't all bad...  

Lessons learned:

Always bring a cooler with cold water and your EZ UP. Better to have and not need, etc.

Get a keg and start practicing with it.

Don't compete 3 days after you've had a 100+ fever and expect to do well.

Support personnel/Cheerleaders are invaluable. Grab their butts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By therex:
Poorly.

Well, I say that...  

So to start, when we'd heard the event had been moved "to the conference center" we expected, you know, AC, water fountains, etc.

What they meant was the event had been moved to the conference center parking lot. I did not have water, or an ez-up, or a cooler or fucking sunscreen because the original venue was inside (at a gym) and there was no mention of it being outdoors in southern Virginia in the middle of fucking JULY.

Then, I practice the keg clean and press with what I THOUGHT was my weight. It was difficult, very awkward, but I did it so whatever. Went over to the circus dumbbell, 20 pounds heavier than what we were told, (told 70#, ended up being 90) and 70 was going to be a stretch as it was, not to push, but to keep steady at the top.

Long story short, I bombed. The keg was way heavier than I had lifted in practice, and it was a movement I'd never done before that day. I was hot, sweaty, and totally mentally unprepared. We were given no competition order, no "on deck/in the hole" notifications, just "Rex? You're up." I'm on deck? "no, we're waiting on you, go!" Fucking disaster. I was able to pretty easily clean the keg, but fought my injured shoulder (and overall lack of strength from being sick) to get it overhead. Goosegg. :(

Second event, deadlift, I actually did pretty well. 3 attempts, 60 seconds to complete an 18" deadlift. Pulled 455 for my opener just to make sure I had a score, then jumped to 555 for my second lift. 100 pounds? Not a problem. Went up pretty fast, felt good, no form compromise. A+. Then went to 605 for my third lift. Started the pull, got off the blocks then realized "Well, I can finish this lift, OR I can do some other things today, like walk. Not worth it." and called it off.

The other events were nothing special, and this was the result of the farmer carry (200# per hand, turn around a keg).

Pretty miserable day, with some very fit, very strong dudes competing with me. But the day wasn't all bad...  

Lessons learned:
Always bring a cooler with cold water and your EZ UP. Better to have and not need, etc.
View All Quotes

Poorly.

Well, I say that...  

Lessons learned:

Sounds like the event was run by idiots
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By MeatBag:

View Quote
Definitely could have been run better.

Lemme give you a great example:

The Deadlift. Off a platform. Bar height, 18". For reasons unknown to me they combined the novice AND lightweights AND heavyweights for the deadlift.

They went up in 50# increments until 600#, then up by 20. (Nevermind that most of the novice and lightweights were tapping out after 500)

Now, firstly. They "called us over" to the deadlift area 20 minutes before we even were permitted to warm up. Which means we were all BAKING in the sun for that time. Then, they had this convoluted system where you'd go find YOUR judge, declare your opening weight, and she'd tell you who you were lifting after. Why? I don't know. It would have been very easy to just say "Ok, next pull, XXX pounds! Line up if you want to attempt this." Then before you set up, tell your judge your FUCKING NAME. They did not do this because reasons.

Then, during the intro, there was basically no explanation of rules. I later found out that you had a full 60 seconds from "go" to complete your lift, so if something felt hinky you could set the weight back down, and re-set. Would have been helpful to know for my 605 attempt, (though I probably still would have bailed on it...3x bodyweight? I am not there yet.) but there was no pre-lift brief. Then some retread tried to roll the bar under his knees and stand up with it in some sort of bizarre zercher deadlift front squat thing. Everyone was like 'oh god' but they let him try (and faaaaaaaaaaaiiiillll).

Pretty disorganized, especially considering the other two events I've been to have just been, like, fantastic. My ladyfriend was like 'Uh, none of this fuckery has anything to do with strongman, it has to do with just complete ineptitude at running a competition.'

Despite all that, I was ill-prepared to compete. My poor showing (10th, I think) was no one's responsibility but my own. But still, didn't need to add insult to injury by running the event like jackwagons.

Another example: They used a plastic keg for the one of the kegs over bar. Guess what happened after the first keg over bar event? Yup, it broke. Their response? #dealwithit you still have one handle. (And a jagged plastic edge) Big ole bruise on my bicep from that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Poorly.

Well, I say that...  

Lessons learned:
View All Quotes

Poorly.

Well, I say that...  

Lessons learned:

Sounds similar to my experience the Saturday before.  What is the deal with fucking parking lots in the middle of July?  But at least my comp was selling cold beer and water.  I hear you on the fever.  You cannot recover from that in 3 days, no matter how much you want to.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I love comps in the heat. As long as i have water im good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#17]

The Deadlift. Off a platform. Bar height, 18". For reasons unknown to me they combined the novice AND lightweights AND heavyweights for the deadlift.

They went up in 50# increments until 600#, then up by 20. (Nevermind that most of the novice and lightweights were tapping out after 500)

Now, firstly. They "called us over" to the deadlift area 20 minutes before we even were permitted to warm up. Which means we were all BAKING in the sun for that time. Then, they had this convoluted system where you'd go find YOUR judge, declare your opening weight, and she'd tell you who you were lifting after. Why? I don't know. It would have been very easy to just say "Ok, next pull, XXX pounds! Line up if you want to attempt this." Then before you set up, tell your judge your FUCKING NAME. They did not do this because reasons.

Then, during the intro, there was basically no explanation of rules. I later found out that you had a full 60 seconds from "go" to complete your lift, so if something felt hinky you could set the weight back down, and re-set. Would have been helpful to know for my 605 attempt, (though I probably still would have bailed on it...3x bodyweight? I am not there yet.) but there was no pre-lift brief. Then some retread tried to roll the bar under his knees and stand up with it in some sort of bizarre zercher deadlift front squat thing. Everyone was like 'oh god' but they let him try (and faaaaaaaaaaaiiiillll).

Pretty disorganized, especially considering the other two events I've been to have just been, like, fantastic. My ladyfriend was like 'Uh, none of this fuckery has anything to do with strongman, it has to do with just complete ineptitude at running a competition.'

Despite all that, I was ill-prepared to compete. My poor showing (10th, I think) was no one's responsibility but my own. But still, didn't need to add insult to injury by running the event like jackwagons.

Another example: They used a plastic keg for the one of the kegs over bar. Guess what happened after the first keg over bar event? Yup, it broke. Their response? #dealwithit you still have one handle. (And a jagged plastic edge) Big ole bruise on my bicep from that.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By MeatBag:

While it sounded like a cluster. Caulk it up to experience.

Next time you know what to expect anywhere you go.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Ya. Not sure what that's about, but some of them sure seem distended.

Not hot.
View All Quotes
Anyone watch any of the crossfit games?  I'm seeing a lot of women with what may be HGH bellies.

Not hot.

That didn't jump out at me...but I wouldn't be surprised.  But those 2 Icelandic blondes...Sigmonsdottir and Davidsdottir

I bet we don't see the Pegboard again
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Looong 16hr shift last night. Haven't slept. Just wanted some low volume heavy shit.

Dips
BW+
25 x 10
50 x 5
70 x 3
90 x 2
105 x 2
115 x 2
125 x 2
135 x 2

Chins
BW+
25 x 8
35 x 5
45 x 2
60 x 2
70 x 2
80 x 2
90 x 2

Shoulder must not be so bum after all.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#20]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:

That didn't jump out at me...but I wouldn't be surprised.  But those 2 Icelandic blondes...Sigmonsdottir and Davidsdottir

View All Quotes
Anyone watch any of the crossfit games?  I'm seeing a lot of women with what may be HGH bellies.

Not hot.

That was just stupid.  Last year's double grace after the rope climbs was bad ass.  Those were some big damned kettlebells though.

ETA: it was cool to see that the girl who won, Katrin, is coached by the guy who does my programming.  That would explain why assault bikes have been programmed so much.  I guess he knew.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]

That was just stupid.  Last year's double grace after the rope climbs was bad ass.  Those were some big damned kettlebells though.

ETA: it was cool to see that the girl who won, Katrin, is coached by the guy who does my programming.  That would explain why assault bikes have been programmed so much.  I guess he knew.
View All Quotes

Not hot.

Someone is going to try KBS with one of those 200+lb'rs...Just wait!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Not hot.

Hell yes.  I've done a double swing with 80# kbs.  That's a grown ass man exercise right there.  200+ would instantly increase the quality and consistency of hair on your chest.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Good, cuase it would rip your arms off, 200lbs of momentum is a sonabitch lol
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit, loaded my bar 5#s light for my final set of squats.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

found a product for you link
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I actually make a beeswax-based balm for hands that people fucking RAVE about. There's a picture of my rip a few posts above, that was saturday evening. It's almost healed now. Keeps callouses pliable, heals cuts and tears. I really should sell it. :(

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By KaiK:

Shit, loaded my bar 5#s light for my final set of squats.

View Quote

So you chicken'd out.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I actually make a beeswax-based balm for hands that people fucking RAVE about. There's a picture of my rip a few posts above, that was saturday evening. It's almost healed now. Keeps callouses pliable, heals cuts and tears. I really should sell it. :(  
View All Quotes

I actually just use "bag balm". It is cheap and lasts a long time. We used all the time on the ranch growing up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:05:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: htusa] [#31]

View All Quotes

I use the stuff tcataz posted. That stuff is pretty good!!!

I have kicked a few callouses to the dirt with that stuff.

If you make some more of the beeswax stuff. YOU LET ME KNOW!!! Ill pay top dollar.

I have never tried it but I tried some other, someone made years ago and it is like it has unicorn farts in it or something.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#32]

I actually just use "bag balm". It is cheap and lasts a long time. We used all the time on the ranch growing up.
View All Quotes

The Burts Bees stuff in the tin works pretty well.  I've also used some of the farmer's hands lotions.  The key for me is sanding them down every night and then I puts the lotion on the skin before bed.  Then more lotion after I work out in the morning, if possible.  Also learn to love the hook grip, which will take a lot of the pressure of your callouses for any pulling you do with the barbell.  When you tear, you must learn to properly tape your hands so they can heal.  There's several different ways to do it, but the best for me is ripping a finger hole for your middle finger, then taping down your hand vertically, then wrapping with another around your wrist.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By htusa:

If you make some more of the beeswax stuff. YOU LET ME KNOW!!! Ill pay top dollar.

I have never tried it but I tried some other, someone made years ago and it is like it has unicorn farts in it or something.

View Quote
IM me your address, I've got a tube or two left, I'll throw them to you.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

I'm interested in what you put in it, my wife makes our families soap, lotion and a salve that I've used.  I'll give the info to her and see how it compares to hers.

Since I made a post a few months back about ripping a callus off and someone posted the video showing how to grip the bar I haven't even really had big calluses.  It was primarily on the dead lifts that I had trouble and by putting the bar in my fingers instead of in the palm, then taking some weight it doesn't pinch that flesh at the base of the fingers.  

Still getting better at the hook grip though, that's not exactly comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By SCW:

I'm interested in what you put in it, my wife makes our families soap, lotion and a salve that I've used.  I'll give the info to her and see how it compares to hers.

Since I made a post a few months back about ripping a callus off and someone posted the video showing how to grip the bar I haven't even really had big calluses.  It was primarily on the dead lifts that I had trouble and by putting the bar in my fingers instead of in the palm, then taking some weight it doesn't pinch that flesh at the base of the fingers.  

View Quote
Ingredients:

Beeswax, grapeseed oil, shea butter, birch oil, helichrysum, chamomile.

If applied right, it's not very greasy, dries pretty quick but everyone who has ever used it just freakin' raves about it. I put it in chapstick tubes, with directions to put it on callouses fresh out of the shower after they've been shaved. keep them nice and pliable, and if you have a tear, it might help it heal faster*.

And yeah, hook grip sucks until it doesn't. At the comp this weekend I hooked my deadlift opener (455) (because gripping a bar any other way feels weird) and the NAS rep was like:

Hookgrip?

*this statement not evaluated by the FDA
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Ingredients:   Beeswax, grapeseed oil, shea butter, birch oil, helichrysum, chamomile.

If applied right, it's not very greasy, dries pretty quick but everyone who has ever used it just freakin' raves about it. I put it in chapstick tubes, with directions to put it on callouses fresh out of the shower after they've been shaved. keep them nice and pliable, and if you have a tear, it might help it heal faster*.

And yeah, hook grip sucks until it doesn't. At the comp this weekend I hooked my deadlift opener (455) (because gripping a bar any other way feels weird) and the NAS rep was like:

Hookgrip?
http://media.giphy.com/media/QHsDPTyYU2R0Y/giphy.gif

View All Quotes

Ingredients:   Beeswax, grapeseed oil, shea butter, birch oil, helichrysum, chamomile.

Hookgrip?

double overhand?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Hookgrip?

View All Quotes

Hookgrip?

Told the wife, she asked 'what's wrong with mine?  Mine would work just fine..."

I told her those special words that make a marriage work.... "You're probably right, dear".

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Told the wife, she asked 'what's wrong with mine?  Mine would work just fine..."

I told her those special words that make a marriage work.... "You're probably right, dear".

View All Quotes

Hookgrip?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Hookgrip?

Well I'm sure hers is just fine but the grapeseed & birch oils along with the helichrysum do have documented skin healing properties #justsayin.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#40]

double overhand?
View Quote
absolutely.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I have some veins starting to show on the side of my head, is this something to be concerned about?

I am at a lower body fat percentage than I have been since I was in my teens, so that probably has something to do with it, but I'm at the age now that any change is probably something I should ask about.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
I have some veins starting to show on the side of my head, is this something to be concerned about?

I am at a lower body fat percentage than I have been since I was in my teens, so that probably has something to do with it, but I'm at the age now that any change is probably something I should ask about.
View Quote

Have you visited any african countries lately?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

No, but I was in texas a few months back, am I going to die?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Shooting for 323x3 on mid grip swiss and failed at 3.  I then realized that my pins were set one spot lower than usual because I had my nephew over lifting with me last week.  Took me a couple of minutes to squirm out from under the bar.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Shooting for 323x3 on mid grip swiss and failed at 3.  I then realized that my pins were set one spot lower than usual because I had my nephew over lifting with me last week.  Took me a couple of minutes to squirm out from under the bar.  
View Quote

What is mid grip swiss?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

You sir are a saint.

IM inbound.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Well, yah...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Well, yah...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

Well, yah...
You are going to die, go into the great beyond, meet whoever is your making; knowing without a doubt, THAT GOD BLESSED TEXAS!

except Austin
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#49]
    What is mid grip swiss?
View All Quotes
    What is mid grip swiss?

Benching w a Swiss bar
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Keto diet day 2, I fucking hate everyone and everything right now.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top