Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 2:00:20 PM EDT
Let me explain why.

If you are the working poor, you are infact going to be covered by medicaid especially if you have kids....the numbers just fall like that.

So, there is a huge incentive to not ever make more than what it needed because if you do you'll lose medicaid. Another thing is that the working poor's healthcare at the their job is not subsidized at all. I worked for a major Hotel chain and for a family plan premiums were about $800 a month and you then have deductables, OOP etc. So...still fucking expensive to get sick.

So...we can now see how one big issues teh welfare state has grown so much is that the working poor is finacnially inventivized to stay poor.

That's one way single payer would solve the issues. You would not have to take into consideration making more money and losing your healthcare or making it un affordable.

The ACA does not solve this at all...period. Those plans may be free, but OOP expensed and deductibles are in the thousands.

So, by shifting the insurance premiums to payroll deduction or when you file your taxes...you will elimiate this issuie and more people will start to make money and rise out of poverty and put more money into FICA accounts, which will help medicaid, mediaare, and soc sec.

I have never ever heard anyone ever bring this point up ever...probably because the electoed officials are all upper class and the poor aren't well read into this shit.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#2]
Originally Posted By midcap:
Let me explain why.

If you are the working poor, you are infact going to be covered by medicaid especially if you have kids....the numbers just fall like that.

So, there is a huge incentive to not ever make more than what it needed because if you do you'll lose medicaid. Another thing is that the working poor's healthcare at the their job is not subsidized at all. I worked for a major Hotel chain and for a family plan premiums were about $800 a month and you then have deductables, OOP etc. So...still fucking expensive to get sick.

So...we can now see how one big issues teh welfare state has grown so much is that the working poor is finacnially inventivized to stay poor.

That's one way single payer would solve the issues. You would not have to take into consideration making more money and losing your healthcare or making it un affordable.

The ACA does not solve this at all...period. Those plans may be free, but OOP expensed and deductibles are in the thousands.

So, by shifting the insurance premiums to payroll deduction or when you file your taxes...you will elimiate this issuie and more people will start to make money and rise out of poverty and put more money into FICA accounts, which will help medicaid, mediaare, and soc sec.

I have never ever heard anyone ever bring this point up ever...probably because the electoed officials are all upper class and the poor aren't well read into this shit.

View Quote

Single payer is not the answer.  You need to stick to fat women.

If you want to reduce poverty, quit subsiding having bastard kids.  Don't provide any taxpayer assistance.  Don't provide anything to women who get divorced with kids if they were not married at least five years before having the kid and 25 years old.  Even then have the parents take care of the woman and kids if the sperm donor is gone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Everyone wants to change the system so they don't have to pay.  It's fucking magic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roa] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheJMan1:
Everyone wants to change the system so they don't have to pay.  It's fucking magic.
View Quote

So true.   Just make it where the government pays and its free!

Honestly, the government started promoting poverty when it allowed the long term welfare system.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Get rid of tax free medical insurance, except for catastrophic situations (very expensive). Also get rid of medicare.

The fundamental problem with our system is that for routine care you have a third party payer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Health care is a perfect example of the government sticking more and more its finger in the pie, then saying, "See?  See?  Free markets don't work!"  ICD 10 is a perfect example of this - number of "diagnoses" went up by a factor of 5.

Single payer is a an even-worse clusterfuck of unimaginable proportions.  Why do you think all rich Brits and Canadians come here for health care?

And what kind of bullshit is Medicare?  Regardless of your financial status or health care plan, everyone at 65 must go on Medicare?  How's that working out for everyone?  

We need less regulation, not more, of our healthcare system.   But because of Medicare and Medicaid, I'm not sure the system can be "unfucked."
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

The fundamental problem is our third party payment system. Which means there's no price competition at point of service.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lomshek] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah it's Broken....But that happened in 08/09? ish.

I'm going to have oral surgery tomorrow and Paying 100% cash. I lost my medicaid between the last operation and this one and the price is actually cheaper in cash than what they billed the insurance company. I was under the impression that insurance was able to negotiate an better cost thats why it was a good deal. Nope... AND, I don't have to play all the games with letting them waist my time.

Im paying you, you do what I want or i'll find someone else to take my money. I said it to the DR today. Her face was worth it..... I hope this newfound liberation I have will change my interaction for future medical procedures......

I pay=You STFU and keep getting my money... You want to argue or lecture= GFY, I will find someone who wants to get payed.

I'm done playing
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this like the people who don't want to make more money because it will bump them up to the next tax bracket?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m old too.

Which cloud we yelling at?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Single Payer reduces it to the lowest common denominator in everything.  There is no carrot for innovation or change, only the whip for being sick outside the lines.  

"Well, Mr. Midcap, seems your diabetes is not responding to our standard treatment. I'm afraid your quality of life is not going to meet the minimum requirements.  Please have a seat in the blue room."
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:
Is this like the people who don't want to make more money because it will bump them up to the next tax bracket?
View Quote

No, benefits getting cut based on income is different than progressive taxation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]
How is single pay going to incentivize quality people to choose medicine as a career?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

There is a HUGE difference between....now you get to pay $1,200 a month and we will take an extra chunk of any money you earn over what you currently make
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

I’m old too.

Which cloud we yelling at?
View Quote

The one to the left......maybe the one above....
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Leftist ideology promotes poverty.  Look for Leftism.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

There is a HUGE difference between....now you get to pay $1,200 a month and we will take an extra chunk of any money you earn over what you currently make
View Quote

The notion of trying to make less money to retain government benefits is a foreign concept to me. Apologies.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't afford insurance or direct medical bills.
I have not and will not see a doctor for any reason.

Fuck them all, they are all thieves who fool people out of their money.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Booray:

No, benefits getting cut based on income is different than progressive taxation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Booray:

Here’s a situation. A person is retired, but well below the Medicare age. They get ACA insurance. Then they want to dip into their 401k to do home modifications. First, the withdrawals are taxed. Second, since it is now ‘income’ it takes you beyond the threshold for qualifying for ACA, and you have to pay back all the difference between ACA and a non-marketplace insurance policy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

If you want to reduce poverty, quit subsiding having bastard kids.  Don't provide any taxpayer assistance.  Don't provide anything to women who get divorced with kids if they were not married at least five years before having the kid and 25 years old.  Even then have the parents take care of the woman and kids if the sperm donor is gone.
View Quote

I read some really stupid crap in a Trump thread but this is the stupidest thing I have read today outside of that thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m tired of paying for other peoples medical care and if you are on Obamacare, I should get to go ahead of you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Good solid reply.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#25]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
I read some really stupid crap in a Trump thread but this is the stupidest thing I have read today outside of that thread.
View Quote

You apparently do not understand the real cause of poverty.  I gave a solution.  Choose to ignore it at your peril....which means tax burden and risk of criminal acts.

Most of the problem is traceable to LBJ's Great Society welfare programs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Health insurance is just another part of the progressive rate income tax apparatus.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#27]
S Korean style universal healthcare might work here. it's a copay/coinsurance system that everyone working and employers pay into. insurance companies negotiate prices as a group with providers and there are deductibles
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:56:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#28]
All systems suck....but ours is the best shitty system in the world.

It costs a lot to be the best.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Oh....and you are paying for a lot of other peoples lunches.  They are not free.....because you are paying for them.

The only way to bring down medical care costs (and make it mostly better) is to let the market sort it out.....which means that if you cant pay, you suffer and/or die and one of the biggest drivers of costs, the last few months/days of life....well, those people die a little sooner.

That aint going to happen.  I think we might let the poor die, but we will never let grandma die a few weeks early.

So shit will continue to be what it is....only worse.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

Oh....and you are paying for a lot of other peoples lunches.  They are not free.....because you are paying for them.

The only way to bring down medical care costs (and make it mostly better) is to let the market sort it out.....which means that if you cant pay, you suffer and/or die and one of the biggest drivers of costs, the last few months/days of life....well, those people die a little sooner.

That aint going to happen.  I think we might let the poor die, but we will never let grandma die a few weeks early.

View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:09:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#30]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

View Quote

Ours is not the vest. Not any more. The farther it has moved away from private pay, the worse it has gotten
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
How is single pay going to incentivize quality people to choose medicine as a career?
View Quote

Medical school debt repayment.

I would have gladly spent 300k to be an MD or  DO, if I was going to have all that discharged and made a livable wage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Good solid reply.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Good solid reply.

No it's a fucking stupid fucking answer as I am not talking about medicaid exclusively.  That basically fucking explains the mess we arin, there is no reason to make more money or have less kids as it curently stands...I offer a soloution and you all are too busy watching fox news to think indenpandatly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#33]

I would have gladly spent 300k to be an MD or  DO, if I was going to have all that discharged and made a livable wage.
View All Quotes

Enticing people with money is great, but we want smart people whose primary motivation is to care for patients.  I agree, though, with med school debt forgiveness after "X" number of years in practice in an underserved area, or 1 for 1 income tax credits over a period of time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#34]
Just checking in to say I pay $15,000 a year for United healthcare premiums and the “best” insurance they offer us (small business) has an OOP deductible of $7500 per person, $15k per family.

Just took care of that today with a single (and only) visit to the hospital for my kid.

$22,500 spent out of pocket (so far for this year) but insurance paid $1,239 of his visit today!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#36]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Single Payer reduces it to the lowest common denominator in everything.  There is no carrot for innovation or change, only the whip for being sick outside the lines.  

"Well, Mr. Midcap, seems your diabetes is not responding to our standard treatment. I'm afraid your quality of life is not going to meet the minimum requirements.  Please have a seat in the blue room."
View Quote

I want a crystal ball just so I can see Midcap’s GD thread when the future US single payer healthcare system tells him that he needs to do home peritoneal dialysis for his diabetes induced kidney failure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Whatever is subsidized you get more of it.    Let's expand and cover dental. Mental health, sex change, cosmetic surgery etc.  There is never a consideration of covering actual costs of actual necessities.  It's a trap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#38]
My buddy’s wife had knee surgery recently. The bill for day of surgery was $100K. That doesn’t include meds or rehab after the fact. How in the fuck is the average person with no health insurance supposed to afford that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:14:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#39]

The notion of trying to make less money to retain government benefits is a foreign concept to me. Apologies.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

It’s not to me.  Ironically, I first encountered it in person when a hospital I worked at attempted to raise everyone’s hourly wages a few bucks to retain workers.  HR started getting pissed off calls from the janitorial and housekeeping staff about losing their benes.  Oops.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#40]

OP decries the welfare state and proposes : MORE welfare state.

Communism.  

Communism for EVERYONE.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Action45:
My buddy’s wife had knee surgery recently. The bill for day of surgery was $100K. That doesn’t include meds or rehab after the fact. How in the fuck is the average person with no health insurance supposed to afford that?
View Quote

did they call ahead to get pricing ?  shop around ?

i'll turn it around :  if they have no insurance -- why should I have to pay for her knee surgery ??
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Enticing people with money is great, but we want smart people whose primary motivation is to care for patients.  I agree, though, with med school debt forgiveness after "X" number of years in practice in an underserved area, or 1 for 1 income tax credits over a period of time.
View All Quotes

Of course...and you will get a shit ton of more people who are compasionate and caring if you make the barrier to entry attainable.

For example, I know for a fact two people who both grew up lower middle class, but from good famlies. They both took the MCAT and made more than good enough grades to get into medical school, this was after they both had full rides to state university. Do you know the one reason why they didn't persue being a MD? The astronomical costs of attending med school, they just could not wrap their head around the insane amount of money that they would have to borrow to go. They are also very risk adverse people, who would also make great docs. You don't want a fucking gambler to be your doc unless it's some experiemental shit.

so that's why they didn't go into it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

+1
View All Quotes

+1

who the hell said that? and where did I say that.

I said nothing of the sort and specifincally mentioned payroll deduction like FICA
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#44]

I want a crystal ball just so I can see Midcap’s GD thread when the future US single payer healthcare system tells him that he needs to do home peritoneal dialysis for his diabetes induced kidney failure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:

the system we have now is getting me there quyickly
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

Communism.  

Communism for EVERYONE.

View Quote

what are you ever going on about?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#46]

i'll turn it around :  if they have no insurance -- why should I have to pay for her knee surgery ??
View All Quotes

@MFP_4073 you didn’t, they have health insurance
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

maybe he is in the same risk pool as them
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#48]
welcome to 2008 glad you're caught up. this was the entire argument made against obamacare. don't worry friend. obamacare was written to make it so bad we all collapsed into a single payer system. plenty of sound bites from the guy who helped craft it all about it. your best bet is to get as healthy as you can on your own and get rid of the docs. wait until you figure out how dei is digging itself into the medical industry.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Communism.  

Communism for EVERYONE.

You started a thread advocating for the government to take from each according to their ability and give to each according to their need.  You don’t see a parallel?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
And what kind of bullshit is Medicare?  Regardless of your financial status or health care plan, everyone at 65 must go on Medicare?  How's that working out for everyone?  

We need less regulation, not more, of our healthcare system.   But because of Medicare and Medicaid, I'm not sure the system can be "unfucked."
View Quote

It has been great for me.  Are you on it?  If not, maybe stop the Medicare rants until you are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top