Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2023 1:17:31 AM EDT
Buried Alive: the Nutty Putty Cave Incident

I know this has been discussed but I don’t recall seeing this video posted.  

I went to these caves a few times almost 30 years ago.  I never did anything stupid like try to cram myself into small spaces.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't get it. It almost veers into undiagnosed sexual fetish territory for me. They could choose to do anything in the world with their free time and disposable income, and they choose to wedge themselves into a crevice deep underground. Their hobby is a coal miners nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nuqpAULpE

I know this has been discussed but I don’t recall seeing this video posted.  

I went to these caves a few times almost 30 years ago.  I never did anything stupid like try to cram myself into small spaces.
View Quote

No game…it was real!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No game…it was real!
View Quote

Ha thx.  At first I was like what?  

Title edited.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
As I recall, the owner of the land has since filled the cave with cement with him still in there(family's blessing) so as to keep others from the same fate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Nightmare fuel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Pass...  No way I'm entering that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#7]
That's right up there with dickhole insertion play on my nope list.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't get it. It almost veers into undiagnosed sexual fetish territory for me. They could choose to do anything in the world with their free time and disposable income, and they choose to wedge themselves into a crevice deep underground. Their hobby is a coal miners nightmare.
View Quote

It's the chance to go places and see things that very few people will ever go, and the opportunity to see things that no one has ever seen before.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't mind going with a guide in somewhere that has been mapped out.

Going into some uncharted shit head first, downhill,  by myself?  No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I had trouble breathing from just watching that video.  Hard to believe I  actually did some spelunking in my teens.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I started to freak out and had to go outside and stand in the open. Holy shit that's a horrible way to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck everything about that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Terrible way to die and he left behind a young family. But it’s hard to have sympathy for stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#14]
This is my number one worst way to die. I don’t get anxiety over much, but this did it for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I don’t even want to be buried AFTER I’m dead, so that’s a big nope for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a friend who does cave scuba diving and was a diver in the Corp.  I would much rather jump out of a perfectly good airplane then find myself entombed underground or buried alive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I had to quit watching, that kind of hobby is a big hell no from me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a huge nope from me. I've done too much foolishness in my early life to realize how fortunate I am to still be here. Not going to take those kind of chances again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I started to freak out and had to go outside and stand in the open. Holy shit that's a horrible way to go.
View Quote

Can you imagine how he felt when they got him part way out..and then he fell back in again?!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I would ask that some device be sent to me to painlessly end it all.  Being in the Oceangate situation is much preferable to this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I would've given them permission to break my legs to pieces if it meant getting out of that place. Fortunately for me my head is so big from having such a huge brain that I would never be able to squeeze head first through a space as tight as that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#22]
There's parts of that video that I refuse to visually watch.  I've never been claustrophobic, but tight caving like that literally triggers me, like I can't for the life of me understand why someone would shimmy themselves through 9" passages that may not go anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Can't watch ,  claustrophobic in my old age .
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Nvmnd
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#25]
This shit is pure fucking nightmare fuel. I went spelunking in JROTC in high school and I didn't like it even when things got a *little* tight and we were crawling around with our helmets. I didn't see anything enjoyable or fun. I have no idea why people would think this was a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Ted the Caver

It's a long read but worth it.
I read the story in the OP once. That was enough. Even just reading it my anxiety level goes off the charts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can't watch ,  claustrophobic in my old age .
View Quote

Claustrophobic and can't stand for my arms to be pinned at my side. Both of those came on as I got older.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would've given them permission to break my legs to pieces if it meant getting out of that place. Fortunately for me my head is so big from having such a huge brain that I would never be able to squeeze head first through a space as tight as that.
View Quote

I read extensively on this story. I think multiple sources determined that the easiest (maybe only) way to get him out would have been breaking his legs, but that he would not have survived that anyway.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#29]
This story always bothers me greatly.

I DO feel I have acknowledge the guys who went in after him. Successful or not, they had the balls to try to pull it off. It has to be hell for them that they couldn't save him.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I can't even look at illustrious of it.

I'd rather just about anything than this. Pure nightmare fuel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I am quite sure I had a panic attack when having an MRI done.

I am totally freaked out about ever having another done and am pretty sure I would need to be sedated.

This video, I simply cannot watch
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don’t even want to be buried AFTER I’m dead, so that’s a big nope for me.
View Quote

I only want to be buried as a "FU" to any ordnance that says you can't do that.  On my land.

Otherwise I wish to be fired out of a cannon, probably at the home or office of whatever awful D the idiots in my state have elected as governor.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#33]
when i was in jr high and high school we did a lot of spelunking.
i was the thinnest in the group and always went into the unknown.
i had zero sense of mortality back then i.e. dumbass teenager.
I'm hoping  being upside down he passed out before dying.
i think the trauma of breaking his legs would have done him in as well.
just send a tube in and start pumping nitrogen in next to my head.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's the chance to go places and see things that very few people will ever go, and the opportunity to see things that no one has ever seen before.
View Quote

This is why we have remote controlled vehicles with cameras. Don't have to worry about notifying next of kin if we lose one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not claustrophobic at all. When I was in my 20s and rail thin, I was the guy that would get lowered into draft fan housings to weld holes. There wasn't enough room to roll over and I was dropped in and pulled out by my ankles. That being said, I have no desire to crawl in caves like that. Risk/Reward doesn't add up for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would ask that some device be sent to me to painlessly end it all.  Being in the Oceangate situation is much preferable to this.
View Quote

ocean gate you are dead before you know it...
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#37]
There are numerous caves in Northern middle Tennessee. A few of us used to go exploring in them as teens.  We used to find Indian artifacts in some of the caves.
One cave in the Leonard community in Macon Co had a drop off that went straight down. We once brought in a 250' rope to possibly climb down into the verticle section. Before we did that, we tied a maglight to the end of the rope and started lowering it in. We never could see the bottom.
We dropped a rock in and listened. We finally heard a splash.
The guy that owned the land ended up sealing off the entrance years ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#38]
alternate versions of this.. the guy that they found behind the walk in freezer at the local 7-11.  apparently had climbed up to the top scooted over and fell down behind the freezer and got wedged between it and the wall.

then there are the cases of folks who for some unknown reason decide to try to go down a chimney in an abandoned house and they find the skeleton years later...

loosing your orientation and sense of  direction cave diving is also pretty bad.

and finally the guys who wander out on the mud flats in alaska or where ever and sink up to their chest and wait for the tide to come in whilst their friends watch....
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm trying to come up with a reason compelling enough to get me to try that. My imagination isn't good enough.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shit man, sooner or later everyone finds out what happens when you die. Why rush things
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't really disagree.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#43]
No fuckin way that I will ever be exposed to that kind of death.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's right up there with dickhole insertion play on my nope list.
View Quote

I am a 50 year old perverted degenerate and I had to read what you wrote about 5 times before I got it….what the fuck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
alternate versions of this.. the guy that they found behind the walk in freezer at the local 7-11.  apparently had climbed up to the top scooted over and fell down behind the freezer and got wedged between it and the wall.

View Quote

Never heard of that one. Pretty crazy
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Body of a Man Missing for 10 Years Found Behind Refrigerator at the Supermarket Where He Worked
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

then there are the cases of folks who for some unknown reason decide to try to go down a chimney in an abandoned house and they find the skeleton years later...

loosing your orientation and sense of  direction cave diving is also pretty bad.

and finally the guys who wander out on the mud flats in alaska or where ever and sink up to their chest and wait for the tide to come in whilst their friends watch....
View Quote

There was a kid that went missing in a nearby town. It was a big deal for a week or so. It's a big tourist destination and many houses are unoccupied during the winter, including one down the street from where the kid lived. They got keys from the owners and searched all of these unoccupied homes, turning up nothing. As the leads ran out and he still hadn't been seen or located, police started re-searching the summer homes and other buildings.

During one of these searches, an officer noticed a plug from the chimney on the floor, along with a coat. A further search found the missing kid in the chimney. He apparently wanted to get in the house to skip school and looked down the chimney, which seemed to open into an open fireplace, but it was really a flue. They reasoned he squeezed down the chimney until he could go no further down and then shoved the coat out through the old stove hole to get it out of his way.

The chimney was barely bigger than he was and he would have had to go down with his arms over his head. They said he likely died within hours from positional asphyxia.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I went through Nutty Putty back in 1991 when I was at BYU.  Some parts were frighteningly tight.  I’ll never go into another place like that again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I wonder what the dead guys thoughts would have been if a week before someone told him "you're going to die a death so horrible that the thought of it is going to freak people out for decades".
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I wonder what it is in the human psyche that makes us so afraid of tight spaces. Heights, snakes, spiders I can understand. When in our evolution were we exposed to tight spaces? Did we live in caves that much?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top