Quoted:
OP promised crayon and all I saw was dumb words
View Quote

I have the sads now too
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m a millennial, but computer programming makes me feel like a boomer trying to figure out a smartphone...
View Quote

This.

I wired an entire church network with 10 unifi APs and still have no idea what a DNS server is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry the crayons did not work out,now I am scrubbing my computer screen trying to get them off. I had to use the keyboard.

And bump so others can see.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry the crayons did not work out,now I am scrubbing my computer screen trying to get them off. I had to use the keyboard.

And bump so others can see.
View Quote

It makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Boomer here....

waiting for grid coordinates..........
View Quote

8 or 10?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You probably stayed logged in, so no problem occurred.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what do we do on mobiles? If it happens again? I didn't notice anything different and am literally on here every hour at least if not at work.

You probably stayed logged in, so no problem occurred.
I was logged in, and everything was fine, until I clicked a link and nothing would open anymore. It seems different carriers didn't get the updated DNS stuff all at the same time. Users on AT&T were reporting that all was well on their end, while it wouldn't resolve for me on TMobile. (Not an expert, this is my lay understanding, though I did drive by a Holiday Inn Express earlier today)

What I did was download a DNS changer app and change my devices DNS to OpenDNS. I don't know if this will work next time we have an issue.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It appears this isn't the best time to buy a membership and become respectable
View Quote

You should if you want the site to stick around.  Big tech has big pockets.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was logged in, and everything was fine, until I clicked a link and nothing would open anymore. It seems different carriers didn't get the updated DNS stuff all at the same time. Users on AT&T were reporting that all was well on their end, while it wouldn't resolve for me on TMobile. (Not an expert, this is my lay understanding, though I did drive by a Holiday Inn Express earlier today)

What I did was download a DNS changer app and change my devices DNS to OpenDNS. I don't know if this will work next time we have an issue.
View Quote

There is some latency built into DNS, it can take a couple of hours for changes to propagate throughout the system.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
3.138.255.236 is arfcoms ip, what does that mean?

Imagine a big road map, arfcom is located at the 3rd left turn, then the 138th right turn, then the 255th left turn, then the 236th right turn. Sense you cant always remember this arfcom pays a company/dns service to put a sign at every turn you need to make. Basically you just drive down the road until you see the sign that says turn here, you keep doing this until you get here. The sign company was/is godaddy.

Godaddy decided to take all the signs down, arfcom was still here but you did not know how to get here, because you did not know where to turn.
View Quote
That's how routing works.

DNS is a phonebook.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"root domains" - these are your .com, .gov, .info, .biz, etc... domains.
View Quote

The examples you gave are TLDs Top Level Domains. The root is the implied . at the end of a domain name.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Sense...lol
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Imagine a big road map, arfcom is located at the 3rd left turn, then the 138th right turn, then the 255th left turn, then the 236th right turn. Sense you cant always remember this arfcom pays a company/dns service to put a sign at every turn you need to make. Basically you just drive down the road until you see the sign that says turn here, you keep doing this until you get here. The sign company was/is godaddy.

Godaddy decided to take all the signs down, arfcom was still here but you did not know how to get here, because you did not know where to turn.
View Quote

Can I take a Uber taxi?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

True, in trying not to get TOO technical, I let some inaccuracy in.  As noted, I'm not primarily a DNS guy, haven't had to dive into the guts in over a decade, if not two :-)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"root domains" - these are your .com, .gov, .info, .biz, etc... domains.

The examples you gave are TLDs Top Level Domains. The root is the implied . at the end of a domain name.

True, in trying not to get TOO technical, I let some inaccuracy in.  As noted, I'm not primarily a DNS guy, haven't had to dive into the guts in over a decade, if not two :-)

I like to ask DNS questions when I interview somebody. Shows just how deep their knowledge is.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

DNS is a phonebook.
View Quote

Yes I know that, I was trying to explain it in crayon eating terms. I might have gone all the way to paste eating thou. My example was the signs being compared to the dns, ie pointing the way. I guess the first sign would be the dns, the rest routing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was promised crayons. No crayons. Troll..

View Quote

I came for crayons.
No crayons...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#19]
How do I stop getting "AR15-backup.com is not safe, trying to steal your information... BACK TO SAFETY"?
is there a browser setting I need to change?  Different browser?
On android...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:11:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for explaining this. I don't know how this shit works. Just spent a couple hours trying to figure how to install and get my VPN to work
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I get it now
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#23]
What flavor of crayon?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a bookmark that I click then I magically see GD.

It's pretty fucking sweet.   Try it out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:01:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what do we do on mobiles? If it happens again? I didn’t notice anything different and am literally on here every hour at least if not at work.
View Quote

my phone wont connect at all to the back up site or original, I have an android.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes I know that, I was trying to explain it in crayon eating terms. I might have gone all the way to paste eating thou. My example was the signs being compared to the dns, ie pointing the way. I guess the first sign would be the dns, the rest routing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DNS is a phonebook.

Should have simply used a picture.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Have you completely missed where GoDaddy explicitly informed Goatboy/AR15.com that they had suspended the account, effective immediately, claiming the site hosted illegal activity?  Or that the reason things are working now is that Goatboy moved the domain registration to another provider, in addition to setting up a new domain name?  Your speculation about misconfiguration does not match the known facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its is another set of signs taking you to the same place. But put up by another company "epix" iirc. Godaddy, to a point, owns the right to the signs so goatboy had another company put up signs
GoDaddy 'owns' the IP address for the ar15.com domain (possibly the whole class A namespace for the 3.x.x.x network - or a supernet within that namespace), but they don't control DNS or how those IP addresses get cached in multiple locations. I don't use google as my primary DNS. You can change it to whatever you want it to be. In my case, I do my own DNS resolution via pihole, which uses OpenDNS, Quad9, Level3 and others as the upstream DNS.

Can there be a coordinated effort to block a domain from access? Sure. GoDaddy could certainly decide to renege on the domain registration, and update their DNS zone files. Barring a failure of ar15.com to comply with Terms of Service could allow that action to happen.

Much more likely is that google's DNS zone file update had a problem and a zone file got nuked.

I've added google back into my upstream, let's see what happens.

m

Have you completely missed where GoDaddy explicitly informed Goatboy/AR15.com that they had suspended the account, effective immediately, claiming the site hosted illegal activity?  Or that the reason things are working now is that Goatboy moved the domain registration to another provider, in addition to setting up a new domain name?  Your speculation about misconfiguration does not match the known facts.

Yep. I didn't see that until later. What can I say, there were a number of threads on this subject, and once I removed google's DNS, arfcom started to resolve normally for me. For me a least, the outage was a blip.

Also, see the bit where I said godaddy could renege on the domain registration?

m
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
How DNS Works - Computerphile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top