Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2021 1:02:56 AM EDT

You don't really get into a lot of cool stuff being a railroader, but today was different. This was our head out locomotive. Felt good doing my job while honoring those who did theirs and gave the ultimate sacrifice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Cooler than construction.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok that's pretty badass
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome, and unexpected from a corporation today.
Thumbs up for greatness!

That's a picture worth hanging on a wall.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Should be marpat, though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#10]
ARFCOM group buy?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ARFCOM group buy?  
View Quote

The engine? Hell yeah :)

Err, framed pictures, I'm still in.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:52:14 AM EDT
[#12]
That’s pretty awesome. I’m working OT at the moment. Only thing I’ve seen so far are a few trees near the lines, and 2 imperfect signals…
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Way cooler than me!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait until it goes through some woke neighborhood and has 1776 painted out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Very cool
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's awesome, and unexpected from a corporation today.
Thumbs up for greatness!

That's a picture worth hanging on a wall.
View Quote

The railroads, at least UP, have been very supportive of NG soldiers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Even though the weather was crappy yesterday, saw a lot of people out taking pictures of us. Local railfan sent me these.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
That’s really cool.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The railroads, at least UP, have been very supportive of NG soldiers.  
View Quote

THIS

I still think this is the coolest locomotive ever.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/jdcNLXd.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/JgmKvL9.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/xKrBvjX.jpeg

Even though the weather was crappy yesterday, saw a lot of people out taking pictures of us. Local railfan sent me these.
View Quote

Is that by Raystown Lake?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#24]
A quick question; What are the hoses on the cowcatcher for? They look spaced for the rails, is that to just blow debris / snow (pennies and shit..) off of the tracks? It can't be hydraulics, can it?

Thanks, maybe I answered my own question?

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Very cool, OP.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

THIS

I still think this is the coolest locomotive ever.
https://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/4/8/3/3483.1130634000.jpg
View Quote

That is freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A quick question; What are the hoses on the cowcatcher for? They look spaced for the rails, is that to just blow debris / snow (pennies and shit..) off of the tracks? It can't be hydraulics, can it?

View Quote

Air, between the locomotives.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#28]
This cool!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#30]
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Neat. I tried to get into railroad work years ago. I made it a few steps into the process, but didn't make the final cut. They were up front with us and said that all the open slots had gone to folks with relatives already working there, and to try again another time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Way way cool

I was 16 during the bicentennial. I did see one of the 1776 locomotives roll thru town that year. I was very cool
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Copy. That actually made sense.

As a kid a loco was never not out in front.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#34]
In less than 1700 more posts we should see it again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In less than 1700 more posts we should see it again.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think I have ever seen 7 locos on the front of a train, but I do live in the midwest.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#38]

that's one cool locomotive
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

@Chukar

No, it's in and near Keyser, WV. Main line goes by Savage River Reservoir, then a few miles from Deep Creek Lake.

Quoted:

@JoseCuervo

As mentioned above, it's all the different brake systems on the train. The 3 small lines on the outside control locomotive brakes, the one below the knuckle is what we call the "big air". It's your train line. It pushes then holds 90 pounds per square inch of pressure through the whole train, or tries to.

Quoted:

I don't think I have ever seen 7 locos on the front of a train, but I do live in the midwest.

@not_sure

We run some heavy and long trains here in coal country. Each coal train usually takes 5 to 6 locomotives, 2 or 3 on the front, and either 2 on the rear, or 3 mid-train, to distribute the weight. We shuffle them back and forth between yards so they can bring one train, then they usually get taken back and bring another train, or they go on to other yards.

Quoted:
Neat. I tried to get into railroad work years ago. I made it a few steps into the process, but didn't make the final cut. They were up front with us and said that all the open slots had gone to folks with relatives already working there, and to try again another time.

@KingRat

It used to be like that. You had to know someone or be family. Now, they hire anyone they can get in because we are so short. The pay is fantastic, the retirement is hard to beat. But your life at home suffers. You spend most of it living in hotels, phone's ringing to go to work at 1, 2, or 3AM after you finally got to sleep. Your spouse or significant other leaves you because they get tired of sleeping alone or you missing everything because you're at work, or next to get called to work on the board. It's rough. Not getting hired was probably the best thing to happen to you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#41]
OP is a pretty cool guy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Very cool, thanks for sharing.  

A few years ago the Canadian Pacific also honored the military with a few locomotives painted up, and they looked very sharp:

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many of those did they allow you to have in 'Run?'
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Very awesome OP.  Thanks for sharing it!

That locomotive is a designated lead unit for sure!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Neat!  So that was SW PA?  I wonder if they will make it out my way (or already did).  I'm in central PA, so near Tyrone and Altoona and whatnot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#47]
That's neat.

A few months ago I was speaking with a fellow working on the tracks.  I learned that the steel mill in Pueblo still makes tracks for the RR and that the smooth ride thanks to the gaps being welded together is done through thermite as opposed to somebody squatting/kneeling there with a welder's mask on welding the joint up.  Also learned that steel tracks from Japan are not as good (too soft and wears out faster) than the Pueblo stuff.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Very cool OP.

Every little bit of recognition for our service to our country is appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@Chukar

No, it's in and near Keyser, WV. Main line goes by Savage River Reservoir, then a few miles from Deep Creek Lake.

@JoseCuervo

As mentioned above, it's all the different brake systems on the train. The 3 small lines on the outside control locomotive brakes, the one below the knuckle is what we call the "big air". It's your train line. It pushes then holds 90 pounds per square inch of pressure through the whole train, or tries to.

@not_sure

We run some heavy and long trains here in coal country. Each coal train usually takes 5 to 6 locomotives, 2 or 3 on the front, and either 2 on the rear, or 3 mid-train, to distribute the weight. We shuffle them back and forth between yards so they can bring one train, then they usually get taken back and bring another train, or they go on to other yards.

@KingRat

It used to be like that. You had to know someone or be family. Now, they hire anyone they can get in because we are so short. The pay is fantastic, the retirement is hard to beat. But your life at home suffers. You spend most of it living in hotels, phone's ringing to go to work at 1, 2, or 3AM after you finally got to sleep. Your spouse or significant other leaves you because they get tired of sleeping alone or you missing everything because you're at work, or next to get called to work on the board. It's rough. Not getting hired was probably the best thing to happen to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Chukar

Quoted:

@JoseCuervo

Quoted:

@not_sure

Quoted:

@KingRat

That particular series of motors do have a nozzle under the frame just ahead of the leading wheels called a "rail cleaner."  It does as you said, blowing air on the rails to clear snow, moisture, or any debris that may cause a wheel slip.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That particular series of motors do have a nozzle under the frame just ahead of the leading wheels called a "rail cleaner."  It does as you said, blowing air on the rails to clear snow, moisture, or any debris that may cause a wheel slip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@brakeman123

That is correct, they do have the rail cleaners. But, sometimes they are detrimental when you're trying to sand a rail. Especially after you stall on a grade. It can and will blow all the sand off the track when you attempt a restart if you shove back and start again. Had it happen a few weeks ago. 100 loaded coal cars stalled on a 2.5% grade is no fun. The worst is leaves in the fall. Snow and rain really aren't too big of a deal. But leaves are like David's slingshot to Goliath's head for trains on a grade. Rain makes it slick, but, the tractive effort software compensates for it, plus we run a lot of locomotives that are heavy ballasted for increased traction. 432,000 pounds versus 412,000. Plus steerable trucks help a ton too.

Quoted:

How many of those did they allow you to have in 'Run?'

@M82Assault

Out of all of that, you're only allowed a maximum of 3. Trip Optimizer software will cut them in and out as you go to save fuel. So, you don't even have to technically have them in "Run" in the cab. You can leave them in isolate, then you can cut them in on Positive Train Control on the head end and then T.O. will isolate them on its own or put them in Run. It's like autopilot for trains. The engineer just sits there and monitors it and takes over when it gets below a certain speed or acts up.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top