BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked with a guy who was a retired E7. He was GED level.

I was kinda shocked at the time, thought he would have had his shit together to get that far. He was in the air wing, I don't know if that makes it better or worse.
View Quote
And I worked with a guy who had a HS diploma and a Post-Doc level of IT knowledge and skill. At he same time, I've worked with actual PhDs who are absolute tools but think they know everything about everything.  Degrees don't really guarantee skill or intelligence.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They don't need a BS.

An AA or AS would go a long ways, but how about putting down the crayons and just giving a cert for reading, writing and counting beyond 10 13 with your boots on?
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that most officers were college grads even back then.  Then again, that was in an era with five (!) Marine Divisions and a sixth being formed up when the war ended.  I can only imagine the pressure to find eligible candidates combat replacements that could lead.
View Quote
Most were, many, many were not.  As the war progressed, even the Academies graduated and commissioned their classes after 2 years but without a full BS degree.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
All while cutting another 25,000 enlisted Marines (soon) and no end in sight to operational tempo.  Sure right.  Let's not forget the time and access that different MOSs have to higher education.  Some work a normal 40-50 hour week and others are 60-70 plus without being deployed.  I think it's a little more of "look what I did for the Corps" legacy BS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Push, encouraging? Hell yeah. Making mandatory for all? Punishing for failure to do the encouragement? That's where my bone comes in.

Point in case. I had a troop. TSgt. Dude didn't want MSgt. He sure as shit didn't need to be a MSgt (think crusty, old, hostile, toxic) and he only had like 3 or 4 years left to 20 (of which his oft-stated goal was 20 and GTFO)

Topic of Crs14 comes up. Leadership pushes and pushes and continues to push. Eventually called into the Chiefs office about it and through the conversation it becomes apparent that they're floating paperwork/NJP to make him do it. I look at them
. He doesn't do it, he is ineligible for promotion. It's as simple as that. And you know what? That's ok!

One overwhelming frustration with leadership in the AF was the insistent push towards using what are meant to be discretionary tools towards promotion and making them quasi-mandatory. Promotion requires xxx steps. Member should be encouraged to meets those steps, 100%. Forced or ordered to? Fuck no. Just ensure the member is aware that this is it. This is as far in rank as you will make. Some are ok with that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet...by the time they reached E-7 well over 80% hadn't even bothered to do that (circa 2012). I know that for a fact, because an un-Godly number of them ended up in my office, some in literal tears, wailing and moaning because they weren't going to get senior rater endorsement.

Coming out of the USAF a large percentage of enlisted population have an employable skill that converts directly to well-paid employment. Not a huge demand for infantry and artillery in the civilian sector, and by-and-large they have a shorter average non-retirement eligible time frame in the service. You'd think the USA and USMC enlisted would be pounding on senior leadership's desk, demanding more access to educational services, including vocational tech schools. I think those services would be doing their people a disservice if they weren't pushing them toward those opportunities.
Push, encouraging? Hell yeah. Making mandatory for all? Punishing for failure to do the encouragement? That's where my bone comes in.

Point in case. I had a troop. TSgt. Dude didn't want MSgt. He sure as shit didn't need to be a MSgt (think crusty, old, hostile, toxic) and he only had like 3 or 4 years left to 20 (of which his oft-stated goal was 20 and GTFO)

Topic of Crs14 comes up. Leadership pushes and pushes and continues to push. Eventually called into the Chiefs office about it and through the conversation it becomes apparent that they're floating paperwork/NJP to make him do it. I look at them
. He doesn't do it, he is ineligible for promotion. It's as simple as that. And you know what? That's ok!

One overwhelming frustration with leadership in the AF was the insistent push towards using what are meant to be discretionary tools towards promotion and making them quasi-mandatory. Promotion requires xxx steps. Member should be encouraged to meets those steps, 100%. Forced or ordered to? Fuck no. Just ensure the member is aware that this is it. This is as far in rank as you will make. Some are ok with that
Thank god I’m in the Guard.  I don’t think I could handle the AD environment in the Air Force.  The little bits of TDY training I’ve had to do have been eye opening.  E-7/E-8 Shirts (1st Sgts) running out of control on a complete power trip.  Getting “Chiefed” walking out of the BX because my OCPs aren’t bloused... “It’s a two piece flight suit Chief.  We don’t blouse them.”  Then seeing the sneer of disdain for being aircrew.

It’s been made clear to me that if I want an existence in the Guard beyond 20 years (and I do), I need to get my CCAF done and do at minimum my SNCOA PME.  Don’t get me wrong, I want to promote at some point. I just don’t want the path to get there shoved down my throat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It actually works out very well, and has nothing to do with being on a staff.

There's a specific institutional distinction between Sgt (NCO) and SSgt (SNCO) on up in the USMC, and it's officially recognized for a reason:  It's not just a mere pay raise to pin on that rocker, and much more is expected out of you than the junior NCOs all across the service.  A Marine's relationship with officers and senior SNCOs as a newly promoted SNCO completely changes for the better once he makes that milestone in his career.

From what I've seen in the Army, a SSG is recognized as a better paid SGT, but not much more.  In fact, Army Regulation (AR 670-1?) makes no distinction in addressing an E-5 to E-8 unless that E-8 is a 1SG.  In other words, everyone is a "Sergeant" until you're in a 1SG billet (which isn't permanent).  Weird to me, anyway.
View Quote
Yeah, never understood that with the Army. I would even say that their NCO/SNCO corps is heavily watered down compared to the culture in the USMC. Pay grades are just pay grades, emphasis on rank/responsibility/role is diluted amongst NCO/SNCO.

There are parallels in structure down low though. Army E4 Mafia with Sham Shields can be equatable to the Lance Corporal Underground in drug deals, belligerence and gaffing off. It's like the Army made a path for salty Lance Corporals who just wanted to do things and not be responsible for anything an official rank with a bump in pay.

I mean it makes sense, why not have a path for people who are not leaders but good at what they do and want to stick around instead of being forced out?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank god I’m in the Guard.  I don’t think I could handle the AD environment in the Air Force.  The little bits of TDY training I’ve had to do have been eye opening.  E-7/E-8 Shirts (1st Sgts) running out of control on a complete power trip.  Getting “Chiefed” walking out of the BX because my OCPs aren’t bloused... “It’s a two piece flight suit Chief.  We don’t blouse them.”  Then seeing the sneer of disdain for being aircrew.

It’s been made clear to me that if I want an existence in the Guard beyond 20 years (and I do), I need to get my CCAF done and do at minimum my SNCOA PME.  Don’t get me wrong, I want to promote at some point. I just don’t want the path to get there shoved down my throat.
View Quote
I wonder where that push is coming from.  I just tell my troops to be promotable if they want to be promoted.  If they aren't ready and stripe shows up it's going to be the guy that's eligible that gets the promotion.  If they are okay being passed by someone less qualified than them that's their choice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Man I remember in the early 80's the Corps sent folks to class to get their GED. We had several folks that still signed their paperwork with an X. Those were the days before direct deposit too. You had to go to disbursing and get you check or cash.

If this shit happens, Crayola is going to go out of business.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Never been in the military, but I always thought hard work and discipline was the path to promotions in the Marines (maybe butt kissing too, but mostly hard work).
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe the USAF is already doing with the CCAF Degree to be promoted to E-7 and higher.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You described half the SNCO's I worked for.  Fucking retards.  I never saw more lips move while reading to themselves than I did when I was active.  Try standing there with a college degree listening to some stublefuck E6 with a GED correcting you on incident report when he can barely put a sentence together much less get his boots on the right feet.  In the Guard it's a hair better with mild retardation present in some SNCO's.

If you want professional and educated members, start weeding out the retards before they make rank.  I sure loved working for inbreds and hood rats that had room temperature IQ's.  They couldn't lead people to a shit house, but they made rank because they were considered loyal, could run fast, kiss ass and looked good on paper.
View Quote
I used to see that shit all the time. I worked for an E-6 that not write a coherent sentence. He made rank by time in service alone, before CJRs and Time in Grade high year tenure. And dumb as a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
most people that join the Marines don’t do it for college. I was one of them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank god I'm in the Guard.  I don't think I could handle the AD environment in the Air Force.  The little bits of TDY training I've had to do have been eye opening.  E-7/E-8 Shirts (1st Sgts) running out of control on a complete power trip.  Getting "Chiefed" walking out of the BX because my OCPs aren't bloused... "It's a two piece flight suit Chief.  We don't blouse them."  Then seeing the sneer of disdain for being aircrew.

It's been made clear to me that if I want an existence in the Guard beyond 20 years (and I do), I need to get my CCAF done and do at minimum my SNCOA PME.  Don't get me wrong, I want to promote at some point. I just don't want the path to get there shoved down my throat.
View Quote
Pretty fucking easy to do. A caveman can do it.

CLEP and Dantes are your friend.

And PME Correspondence School.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There's a specific institutional distinction between Sgt (NCO) and SSgt (SNCO) on up in the USMC, and it's officially recognized for a reason:  It's not just a mere pay raise to pin on that rocker, and much more is expected out of you than the junior NCOs all across the service.  A Marine's relationship with officers and senior SNCOs as a newly promoted SNCO completely changes for the better once he makes that milestone in his career.

From what I've seen in the Army, a SSG is recognized as a better paid SGT, but not much more.  In fact, Army Regulation (AR 670-1?) makes no distinction in addressing an E-5 to E-8 unless that E-8 is a 1SG.  In other words, everyone is a "Sergeant" until you're in a 1SG billet (which isn't permanent).  Weird to me, anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. SNCO in the Corps is Staff NCO not Senior. And a Staff Sgt is a Staff Sgt and a Gunny is a Gunny. When a Gunny is selected for E8 they have a decision to make. Stay in their field and become a Master Sgt or go First Sgt and assume an administrative role.
Well, that's pretty dumb.  I am an E-7 in the Army and I have literally never spent 30 minutes in a "staff" position.

That’s quite a leap to suggest that because the proper form of address for the ranks Sergeant (E-5) through Master Sergeant (E-8) are all simply “Sergeant,” that the there is no real distinction made between those ranks.

All officers are addressed as “sir,” so does that mean a Colonel is just a better paid Second Lieutenant? If you think that’s absurd, well, there you have it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You described half the SNCO's I worked for.  Fucking retards.  I never saw more lips move while reading to themselves than I did when I was active.  Try standing there with a college degree listening to some stublefuck E6 with a GED correcting you on incident report when he can barely put a sentence together much less get his boots on the right feet.  In the Guard it's a hair better with mild retardation present in some SNCO's.

If you want professional and educated members, start weeding out the retards before they make rank.  I sure loved working for inbreds and hood rats that had room temperature IQ's.  They couldn't lead people to a shit house, but they made rank because they were considered loyal, could run fast, kiss ass and looked good on paper.
View Quote
Well done and best post of the thread so far....Much of this defines arfcom armchair commanders.

Back years ago before I retired, and in a state LE realm, I got so sick of dispshit nobody's that their momma's knew a state senator, twice removed. This allowed them to immediately make rank....Most of these fuckers couldn't spell CAT without spellcheck and couldn't lead anybody anywhere.

At that point, they start believing their own wisdom.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That’s quite a leap to suggest that because the proper form of address for the ranks Sergeant (E-5) through Master Sergeant (E-8) are all simply “Sergeant,” that the there is no real distinction made between those ranks.

All officers are addressed as “sir,” so does that mean a Colonel is just a better paid Second Lieutenant? If you think that’s absurd, well, there you have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. SNCO in the Corps is Staff NCO not Senior. And a Staff Sgt is a Staff Sgt and a Gunny is a Gunny. When a Gunny is selected for E8 they have a decision to make. Stay in their field and become a Master Sgt or go First Sgt and assume an administrative role.
Well, that's pretty dumb.  I am an E-7 in the Army and I have literally never spent 30 minutes in a "staff" position.

"Sir" isn't a rank, pay grade, or billet.

There really isn't any way to compare officer ranks with enlisted since only 2LT and 1LT are what I'd call "generic" in that they're both addressed as "lieutenant".  CPT ,MAJ, LTC, COL are all distinct, except LTCs are addressed as "Colonial" out of courtesy.  GOs are never addressed as anything other than "general".

When was the last time you heard a LTC introduced as "L-T" because it was easier to say?

On a practical level, I prefer to know what rank a "sergeant" is when he or she answers the phone or someone shows up for a face-to-face not in uniform.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
It's fun driving onto an Army base with a GySgt, and the soldier on the gate calls him 'sergeant'.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's fun driving onto an Army base with a GySgt, and the soldier on the gate calls him 'sergeant'.

View Quote
Or conducting a field op at an Army base. Your platoon is in formation and an Army ssgt walk in between the platoon and your Platoon Sgt.
Rank don't mean anything. You done fucked up ESS ESS GEE TEE
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Sergeant Major is a fucktard.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another part of the problem with his proposal is that it assumes college today teaches critical thinking, logical analysis, and leadership skills, plus makes you smart. That isn’t necessarily the case.
View Quote
University of Phoenix does all those things and more, when your wife is pecking the "Do you need more time?" key for you all day.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
University of Phoenix does all those things and more, when your wife is pecking the "Do you need more time?" key for you all day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another part of the problem with his proposal is that it assumes college today teaches critical thinking, logical analysis, and leadership skills, plus makes you smart. That isn’t necessarily the case.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Or conducting a field op at an Army base. Your platoon is in formation and an Army ssgt walk in between the platoon and your Platoon Sgt.
Rank don't mean anything. You done fucked up ESS ESS GEE TEE
View Quote
That Army SSG knows better than to walk in front of a formation, or worse, through your formation. Even in the NG/reserves that's a big no-no.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There really isn't any way to compare officer ranks with enlisted since only 2LT and 1LT are what I'd call "generic" in that they're both addressed as "lieutenant".  CPT ,MAJ, LTC, COL are all distinct, except LTCs are addressed as "Colonial" out of courtesy.  GOs are never addressed as anything other than "general".

When was the last time you heard a LTC introduced as "L-T" because it was easier to say?

On a practical level, I prefer to know what rank a "sergeant" is when he or she answers the phone or someone shows up for a face-to-face not in uniform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure where you’re trying to go with this.

You often here Lieutenant Colonel introduced as Colonel because it is easier to say, and accepted as the proper form of address. Generals are similar. Massive difference between a 4 star and 1 star, but the form of address is simply “General.”

Calling a Lieutenant Colonel “LT” makes about as much sense as calling a Gunnery Sergeant “Gunnery” or a Master Sergeant “Master.”

1st Lt and 2nd Lt are “Lieutenant,” Lt Colonel and Colonel are “Colonel,” Generals are all “General.”

This idea that the entire rank needs to be spelled out each time isn’t even that old within the Marine Corps. But, man, once you guys invent an issue to be pedantic about, I give you kudos for how much you run with it. You even got the Army to start requiring the word “soldier” to be capitalized in official correspondence.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How hard is it to eat crayons?
View Quote
Just as easy as banging your wives when the Westpac leaves port.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You even got the Army to start requiring the word “soldier” to be capitalized in official correspondence.
View Quote
You're welcome for our service
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Having a degree is one of the things that the SFC board is supposed to look for when determining who to pick for promotion from E6 to E7 in the Army...not that it did me much good on the last board...better luck this year, I guess.

That being said, it took me about 10 years to finish my BS, between PCS moves, unit OPTEMPO, WLC, BNCOC, and SLC, and 4 deployments. When I got to Germany, I had to wait 4 months or so before I had the time to take my Capstone course, which was the last thing I needed for my BS.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#30]
The funny thing is that Brit Army Staff Sausages often are referred to as "staffy."
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The funny thing is that Brit Army Staff Sausages often are referred to as "staffy."
View Quote
There’s no logic to any of this stuff. It’s arbitrary and absurd.

To one person, in one service culture, a term will be considered an honorific. Change the milieu (even within the same military service from the same country, sometimes) and a person will find it offensive.

Within the U.S., “Chief” and “Top” are especially good examples.

I just smile and nod. People take this shit too seriously.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To one person, in one service culture, a term will be considered an honorific. Change the milieu (even within the same military service from the same country, sometimes) and a person will find it offensive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was a Capt I had some civilians that worked for me. One was a retired Master Guns that called me Skipper. I remember one of the Marines shocked about it...I just said- he was a MGuns while we were all in diapers...he can call me Skipper if he wants.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No shit.  You want a degree?   Make me an O.

There is a reason for the two career paths with commensurate pay differences.  Sometimes it isn’t fair but sometimes it is.

I have seen too many E7/ E8s that barely functioned at the GED level.  Social fairness promotions for some but not all.  I have seen some stupid Os too, but they had a degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm.

Same initial educational requirement as an Officer with less pay, a smaller pension and getting shit on more?

Sign me the fuck up.
No shit.  You want a degree?   Make me an O.

There is a reason for the two career paths with commensurate pay differences.  Sometimes it isn’t fair but sometimes it is.

I have seen too many E7/ E8s that barely functioned at the GED level.  Social fairness promotions for some but not all.  I have seen some stupid Os too, but they had a degree.
People mistake education for intellect. I’ve met far more dumbasses with degrees and no common sense than the other way around.

A degree doesn’t mean jack shit, especially when it has nothing to do with your job. Stupid requirement.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
SP gate guards in the AF started calling senior master sergeants "senior" for a while, which isn't approved but no really cared.

Wife thought it was hilarious, mostly because I started getting AARP flyers about the same time
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When I was a Capt I had some civilians that worked for me. One was a retired Master Guns that called me Skipper. I remember one of the Marines shocked about it...I just said- he was a MGuns while we were all in diapers...he can call me Skipper if he wants.
View Quote
For those of us without a maritime heritage, what is the significance of being called Skipper?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I reserve the right to refer to anyone who opts to call me “Skipper,” as “Gilligan.”
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For those of us without a maritime heritage, what is the significance of being called Skipper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skipper is just usually the captain of a naval vessel... I was a captain so...skipper. It's not really an "acceptable" thing anymore (but I understand it used to be more common). But...I didn't really give a shit. It obviously wasn't meant disrespectfully.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  I did the same thing with a CPT that I worked with until he was promoted to MAJ two weeks ago.  I'll use nautical terms when I'm speaking to groups like "when you come aboard the installation", or the "the head (I absolutely refuse to say "latrine") is the second hatch on the right down the passageway", or "his office is up the ladder well on the second deck".  I would use "port" or "starboard" if I could, but I don't want to confuse my Army brethren even more.

Honestly though, it's just kind of a standing joke and when I use a word like "at" or "on" instead of "aboard", it draws a few chuckles because I have to pause and think about it.  Army English-to say nothing of their service culture-is an odd thing to me.  My use of full rank titles like "Staff Sergeant",  "Sergeant First Class", or "Master Sergeant" out of respect for those I'm speaking to instead of just "Sergeant" has rubbed off on my co-workers however; they too have adopted the same professionalism, proving once again that Soldiers can be trained.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
most people that join the Marines don’t do it for college. I was one of them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ha!  I did the same thing with a CPT that I worked with until he was promoted to MAJ two weeks ago.  I'll use nautical terms when I'm speaking to groups like "when you come aboard the installation", or the "the head (I absolutely refuse to say "latrine") is the second hatch on the right down the passageway", or "his office is up the ladder well on the second deck".  I would use "port" or "starboard" if I could, but I don't want to confuse my Army brethren even more.

Honestly though, it's just kind of a standing joke and when I use a word like "at" or "on" instead of "aboard", it draws a few chuckles because I have to pause and think about it.  Army English-to say nothing of their service culture-is an odd thing to me.  My use of full rank titles like "Staff Sergeant",  "Sergeant First Class", or "Master Sergeant" out of respect for those I'm speaking to instead of just "Sergeant" has rubbed off on my co-workers however; they too have adopted the same professionalism, proving once again that Soldiers can be trained.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Marine Corps really worked a number on you.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#42]
My daughter is dating a US Army Tanker E-4, He has a 4 year college degree. Would not let him go directly into OCS because he had Minor in Posession conviction. Told him if he enlisted he could go to O school after two years. But now he's trying out for Special Forces.  
If she keeps dating him I hope he goes to O school,  I was the 1st officer in my family with enlisted back to at least the Civil war, Spanish American war, WW1 and WW2. I know she would have a much better lifestyle as an officers wife if she marries him an he stays in. The adrenaline junkie thing that they've got these young guys hooked on is not a life strategy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My daughter is dating a US Army Tanker E-4, He has a 4 year college degree. Would not let him go directly into OCS because he had Minor in Posession conviction. Told him if he enlisted he could go to O school after two years. But now he's trying out for Special Forces.  
If she keeps dating him I hope he goes to O school,  I was the 1st officer in my family with enlisted back to at least the Civil war, Spanish American war, WW1 and WW2. I know she would have a much better lifestyle as an officers wife if she marries him an he stays in. The adrenaline junkie thing that they've got these young guys hooked on is not a life strategy.
View Quote
An old friend of mine just retired last years as an Army JAG officer, Lieutenant Colonel type.

Some 23+ years ago he almost never got commissioned because of a BS minor in possession charge that came up. I swear, his experience with the legal (not justice) system in and around that issue seemed to have steered him toward applying for the legal education program and eventually going JAG.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#44]
It's possible, and you'll pay for it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.downthetrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/borg-meme.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My cult, is better than yours.

It brings all the girls to the bar.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#46]
They tried this shit back in the 90's IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
It wasnt a direct comparison.  "Sergeant" is the enlisted form of "sir" for ranks of E5-E8.

When stating your name and rank almost always the full rank is used.  Same if you are describing somebody to someone else.  The sergeant thing is more for brevity in regular occurrences.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny, coming from a guy who sides with Progressives half of the time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

SP gate guards in the AF started calling senior master sergeants "senior" for a while, which isn't approved but no really cared.

Wife thought it was hilarious, mostly because I started getting AARP flyers about the same time
View Quote
I'm fairly certain Senior is now an approved term of address for SMSgts
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder what happens when everyone has degrees?

http://favoritememes.com/_nw/89/21829017.jpg
View Quote
Masters programs are quickly becoming the new bachelors degree.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top