[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hope he wins
View Quote
Came to say those exact three words.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
This strikes me as a tough defamation case, since Trump is definitely a public figure, and would have to legally prove "actual malice".  That's going to take a pretty big smoking gun memo that CNN actively decided to maliciously say false things.  

Right now, CNN is probably burning and deleting stuff.  

I hope there IS a memo that says "hey, all on air staff must meet their quota of calling Trump racist hitler 2 times a week, we know he's not really hitler, but lets lie anyway".   Then, just for the lulz, if Trump winds up owning CNN, he should hire Alex Jones as president.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Probably not.  It's an exceedingly difficult hurdle and being a public politician makes it even harder.
View Quote

It's probably just a copy of the Hillary Clinton, et al. lawsuit that the judge ripped to pieces and promptly dismissed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Did you forget project veritas got CNN people on undercover video admitting they knew they were spreading lies?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rudy's got them now!

Did you forget project veritas got CNN people on undercover video admitting they knew they were spreading lies?

BOOM, and that’s just what we know about.

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I look forward to reading about this on CNN+
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
As a political office holder, Trump was a public figure. The bar for a public figure to prevail in a slander or libel case is very high.

I foresee early dismissal of the case.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As a political office holder, Trump was a public figure. The bar for a public figure to prevail in a slander or libel case is very high.

View Quote

Possibly but Trump’s attorneys seem to have a pretty good track record.

Instead of being the hunted, Trump is now the hunter.

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, now we support defamation laws and hate free speech?  It's hard to keep up with the flip-flopping around here.
View Quote
So, I have it from reliable sources that you are still beating your wife. Care to comment?
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope he wins, but know he won't
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have zero faith some cock sucker leftist judge won't axe that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Go find any Alex Jones lawsuit thread.  
View Quote

So if we're going by the Alex Jones standard, the judge must declare CNN guilty by default and in the trial for damages, the judge must also do everything they can to help Trump's lawyers. Got it.

I forgot to add, the trial for damages must be held in a jurisdiction where 90% of potential jurors really hate CNN.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Good.

Sue the rest too.  Including Fox.

Fuck every single one of those corrupt organizations.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So if we're going by the Alex Jones standard, the judge must declare CNN guilty by default and in the trial for damages, the judge must also do everything they can to help Trump's lawyers. Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go find any Alex Jones lawsuit thread.  

Only in a world where shitty analogies are taken as a good argument.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh, now we support defamation laws and hate free speech?  It's hard to keep up with the flip-flopping around here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hope he wins, but know he won't
View Quote
I can't be sure, but I bet Nick Sandman didn't do too bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I forgot to add, the trial for damages must be held in a jurisdiction where 90% of potential jurors really hate CNN.
View Quote

I'm discussing the support for Alex Jones on this site not the merits of his case.  Try to keep up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That statement is as retarded as claiming 2A rights after firing shots indiscriminately and killing someone.

The abuse of the 1st amendment has resulted in far more deaths in this country than the 2nd described above in its full capacity with the same amount of tards ever could.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Alex Jones fans.

Lots of them here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who supports people publicly making false and harmful statements against others?

Alex Jones fans.

Lots of them here.

Weak ass attempt at deflection.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Good
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Can't believe this didn't happen sooner.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm discussing the support for Alex Jones on this site not the merits of his case.  Try to keep up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So blatantly thread sliding.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Old man need money that bad?
View Quote

You think this is about money?
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you forget about the time CNN was recorded admitting they knew they were spreading lies? It wasn't that long ago.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Yet another lawsuit filed that the filer knows will lose. When it gets dismissed, 87% of ARFCOM will claim it's because the fix was in, that the Courts are conspiring against him and that justice is dead.  This is pure showmanship.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

But your TDS is unwavering.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Good. Burn them all down.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yet another lawsuit filed that the filer knows will lose. When it gets dismissed, 87% of ARFCOM will claim it's because the fix was in, that the Courts are conspiring against him and that justice is dead.  This is pure showmanship.
View Quote

I think that if the fbi was legit, you would be on a list with your Trump hate posts lately. Holy shit.

Then again,... maybe it just part of the trusted plan. And you are.

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Now go after the people who made the HBO hit piece.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Donald John Trump is my President.

45 & 47
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 2:50:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Weak ass attempt at deflection.
View Quote

No, it’s not deflection. It is precisely the point he was trying to make, which sailed 30,000 feet over your head.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, a couple problems here.

The "Alex Jones standard" would require that CNN fail repeatedly to comply with discovery.  You can reasonably assume that they won't.

Second, and far more importantly, Trump is a public figure.  The people Jones defamed were not.  When it comes to defamation actions, the difference is enomous.

So your assertion fails pretty hard.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, a couple problems here.

The "Alex Jones standard" would require that CNN fail repeatedly to comply with discovery.  You can reasonable assume that they won't.

Second, and far more importantly, Trump is a public figure.  The people Jones defamed were not.  When it comes to defamation actions, the difference is enomous.

So your assertion fails pretty hard.
View Quote
I think the problem is that people vigorously defend one liar by saying his lies are free speech because he's on their side, while simultaneously saying another group of liars that they disagree with should be buried and that their lies aren't free speech. That's just straight up hypocrisy. Otherwise, I absolutely agree with you. Trump will lose this case because he is a public figure, just like he lost the case about the piss dossier.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Case dismissed as he claims he wasn't defeated
View Quote

He was deprived of winning by the most votes ever, case back on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#39]
He’s right but he won’t win.  I’m happy to see him go after CNN and make them waste money.

I think Facebook and Twitter are far bigger, more active participants in defaming people by manipulating information flow.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The fact is that if it gets dismissed it will confirm for many that justice is in fact dead, at least for now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The fact is that if it gets dismissed it will confirm for many that justice is in fact dead, at least for now.
View Quote

When it gets dismissed, and people decide it means justice is dead, it will confirm that 87% of Americans are in desperate need of a basic civics class.

There is a reason public figures cannot successfully sue for defamation except under the most unusual circumstances, and it is a good reason.  If they could sue under the same standards as private citizens, it would basically prevent any criticism of the political class.

Could you survive if, say, Biden could sue you for every Internet post saying he is senile?  Or would you avoid posting to avoid the lawsuits?

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#42]
good
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#43]
The Supreme Court has already ruled that freedom of speech limits the abilities for a public official to sue for libel/slander.... Current or former public figures get little to no protections.

This is why biden can't sue you for talking shit about him either..

Sorry to stomp on everyone's parade. This will go nowhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Generally speaking he may have a case, but historically his choice in legal teams doesn't seem to be great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Supreme Court has already ruled that freedom of speech limits the abilities for a public official to sue for libel/slander.... Current or former public figures get little to no protections.

This is why biden can't sue you for talking shit about him either..

Sorry to stomp on everyone's parade. This will go nowhere.
View Quote

I agree, but at some point the press’ ability to push known falsehood or highly spun opinion pieces as “news” has to be challenged.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It’s the principle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old man need money that bad?

It’s the principle.

Many here even, have none

But no more mean tweets so all is fine
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Hopefully he hired real lawyers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#49]
I heard them call us incest kids, bigots, racists,” Sandmann said.

His filing against NBC-Universal and MSNBC reportedly asked for $275 million in damages.

CNN and the Washington Post both settled defamation lawsuits from Sandmann in 2020 for undisclosed amounts.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/18/covington-catholic-graduate-nicholas-sandmann-settlement-with-nbc/

I hope Trump wins bigly, Kyle too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I heard them call us incest kids, bigots, racists,” Sandmann said.

His filing against NBC-Universal and MSNBC reportedly asked for $275 million in damages.

CNN and the Washington Post both settled defamation lawsuits from Sandmann in 2020 for undisclosed amounts.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/18/covington-catholic-graduate-nicholas-sandmann-settlement-with-nbc/

I hope Trump wins bigly, Kyle too.
View Quote

Sandmann was not a public figure.

Trump is.

Completely different things.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top