Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Last year, I went on a low fat, moderate carb and protein diet.  Counted calories, and kept it around 1400 a day.  I was 315, got down to 255 in six months and felt great. Go to the gym and weight train 3x a week.

Some surgeries and the holidays set me back from staying on the diet and working out.  I’ve gained 25 lbs back.  Addicted to sugar.  Started carnivore last Tuesday.

Breakfast is a four egg omelette with a slice of <1 carb cheese and two slices of bacon.  Lunch is meatballs or 4oz Lox with 2 oz cream cheese.  Dinner is 12-14 oz fatty steak.  I’ve only had two meals in a day a couple of times because I’m not hungry.  Last night I caved and had two ozs of pecans.  They were so good.  Lots of electrolytes and water.  I take BCAA and creatine on the days I work out.  Coffee with heavy cream in the morning.  I’m in ketosis.

My wife commented last night that she can tell I’ve lost some water weight gain.  I’m not bloated anymore.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

You act like we don’t run out to the smoker in a snow storm.

View Quote

You down staters might as well be in Tampa.

My Weber charcoal kettle doubles as my smoker.  Usually the wind howling off Lake Superior sucks the heat out of any wintertime grilling attempts.

ETA, if the weather holds I am going to pull the grill out tonight, but it's supposed to get cold and snow again tomorrow.  Feeling great yesterday and today.

Another ETA, first grill of the year, tasty sausage and burgers.  10 inches of snow inbound tomorrow.  Schizo weather.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
We bought a whipped cream maker a while back so we could DIY. This is heavy cream, vanilla and CO2. Topped with peanut butter powder and I could help but steal 3 of my kids’ M&Ms cause I’m weak.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:04:49 AM EDT
[#4]
For a prepackaged carnivore-friendly ruminant snack for $5 or less, can anyone recommend anything better than this?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:26:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: burnprocess] [#5]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
For a prepackaged carnivore-friendly ruminant snack for $5 or less, can anyone recommend anything better than this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_6783_jpeg-3143664.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_6784_jpeg-3143665.JPG
View Quote

Carnivore Aurelius’ Beef Liver and Sea Salt crisps.

ETA:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been stalled at about 265 for 10 days or so... Any advise? Stay the course?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 68MUDSTUD:
I've been stalled at about 265 for 10 days or so... Any advise? Stay the course?
View Quote

Reduce caloric intake and/or increase caloric expenditure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

add IF or a 2 day fast to the mix and a metric ton of water, some with salt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Weight loss isn't a steady/progressive process, and varies over time as your metabolism adapts to caloric intake and expenditure, as well as the types of foods you're eating.
You'll generally lose weight, plateau, and lose/gain a pound or two, then start to lose again as you adjust your diet and your metabolism adjusts to 'new normals' of calorie source changes and activity intensity over a period of time.

General consensus is that it's better to keep track of how your clothes fit week to week rather than what the scale says on a daily basis.  Stalling is usually a normal thing and as long as you don't try to starve yourself, or worse, give up, you'll start to lose weight again when your metabolism adjusts, provided you don't start to cheat.

Don't think of it as a straight line on a graph that decreases according to a schedule.  It can be more of a stairstep progression.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Keep going.  Move a little more, reduce intake slightly, but don’t quit.  It’s not always a straight line.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Would like a few more details as to how long you have been eating this way, eating windows, average daily diet.

All good advice so far plateaus happen at a constant 30 day plateau it may be time to make some changes.

Without knowing any further details just back off the fat a bit and remove dairy if you are consuming any.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#12]
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

ETA:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176302/IMG_6348_jpeg-3143709.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

ETA:

That has 6 grams of carbs per serving.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_6788_jpeg-3144160.JPG
View All Quotes

ETA:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_6788_jpeg-3144160.JPG

To me, acceptable. I don’t over-indulge and otherwise it’s meat, butter, and eggs for me.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I am down 16 pounds in 2024. This is working like crazy for me and it's not really that tough, unless we go out to eat or order food. I've coupled it with IF and despite the fact that I have a few drinks a few nights a week (empty calories but no carbs) I'm still dropping weight and getting ready to hit some new goals. 16 more to go for a weight I haven't seen since middle school
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I am down 16 pounds in 2024. This is working like crazy for me and it's not really that tough, unless we go out to eat or order food. I've coupled it with IF and despite the fact that I have a few drinks a few nights a week (empty calories but no carbs) I'm still dropping weight and getting ready to hit some new goals. 16 more to go for a weight I haven't seen since middle school
View Quote

Outstanding.... Good work keep it up.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#17]
226.  Close to 30 pounds down in the last two months.  Looking visibly thinner.

Ran three miles tonight, afternoon sun melted the hockey rink off the roads.  Felt great.

Eating to satiety, OMAD at least a few times a week based on hunger or not in the morning, rarely hungry.

Three cheeseburger patties and three fried eggs for today.  Plus another few ounces of cheese.  Comfortably stuffed.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Fell off the wagon two days ago.

Had two hot chocolates at work because I was cold.

The sugar energy warmed me up, but now I am paying for it…
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Down 35lbs since new years...cheated a couple times. Feel pretty good, energy levels are up, sleeping better, inflammation much reduced, indigestion also down significantly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

View Quote

Had a cheat night last night.  Went out to bust loose a little bit and see the boys.  Miller lites, and I went to my friend’s saloon (which has excellent food) and had salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and green beans.

Came home, drank water, and ate a small steak after.  Woke up with my stomach looking flatter than it’s ever been.  Even starting to see the chub lines over where my abs are (I’m doing a lot of sit ups).  So, consistency works, but I am also convinced that every so often (maybe 3-4 weeks?) a little cheataroonie does something for the body and the overall process, a positive something, but I confess I have no idea what, why, or how.

I don’t care.  The food was good, the beer was cold, and I have zero cravings today to go back to any of it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
How are y'all feeling about pork rinds / pork skins / chicharrones / whatever you call them...

I tried these for the first time last week, and definitely liked them (was having a craving for something crunchy), but the "fried" part of "fried pork skins" has me a little worried.

If they were fried in anything but their natural fat, would the manufacturers indicate that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Pachucko:
How are y'all feeling about pork rinds / pork skins / chicharrones / whatever you call them...

I tried these for the first time last week, and definitely liked them (was having a craving for something crunchy), but the "fried" part of "fried pork skins" has me a little worried.

If they were fried in anything but their natural fat, would the manufacturers indicate that?
View Quote

I eat them for a snack also and as far as I can tell they don't affect my carnivore diet.

Like you I make sure they don't add anything else.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Assh:

I eat them for a snack also and as far as I can tell they don't affect my carnivore diet.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Assh:

Same.  Not an all-the-time thing, but a bag every so often isn’t going to sink you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Had a cheat night last night.  Went out to bust loose a little bit and see the boys.  Miller lites, and I went to my friend’s saloon (which has excellent food) and had salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and green beans.

Came home, drank water, and ate a small steak after.  Woke up with my stomach looking flatter than it’s ever been.  Even starting to see the chub lines over where my abs are (I’m doing a lot of sit ups).  So, consistency works, but I am also convinced that every so often (maybe 3-4 weeks?) a little cheataroonie does something for the body and the overall process, a positive something, but I confess I have no idea what, why, or how.

I don’t care.  The food was good, the beer was cold, and I have zero cravings today to go back to any of it.

View Quote

Inspiring man-I’ve found if I don’t indulge once in a while it takes the sport out of living for me
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:57:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#26]

View Quote

I would LOVE it if I could tolerate pork rinds, but unfortunately, to me, the zero carb ones that only have two ingredients smell like fish food and don’t taste much better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#27]
My local grocery store frequently has these on sale for $1.50 each.

I never headed into eating a new food wishing so much to like it because to find a carnivore-friendly snack at $1.50 a pop would be fantastic.

Alas…. fish food.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToxicMasculinity] [#28]
I was a competitive powerlifter and started having issues with Crohn's a couple years ago. It got really bad but I kept mostly in shape.

I did 8 months of beef, butter, iodized sea salt, water. Anything else gave me issues. Even at 6 months when I tried them. Month 9 and have now slowly added cheese, plain whole fat yogurt, and eggs with no issues.

It seems bowel disease is from leaky gut caused by grains and plants. Shit escapes the intestine walls after the damage is done, and the immune system develops antibodies, plus all the inflammation etc. Takes time on a red meat elimination diet to heal it.

If you're already in shape when you start, I don't recommend one or two meals a day. Shoot for 3. I lost a lot of muscle and strength at first from not eating enough but have gained it back. I'm also now down to maybe 6-7% bodyfat

I don't cheat because no matter what it is, it tastes like shit compared to steak etc. Carbs taste bad, make my joints hurt, give me brain fog, make me feel slow and shitty etc. I've tried. Literally zero desire to cheat.

Grains and plants are food for livestock, peasants/serfs and slaves. Always has been.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#29]
My local grocery store frequently has these on sale for $1.50 each.

I never headed into eating a new food wishing so much to like it because to find a carnivore-friendly snack at $1.50 a pop would be fantastic.

Alas…. fish food.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_6853_jpeg-3146889.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_6852_jpeg-3146890.JPG
View Quote

Use Jalapeno cream cheese to dip them in, changes it all. I buy the BBQ ones and combined with the cream cheese gives me the crunch and flavor needed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Have done keto on and off for years.

Sometimes one cheat meal seems to do me well when I've stalled.

Will usually have a cheat dinner and then try and fast a bit longer the next day.

Can often get back into ketosis in less than 24 hours (checked with keto meter).
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zeekh] [#31]

View Quote

A friend that did keto used to do a cheat meal when he plateaued. Worked well to get loss rolling again
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By zeekh:

A friend that did keto used to do a cheat meal when he plagued. Worked well to get loss rolling again
View Quote

After 2 weeks solid I had 2 slices of pizza today and an Irish cream. I feel puffy and like a big bag of pickled dicks. Not sure what the scale will say in the morning but it’s unpleasant currently.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I think going purely off the scale isn’t ideal.

Yeah, you are gonna gain some water weight back from the carbs. Big deal.

If you feel ok and look ok, then you know carbs once in a while might be ok.

If you feel and/or look horrible, then you can see that you don’t do well with carbs and keep that information in mind when/if you want to deviate from your diet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#34]

A friend that did keto used to do a cheat meal when he plateaued. Worked well to get loss rolling again
View All Quotes

Yeah, I have to support that theory, but cannot explain how it works.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steviesterno16] [#35]
Mammoth, Baer and Beef for lunch
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:
Last year, I went on a low fat, moderate carb and protein diet.  Counted calories, and kept it around 1400 a day.  I was 315, got down to 255 in six months and felt great. Go to the gym and weight train 3x a week.

Some surgeries and the holidays set me back from staying on the diet and working out.  I’ve gained 25 lbs back.  Addicted to sugar.  Started carnivore last Tuesday.

Breakfast is a four egg omelette with a slice of <1 carb cheese and two slices of bacon.  Lunch is meatballs or 4oz Lox with 2 oz cream cheese.  Dinner is 12-14 oz fatty steak.  I’ve only had two meals in a day a couple of times because I’m not hungry.  Last night I caved and had two ozs of pecans.  They were so good.  Lots of electrolytes and water.  I take BCAA and creatine on the days I work out.  Coffee with heavy cream in the morning.  I’m in ketosis.

My wife commented last night that she can tell I’ve lost some water weight gain.  I’m not bloated anymore.
View Quote

Pecans are disgusting
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Finishing week six today, down 18 so far. Keep this thread going guys!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#38]
So, I've been doing carnivore for about six weeks, and am quite pleased with the changes. The light wheezing on exertion is gone. The sock elastic making dents in my calves is gone. Mood is much better, and have more energy. Down about twenty pounds +.

Has anyone noticed an increase in libido? Seriously... It's no minor change.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By rsqhobbs:
So, I've been doing carnivore for about six weeks, and am quite pleased with the changes. The light wheezing on exertion is gone. The sock elastic making dents in my calves is gone. Mood is much better, and have more energy. Down about twenty pounds +.

View Quote

You want to fuck.  Constantly.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

You 'ought' to have your testosterone levels checked at least every few years anyway, but my test lvl went up almost 80 points since going carno.

Keep in mind that the 'normal level, you're fine' response the average doc gives you when you think you're low ranges from something like 295 to 900, and the pool they average that from includes 16 year old boys to 90 year old men, so the 'average' range they use for 'normal' is bogus.

Best value for *you* in your prime might have been in the 500 to 600 range, but when your 'older' self is testing at 315 - your doc will probably balk if you want it to be higher.
Finding a doc that will prescribe TRT can be a PITA struggle.

Just something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Ok, so it's not just me then.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By kaos:

You 'ought' to have your testosterone levels checked at least every few years anyway, but my test lvl went up almost 80 points since going carno.

Keep in mind that the 'normal level, you're fine' response the average doc gives you when you think you're low ranges from something like 295 to 900, and the pool they average that from includes 16 year old boys to 90 year old men, so the 'average' range they use for 'normal' is bogus.

Best value for *you* in your prime might have been in the 500 to 600 range, but when your 'older' self is testing at 315 - your doc will probably balk if you want it to be higher.
Finding a doc that will prescribe TRT can be a PITA struggle.

Just something to keep in mind.
View Quote

Good information here. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerinFL] [#43]
started out 2024 wearing a size 42 size pants. currently wearing a size 36 these days!!! i have dropped 38lbs. I am not as worried about what the scales says as much as my mood is much better. little to no inflammation which is so nice not to be hurting these days like I was before. my sleep is very deep every night it seems and the energy level is much improved. Trying to walk the dog about 5-6 miles a week. I hadn't got to the gym yet.

nothing but steak, bacon, butter, eggs & salt. i do still eat a protein bar every day and I could lose that. yesterday I cheated a little and we went mexican. 10oz rib eye, grilled onions, sour cream and 3 tortillas. man it was so freaking good. finished off the small amount of leftovers this morning. probably another steak tonight for dinner.

my problem has been not eating enough, but I am full and don't really feel like eating. maybe around 1200 calories daily. lots of butter and cooking in bacon grease so my fat intake is high. I also drink at least one of the LMNT salt drinks daily if not two. they taste pretty good and I know IM getting the minerals I need.

goal is to drop another 40lbs or more this year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TigerinFL:
started out 2024 wearing a size 42 size pants. currently wearing a size 36 these days!!! i have dropped 38lbs. I am not as worried about the scales says as much as my mood is much better. little to no inflammation which is so nice not to be hurting these days like I was before. my sleep is very deep every night it seems and the energy level is much improved. Trying to walk the dog about 5-6 miles a week. I hadn't got to the gym yet.

nothing but steak, bacon, butter, eggs & salt. i do still eat a protein bar every day and I could lose that. yesterday I cheated a little and we went mexican. 10oz rib eye, grilled onions, sour cream and 3 tortillas. man it was so freaking good. finished off the small amount of leftovers this morning. probably another steak tonight for dinner.

my problem has been not eating enough, but I am full and don't really feel like eating. maybe around 1200 calories daily. lots of butter and cooking in bacon grease so my fat intake is high. I also drink at least one of the LMNT salt drinks daily if not two. they taste pretty good and I know IM getting the minerals I need.

goal is to drop another 40lbs or more this year.
View Quote

When I wasn't hungry enough/not eating enough, I just made my 2 normal meals smaller and added another for breakfast to get my body to expect food more often. I started training harder and doing both of these increased my appetite and it's going better now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I started it last Saturday, first few days sucked ass.

Third day was the worst, I felt horrible.

Fourth day was almost as bad and I almost gave up but I kept at it.

Fifth day was better and the sixth and seventh day were even better.

Today is day eight, finally feel like I'm over the hump.

Did not weight myself but I had to tighten my belt one notch.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Klee:
I started it last Saturday, first few days sucked ass.

Third day was the worst, I felt horrible.

Fourth day was almost as bad and I almost gave up but I kept at it.

Fifth day was better and the sixth and seventh day were even better.

Today is day eight, finally feel like I'm over the hump.

Did not weight myself but I had to tighten my belt one notch.
View Quote

If it’s your first transition, it can be rough.  Good on you for sticking with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Sous vide + fire + blue cheese
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Glad to see more folks on the wagon and doing well.... Keep it up y'all.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Lucky-Charm:
Glad to see more folks on the wagon and doing well.... Keep it up y'all.

View Quote

Snacks help a ton at night if I realize I’m still a little hungry as sleep approaches.  Liver crisps and sardines are my go-to.  Pork rinds are tasty and all, and will continue to eat them, but more sparingly as I’m not sure what they’re fried in.

Once you get a few weeks in, your gut and bathroom habits stabilize and you shit only once every 3-5 days, it starts to get easy.  The groove is easy to maintain.  Just don’t beat yourself up if you have a little sneaky sneak cheat meal and a few beers once a month or something!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

How old are you guys?
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top