Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Jumping back into carnivore next week.

Put on a lot of weight over the holidays that never came off. I am a sweets addict

Did Carnivore for 30 days last year and felt amazing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lucky-Charm:
I have watched the congressional hearings on adopting the pyramid and doctor after doctor said you are going to kill people and congress basically said yeah, but we are going to save quite a bit of money on food stamp programs.

Question everything.
View Quote

The food pyramid is run by the Ag Dept trying to sell more of their farmers' grain.  

There are any books and articles on how the vegetarians on McGovern's staff started the whole mess in 1977 and it has been with us ever since.

"Big Fat Surprise" is a GREAT book on this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By zeekh:

I've read that many olive oil contain rape seed oli. Best source for olive oil is California. They have to be pure olive oil.
View Quote

Yes, many countries have different standards for "pure" or EEVO olive oil.  You need to be careful about brands.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
First let me apologize in case this has already been answered but I didn't read all 12 pages.

You all seem to have good results with this diet and I wouldn't mind trying it.  Are there some simple instructions or a site with simple rules to explain it so I don't have to read an entire book?

Thanks
View Quote

Here you go:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-content/2014/10/no_sugar_no_starch_diet.pdf

I would strongly recommend skipping anything (or as much as you can) with seed oils, including peanut oil.

If you want to go full carnivore, skip the salad and veggies as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#6]
First let me apologize in case this has already been answered but I didn't read all 12 pages.

You all seem to have good results with this diet and I wouldn't mind trying it.  Are there some simple instructions or a site with simple rules to explain it so I don't have to read an entire book?

Thanks
View Quote
CARNIVORE Diet (Beginner's Guide) All You Need to Get Started - 2024

Carnivore Diet Checklist [Tips to start a Carnivore Diet] 2024

Carnivore For Beginners: How To Start A Carnivore Diet with Tips, Tricks, and Common Pitfalls

That should get you started.  I like the Dr. Berry videos because he doesn't waste time and he's organized, usually around lists.  Each of his points has a definite beginning and definite ending and he doesn't just drone on and on and on like so many other YTers.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:11:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: J4C3] [#7]
Finished reading Starting Strength, and started the workouts this week. I'm surprised how well I'm recovering on carnivore diet. Normally my muscles feel shredded after restarting a strength plan, but nothing this time.

Next challenge is to eat 4500 calories each day. Planning to grind whole prime briskets for ~70/30 mix, and eat 3 lbs per day. Probably add a few eggs as well.

Also quit electrolyte drink mix this week. The 5mg boron per day helps absorb electrolytes so well that salting meat is enough now. Excessive magnesium is not fun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I'm developing an auto-immune disorder so I've been transitioning into this for a couple weeks.  My wife decided to try too for other symptoms.

I've always just pan fried my steaks and burgers and such but with so much more cooking it's already getting old cleaning my cast iron and grease splatter from so much pan frying.  I've never had a grill so I dunno what I should actually get.

I don't need anything huge.  Just enough for 3 people, several times per week or possibly daily.  Mostly steaks (regular 1" ribeyes but also thinner breakfast style ones too), burger patties, various types of chicken, boneless ribs, pork steaks and chops, etc.

I liked the idea of the Recteq Bullsye 350 but it's probably slower than I'd want for the vast majority of my daily cooking.

I want to cook up a steak or burgers within a few minutes like I can do on my gas range in cast iron pans.  Afterwards I don't want to clean a bunch of shit for longer than it took to cook and eat it.  

Do I just get a plain old, boring gas grill big enough for the amounts we'll cook each day?  Or is a Blackstone-type griddle what I'm looking for since that will just be like a huge pan fryer to use outside?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FaygoJoe:
I think I'm developing an auto-immune disorder so I've been transitioning into this for a couple weeks.  My wife decided to try too for other symptoms.

I've always just pan fried my steaks and burgers and such but with so much more cooking it's already getting old cleaning my cast iron and grease splatter from so much pan frying.  I've never had a grill so I dunno what I should actually get.

I don't need anything huge.  Just enough for 3 people, several times per week or possibly daily.  Mostly steaks (regular 1" ribeyes but also thinner breakfast style ones too), burger patties, various types of chicken, boneless ribs, pork steaks and chops, etc.

I liked the idea of the Recteq Bullsye 350 but it's probably slower than I'd want for the vast majority of my daily cooking.

I want to cook up a steak or burgers within a few minutes like I can do on my gas range in cast iron pans.  Afterwards I don't want to clean a bunch of shit for longer than it took to cook and eat it.  

Do I just get a plain old, boring gas grill big enough for the amounts we'll cook each day?  Or is a Blackstone-type griddle what I'm looking for since that will just be like a huge pan fryer to use outside?
View Quote

Get a small Blackstone. You just basically scrape the left overs into a disposable tin in the back and hit it with a paper towel. Pretty easy
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Blackstone or similar griddle.

The fry pan is a fight. Generally cooks well but grease floats in the air.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks
View Quote

Meat, eggs, and cheese.
That’s it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I would get a propane grill. Blackstone is great but a one trick pony.

With the grill you can get a cast plate if you want to sear.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies/info.  It seems almost stupid simple so I should be able to do it
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Would these cough drops be okay?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#15]
They are fine if you're sick...
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#16]
They are fine if you're sick...
View Quote

I don’t know about “sick,” but I do sometimes have a sore throat that comes and goes and can result in me going through a pack of 45 in 5-7 days.

If that’s an issue (especially in the first month), I guess I could try one of the stronger brands that taste less like candy and more like cleaning chemicals.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_6662_jpeg-3138302.JPG
View Quote
The aspertame and isomalt are the two ingredients that are on the list of stuff you are wanting to avoid, but considering the relatively low volumes they probably have - it shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're trying to go strict carnivore, or elimination diet.
The main issue being that small dribbles eventually add up to a lot crap if you're combining it with additives in other processed 'foods' that you're consuming in a day.
Anything besides just the stuff on the BBB&E diet will generally have stuff you came to carnivore trying to avoid.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Even fake sugar is bad.  Your body still treats it like sugar, to a degree.

For cough, get a prescription for benzonatate, aka Tessalon.  Cheap and super effective.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#19]
@FaygoJoe the most common triggers for autoimmune disorders are nutrient deficiencies and allergies. Carnivore is whose because it eliminates most common food allergies but don't ignore any other allergen and pay attention to nutrients. The most common nutrient deficiencies are magnesium and selenium.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:41:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#20]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

For cough, get a prescription for benzonatate, aka Tessalon.  Cheap and super effective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

It’s a sore throat, but there usually isn’t much coughing.

I guess I could just stock the stronger “cleaning chemicals” cough drops.  Those taste so nasty that an average sore throat is damn near preferable to consuming them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]

It’s a sore throat, but there usually isn’t much coughing.

I guess I could just stock the stronger “cleaning chemicals” cough drops.  Those taste so nasty that an average sore throat is damn near preferable to consuming them.
View Quote

I have had (and recommend socially but not professionally) that a sore throat is well treated by gargling grain alcohol. Don't swallow it. But it kills the cells that are releasing their "hurt everything around me" chemicals, plus it's a numbing agent. It's got calories but no carbs so it's kinda ok from some keto/carnivore perspectives.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
@FaygoJoe the most common triggers for autoimmune disorders are nutrient deficiencies and allergies. Carnivore is whose because it eliminates most common food allergies but don't ignore any other allergen and pay attention to nutrients. The most common nutrient deficiencies are magnesium and selenium.
View Quote

Thanks.  After an ongoing problem, then an ER visit I followed up with my primary doc and an allergist.  Both don't think I haven anything based on the test results.  The symptoms came back after awhile and I'm thinking something might actually be wrong.  My wife is convinced I have something.  If it's likely not allergies, and a nutrient thing, I'll have to experiment to try an narrow it down.  All I know is something isn't quite right.

As far as the carnivore diet goes, I've already been a pretty low carb diet for almost a year with intermittent fasting.  It's been pretty good but I think carnivore could help with other stuff.  People seem to get off of medications, lose more weight, have better skin, etc. so I thought I'd give it a try for those things along with what I first heard of using it for auto-immune stuff and trying to figure out what's wrong with me.  I figured it can't hurt to try it for a few months if I can make it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:48:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Plucky_Purcell] [#23]
I weigh in every morning right after my morning restroom visit.  Tracking has been very encouraging.  Note that the first big drop was definitely water weight.  I'm 64 and 6'0" and my goal weight is 195.  We'll see once I'm there.  Started on normal carnivore "eat until you're full, two meals" but once I was in full ketosis and not feeling hungry I went down to 3 eggs for breakfast and nothing else on most days.  I supplement with fish oil, Centrum Silver, Mg, and K.  I do 30 min on the eliptical and strength training on alternate days.  I'm down 40 lbs, feel really good, and my wife is really happy.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Bacon wrapped shrimp with spicy cream cheese and some butter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Pick one of the following to use for cooking ribeyes on a cast iron skillet:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#26]
either, but, jus get the pan hot the ribeye has plenty of fat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Plucky_Purcell:
I weigh in every morning right after my morning restroom visit.  Tracking has been very encouraging.  Note that the first big drop was definitely water weight.  I'm 64 and 6'0" and my goal weight is 195.  We'll see once I'm there.  Started on normal carnivore "eat until you're full, two meals" but once I was in full ketosis and not feeling hungry I went down to 3 eggs for breakfast and nothing else on most days.  I supplement with fish oil, Centrum Silver, Mg, and K.  I do 30 min on the eliptical and strength training on alternate days.  I'm down 40 lbs, feel really good, and my wife is really happy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/487105/Weight_Record_2-23-24-3139481.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Are you saying that for most days you have 3 eggs and nothing else for BREAKFAST or 3 eggs and nothing else FOR THE REST OF THE DAY?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]
either, but, jus get the pan hot the ribeye has plenty of fat.
View Quote

I was curious which one people prefer for taste.

I prefer salted butter over non-salted, but I’ve never had Himalayan pink salt before so I have no idea what it tastes like.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#30]

I've read that many olive oil contain rape seed oli. Best source for olive oil is California. They have to be pure olive oil.
View Quote

I saw an article about how the Italian mafia is controlling the olive oil industry and using cheaper oils with food coloring in them to look right.  I had a bottle of an Italian maker (Filippo Berio?) and ordered a bottle of California oil.  The minute I opened the California oil, smelled it, and felt the texture, I knew the Italian bottle was a ripoff.  There was a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:19:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MaximusEmanatus:

I saw an article about how the Italian mafia is controlling the olive oil industry and using cheaper oils with food coloring in them to look right.  I had a bottle of an Italian maker (Filippo Berio?) and ordered a bottle of California oil.  The minute I opened the California oil, smelled it, and felt the texture, I knew the Italian bottle was a ripoff.  There was a noticeable difference.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Are you saying that for most days you have 3 eggs and nothing else for BREAKFAST or 3 eggs and nothing else FOR THE REST OF THE DAY?
View All Quotes

Nothing else for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

We've  been using Califonia olive oli exclusively for quite a few years.  Prior to that we bought the Italian brand because they know olive oil
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:34:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WorkDroid] [#34]
Todays dinner this morning:

Pan fried tri-tip in butter. Topped with garlic feta sprinkled with sea salt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#35]
It's always a struggle when I visit my husband's family. They eat whatever the opposite of low carb is. A high carb, low protein diet. We're spending 4 days-day 3 and my stomach thinks it's dying.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#36]
@FaygoJoe can you share what labs you have had? I'm not an expert but I have learned to eliminate 3 of my autoimmune disorders and am slowly reducing the other two.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/IMG_6456_jpeg-3140166.JPG

Bacon wrapped shrimp with spicy cream cheese and some butter.
View Quote

How do you work it so that the bacon is cooked before the shrimp gets overcooked?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#38]

We've  been using Califonia olive oli exclusively for quite a few years.  Prior to that we bought the Italian brand because they know olive oil
View Quote

There are a few different olive oil sources that are credible, what is available in the stores is not. That's because the ones that bottle the good stuff, isn't in enough volume to supply all of the stores. California ranch used to be good, but the demand was such that they now are blended with olive oils from different sources.

As for me, I get bariani from California, and kouzini from Greece. I get the early harvest oils, which is rich in polyphenols, but also stronger tasting and more bitter. I used to get early harvest plus the regular stuff but I've acquired a taste for actual olive oil, which is spicy and a little bitter.

If you read the labels of the grocery store stuff, you  can see that it's not really extra virgin olive oil, it's olive oil mixed with other oil, to tone it down, because Americans don't like the taste of real food.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

How do you work it so that the bacon is cooked before the shrimp gets overcooked?
View Quote

Thick shrimp and skinny bacon. Plus the shrimp were a little tough but the flavor was great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Par cook the bacon in the oven....
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#41]
3rd week back on carnivore.

Amazing. AMA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#42]
Ran 3 miles tonight.  Felt great.  Cooking an 18 oz burger for dinner.

ETA, who has a tip for flipping a 8 inch diameter burger in a skillet without splattering grease on the ceiling.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

ETA, who has a tip for flipping a 8 inch diameter burger in a skillet without splattering grease on the ceiling.
View Quote

Ninja Airfryer is your best friend, now and forever more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Flip outside...

I do all my cooking outdoors now of course it doesn't hurt living in South Florida....
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Flip outside...

I do all my cooking outdoors now of course it doesn't hurt living in South Florida....
View Quote

I would if I could, however I'm a little ways west of the opposite end of I75.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

Amazing. AMA.
View Quote

Why did you get off carnivore?
What did you eat when you were off? SAD? Keto?
What is the most notable side effect?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Flip outside...

You act like we don’t run out to the smoker in a snow storm.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Pick up handle and let grease run to bottom . Flip burger. Set handle back down on burner. Aprons come in handy as well for keeping grease stains off of your clothes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Sardines.  Breakfast of champions. Zero prep, easy cleanup.

King Oscar brand, skinless & boneless, in olive oil.  There's a slightly pricier one in EVOO I haven't tried yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

Amazing. AMA.

Laziness and social obligations.  I was always out and about (not anymore), and the whole “a little cheat now won’t hurt,” but it did, since a cheat on one day led to an easier cheat the next day, etc.  like working out, NEVER rest more than a day unless you absolutely have to.

I still ate fairly clean; I’ve never been a big proponent of processed foods like cereals, packaged meats, etc.  I’ve always read labels.  I guess you could consider what I went to as more a paleo diet but with “outing” foods added regularly - a burger, a burrito, etc.  Of course I cannot dictate what a restaurant puts in their foods - I assume it’s processed stuff when they can use it.

The effects were pretty significant.  Definitely gained weight, but not to obesity.  I got “fuller.”  Not in a bulky, swole way.  My energy started fluctuating more and tiredness would creep in again.  My knees would feel warm and crackly - lots of joint issues when I take in carbs/greens.  

The food tasted good and made social situations a little easier but in reality it was impacting my health.  I can do OK on something like paleo, but something about carnivore makes my body feel positively incredible.  It really does feel like a superpower sometimes.
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top