Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 68MUDSTUD:
5 weeks in tomorrow, got past my 20 pounds stall. This morning weighed in at 258! This is awesome!
View Quote

Keep going!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
What’s a good “on the go/keep in your office desk if you get hungry” snack that this diet allows for?
View Quote

I think I finally found a relatively cheap solution that actually tastes pretty good to me.

$5

310 calories

12.5g fat

50g protein

0 carbs

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]

I think I finally found a relatively cheap solution that actually tastes pretty good to me.

$5

310 calories

12.5g fat

50g protein

0 carbs

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_7003_jpeg-3154490.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_7002_jpeg-3154492.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
What’s a good “on the go/keep in your office desk if you get hungry” snack that this diet allows for?

$5

310 calories

12.5g fat

50g protein

0 carbs

There's really no need. Beef is 5$/lb. That is 20$/lb. Why wouldn't you just eat a slightly larger meal?

Snacking is a bad habit. Fasting is easy on carnivore, just drink water to fill your stomach if you want to eat between meals.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm camping with my grandson. I'm out until Monday night.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By J4C3:

There's really no need. Beef is 5$/lb. That is 20$/lb. Why wouldn't you just eat a slightly larger meal?

Snacking is a bad habit. Fasting is easy on carnivore, just drink water to fill your stomach if you want to eat between meals.
View All Quotes

$5

310 calories

12.5g fat

50g protein

0 carbs

It’s more of a light lunch in the office or on the go rather than a “snack.”

As for your “why wouldn't you just eat a slightly larger meal” question: in one meal your body can only use somewhere around 25-35 grams of protein to fuel muscle growth.  Eating a bigger heavy protein meal without getting that benefit of the extra protein doesn’t interest me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:16:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: J4C3] [#6]

As for your “why wouldn't you just eat a slightly larger meal” question: in one meal your body can only use somewhere around 25-35 grams of protein to fuel muscle growth.  Eating a bigger heavy protein meal without getting that benefit of the extra protein doesn’t interest me.
View Quote

The 25-35 gram protein limit is a myth. Myth #2: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/exposing-the-myths-about-protein.html

Plus, you should be eating fatty meat. Fat is the energy source. There is a big difference going from 85/15, to 80/20, to 70/30. I quit eating 85/15 this week. It's much easier to stomach 1lb of 80/20 ground beef per serving, and 70/30 just tastes so much better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

Exercising?
View Quote

This is probably where the stall came from or at least is extending the natural plateau. I started lifting again in Jan but for the last 3 weeks we are in the middle of a complete kitchen remodel (doing it all myself in the evening and weekends) and are under the gun with a timeframe for completion. Granite comes next week and I am 85% done. I am able to see the end now so will be able to be more consistent with exercise. We live on a large property and I have trails all in the woods to hike.

My energy is good and my chronic back and arthritis pain is reduced. I'm 53, degenerative spine (genetic) but I cope well. My blood panel is always good, I have no bad numbers so will be interesting to see how it may be next time. I am sleeping very well. My heartburn that was not awful but consistent is gone. I feel with more weight loss I may feel like a new man. Goal is under 200lbs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I hope that you have good kidneys. That diet would send me directly to dialysis
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 12a10:
View Quote

You must already have bad kidneys. Humans and immediate ancestors have been carnivores for as much as 2.1 million years.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:34:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: burnprocess] [#10]
Originally Posted By Geohans:

You must already have bad kidneys. Humans and immediate ancestors have been carnivores for as much as 2.1 million years.
View All Quotes

Dr. Ken Berry has stated that the carnivore diet has shown to improve kidney function and even reverses some chronic ailments.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#11]
This is day 60 for me.

0 Carbs.  No cheating.

No Snacking.

350 to 675 calories / day.

Down 47.2 lbs.

9 lbs to go to reach my goal weight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Plucky_Purcell:
This is day 60 for me.

0 Carbs.  No cheating.

No Snacking.

Down 47.2 lbs.

View Quote

That’s starvation level calories but good on your progress!
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Started Jan 1st. Have had 2 cheat days. Have eaten 0 sugar and less than 5 carbs a day with very little excercise.

I'm currently down 21 pounds and 3 inches at my waist.

Gonna keep going for 30 days total to see if I feel like keeping it up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#14]

The 25-35 gram protein limit is a myth. Myth #2: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/exposing-the-myths-about-protein.html

Plus, you should be eating fatty meat. Fat is the energy source. There is a big difference going from 85/15, to 80/20, to 70/30. I quit eating 85/15 this week. It's much easier to stomach 1lb of 80/20 ground beef per serving, and 70/30 just tastes so much better.
View All Quotes

Your body can absorb the vast majority of protein you consume in a single meal, however there is a limit to how much protein can be used to fuel muscle growth. I’ve done extensive research on the subject and have taken from dozens of different studies to form that belief. I would love it if I could eat all the protein I want in a single meal and all of it would be used to fuel muscle growth, but that would require me to cherry-pick my findings from a few sources while disregarding the majority of my findings.

I agree about the fat, but, again, I’m talking about an on-the-go light lunch where my options are something like the aforementioned venison sticks or nothing.  The only other thing I’ve found that fits the bill and actually tastes good to me would be something like this and while money isn’t really an issue for my meat selection, I also don’t want to make a habit of paying $128 per pound for a ribeye when I can get prime ribeye steaks for $18-20 a pound.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Dr. Ken Berry has stated that the carnivore diet has shown to improve kidney function and even reverses some chronic ailments.
View All Quotes

I became interested in the carnivore diet simply because I wanted to lose weight and I loved the idea of a diet where I could eat eggs and bacon for breakfast and a prime ribeye steak for dinner.  

However, the more I looked into the diet, the more I discovered the research I was finding on it showed it is shockingly beneficial.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also a lot of the “experts” trashing the diet also support a diet where you consume 6-11 servings of bread and pasta a day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know of a free app that’s good for keeping track and/or planning what you eat?

Preferably one that simply keeps track of it WITHOUT offering advice on what it thinks you should and shouldn’t be eating.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know of a free app that's good for keeping track and/or planning what you eat?

Preferably one that simply keeps track of it WITHOUT offering advice on what it thinks you should and shouldn't be eating.

View Quote
I though hard about that and even looked at a couple on apple. But the diet is so simple, why bother? Unless you just want to track your food and maybe macronutrients?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
I though hard about that and even looked at a couple on apple. But the diet is so simple, why bother? Unless you just want to track your food and maybe macronutrients?
View All Quotes
Does anyone know of a free app that's good for keeping track and/or planning what you eat?

Preferably one that simply keeps track of it WITHOUT offering advice on what it thinks you should and shouldn't be eating.

Mostly I’m curious about the fat:protein ratio.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#19]
On day 16.

Have not weighed myself but my pants keep getting looser.

My mind is clearer and I have more energy, that's the really great part because ever since my second bout with covid in 2021 I been having a alot of brain fog issues and being tired all the damn time.

That alone is worth trying this diet if your on the fence.

First half of the first week really sucked ass and I felt like I was sick, extra tired and zero energy almost like the flu and a couple of times I almost stopped but I'm glad I powered through.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:16:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: burnprocess] [#20]
Originally Posted By Klee:
On day 16.

Have not weighed myself but my pants keep getting looser.

My mind is clearer and I have more energy, that's the really great part because ever since my second bout with covid in 2021 I been having a alot of brain fog issues and being tired all the damn time.

That alone is worth trying this diet if your on the fence.

First half of the first week really sucked ass and I felt like I was sick, extra tired and zero energy almost like the flu and a couple of times I almost stopped but I'm glad I powered through.
View Quote

Yep.  Damn near textbook transition.  The clear mind is a boon; most guys don’t seem to believe it but post-nut clarity is basically 24/7 on carnivore.  Insane how beneficial this way of eating is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
It's great seeing all there positive results... Stick with y'all with time food becomes just a fuel source.

14 months here noting more than beef, lamb, salt, and water and the occasional piece of goat or sheep's milk cheese.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#22]
This is day 60 for me.

0 Carbs.  No cheating.

No Snacking.

Down 47.2 lbs.

View Quote

Do you exercise ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I have had ZERO calories in 37 hours. going to try for 48 and see how it's going then. So far so good, some salt in my water and coffee but otherwise that's it
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]
What am I missing here?

A 16 oz ribeye has 763 calories, 42.4g of fat, and 90.6g of protein?

https://www.doctorkiltz.com/best-steak-for-carnivore-diet/

Attachment Attached File

Those numbers are not even in the same ballpark as other sites.

Attachment Attached File

Even the graphic on the same page tells a much different story.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#25]
For whatever reason, came home after work yesterday and carbed out. Big ol bowl of pasta and some girlscout cookies.

Was late to work today because I woke up with a fucking hangover. Bed sheets wet with sweat. Slept like shit overall. Havent had a drink in years but this felt exactly like a bad night of drinking.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Myth busted
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 68MUDSTUD] [#27]
I'm at 5.5 weeks, stepped on the scale this morning on my way into the shower, and I'm at 255! total of 25 pounds lost! I've only cheated once, with a Dr Pepper at about 4 weeks. Keep it up guys!

Edit: I haven't weighed this little since I was probably 25 years old. Just turned 36 yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
For whatever reason, came home after work yesterday and carbed out. Big ol bowl of pasta and some girlscout cookies.

Was late to work today because I woke up with a fucking hangover. Bed sheets wet with sweat. Slept like shit overall. Havent had a drink in years but this felt exactly like a bad night of drinking.

View Quote
There is no doubt that I feel better without a lot of carbs.  

My experience isn't that dramatic, but I haven't gone all feedbag on pasta and cookies either.  You have to cheat once in a while, there is thinking that it required to reset some hormones.  Hangover is the right way to describe it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Yup.  Exactly same response with me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ckh1980:

Myth busted
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ckh1980:

Myth busted

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Trying-the-carnivore-diet-already-seeing-results-after-only-ten-days-/5-2698971/&page=16#i108275797
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I have had ZERO calories in 37 hours. going to try for 48 and see how it's going then. So far so good, some salt in my water and coffee but otherwise that's it
View Quote

Made it to ~48 hours yesterday afternoon and was a bit weird because I hadn't lost an ounce in two days. Was fine up through like noon but then the day got really slow. Broke the fast with a whiskey, chicken, and a bacon cheeseburger. Checked this morning and down 4 pounds from before starting the fast. So looks like there's something in a multi-day fasting process that helped me power through a stall.

that said, I'm now getting close to my goal weight. I want to set myself a "prize" or reward when I hit it, something in the >$500 that would be cool and memorable. Thoughts on what that should be? I'm leaning towards a silly watch I want, NFA stamping something random, or otherwise I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Lol, thats pretty much it
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:41:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#34]
Does anyone know of a free app that’s good for keeping track and/or planning what you eat?

Preferably one that simply keeps track of it WITHOUT offering advice on what it thinks you should and shouldn’t be eating.

View Quote

You don’t really need to overthink the carnivore diet.

Just eat meat, until you are satisfied, and stop.

No counting calories or carbs or anything like that.

It is simple and effective.

If it doesn’t walk, fly, or swim, you can’t eat it.

Anything produced by the aforementioned creatures is also ok.  Eggs, fat, etc…
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#35]
223 pounds today.
31 pounds lost.  Roughly that many to go.
Weight keeps falling off.
Running a couple miles daily feels great.
Breakfast was six eggs and a little Fresca cheese.
1 pound of 80/20 burger patties topped with cheese tonight.

Considering reducing my coffee intake, mainly to see if sleep improves.
I already have to limit intake to before 1pm.
I love coffee though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By xd341:
There is no doubt that I feel better without a lot of carbs.

My experience isn't that dramatic, but I haven't gone all feedbag on pasta and cookies either.  You have to cheat once in a while, there is thinking that it required to reset some hormones.  Hangover is the right way to describe it.
View Quote
Been fairly strict with this diet since 01/01 but have had a handful of "cheat" meals.

It's weird and I don't know the science behind it but I think that's pretty accurate, for me anyways.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I do 30min on the elliptical every other day.  Other than that it's just the standard work around the property.

I'm retired, 64, 5' 11", and started off at 251.8 lbs.

Yesterday I weighed in at 201.8 lbs.  Loss of 50 lbs is a big milestone for me.  Went from 40 jeans to 34.  My wife is really happy.  To celebrate I bought myself a box of Cohibas last night from JR (25%off sale).

I want to get to 195 so there's only 6.8 lbs to go.  I haven't seen a 1 as that first digit in a long long time.

I know this low-cal carnivore wouldn't be good for everyone, but it's working great for me.

Originally Posted By Trod7308:

Do you exercise ?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trod7308:
This is day 60 for me.

0 Carbs.  No cheating.

No Snacking.

Down 47.2 lbs.

Do you exercise ?

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

To help me get a handle on this I sat down with a spreadsheet and used MyFitnessPal for a bit.

I’m allowing carbs but only in the form of something like some jalapeño in eggs or a small bit of lettuce as a carrier for burger patties.

Main thing is striving for a gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight and letting fat fill in the rest of my calories. As long as I hit my protein goal everything else seems to fall into place.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

It’s mostly for tracking fat:protein ratio.

I’m curious what, if any, difference I notice between a 70%:30% ratio and a 80%:20% ratio.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By tluxtele:

To help me get a handle on this I sat down with a spreadsheet and used MyFitnessPal for a bit.

I’m allowing carbs but only in the form of something like some jalapeño in eggs or a small bit of lettuce as a carrier for burger patties.

Main thing is striving for a gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight and letting fat fill in the rest of my calories. As long as I hit my protein goal everything else seems to fall into place.
View All Quotes

Does that app give any red flags or unsolicited advice regarding your fat content?

I imagine the vast majority of those apps view a diet with 70%-80% fat as being detrimental to weight loss.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Hill_monkey:

Been fairly strict with this diet since 01/01 but have had a handful of "cheat" meals.

It's weird and I don't know the science behind it but I think that's pretty accurate, for me anyways.
View Quote
I don't think it's all that hard.  You are in caloric deficit. All these diets are really just basic calories in and out. Low carbs/carnivore just hacks your blood sugar cycle so you don't feel hungry. It's a drop in BS that triggers hunger. If your BS never spikes, it doesn't have big drops. It's pretty basic and it works.  

You're still just eating less, it's just easier because you don't feel hungry.

Your bodies only priority is survival. So when it sees less calories it does its best to conserve energy.  If you stay very strict over a longer period and your calorie intake is very low, your metabolism will drop.  Cheating on occasion resets that process a little and can help you continue to lose weight or break a stall when you return to restriction.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Does that app give any red flags or unsolicited advice regarding your fat content?

I imagine the vast majority of those apps view a diet with 70%-80% fat as being detrimental to weight loss.
View All Quotes

Mostly I'm curious about the fat:protein ratio.

I'm allowing carbs but only in the form of something like some jalape o in eggs or a small bit of lettuce as a carrier for burger patties.

MFP does not offer advice other than:  "If every day were like today...   You'd weigh xxx lbs in 5 weeks".  I use the free version.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I have used the app "loose it" it will ask for some goals in the beginning but doesn't give much other feedback. It will occasional say something like we noticed a trend when you eat ribeye steaks you loose more weight (if you update your weight).

I used it to track macros and it does that quite well.

Haven't used it in some time so things could have potentially changed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Curious why people track things on carnivore.  Not being sardonic or insinuating it’s wrong, but carnivore really is just stupid easy:

Eat meat, butter, eggs.

Eat until not hungry, don’t eat until stuffed.

Feeling tired or lethargic - add fat

Bubble guts and nasty shits - reduce fat

Pretty much all it is.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Big congrats to all posters, esp. those who are making gains (losses).  

Very inspirational.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Curious why people track things on carnivore.  Not being sardonic or insinuating it’s wrong, but carnivore really is just stupid easy:

Eat meat, butter, eggs.

Pretty much all it is.
View Quote

Curiosity... Wanted to see the difference between 40%-60%-80% calories from fat.

But after all this time I have learned to just eat meat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. Your body will naturally find its ideal weight.

For reference I went from 275 - 197 in about a year ( normal weight according to BMI)
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Eat meat, butter, eggs.

Pretty much all it is.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Trying-the-carnivore-diet-already-seeing-results-after-only-ten-days-/5-2698971/&page=16#i108295433

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Trying-the-carnivore-diet-already-seeing-results-after-only-ten-days-/5-2698971/&page=16#i108313480

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToxicMasculinity] [#48]
There is no reason to cheat. In fact the only cheating that is done is cheating yourself out of being in an optimal condition. We didn't evolve to have junk foods occasionally to balance our hormones or anything. There is no such thing as essential junk food.

There are so many variables for why weight loss could slow or stall, and a lot of them are temporary. When people start eating way less than they should be, that's the no 1 reason the metabolism slows down. So if this happens you should actually eat more.

A person could also be gaining muscle. This is why the scale isn't really useful. You guys are doing some strength training, right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been slowly working towards a full cut to the carnivore diet and will go all in next week as planned. The only damn issue is spring break. My wife's plan will screw it up a little (camping down in Ocala and hitting a couple breweries, but active with kayaking and biking), but I can mitigate it some. My wife is adjusting oaky to our separate diets for the most part and the biggest advantage is I get more seafood in my diet (she just doesn't do any seafood). I've got to do a full cut of beer and tree nuts out of my diet (which aren't much), so I'm about 80-90% carnivore right now on my current diet as I avoid sugars, processed foods, and really don't eat many carbs...but I've found them in some things I can do with carb-free substitutes.

Just a question for those who've been on it. What kinds of cheeses are you adding into your diet? I've replaced carbs and vegies for "brunch" with a little cottage cheese and some slices of cheddar, brie, and gouda.

I was only going to do four weeks but will extend it another four after our spring break. My goal is to lose 15-20 pounds before slowly adding in a few veggies, fruits, and nuts...but I'm enjoying the diet as is for being almost completely carnivore. I also want to strive to contain my eating time to 6-8 hours...secondary goal.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
I've been slowly working towards a full cut to the carnivore diet and will go all in next week as planned. The only damn issue is spring break. My wife's plan will screw it up a little (camping down in Ocala and hitting a couple breweries, but active with kayaking and biking), but I can mitigate it some. My wife is adjusting oaky to our separate diets for the most part and the biggest advantage is I get more seafood in my diet (she just doesn't do any seafood). I've got to do a full cut of beer and tree nuts out of my diet (which aren't much), so I'm about 80-90% carnivore right now on my current diet as I avoid sugars, processed foods, and really don't eat many carbs...but I've found them in some things I can do with carb-free substitutes.

Just a question for those who've been on it. What kinds of cheeses are you adding into your diet? I've replaced carbs and vegies for "brunch" with a little cottage cheese and some slices of cheddar, brie, and gouda.

I was only going to do four weeks but will extend it another four after our spring break. My goal is to lose 15-20 pounds before slowly adding in a few veggies, fruits, and nuts...but I'm enjoying the diet as is for being almost completely carnivore. I also want to strive to contain my eating time to 6-8 hours...secondary goal.

ROCK6
View Quote

I do not include cheese.  I did before but it had a nasty impact on my gut.  Bound me up quite quickly.
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top