Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know it's bad when horrible freight makes better products than Sears, no wonder they are going the way of the dodo bird.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure Craftsman is Better than horrible freight.  But this is GD and the horrible freight fan boys will be along shortly.
The Craftsman boxes are made of much thinner metal.
You know it's bad when horrible freight makes better products than Sears, no wonder they are going the way of the dodo bird.
Sears doesn’t own Craftsman anymore. Stanley bought the brand and they made a deal with Lowe’s to sell them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking very seriously at getting one of these to put in my service truck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Now, this was one of their cheaper boxes and I have moved twice with it fully loaded..

I got this one at menards, was a closeout but the steel seems to be better gauge and the book said it's made in USA

Even have a vise to put on it
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Home Depot has an industrial 52” Husky for $898.  It does go on sale from time to time. It weighs almost 600 lbs empty and has soft close drawers.  The HF boxes are very nice, too, but they cost more.
View Quote
You get a better product with HF. Once weighed down with a modest amount of stuff (2x 40 piece impact sets) the soft close completely fail to function and the middle of the drawer sags so much it rubs. The HF drawers are rated for more weight iirc by the book.

I wish HF would come out with a modern home repair guy with a power tool top to sit on the regular bottom
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not even close.  I have a craftsman top, middle and bottom ball bearing chest for about 25 years now.

I just welded together a 10' workbench using 2" x 2" square tubing and 2 harbor freight 44" bottom boxes, with a seating space in the middle.

They are much better than my 25 year old craftsman.   The metal gauges are heavier

The bench idea was shamelessly stolen from SteveO at the Garage Journal
View Quote
can't compare craftsman of years ago to today
everything has changed and is truly craPsman now

HFT boxes are GTG
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife bought me US General tool chest for Christmas, we are still waiting on it to be delivered. I did some research and the reviews seemed to be better than the craftsman and Kobalt brands from lowes.

This one
View Quote
I bought that same cart earlier this year for $169, for the quality it was a steal!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool idea.
View Quote
I wish I could take credit, but as I said I stole the idea from SteveO at Garagejournal.com.   I am one of many people who have used his idea.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You get a better product. Once weighed down with a modest amount of stuff (2x 40 piece impact sets) the soft close completely fail to function and the middle of the drawer sags so much it runs. The HF drawers are rated for more weight iirc by the book.

I wish HF would come out with a modern home repair guy with a power tool top to sit on the regular bottom
View Quote
Maybe on the lower end boxes.  I’ve got several drawers with more weight than they’re rated for and so far they’re holding up well.  There’s a big difference between the regular Husky and the industrial grade.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The market with a lot of stuff is weird.

We had well made, high quality American made products.

We started buying a bunch of cheap, shitty, Chinese stuff.

The Amercian quality dropped, went out of business, starting getting made in a China, etc. to compete with the low prices.

Now China has started making some higher quality more expensive stuff.

Was it by chance, or a plan all along?
View Quote
Could be.

Whenever I can, I buy American Made. Most of my Craftsman tools as well as my Craftsman roll away tool boxes are Made in USA. All my Craftsman stuff was purchased in the late '90s to around the mid '00s.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Craftsman at Lowe’s over Fathers Day weekend. It’s ok. Made with “global materials” ... whatever that means. Probably ChiCom shit sheet metal.

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]
And here is the trailer receivers for mounting accessories.   I have a metal plate welded to 2 solid 1 1/4” hitches with my bench vice mounted to it.   I have a separate one for my bench grinder.   This allows me to get that stuff off my bench and be less cluttered when I’m not using said accessories.  I use the bench vise a handful of times a year, so why have it take up space on the corner of the bench all the time?

Attachment Attached File

I started with 2” trailer receivers but they were just so big so I downsized to 1 1/4”

Actually even my welded frame is 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” steel ( .120 thick).  I had to go with the 1.5” x 1.5” rather than the 2” because I needed the extra 2” (.5” x 4 posts) in my seating area.   I had a limited amount of space for the bench or I would block my mandoor.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw some US made Craftsman at Lowes recently. I don't know if they are any better than some of the older craftsman boxes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saw some US made Craftsman at Lowes recently. I don't know if they are any better than some of the older craftsman boxes.
View Quote
I looked at them a couple weeks ago. The drawers aren't nearly as good.

My Craftsman roll away from circa 2003 is far superior.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Just bought a new top and bottom 44" Series 2 in blue.  It's fantastic so far.

The other day at Lowe's I played with a new Craftsman one that was the equivalent of mine and it was nowhere near as good. The drawers were shit and slid horribly.  And it cost $100-150 more than regular price of what mine should have been but I had a 25% off coupon for HF.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
US General is good to go.

There are different grades of Craftsman, and they have changed over time.  Some have ball bearing slides, and some don't.  Also, the drawer hold-closed feature works differently for different boxes.  Bottom line: Look at the specific boxes.  I have both brands.  Both are good, but today, I think US General (HF) is the better value for your money, especially with a coupon.  Note that the 20% off usually excludes tool boxes; you need a coupon specific to the tool box.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have both and the Harbor Freight are 100 times better.
View Quote
Yep.

I picked up the 56" top and bottom, with the 15% off coupon, the day before Thanksgiving.

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I started with 2” trailer receivers but they were just so big so I downsized to 1 1/4”
Actually even my welded frame is 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” steel ( .120 thick).  I had to go with the 1.5” x 1.5” rather than the 2” because I needed the extra 2” (.5” x 4 posts) in my seating area.   I had a limited amount of space for the bench or I would block my mandoor.
View Quote
@Hunduh

great idea

Im doing a rolling cart/tool chest and will add these to the corners
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both. I am buying US General all day long if I need a replecement.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Not Craftsman but here's a very good video of the US General 72" box vs a comparable Husky box.

HARBOR FREIGHT KILLER?? (72" Husky -vs- US General) Home Depot -vs- Harbor Freight

It's goes in depth about the different guage steel in each.

Very informative video.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm sure Craftsman is Better than horrible freight.  But this is GD and the horrible freight fan boys will be along shortly.
View Quote
Found the guy that doesn’t know anything about HF.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not even close.  I have a craftsman top, middle and bottom ball bearing chest for about 25 years now.

I just welded together a 10’ workbench using 2” x 2” square tubing and 2 harbor freight 44” bottom boxes, with a seating space in the middle.

They are much better than my 25 year old craftsman.   The metal gauges are heavier

The bench idea was shamelessly stolen from SteveO at the Garage Journal
View Quote
Would like to see a picture of this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]
The older Craftsman GripLatch tool boxes were pretty good - they were virtually identical to the Waterloo boxes at another hardware store.  I suspect they were made by the same company, although at least some of the Craftsman boxes were made outside the USA.  However, the newer Craftsman boxes are garbage IMO.

The US General stuff has a pretty good reputation, and is certainly better than current production Craftsman stuff.

That said, I love my SnapOn box, but you pay a huge premium for them...
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know lots of people that will take an US General box over the Craftsman. The Kobalt 3000 series boxes at Lowes are pretty good
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife worked at Seas for 15 years. One of my 1st purchases was a Craftsman box. No clue on the HF boxes but the Craftsman boxes are shit. Rails come off the drawers, wheels are shit.
View Quote
Funny, . . . that shitty old Craftsman roll-away and chest combo that I've been working out of for 30+ years have never let me down.  And I'm not talking about messin' around with the Camaro in the garage, I'm talking about heavy industrial use in a manufacturing plant, with the drawers being opened and closed dozens of times a day.  Never so much as worn out a lock.  I won't talk shit about U.S. General boxes, in fact I've heard great things.  But when you say Craftsman boxes are shit, I'm gonna call you out for talking out of your ass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, that wasn't always so . . . .
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Funny, . . . that shitty old Craftsman roll-away and chest combo that I've been working out of for 30+ years have never let me down.  And I'm not talking about messin' around with the Camaro in the garage, I'm talking about heavy industrial use in a manufacturing plant, with the drawers being opened and closed dozens of times a day.  Never so much as worn out a lock.  I won't talk shit about U.S. General boxes, in fact I've heard great things.  But when you say Craftsman boxes are shit, I'm gonna call you out for talking out of your ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife worked at Seas for 15 years. One of my 1st purchases was a Craftsman box. No clue on the HF boxes but the Craftsman boxes are shit. Rails come off the drawers, wheels are shit.
Several people in this thread have pointed out that Craftsman quality has gone down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Several people in this thread have pointed out that Craftsman quality has gone down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Point taken.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Point taken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Point taken.
Cool

Seriously, HF has stepped up their game on several fronts, especially tool boxes.  Their pro grade stuff is fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@Hunduh

great idea

Im doing a rolling cart/tool chest and will add these to the corners
View Quote
Here the only 24” long 1 1/4” I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GN6MRA?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

@TaylorWSO
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Would like to see a picture of this.
View Quote
Look up at the top of this page.   I posted about 5 pics

@Kier74
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#34]
This is what you seek if you want an american made, lifetime box on the cheap. 400lb drawers, great support. https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/tampa-stanley-vidmar-cabinet-new/6726415300.html
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is what you seek if you want an american made, lifetime box on the cheap. 400lb drawers, great support. https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/tampa-stanley-vidmar-cabinet-new/6726415300.html
View Quote
That looks great, seriously.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#36]
awesome setup...but i gotta ask.....why Milwaukee AND Dewalt?....why not one or the other for common batteries/chargers etc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I have my grandfather's craftsman box from 1959,it built like a tank.the harbor freight stuff I've looked at seems to be made well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The older Craftsman GripLatch tool boxes were pretty good - they were virtually identical to the Waterloo boxes at another hardware store.  I suspect they were made by the same company, although at least some of the Craftsman boxes were made outside the USA.  However, the newer Craftsman boxes are garbage IMO.

The US General stuff has a pretty good reputation, and is certainly better than current production Craftsman stuff.

That said, I love my SnapOn box, but you pay a huge premium for them...
View Quote
I have a Snap-On, Cornwell, and Craftsman Grip Latch box. I like the Cornwell the most, followed by the Snap-On and Craftsman in a pretty close 2nd. The thing which knocks the Snap-On down a lot in my book is that the latching mechanism is set up for right handed people, and I'm left handed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Disregard the above advice unless you have great impulse control or deep pockets.

GarageJournal has been by far the most expensive thing to ever happen to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go check out the many, many, many threads over at Garage Journal.

That place is the ArfCom of garage shit and they seem to like it.
Disregard the above advice unless you have great impulse control or deep pockets.

I have deep pockets and amazingly shitty impulse control @Atomic_Ferret, but fortunately Garage Journal hasn't put the bite on me yet.  Unfortunately it's because I check r/gundeals on Reddit every morning when I wake up and a few times at work.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

this

I had craftsman, but now I have 2 huge listas, and two HF (benchtop and the 44 like above).

the HF is amazing for the price. Its way ahead of craftsman by light years. Its amazing smooth and heavier built. It also has better handles and comes with liners.

Its not as good as my lista, but for the price I would buy it all day long

my new pats storage

https://i.imgur.com/S7VLpSO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/59IgI9I.jpg
View Quote
Dangit @TaylorWSO, now I want to do a "Show Me Your Gun Toolbox" thread...

Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I now own both Craftsman and Harbor Freight toolboxes.  My craftsman box is shit compared to the hf.  Craftsman used to make adequate tool boxes

in the 70s.  Got rid of them when I joined the military.  Dumbass mistake.  Their chests made now are whimpy.  Drawers bend with modest weight in them.

HF drawers withstand substantial weight and open and close smoothly. I'd buy the hf again.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#43]
My craftsman box I bought in 2001 has been a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have deep pockets and amazingly shitty impulse control @Atomic_Ferret, but fortunately Garage Journal hasn't put the bite on me yet.  Unfortunately it's because I check r/gundeals on Reddit every morning when I wake up and a few times at work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wound up doubling the square footage of my house because of Garage Journal.
Everybody needs a 1,500sqft house with a 1,500sqft shop attached to it right?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was actually happy with my garage until I found that place.  Now I feel like I need scissor lifts and a small loft above the work are.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Looks like a great box for $200.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you know how I know that you don't know shit about toolboxes?  You don't own one of either do you?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the US General Pro Grade. I'm guessing they renamed thier professional line "Series 2"?

Anyway I really like it. It's held up very well. It's very sturdy and the roller bearing drawers.are very smooth. I'd definitely buy one again.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Craftsman had different tiers of boxes, their high end was a bit nicer than the hf boxes but cost more than twice as much and I thought the layouts were lacking.  Entry line was always junk.  I was looking at them hard when my local Sears was closing but they never got cheap enough.

The hf boxes are great for the money and arguably the best value going for boxes nice enough for heavy home use.

The entry level craftsman stuff they now have in my Lowe's stores are junk like entry level craftsman boxes have always been, will be interesting to see if they start adding nicer lines.  I think they are making a mistake rolling out the shit lines first.  Some casual guys that still trust the name are going to buy that shit and boom there goes another group of customers burnt.

I ended up going with the higher end husky stuff only due to clearance deals.  If not for that I'd have hf boxes for sure.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top