BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have to pay those US citizens for that land.

You cannot use seized money from the DoJ for that purpose.
View Quote
No you don't. Theres already a easement along the border.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was referring to using eminent domain.  That implies private ownership.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Only a small number of miles in Texas would need to be acquired via eminent domain. There already exists a right-of-way from the pacific ocean to Texas which includes all public land adjoining the Rio Grand river. Excluded from the reservation are lands already legally deeded in 1907 when the proclamation was made.

Areas along the Rio Grande in Texas which were privately held prior to 1907, don't already have a wall, and aren't a natural barrier due to terrain are fairly small. Most of that acreage is held in large tracts by huge ranches and trusts. Additionally, the fair market value of that land (which is how eminent domain condemnations are valued) is very low due to the scrubland nature of the property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eminent domain. for the public good. we are allowed to build protective devices separating countries right?
Only a small number of miles in Texas would need to be acquired via eminent domain. There already exists a right-of-way from the pacific ocean to Texas which includes all public land adjoining the Rio Grand river. Excluded from the reservation are lands already legally deeded in 1907 when the proclamation was made.

Areas along the Rio Grande in Texas which were privately held prior to 1907, don't already have a wall, and aren't a natural barrier due to terrain are fairly small. Most of that acreage is held in large tracts by huge ranches and trusts. Additionally, the fair market value of that land (which is how eminent domain condemnations are valued) is very low due to the scrubland nature of the property.
Alrighty then! Build the fookin' wall.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They won't. The argument will be made that these seizures always go to law enforcement programs and they rely on it. So if Trump takes it he will be "stealing from law enforcement" and hampering "efforts against crime" or some bullshit.

And my "law enforcement programs" I mean fake programs made up with  friends and family put in as managers that draw massive salaries.
A wall would be a law enforcement tool. border patrol and ICE said they want one.
Seized money in this case would go to the DoJ and would be managed by the US Marshal service.

Border Patrol and ICE do not fall under the DoJ.
but they are a LE service. Gifting. the AG can gift a wall.
No.  A wall is not a Law Enforcement activity.

And no, the AG cannot gift money to another Department, if the activities it funds do not fall within the parameters of the law.

It could fund DoJ correctional facilities, but not DHS detention facilities.
Also the CFR definition of "equipment" excludes "real property" - i.e. buildings / real estate / etc.
Build it in removable sections.
Build it where?   On whose property?
Eminent domain. for the public good. we are allowed to build protective devices separating countries right?

See above post.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like an overly simplistic proposal, but I wonder what the process actually is for deciding how to spend assets forfeited to the federal government.

And I don't think Nancy Pelosi or Trump gets to just dictate how to spend it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
See above post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They won't. The argument will be made that these seizures always go to law enforcement programs and they rely on it. So if Trump takes it he will be "stealing from law enforcement" and hampering "efforts against crime" or some bullshit.

And my "law enforcement programs" I mean fake programs made up with  friends and family put in as managers that draw massive salaries.
A wall would be a law enforcement tool. border patrol and ICE said they want one.
Seized money in this case would go to the DoJ and would be managed by the US Marshal service.

Border Patrol and ICE do not fall under the DoJ.
but they are a LE service. Gifting. the AG can gift a wall.
No.  A wall is not a Law Enforcement activity.

And no, the AG cannot gift money to another Department, if the activities it funds do not fall within the parameters of the law.

It could fund DoJ correctional facilities, but not DHS detention facilities.
Also the CFR definition of "equipment" excludes "real property" - i.e. buildings / real estate / etc.
Build it in removable sections.
Build it where?   On whose property?

See above post.
Then we are back to the same reality...

The AG cannot gift the DoJ money to DHS or DoD or the Dept of the Interior to build a wall.  That would be against the current law.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Mexico is paying for the wall.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seems like an overly simplistic proposal, but I wonder what the process actually is for deciding how to spend assets forfeited to the federal government.

And I don't think Nancy Pelosi or Trump gets to just dictate how to spend it.
View Quote
This wouldn't be the first big seizure.

Normally, the Attorney General decides how to spend those funds.  When there's a ton of cash, Congress can step in and direct the funds.  
Trump's DoJ certainly has the authority to spend any seized funds on a border wall.  Congress, or a judge, could step in and stop him.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The AG cannot gift the DoJ money to DHS or DoD or the Dept of the Interior to build a wall.  That would be against the current law.
View Quote
Can't they use it to fight against drugs, i.e. build a wall to help with drug traffic flow?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can't they use it to fight against drugs, i.e. build a wall to help with drug traffic flow?
View Quote
Yes, they can.  Only Congress or the courts could stop them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
This was the first thing I said when he was shown on the national news last night.

Mexico builds the wall.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how long before a few "anonymous" find their way into some bank accounts and then el Chapo mysteriously finds his way out of Prison.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Building a wall on the border is not considered a DoJ LE activity.

Wrong department, and a wall is not an activity.

Read the Law.  Then comment.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let alone terrorism, sex slave-trafficking, etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I like those ideas. I'd be the greasy fed who would offer chalk freedom in exchange for wall money and agreement to retire.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top