Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2024 4:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch]

I was maybe 500 yards back in the full stop. Probably a minute or so from being a witness.   Your turn China! Better photos in link.

(Zoomed in cell phone camera through heat distortion,  the dump bed isn't crinkled)

https://www.12onyourside.com/2024/09/05/tractor-trailer-driver-charged-after-crash-shuts-down-part-i-64/

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Truck smashes into overhead highway sign despite warnings

Dump truck slams into overpass on Interstate 66 in Virginia

Dump truck hits bridge on Augusta road over I-20
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Was he drinking or just stupid?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
In .gif please!   lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Happened here during COVID
Shut down 1 of the 2 lanes on bridge for year+

Dumbass drivers shouldn't hold CDL again
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Does this happen a lot?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/1000001006-3314136.jpg

I was maybe 500 yards back in the full stop. Probably a minute or so from being a witness.   Your turn China! Better photos in link.

(Zoomed in cell phone camera through heat distortion,  the dump bed isn't crinkled)

https://www.12onyourside.com/2024/09/05/tractor-trailer-driver-charged-after-crash-shuts-down-part-i-64/

View Quote

Lol saw this was 64
This happened just last month here
https://www.wave3.com/2024/08/15/all-lanes-i-64-west-near-simpsonville-estimated-be-closed-10-hours-due-crash/
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
That happened in Richmond, KY a few years back with a roll off dumpster driving through town with the hoist fully raised.  It met a pedestrian overpass and came to an abrupt stop.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brownbomber:
Does this happen a lot?
View Quote

It appears that it happens more than I thought.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Does this happen a lot?

About two weeks ago in Pittsburgh .   Destroyed an abandoned railroad bridge.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Does this happen a lot?
View Quote

It would appear impacts are on the rise.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#12]
A dump truck driver did that to the 5KV lines in one of our plants. It was sparktacular.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Any time the PTO cable or lever is in the engaged position, red lights and alarm at full volume minimum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I work on large highway projects, this happens a lot more than you would think.  Only explanation I can come up with is that truck drivers, especially dump truck drivers, are fucking retarded.

In before the one dudeā€™s mom with the bad knees.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a dump truck driver load up an excavator on the trailer (like he'd been taught) but he kept the boom too high and didn't check his height.  Smacked an overpass on I-94 in Detroit.  I can't remember how much insurance had to pay for that. . . I may have blocked it out.  Sorry if he royally screwed up anyones commute home that afternoon.  Fired him.  With automatic transmissions getting much more popular in dump trucks and semi's you're going to see this happen much more often.  The skill level of truck drivers has been dropped significantly since they only have to be able to drive, not actually operate a truck.  There's a difference.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Traffic over here has been a nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Didnā€™t this happen a few years ago on the same stretch of 64?  The whole thing came down and killed a couple of guys in a truck behind, I think.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Irony: I was talking to another arfcommer this morning who was stuck behind that same mess as OP.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL fucking annoying noise for not wearing a seat belt, but can't come up with some kind of alarm for the truck bed being up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
That shit was always on my mind when I drove a jetter vac. I always bunnies down the hydraulic handle so it couldn't go into the up position.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Classic, absolutely classic.

We did one of those for an HPI class.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By a390st:
That happened in Richmond, KY a few years back with a roll off dumpster driving through town with the hoist fully raised. Ā It met a pedestrian overpass and came to an abrupt stop.
View Quote

That happened in Richmond, KY about 20 years ago on I-75/northern exit. Dump hit the overpass fully raised.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Top notch idiot.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
I had a dump truck driver load up an excavator on the trailer (like he'd been taught) but he kept the boom too high and didn't check his height. Ā Smacked an overpass on I-94 in Detroit. Ā I can't remember how much insurance had to pay for that. . . I may have blocked it out. Ā Sorry if he royally screwed up anyones commute home that afternoon. Ā Fired him. Ā With automatic transmissions getting much more popular in dump trucks and semi's you're going to see this happen much more often. Ā The skill level of truck drivers has been dropped significantly since they only have to be able to drive, not actually operate a truck. Ā There's a difference.
View Quote

We had that happen locally.  The backhoe broke loose and killed the people in the car behind it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Why couldn't I be behind that guy, I need a new windshield.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#28]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LowBeta] [#29]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:

That happened in Richmond, KY about 20 years ago on I-75/northern exit. Dump hit the overpass fully raised.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Originally Posted By a390st:
That happened in Richmond, KY a few years back with a roll off dumpster driving through town with the hoist fully raised. Ā It met a pedestrian overpass and came to an abrupt stop.

That might have been the one we did in class. Killed a cyclist or pedestrian on the bridge.

eta
The story was they bypassed the hoist-up alarm because it went off whenever they moved the truck around at the dump
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#30]
Finally on a real computer and not on a phone.  My original pic was a lot poorer quality than I thought.

They've begun to lower it here, or it naturally bent down after a while.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#31]
One observation I had is that everyone who exited their car was awesome, I probably talked to 15 people.  Even those stressed about missing an appointment were dealing with it and moving on.  It was a nice day and the comedy of the situation might have had something to do with it.  Perhaps the ranters and Karens stayed in their cars (~2 hours before a forced 180 and driving on the wrong side back to the nearest exit).  VSP, VDOT, the local LE and even the retired patrol were all either good or at minimum business like, no douchebaggery.  No injuries might have had something to do with the lowered angst among responders.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Does this happen a lot?
View Quote
It just happened a week or two ago, I can't remember where though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#33]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Does this happen a lot?

Nationwide competency crisis.

Reminds me of that that song.    ā€œRetards East of Richmondā€.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By justsayin:
You'd think there'd be an indicator in the cab, or something.....

Must be too complicated.
View Quote

Is there some reason why a cable can't run from the front of the bed, over the hood, and into a winch, so that when the bed is raised, the cable pulls an orange mesh screen over the hood and windshield (kinda like a roll-up window blind)?  The driver could still see through it to navigate, but it would be (I hope) an obvious indicator.

Maybe there's a reason why not.  If so, please say.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#37]
That OP could have had easier to predict search terms...  Boo!
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Coming home this evening, we saw part of the sign still there. 3 lanes down to 1. About a six mile or so backup. This was around 6ish. Couldn't see but so much due to the median.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:34:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#39]
Originally Posted By weaselrunner4:
Coming home this evening, we saw part of the sign still there. 3 lanes down to 1. About a six mile or so backup. This was around 6ish. Couldn't see but so much due to the median.
View Quote
Dayum, I just checked my phone and I took my first pic at 9:44am.

That is a pretty important sign, so I wonder if they are going all out until it's back up (or a proxy is set up).
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#40]
Originally Posted By HunterFisher:
Was he drinking or just stupid?
View Quote
bed's travel lock not engaged?
most of the time the bed is just held down by gravity
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I drive that route every morning I was off today glad I missed that mess.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
LOL fucking annoying noise for not wearing a seat belt, but can't come up with some kind of alarm for the truck bed being up.
View Quote

Most have both a visual and audible alarm.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Palm:

We had that happen locally. Ā The backhoe broke loose and killed the people in the car behind it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Palm:
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:
I had a dump truck driver load up an excavator on the trailer (like he'd been taught) but he kept the boom too high and didn't check his height. Ā Smacked an overpass on I-94 in Detroit. Ā I can't remember how much insurance had to pay for that. . . I may have blocked it out. Ā Sorry if he royally screwed up anyones commute home that afternoon. Ā Fired him. Ā With automatic transmissions getting much more popular in dump trucks and semi's you're going to see this happen much more often. Ā The skill level of truck drivers has been dropped significantly since they only have to be able to drive, not actually operate a truck. Ā There's a difference.

We had that happen locally. Ā The backhoe broke loose and killed the people in the car behind it.

The excavator needed a new stick but luckily everything stayed on the trailer and nobody was injured.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Trucks we had were all older , no alarms . You might notice more light in the cab from the back window when the box is up on a tandem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Non English speaking/reading illegals?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
View Quote
Negative, per local news it's: "Richard D. Houston Jr."

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

The ā€œDā€ stands for dumbass
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#48]

First thing that came to mind.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#49]
We had an overpass on an expressway that was closed for replacement near where I used to work.  They had numerous problems and delays which caused quite a bit of frustration with the locals as it was a huge pain in the ass to get from one side of the expressway to the other in this area without it.

Anyway after about a year, it was opened much to the relief of the locals and everyone was happy again.  About a week later, some dumbass came barreling down the expressway with a crane on a lowboy and didn't have the boom all the way down.  The boom was like a battering ram and took out every pre cast beam on one side of the overpass.  The locals wanted to string him up.  Overpass was closed for several more months as they had to demo half of the overpass and start again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Does this happen a lot?
View Quote

Yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top