Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2018 8:06:01 PM EDT
We have a little place in the VA mountains in a May berry type town. Cop was actually surprised since there is like ZERO crime in this town.

We only go there a few times a year.

Any advice on a security setup. We dont have internet there currently but have good cell phone reception.

UPDATE:

Cops put cameras in the place and 5 individuals came back and were identified. They dont even know it yet

I will update as more info comes out
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Simplisafe
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simplisafe
View Quote
This... And an armed drone... Or those 12ga tripwire devices!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We have a little place in the VA mountains in a May berry type town. Cop was actually surprised since there is like ZERO crime in this town.

Any advice on a security setup. We dont have internet there currently but have good cell phone reception.
View Quote
There are trail cameras that use a cell signal to transmit video/photos. Requires a monthly usage fee and the unit itself isn't cheap. Might be worth getting a quote for a whole-house security system, depending what you're wanting to spend and how valuable the stuff you keep there is.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
what did they take?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Offer the neighbors money to watch the place (stop breaking in).

Seriously.

Its always the locals who know who the seasonal resident are doing the thieving.

Friends parents had a hunting property with a trailer home on it. Shit was always getting stolen or broke in and trashed.  Eventually they told one of the young men that lived close by they would give him $50 for every month nobody vandalized their trailer/cut down their trees/stole their stuff.  Problem was solved. He might not have been the one doing it. But anyone else doing it would have been taking money out of his pocket so the shit stopped.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My parents had a cabin in the mountains in SoCal.
Starting in the late 70's it would get broken into 1-3 times a year.
It had a "mud room" that was separated by locked doors from the rest of the house.
My dad started to leave the front door to the mud room unlocked with a couple of blankets and some food and beer in a box outside of the front door and a note that basically said "No money, guns or jewelry inside of the house. Please don't break the glass or kick in the door, it's expensive to replace the glass and the door jambs. take what you need and leave something for someone else."

After that no one ever broke into the house.

In the mid 80's my dad finally broke down and paid for a "rent-a-cop" service and an alarm system.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Burglarbomb.com
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what did they take?
View Quote
Nothing of great value, TV Blue ray player, tools and a bunch of smaller items. We dont keep any valuables there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
We hid some motion detector cameras for a client after they'd had some break-ins at a corporate cabin up at a rather large lake resort in northeast Oklahoma.

Apparently, one of the execs wasn't notified because the first video they got wasn't burglars...it was a VP getting a blowjob from his secretary on a weekday when they were supposed to be out of town at a conference.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Landmines are illegal...how remote are we talking, though?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We hid some motion detector cameras for a client after they'd had some break-ins at a corporate cabin up at a rather large lake resort in northeast Oklahoma.

Apparently, one of the execs wasn't notified because the first video they got wasn't burglars...it was a VP getting a blowjob from his secretary on a weekday when they were supposed to be out of town at a conference.
View Quote
oops
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Im using hidden trail cameras for the past 2 years until i finally buy a real system.

No internet here either,just verizon network when im home.

So far only 2 hunters wondering onto my property and a shit load of wildlife

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im using hidden trail cameras for the past 2 years until i finally buy a real system.

No internet here either,just verizon network when im home.

So far only 2 hunters wondering onto my property and a shit load of wildlife

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/230954/WGI_0355_JPG-706577.JPG
View Quote
you like rhodies?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
This would be a much better story with pics of the secretary............    
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
And, get used to not keeping anything of value there. It sucks, but it is reality. Or, insure it well which costs a lot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Burglarbomb.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burglarbomb.com
Havnt seen that one

I was thinking https://www.minntrapprod.com/AFT-6-Bear-Trap/productinfo/AFT6/

but still pissed so might not be a good idea
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Cradlepoint router with ATT or VZW air card & wyze cameras. And a friendly neighbor. .
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I would use a Simplisafe system and maybe add some of their cameras. All wireless and works off cellular. $30 a month gets you monitoring and PD/Fire response.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Wireless Bushnell
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, talk to your neighbors. they know who did it and can stop it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Fence and trail cameras.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
poppers and wire
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Our camp used to get broken into and made a mess every few years. We stopped locking the place and put a sign on the door. Stating its not locked, dont bust the door. Warm blankets in the closet, wood in the wood shed... Never got fucked up again. We even got a thank you note once from someone who broke down or got in the ditch up in the national forest during the winter and had spent the night there because he would have froze to death.

Mind you this was in the 80s.. People living in outer bum fuck would have called this area outer bum fuck. The town consisted of a general store gas station (that burned down) a bar and the "post office" was on someones back porch. The nearest hospital was hours away.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a remote farm.  I have a 4 camera security system set up and it is connected to the internet via a Verizon Hotspot.

I already had an unlimited data plan so the additional hotspot only cost 20 bucks a month.

I can remote view on my computer and phone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Surprise!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Whatever you do, DON'T leave a baggie of Fentanyl laced Meth on the counter.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Serious answer...

Make it suck to get there.

People hate walking and having to carry things a long way.  Thus...a big ass gate with a big ass chain and a cut proof lock plus a real barbed wire fence or similar.  No vehicle access near the front door means you have to walk...which sucks for theives.

Then, put metal strips on all the door jambs via 4 inch drywall screws plus serious deadbolts.  Make one go into the floor if you feel up to it.

Then...a LOUD alarm.

Signage...add something about dogs, sewage, waste water contamination, "don't get this on your skin"...and so on.

That's a start.  You can do more if you need, but that's the basic answer.  It won't stop everyone, but it makes it a pain.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#28]
5 individuals identified.

They actually came back and got photoed by the police hidden cameras
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Book 'em Dano.

Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
5 huh.. might solve a lot of unsolved crimes for the area.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice. Here they would just shut and fill out something to file. Same if they happened to catch someone.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Day 1
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

UPDATE:

Cops put cameras in the place and 5 individuals came back and were identified. They dont even know it yet

View Quote
anywhere near New Castle?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a remote farm.  I have a 4 camera security system set up and it is connected to the internet via a Verizon Hotspot.

I already had an unlimited data plan so the additional hotspot only cost 20 bucks a month.

I can remote view on my computer and phone.
View Quote
What system do you have?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPDATE:

Im 80 miles ish south of that
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

5 huh.. might solve a lot of unsolved crimes for the area.
View Quote
yup

Its a tiny town so 5 troublemakers getting caught.

Im getting stupid with the security up there now. Place sat there for years and no issues at all.

After something like that it makes one a little paranoid. Especially with a wife and a 2 year old.

Ill be putting up cameras. lights and my own little special surprises.

Im open for suggestion as well
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Serious answer...

Make it suck to get there.

People hate walking and having to carry things a long way.  Thus...a big ass gate with a big ass chain and a cut proof lock plus a real barbed wire fence or similar.  No vehicle access near the front door means you have to walk...which sucks for theives.

Then, put metal strips on all the door jambs via 4 inch drywall screws plus serious deadbolts.  Make one go into the floor if you feel up to it.

Then...a LOUD alarm.

Signage...add something about dogs, sewage, waste water contamination, "don't get this on your skin"...and so on.

That's a start.  You can do more if you need, but that's the basic answer.  It won't stop everyone, but it makes it a pain.
View Quote
"You're never going to make your house impossible to break into, you just have to make it more difficult than the neighbors"
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oops!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Aliens" Sentry Guns Scenes
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

yup

Its a tiny town so 5 troublemakers getting caught.

Im getting stupid with the security up there now. Place sat there for years and no issues at all.

After something like that it makes one a little paranoid. Especially with a wife and a 2 year old.

Ill be putting up cameras. lights and my own little special surprises.

View Quote
im a fan of these

Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Most cellphone companies sell 4G routers. Same thing as a hotspot but wth ethernet ports and router funtionality.  That way you could get a regular camera system and plug it into a router, vs using wireless ip cams all connected to a hotspot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Lawsuit city
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was it dirty Mike and the boys?
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Need BurglarBomb for trailcams!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Lawsuit city
View Quote
Concur. Firefighters' rule.  No traps that can injure/kill someone.

Glad the police were able to ID the five culprits.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Sometimes a sign is enough to discourage a thief.
"Warning! Under remote video surveillance"
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sometimes a sign is enough to discourage a thief.
"Warning! Under remote video surveillance"
View Quote
My friend has cameras but no sign.  The damn thieves don't see the cameras and steal stuff from him.  After the 5th time he still won't take my advice to put up a big sign.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Maybe a few of these around the house

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#50]
In

Hoping to see mugshots posted up.

As far as what to do, I think OP is on the right track.

Don't keep anything so valuable in your cabin you'll be heartbroken if it's stolen.

Keep it secure, and have some hidden cameras.

In some ways hardening a cabin can simply mean you have more repair work to perform after a robbery.  I've heard of some folks who simply carry anything of real value with them when they leave the cabin and don't lock the door.  That way they don't have to repair a broken down door.

I would definitely NOT set up booby traps.  As heartwarming as it would be to see a thief experience some instant justice, it's going to result in charges against the property owner.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top