Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I had the money, I'd print that photo on to thousands of shirts and hand them out to every dude driving into the VA that day.
View Quote

Can I subscribe to your newsletter?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did you notify the VA within 3 days of going to that ER?
View Quote

Did you miss the part where the VA is the one that told me to report to the ER?

Luckily I had good private insurance that covered it. But that's not the point. I have care through the VA, they saw me for a condition, they later told me to immediately go to an ER because of the condition, then waited 2 years to say they're not covering it.  

The VA should have paid for it. Period.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You remember right. She wasn't into it. IMO it's one of those things that shouldn't have happened, but at the same time it's a symbol of the end of the war.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC the nurse described it as a sexual assault when interviewed about it.  Didn't ruin her life or anything, but she wasn't happy about it.  I'm not oversensitive, but if that's the case it probably shouldn't be used for decoration.

You remember right. She wasn't into it. IMO it's one of those things that shouldn't have happened, but at the same time it's a symbol of the end of the war.

Seems like she thought it was a nothingburger and nothing to get excited about.

Friedman was a 21-year-old dental assistant, out in Times Square when news of the war’s end broke. George Mendonsa, who in 2015 confirmed he was the man in the photo, saw Friedman for the first time, spun her around and kissed her.

“It wasn’t that much of a kiss,” Friedman, who came forward as the woman in the photo years later, said in a 2005 interview with the Veterans History Project. “It was just somebody celebrating. It wasn’t a romantic event.”              

https://time.com/4486812/wwii-kiss-photo-vj-day/

V-J Day in Times Square became iconic and was viewed popularly as a romantic photograph taken during the 1945 victory celebrations. As she adapted to that interpretation of what she acknowledged as not consensual, Friedman expressed mixed feelings about it decades later.[7] In 2005, during an interview at the Library of Congress Friedman stated, "it wasn't my choice to be kissed. The guy just came over and kissed or grabbed."[9] and "I was grabbed by a sailor and it wasn't that much of a kiss, it was more of a jubilant act that he didn't have to go back, I found out later, he was so happy that he did not have to go back to the Pacific where they already had been through the war. And the reason he grabbed someone dressed like a nurse was that he just felt very grateful to nurses who took care of the wounded."[9]

She went on to say, "I felt he was very strong, he was just holding me tight, and I'm not sure I -- about the kiss because, you know, it was just somebody really celebrating. But it wasn't a romantic event. It was just an event of thank God the war is over kind of thing

Although it was neither planned nor consensual, I don't get the feeling that she considered it assault or traumatic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How easily people forget the horrors those men and women saw, and such a small gesture noting that it was all over is nothing.  

Its easy to constantly look at the past through the lens of today's bullshit, but requires actual maturity to realize things were different back then and don't apply to today.  

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are sickos running this government.
View Quote

The whole thing needs to come down and started over, to be completely managed by farmers, shop owners, zoo keepers and veterans.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It’s looking more and more like we lost the Cold War.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Over the horizon lies a monster. A mass of citizens containing a number of veterans who are well armed and equipped. A coiled spring under tremendous pressure waiting to be let loose. They will wreak a vengeance to an extent probably unparalled in human history. And when that day comes, it will be the longest day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Luckily I had good private insurance that covered it. But that's not the point. I have care through the VA, they saw me for a condition, they later told me to immediately go to an ER because of the condition, then waited 2 years to say they're not covering it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you notify the VA within 3 days of going to that ER?

No, I caught that part.
VA policy is you have to notify them AFTER too. That's why I asked that specific question, did you miss that part? They should have told you this, and yes, they should have covered it- but what you describe isn't community care and at the end of they day you didn't follow their policy as stupid as it may be.

Don't get snippy with me because I'm the one pointing this out. As someone that's used community care multiple times, it's fucking fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Although it was neither planned nor consensual, I don't get the feeling that she considered it assault or traumatic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC the nurse described it as a sexual assault when interviewed about it.  Didn't ruin her life or anything, but she wasn't happy about it.  I'm not oversensitive, but if that's the case it probably shouldn't be used for decoration.

Friedman was a 21-year-old dental assistant, out in Times Square when news of the war's end broke. George Mendonsa, who in 2015 confirmed he was the man in the photo, saw Friedman for the first time, spun her around and kissed her.

"It wasn't that much of a kiss," Friedman, who came forward as the woman in the photo years later, said in a 2005 interview with the Veterans History Project. "It was just somebody celebrating. It wasn't a romantic event."              

V-J Day in Times Square became iconic and was viewed popularly as a romantic photograph taken during the 1945 victory celebrations. As she adapted to that interpretation of what she acknowledged as not consensual, Friedman expressed mixed feelings about it decades later.[7] In 2005, during an interview at the Library of Congress Friedman stated, "it wasn't my choice to be kissed. The guy just came over and kissed or grabbed."[9] and "I was grabbed by a sailor and it wasn't that much of a kiss, it was more of a jubilant act that he didn't have to go back, I found out later, he was so happy that he did not have to go back to the Pacific where they already had been through the war. And the reason he grabbed someone dressed like a nurse was that he just felt very grateful to nurses who took care of the wounded."[9]

She went on to say, "I felt he was very strong, he was just holding me tight, and I'm not sure I -- about the kiss because, you know, it was just somebody really celebrating. But it wasn't a romantic event. It was just an event of thank God the war is over kind of thing

Agreed, I didn't mean to suggest it was.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They make up a startling number of Airmen in Mission Support units for sure. The telltale sign is always their PCS record with numerous expedited transfers.

For those that don’t know, when you’re the victim of a sexually related offense the DoD will give you an expedited transfer, or “ET”. It’s becoming common to see females with multiple ET’s.

View Quote

Disregard, deleted. I understand the ET intent, but the multiple part gives me trouble.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Erasing history one piece at a time.
INGSOC
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL

In the next breath, “why can’t the military reach its recruiting goals?”
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
They must have interviewed the kiss recipient and discovered it was non-consensual.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Same lady was in charge at the Phoenix VA when they killed all those vets.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]
She was a dental assistant, not a nurse.

She was surprised by a kiss from the unknown sailor.

The actual photo was posed.  The photographer witnessed the first kiss and asked them to reproduce it.  They both consented and he took several posed shots.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw this the other day at a non-VA Doctor's office.

Lets all hold hands to stop the flu. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I can sort of understand the VAs opinion.  I would just put up a VJ Day photo of a mushroom cloud or two.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck the VA
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]
They are replacing it with this photo.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Rimann O. Nelson..

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#27]
the VA is terrible last time I went there they schooled me on my pronouns

I’m still paying out of pocket for everything bc they said my injuries that happened on active duty aren’t service connected
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It was most likely reported by some 100% disabled female Air Force vet that did 2.5 years of her 4 year enlistment and picked up wounded warrior status from all the alleged rapes she endured in the barracks.
View Quote

Meh....I am going with something that regrets they chopped off a body part and that would never happen to them....either way the woke mob.....gets another notch on the  "____"...
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

*Leftists weren't gonna stop with Confederate History.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I say "Fuck The VA"?

They shit on Veterans while giving Illegals quality service.

Quoted:
Good to see the VA has tackled their health service issues and are now resolving the bigger issues veterans have all be concerned with.

Quoted:
Jesus H. Christ, this bullshit needs to end.

Next we'll eliminate all historical photos and references to U.S. victories.  They may offend the descendents of the losing nation(s) due to their non-consensual end of the war.*

*Leftists weren't gonna stop with Confederate History.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#30]
THIS. WILL. FIX. ALL. THE. PROBLEMS. WITH. THE. VA.

so glad its all better now...
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is a huge statue of the scene here in San Diego on the waterfront. People love it.

I always get a kick of the Japanese tourists taking their picture in front of it.

But really, I am surprised it's still up.

https://i.ibb.co/gDh7Kpg/Screenshot-2024-03-05-074445.jpg

View Quote
Yup.  Laughs in San Diego.

ETA there is a bronze sculpture collection of Bob Hope and a bunch of WWII soldiers right next to that.  The Fish Market restaurant is quite good, as is the Midway Museum.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Jesus H. Christ, this bullshit needs to end.

Next we'll eliminate all historical photos and references to U.S. victories.  They may offend the descendents of the losing nation(s) due to their non-consensual end of the war.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, I caught that part.
VA policy is you have to notify them AFTER too. That's why I asked that specific question, did you miss that part? They should have told you this, and yes, they should have covered it- but what you describe isn't community care and at the end of they day you didn't follow their policy as stupid as it may be.

Don't get snippy with me because I'm the one pointing this out. As someone that's used community care multiple times, it's fucking fantastic.
View Quote

A: I didn't follow their obscure and asinine rules (of which I was not informed) and it's my fault? They told me to go to the ER, so I did. They should be on the hook, period.  

B: I HAVE used the "community care" program. Maybe in your AO it's good. Around me, it's a shit show.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good to see the VA has tackled their health service issues and are now resolving the bigger issues veterans have all be concerned with.
View Quote

This…

Sounds like a person they can afford to fire, so they can hire someone useful.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#36]
If it isn't consensual, why is her foot off the ground?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#37]

What's the lie here with this pic?  I'm ASSuming that they want to remove this because it's technically a sexual assault... in the 40s it was a nothing-burger, today it's a something-burger.

Should it be removed?  Shit, it's 80 years old, the cat's out of the bag.  No, it should stay part of the historical record like the CW statues and even Nazi imagery.

But I can see where they're coming from, even if I disagree with them.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A: I didn't follow their obscure and asinine rules (of which I was not informed) and it's my fault? They told me to go to the ER, so I did. They should be on the hook, period.  

B: I HAVE used the "community care" program. Maybe in your AO it's good. Around me, it's a shit show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I caught that part.

Why are you so aggressive? I didn't do shit to you but point out that CC is good and that you didn't follow VA policy. Don't like it, talk to the VA, I'm just the messenger.

A. Reread what I wrote. They should have informed you, they should still pay, but at the end of the day you didn't follow the policy (stupid or not). Perhaps you should have called them to verify they had everything they needed from you.

B. You have said absolutely nothing about the community care program so far, or your experience with it.

Jesus dude, switch to decaf.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

She said he smelled like booze.

However, it's a classic picture and should remain so regardless.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
And I am 13 months trying to get an appointment. Glad to see the VA is working on the issues
View Quote
Dude WTF?

I got an appointment next day last week.

Go to the VA ER and start complaining about your shit, they will treat you on the spot and send you to a clinic same day.

I had four other appointments this month and all where scheduled under a month out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
After 78 years some idiot thinks the gal might not have wanted to be kissed and therefore the world has to stop and let said idiot off, am I getting this correctly?

I see no signs of rejection.
View Quote

Knowing the press at the time it was likely posed from a real incident earlier.  Like the Iwo photo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
the VA is terrible last time I went there they schooled me on my pronouns

I'm still paying out of pocket for everything bc they said my injuries that happened on active duty aren't service connected
View Quote
Do you have your military medical records? You kept copies right?

Did you get a VA exam within 12 months after getting out? Did you get treated in the VA within 12 months after getting out out?

My platoon sergeant told me as a young soldier to always keep personal copies of my medical records.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Perhaps they could use a picture of the dead bodies in the interior goo of the USS Arizona, USS Utah, USS California, USS West Virginia and USS Oklahoma.
That should offend no one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone who raised objections to that photo should be dishonorably discharged.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Interesting - She was born in Germany in 1924 and escaped with her family in 1939 to NYC. She was Jewish. Later married an Army vet, Mischa Friedman and is interned at Arlington with her husband.
Apparently, no trauma from the kiss.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#47]

I doubt even a Marine fresh off the boat would run up and lay one on her like that old pic. Diabeeto needs to STFU.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Interesting - She was born in Germany in 1924 and escaped with her family in 1939 to NYC. She was Jewish. Later married an Army vet, Mischa Friedman and is interned at Arlington with her husband.
Apparently, no trauma from the kiss.
https://alchetron.com/cdn/greta-zimmer-friedman-192f7830-bc11-4c9f-ae21-4ea1f77ef11-resize-750.jpeg
https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/image/upload/t_nbcnews-ux-2880-1000,f_auto,q_auto:best/newscms/2016_36/1704026/160910-sailor-kiss-mbe-234p.jpg
https://alchetron.com/cdn/greta-zimmer-friedman-bf3eb49c-7efa-40ce-993c-b3ae3927547-resize-750.jpeg
View Quote

Wow, that's awesome. I knew some of that but have never seen that picture with her German passport. Very cool.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember when dumbasses in GD were saying “it’s just a flag. Get over it.”

Won’t be long until they are pulling down pictures of Vietnam and GWOT soldiers because they shot yellow and brown people. The only acceptable pictures will be from WWII ETO because we were shooting Germans and Italians.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is a huge statue of the scene here in San Diego on the waterfront. People love it.

I always get a kick of the Japanese tourists taking their picture in front of it.

But really, I am surprised it's still up.

https://i.ibb.co/gDh7Kpg/Screenshot-2024-03-05-074445.jpg

View Quote

I came here to ask if that's been knocked down yet.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top