Very cool pics
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Evening flight:
Me In The O-2A leading one of our Huey's

A little Dusty action in our Huey.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The company I worked for was working with a company of tanks in the flat sandy area between highway 1 and the ocean. I think this is the same area that Fredrick Downs was wounded and described in his book The KIlling Zone. The tankers had used the tank dozer to push out a large bare area that we used as a base to  work from.

Inside the perimeter we built a few bunkers and some fighting positions and a crapper. The crapper was made from empty ammo crates and stood up about 3 feet tall. High enough to get half a 55 gallon drum half filled with diesel underneath. It was completely open air and since there was about 150 guys using this 4 holer it was always busy. Sadly they built in next to the helicopter pad.

Once a huey landed that was filled with Donut Dollys and they had to walk right in front the crapper. It was mortifying for everyone. Some of us that were not on the crapper thought it was kind of funny.

Don't have a picture of the crapper. A tank ran over my ruck and this was the last picture on the roll in the crushed camera.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the guys in my squad wrote a book about us in both Vietnam and Cambodia.  It is good reading and easy, over 100 pictures.  Plus it is only about $13.  

I met with him when it came out, we went over photos we both had in common.  It was great to meet up with him and the other guys at our first company reunion.  

21 Months, 24 Days

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
By the way, the reunion was great as I had served with each of these men, not just a "same country same war" reunion.  

I was talking to the Captain and Pee Wee, our tunnel rat.  I mentioned how low Pee Wee got after a "Dear Pee Wee" letter, I asked if he did well after DEROS.  He laughed and told me women were not to be part of his life- he had been divorced 3 times!  The captain looked at us and said he had 3 ex-wives also.  I said you two left a lot of unhappy women behind to which the captain replied "No, Doug, they are all very very happy"

Lots of tales, tears, and re-establishing friendships from the past.  Good stuff for sure.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Two excellent posts. Welcome home to you and your brothers, DougR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
God bless him!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Snake_driver:

Since we’re talking about people in Vietnam, I want you to know one of my real-life Vietnam heroes, Colonel William H. (Bill) Miller.  When I first encountered this larger that life badass he was trapped in the City of An Loc in 1972 surrounded by 5 Divisions of NVA soldiers with all kinds of the latest sophisticated Soviet-built equipment.  Col. Miller was the senior U.S. advisor to the ARVN’s defending the provincial capital with a small group of other U.S. officers and NCO advisors numberings about 10.  The NVA began pounding the town with artillery, rockets and mortars from every direction.  During the height of the 3-month long battle they were taking 8,000-9,000 rounds of incoming a day.  Col. Miller personally took charge of the battle and began directing the massive U.S. Air effort to repulse the enemies attack.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Miller_01-1.jpg

As just a 19-year old Warrant Officer who had been in-country for about 2 /12 months I had never come across anybody like Col. Miller.  His willingness to take risks and place himself personally at-risk was nothing like the other high-ranking officers I’d ever heard of before. He never wavered in his courage and seemed to have will of steel and the heart of a tiger.  Fear didn’t seem to be anything he knew whatsoever.

With his rather countrified sounding southern manner and accent, Col. Miller had a truly amazing story to tell.  He had started his Army career as an enlisted infantryman back at the Battle of the Bulge near the end of World War II, gone on to OCS after the war and then served as an infantry platoon leader in the Korean War for two tours.  By the time we became involved with him at An Loc he had risen through the ranks to "full bird” Colonel and was on his third tour of duty in Vietnam.  In his position he was the Senior Military Advisor to the ARVN in Military Region III (III Corp we called it).  His best quality was that he never sugar-coated his answers.  He was as straight-up and honest as anyone could be about his conversation.  You never doubted where you stood with this man.

Miller and his men in their bunker at An Loc:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Miller_03.jpg

April 13th 1972 at dawn a large numbers of NVA tanks, mostly T-54’s, began attacking An Loc from all sides.  The tanks quickly overpowered the little town’s defenders causing them to retreat to safer locations.  The tanks then began roaming up and down the streets of An Loc shooting at everything they saw including the Catholic Church where many innocent civilians were huddled inside praying for salvation from the enemy onslaught.  The advisors in the town later reported that the godless communists pumped round after round into the church killing most of the people inside.

My unit’s fire team of two Cobras responded to the call for assistance from the Advisors on the ground.  When they arrived overhead and requested permission from Colonel Miller on the ground to begin attacking the tanks within the city he was somewhat reluctant to allow our Cobras to enter such a dangerous anti-aircraft environment.  After hearing that they were carrying HEAT (High Explosive Anti- Tank) rounds in their rocket pods, he admitted he was willing to use anything that was available to stop the lurking hulks.  He allowed the attack, but fearing for the flight crew’s safety he urged them to be very careful.  

Our Cobras quickly rolled in on the first batch of tanks they found just as they approached the center of town.  The Cobra’s first rocket run scored hits on the lead tank, setting it afire, and trapping the other tanks behind it on the narrow streets of An Loc.  Then the remaining tanks were brought under fire with our Cobra’s rockets destroying several of them.  The tank column had been stopped just a few short feet from where Col. Miller and his men were huddled in their bunker conducting the battle to defend An Loc.  Their gratitude for those actions was always obvious after that.

The NVA tank we killed just outside Col. Miller's bunker:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/TanksDestroyedbyBlueMax_04.jpg

Here's Col. Millers Tribute to us, we were called Blue Max:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/millertributetobluemax-1.jpg

On one occasion when the tanks were roaming the streets and it seemed all was lost, Col. Miller scooped up an armload of M-72 LAW (Light Anti-tank Weapon) rockets and directed a bunch of ARVN soldiers to follow him.  The U.S. made light, portable, single-shot, disposable bazooka was widely distributed by the Army to our ARVN allies and was in plentiful supply.  They cautiously followed him as he sneaked through the streets and maneuvered himself into a firing position to the rear of one of the giant lumbering enemy tanks and fired a LAW into the rear engine deck of the T-54.  It quickly erupted into flames and came to an abrupt halt.

Once they saw that the tanks weren’t invincible the ARVN soldiers on the ground in An Loc rallied and quickly learned that the enemy tanks could be defeated easily enough with a just single well placed M72 LAW round.

Col. Miller with the tank he killed with the LAW:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Miller_02.jpg

On a daily basis through the month of April and into May, our Cobras traveled to An Loc to fight back the NVA attacks.  Time and again, tanks, anti-aircraft weapons and countless numbers of enemy vehicles became victims of our rocket fire.  On the ground, Colonel Miller was as tough as nails and refused give one inch to the enemy threat.  His courage was truly an inspiration to all of us.  

It seems the NVA had poorly planned their strategy for using their armor and allowed them to roam freely without adequate and necessary infantry support to protect them. This made the tanks vulnerable and easy targets for any willing gunner on the ground or in the air.

Finally toward the end of May "higher-ups” at U.S. Headquarters down near Saigon decided that Colonel Miller had done more than his fair share, so they called him home for re-assignment in the United States.  There he would command a brigade of the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell, KY.  If given the choice, I’m sure he would have rather stayed and seen the battle through to its conclusion, but being a good career Army officer, he followed the commands given to him and turned over his command to his replacement.

Nearly 30 years went by until I found out the Col. Miller lived in nearby St. Petersburg, Florida and through a friend I was able to contact him and asked him if we could come and visit him.  He was happy to hear from me and of course welcomed our visit. After so many years I was finally able to meet the man face-to-face and shake his hand.

Col. Miller and me at his home in St. Pete.:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Miller_06.jpg

Sadly Col. Miller passed away in 2004 and was buried with full military honors at Arlington Cemetery.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Miller_04.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Miller_05.jpg

I’ll never forget this guy; he was the bravest man I ever knew!  R.I.P. Col. Miller

God bless him!

Slowly catching up to this thread and that's a hell of a story and an incredibly man. Or I should say men.....those on the ground and those with Blue Max.

Humbling.....even at the great distance I have from the events and people involved.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By DougR:

One of the guys in my squad wrote a book about us in both Vietnam and Cambodia.  It is good reading and easy, over 100 pictures.  Plus it is only about $13.  

I met with him when it came out, we went over photos we both had in common.  It was great to meet up with him and the other guys at our first company reunion.  

21 Months, 24 Days

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/1_3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/3_1.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up on the book Sir, ordering it now.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlltd42] [#9]
Originally Posted By Cyclic240B:

Thanks for the heads up on the book Sir, ordering it now.

View Quote

Looks like prime members can read it for free via kindle; I will be adding it to my stack of books to read.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I finally finished going through the last 9 pages of this thread tonight. I can't express enough how much respect I have for you Vietnam guys. My father in law was in Nam, 68-69 with the 25th ID. He is starting to open up to me about his experiences a little more. I've served in OIF and OEF, and can't even begin to compare the two. I'll have to see if I can get some of his slides converted and post them up. He earned himself a BSM, PH, Air Medal w/V, and a few others in his tour. However, what I came here to post is this:

I'm currently stationed at Ft. Indiantown Gap in PA for reclass to 15T. I'm learning how to fix and eventually crew a Hawk. One of our civilian instructors and some of his friends are restoring an old UH-1D to flying condition. He agreed to let us students come by the shop to check it out. I figured this lot of skull fuckers might enjoy seeing it. I'll post up some pics when I get them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By glazer1972:

He still looks like a man not to be messed with.
View All Quotes

Affirmative.

Saw him last week. He has nothing in his wardrobe with out the Herd on it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Happy Veterans Day to all my brothers

View Quote

Back at you Ed!

.......................and to all Veterans, thank you for the sacrifices you and your family made to give us our freedom!
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably a long shot but if any of you guys know anyone who served in the 573rd army engineers could you shoot me a pm. We are trying to find a few guys my dad served with.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Happy Veterans Day, gentlemen. Honor and respect! /\
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:43:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopher] [#18]
Local talk show boy Mark Davis plays this every Memorial and Veterans Day. Thanks for your service gentlemen.
https://youtu.be/MEikb8ZgY30?t=41s

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]
For our Brothers and Sisters that served in 'Nam...

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:30:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#21]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#23]

I found this videos that brought back some memories..............and tears to my old eyes. I am getting old and sentimental !

This first one has the 82nd going to Nam starting at 17:00

Raider School at 19:55

and

LRRP training at 21:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNEz0UiUtp8

This second one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyDvemc8bk

is the arrival to Chu Lai and our link to the 101st, then random footage in VN

I see the guys on the videos with shoulder patches on jungle fatigues, but we never wore them. We always went sterile and the team leaders always checked to make sure nobody had letters from home, pictures, etc that could be used against us if captured.

I never thought about it, but without unit ID, the NVA could have executed us on the sopot for not being identified as uniformed soldiers (spies?). On the other hand, none of us expected to be captured alive anyway, so it made no difference
View Quote

Honor and respect.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I found this videos that brought back some memories..............and tears to my old eyes. I am getting old and sentimental !

This first one has the 82nd going to Nam starting at 17:00

Raider School at 19:55

and

LRRP training at 21:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNEz0UiUtp8

This second one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyDvemc8bk

is the arrival to Chu Lai and our link to the 101st, then random footage in VN

I see the guys on the videos with shoulder patches on jungle fatigues, but we never wore them. We always went sterile and the team leaders always checked to make sure nobody had letters from home, pictures, etc that could be used against us if captured.
I never thought about it, but without unit ID, the NVA could have executed us on the sopot for not being identified as uniformed soldiers (spies?). On the other hand, none of us expected to be captured alive anyway, so it made no difference
View Quote

That was a fairly common procedure back then when inserting small numbers of folks into areas controlled by the hostiles.  The bad guys routinely killed everyone  captured or wounded. We also did the same.  The only time you would keep anybody alive was to find out what they knew (for example you were sent to an area to capture somebody for intelligence purposes).  Most US prisoners were air force types shot down and kept alive for propaganda purposes.

If a team went missing, it was assumed the bad guys got them and some effort was spent in trying to find them, but for the most part they were just listed as missing in action.   When you left the gate or the insert point from a helo, you were pretty much on your own, unless you were with a big army unit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#25]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Those kind of experiences change a person forever.  I can remember one time when I was getting an ass chewing from my boss, and | started laughing. He said, " What the hell are you laughing at? This is an important issue for the office!  

My response was  " I have been hunted in the night by men trying to kill me, and I have hunted men in the night trying to kill them, this just some government regulations you are worried about, not a  life or death issue".  We never really got along after that.

Merry Christmas Ed, and may you have many more.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 72coupe:

Don't have a picture of the crapper. A tank ran over my ruck and this was the last picture on the roll in the crushed camera.
View Quote

<--refuses to trust tracked vehicles driving anywhere.  Ever.  Could be a perfectly clear area and they'll find some way to run over something or cut some wire.

The young guys in this thread appreciate the heck out of your pictures though.  Glad you kept the camera and are able to share.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Fuckin' Ay!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By oldsgm:
Those kind of experiences change a person forever.  I can remember one time when I was getting an ass chewing from my boss, and | started laughing. He said, " What the hell are you laughing at? This is an important issue for the office!  

My response was  " I have been hunted in the night by men trying to kill me, and I have hunted men in the night trying to kill them, this just some government regulations you are worried about, not a  life or death issue".  We never really got along after that.

Fuckin' Ay!

I am a land surveyor. I had a realtor call me up saying she needed a survey by a certain time because it was a matter of life or death. I told her I had been in life or death situations, I have decided who lived or died and there are no real estate deals that are life or death.

She laughed and said well it was very important to her and I said I could accept that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#30]

I am a land surveyor. I had a realtor call me up saying she needed a survey by a certain time because it was a matter of life or death. I told her I had been in life or death situations, I have decided who lived or died and there are no real estate deals that are life or death.

She laughed and said well it was very important to her and I said I could accept that.
View All Quotes

Fuckin' Ay!

Haha, awesome.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to the Old Guard!

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:01:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Haven't been on AR 15 for quite a while due a computer problem so am just now seeing this thread.  Don't know why I had missed it previously?  
I got to RVN in Aug 69 and got stuck running the SFOB security force for a 1st assignment.  Had LOTS of free time (every other day off) so started flying door gunner with the 281st AHC every other day.  Did that for 7 or 8 weeks until I finally got reassigned to the B 55 Mike Force and started beating the bushes.  
Here are a few photos.  
Arrival at the SFOB in Nha Trang.  
Sarge  

Well I guess not!  This is screwed-up!  I don't find any way to post photos here without going to some other source than my computer!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Sarge13:
Haven't been on AR 15 for quite a while due a computer problem so am just now seeing this thread.  Don't know why I had missed it previously?  
I got to RVN in Aug 69 and got stuck running the SFOB security force for a 1st assignment.  Had LOTS of free time (every other day off) so started flying door gunner with the 281st AHC every other day.  Did that for 7 or 8 weeks until I finally got reassigned to the B 55 Mike Force and started beating the bushes.  
Here are a few photos.  
Sarge  

Well I guess not!  This is screwed-up!  I don't find any way to post photos here without going to some other source than my computer!
View Quote

Yep, you have to use a web hosting site like Photobucket to post photos here.  They all pretty much suck, just some more than others.  

I was 17th Cav. out of Pleiku.  We used to pick guys up from Nha Trang and take them for their little walks through the woods on the other side of the fence.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:49:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#33]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Haha, awesome.

View All Quotes

Fuckin' Ay!

Haha, awesome.

Good stuff!  Merry Christmas to all here at ARFCOM!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Fuckin' Ay!

Haha, awesome.

To Ed and family and my Military and arfcom Brothers , Merry Chrismas from MO. , Still nice and warm up here Snake_Driver , stop by for a cold one  
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Snip............

Originally Posted By M10KEN:

To Ed and family and my Military and arfcom Brothers , Merry Chrismas from MO. , Still nice and warm up here Snake_Driver , stop by for a cold one  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M10KEN:

Haha, awesome.

I'm coming up to KC at Christmas to see family!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#36]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Those were probably SOG recon teams messing with Charlie in either Laos or Cambodia. I met a guy on a short car trip (courtesy-van from a local auto dealer)who worked for Kodak,  who claimed to have worked for Kodak making some of the different monitoring devices the SF teams planted by the Ho Chi Minh trail on those trips.
Scary shit right there, but the air support coverage Cobras, with the beloved snake_drivers gave, (thus my comment about FAC and support ships) was crucial to those operations. I think SOG teams called the FAC "coveys" (AKA SPAF)

Going across the fence was a very different deal than I experienced. Those guys could suddenly find themselves facing a whole Regiment or a Div, either encamped or in transit to South VN  Fuck that!
View All Quotes

I was 17th Cav. out of Pleiku.  We used to pick guys up from Nha Trang and take them for their little walks through the woods on the other side of the fence.

Those were probably SOG recon teams messing with Charlie in either Laos or Cambodia. I met a guy on a short car trip (courtesy-van from a local auto dealer)who worked for Kodak,  who claimed to have worked for Kodak making some of the different monitoring devices the SF teams planted by the Ho Chi Minh trail on those trips.
Scary shit right there, but the air support coverage Cobras, with the beloved snake_drivers gave, (thus my comment about FAC and support ships) was crucial to those operations. I think SOG teams called the FAC "coveys" (AKA SPAF)

Going across the fence was a very different deal than I experienced. Those guys could suddenly find themselves facing a whole Regiment or a Div, either encamped or in transit to South VN  Fuck that!

We got called out frequently to investigate movements reported by the sensors that were dropped by the Air Force along the trail.  Sometimes we'd find the bad guys, but often it was monkeys, elephants or water buffaloes wandering by. We also got called upon frequently to provide CAS and emergency extraction for those sneaky petes that ran into more than they could handle.  At that time the fence was just a dotted line on the maps, we went where we needed to go.  Those guys had huge balls to be out there deep into indian territory in such small groups laying quietly in the bushes for days.  It must have taken immense self-control & discipline to lay there and watch while hoping they weren't discovered by the enemy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Sarge13:

Here are a few photos.  

Sarge  

View Quote

Sarge, I'd be honored to host your photos.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Amen brother.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Happy New Year, gents! Honor and respect for the Old Guard.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#45]
Happy New Year, gents! Honor and respect for the Old Guard.

View Quote

Seriously, back at all of you.  I hope everyone has a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag and thank you all for your service
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#47]
LEAVING TOWN

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Bump.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 43
Vietnam. (Page 29 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top