[#1]

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That time of year again.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The time of the year when it's painful to remember but you just don't want to forget.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_Dad] [#5]

20 yrs old and heard about the "Fall of Saigon" on the radio.

Thank you older brothers that served at that time. Your sacrifices mean so much to me. Just a kid in school waiting to be drafted.

Just not old enough I guess.  Graduated HS 1973
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:
The time of the year when it's painful to remember but you just don't want to forget.
View Quote

Have you posted your story in this thread?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:28:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I just wanted to first say how much you all mean to us, and how sorry we are about how it was when you finally came home. Ever since I was a kid, I have always been drawn to reading about Vietnam, and the lessons learned and the bravery that was a daily over there. I wanted to share some pictures I snapped from one book in particular. Book is called Charlie Rangers. The book was really cool, and well worth the read.
Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, you are some real heroes.

In this, in the middle of the frame you can make out an NVA walking, The guy took it, put his gun down, snapped the photos and grabbed his gun and blew him away.

Charlie C meeting for the first time together after the war at the memorial

POW caught, and leading the LLRP unit to find the bunker complex where she came from. Dressed in tiger stripe to match them incase she ran

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:

View Quote
Amen brother

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been spending the day with Marines India 3/9.

4 of the squad my dad was in is here, and his CO was telling me what a bad ass my dad was.

I'll be back home Sunday and try to post some then and now photos.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for your service.

And thanks for sharing the pics. It was before my time but I did loose an uncle over there. He was a door gunner on a Huey. Did a couple tours. Got killed the night before he was to come home. My grandma (his sister) has all his medals and his flag. I never met the man but I get really moved when I see that flag.

Again thank you all. And thanks for the chopper pics. Heck uncle Larry might of been on one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P._Bobo

I've heard the whole story behind this battle, I've meet the man who fired the 1st shot (killed 2 NVA to start the battle).

My dad drew the first machine gun fire, meet the Corpsman, meet the radioman who was shot in the neck.

Meet their 4 Star General.  My dads commanding officer came to me and told me about what my dad did, how much he respects him.

I think a lot my dads PTSD is from survivors guilt.  Gives you a different perspective to hear stories how your dad saved men

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I._Neal

Here's the 4 Star I have been talking to today, he's a Bruins fan, so we had some fun talking hockey.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
John "Jack" Madden was my dads squad commanding officer, and then left the squad to my dad, he lasted 4 weeks till wounded out at Con Thien.
My dad volunteered to walk the fence, and the other CO told him to stay back and he would, dad said your a short timer with 1 month left, he never made it back, 2 hours later my dad was in a door way when a motor hit in the trench behind him.

They thought he died.  Was the 1st placed on the helicopter to be med vac out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MadMardigan:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P._Bobo

I've heard the whole story behind this battle, I've meet the man who fired the 1st shot (killed 2 NVA to start the battle).
My dad drew the first machine gun fire, meet the Corpsman, meet the radioman who was shot in the neck.
Meet their 4 Star General.  My dads commanding officer came to me and told me about what my dad did, how much he respects him.

I think a lot my dads PTSD is from survivors guilt.  Gives you a different perspective to hear stories how your dad saved men

View Quote

To make it back home alive when so many left country in body bags , it was very hard to leave your unit and watch all your buds wave to you as the re-supply chopper was heading back to our Company Area ..
Survivors Guilt has always been at the top of my list ...
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#15]

4 of the squad my dad was in is here, and his CO was telling me what a bad ass my dad was.

View Quote
When and where?  My dad was Kilo 3/9.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:45:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMardigan] [#16]

Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We are in Savannah, we went to Paris Island yesterday for a graduation of Fox, the reunion is India 3/9, I know they have have bigger reunions also, but my dad prefers the smaller one.  What years was your dad in?

They was in 66-67-68, in Con Thien, Kilo was their sister company.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]

We are in Savannah, we went to Paris Island yesterday for a graduation of Fox, the reunion is India 3/9, I know they have have bigger reunions also, but my dad prefers the smaller one.  What years was your dad in?  

View All Quotes

Looks like they were in the same place at the same time. June 67-July 68 near the DMZ. Con Thien, Ca Lu, Khe Sahn, Rockpile, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMardigan] [#18]

Looks like they were in the same place at the same time. June 67-July 68 near the DMZ. Con Thien, Ca Lu, Khe Sahn, Rockpile, etc.
View All Quotes

Dad was their March to September or 67.  He was wounded out in Con Thien in September.  
They was in the same places.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#19]
We are at a banquet now.

The guy who put this together kept getting dead ends on getting a color guard here today, so he called General Neal to see if he could get anything done for us.  Neal is a 4 Star General of the Marines, he was the CO when the the Marines 1st landed in 65 in Nam.  He's a great guy.  During the evocation, must have been something in the air, when they talked about the ones they lost, like 2nd LT Bobo who posthumously received the Medal of Honor most of the Marines was in tears or holding them back as hard as they can.

My dads CO was talking to me about how my dad served and saved several with his actions, when his time was up, he left the squad to my dad, he lasted 4 weeks before being wounded out.  The young Marines here with the color guard are making their rounds talking to everyone, we have a Iwo Jima survivor that was India 3/9 also.

These men have seen hell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#20]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I._Neal

This is 4 Star General Neal I mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Viet Cong suspect picked up near Soc Trang

27 Sep 1968, Soc Trang, South Vietnam --- 9/27/1968-Soc Trang, South Vietnam- A member of the U.S. 9th infantry comforts a youthful Viet Cong suspect picked up during a sweep near Soc Trang, 70 miles south of Saigon, September 27th. The youth was given some C-rations before being taken away for questioning.

Cu Chi 1968

Da Nang 1968

Happy Bar Saigon 1967

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I know why everybody happy at Happy Bar...................... Steam & Cream is next door!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 72coupe:
The only Chaplain that came to the boonies was the Catholic priest. He would come out and hump the jungle for 3 or 4 days at a time with us. I was impressed.
<a href="http://s203.photobucket.com/user/72coupe/media/MANGOLD048_zps1510cb91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/MANGOLD048_zps1510cb91.jpg</a>
The last church sevices I attended were with me laying on the grave in this picture. I didn't go the priest just assembled the service around me. I guess he thought a heathen like me could use a little religion.
View Quote

My grandfather was a Corpsman in the USN. He did a tour in Vietnam with some Marines. 66-67 68-69.
He was out in the field as you can imagine being hooked up with Marines.
His first tour was bad enough that when he got stateside he became a Chaplins Assistant just so he could give last rights to the ones that needed them.

He has never told me abou actually giving Last Rights, though I am sure he has. On his second tour he played both roles, Corpsman and Chaplin.

I need to make it home to VA so I can sit down and have some good talks with him about his time there. So much that the whole family has never heard and probable won't hear unless I ask. I hate the though of asking. I hate bring back old memories that I'm sure can and will be hard to talk about. For most of my adult life I have always wondered what happened over there. I know he has some news papers with names cicrled, random clippings that have no "meaning" unless you know the meaning. Why would he only clip that part of the paper? There has to be something behind it..has to be. What is it?
So many questions for me to ask and stories for him to share if he wants.
Hell, my grandmother is the same way. She gave birth to 4 while he was being sent off and dealing with the war. The 4th child kept him from going a third time. From the sounds of that is was a damn good thing. He had a bad feeling as the date to leave got closer. Word made it to them about 1 month piror to shopping out.
Instead of heading back into the jungle he was sent on a  mediterranean  cruise with the Marines.
I'm sure my grandmother's life was not easy while this was going on. 3 kids and a 4th on the way. Wow.

Sorry for rambling. Saw a post and felt like I had to say something. I'm proud of what my family has done, Grandparents, Dad, and 3 uncles all served. My ass is another story.

To all that went there, WELCOME HOME.
It seems that most don't like being thanked for their service, but I don't give a rats ass right now. THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Snake_driver:
I know why everybody happy at Happy Bar...................... Steam & Cream is next door!
View Quote

Steam & Cream?

That a coffee shop?

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:16:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#25]
Originally Posted By Moose:

Steam & Cream?

That a coffee shop?

View All Quotes

Steam & Cream?

That a coffee shop?

At Magic Fingers Massage customer always come first!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I was asking an old SF dude details about Long Thanh and the first thing he mentioned was the red-roofed steam-and-cream.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
VolotechT5,
You weren't rambling at all. Thank you for sharing that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
VolotechT5,
You weren't rambling at all. Thank you for sharing that.
View Quote

Thank you.

Ed we need an American flag that doesn't have a "sad" stance.
The two we have a awesome, don't get wrong at all. But we need one that stands proud and full of the good stuff. One that screams AMERICA.
I understand the meaning of the two we have, but we need one to raise high with our chins up. One not related to losing good men.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm really good at killing threads but I hope that this post won't kill this one.

I'd like to say thank you to all who have served, especially those Vietnam veterans, and I'll tell you why. Your service laid the foundation for many of the tactics, procedures, and strategies that are being used by the current fighters in the global war on terror in the middle east and elsewhere. Your service, your experience, your training, your teachings, and your philosophies have saved the lives of at least 3 of my friends and for that I am truly grateful.
'
Even more than that, I am simply grateful for people who have protected this country and its families. There is no way to say "Thank You" in any meaningful way, particularly for anyone who has lost friends and colleagues in wartime. You have my everlasting respect and gratitude and that is something that I simply cannot repay and I know that.

Thank you for your service. Words simply do not do justice, nor ever will. As we approach Memorial Day I hope that everyone remembers it as a day of sacrifice, remembrance, and selfless service. For those of you who have heard Taps on Memorial Day, there is nothing more sacred.

Thank you to all Veterans and their families.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By VolvotechT5:

My grandfather was a Corpsman in the USN. He did a tour in Vietnam with some Marines. 66-67 68-69.
His first tour was bad enough that when he got stateside he became a Chaplins Assistant just so he could give last rights to the ones that needed them.

He has never told me abou actually giving Last Rights, though I am sure he has. On his second tour he played both roles, Corpsman and Chaplin.

I need to make it home to VA so I can sit down and have some good talks with him about his time there. So much that the whole family has never heard and probable won't hear unless I ask. I hate the though of asking. I hate bring back old memories that I'm sure can and will be hard to talk about. For most of my adult life I have always wondered what happened over there. I know he has some news papers with names cicrled, random clippings that have no "meaning" unless you know the meaning. Why would he only clip that part of the paper? There has to be something behind it..has to be. What is it?
Hell, my grandmother is the same way. She gave birth to 4 while he was being sent off and dealing with the war. The 4th child kept him from going a third time. From the sounds of that is was a damn good thing. He had a bad feeling as the date to leave got closer. Word made it to them about 1 month piror to shopping out.
Instead of heading back into the jungle he was sent on a  mediterranean  cruise with the Marines.
I'm sure my grandmother's life was not easy while this was going on. 3 kids and a 4th on the way. Wow.

Sorry for rambling. Saw a post and felt like I had to say something. I'm proud of what my family has done, Grandparents, Dad, and 3 uncles all served. My ass is another story.

It seems that most don't like being thanked for their service, but I don't give a rats ass right now. THANK YOU.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VolvotechT5:
Originally Posted By 72coupe:
The only Chaplain that came to the boonies was the Catholic priest. He would come out and hump the jungle for 3 or 4 days at a time with us. I was impressed.
<a href="http://s203.photobucket.com/user/72coupe/media/MANGOLD048_zps1510cb91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/MANGOLD048_zps1510cb91.jpg</a>
The last church sevices I attended were with me laying on the grave in this picture. I didn't go the priest just assembled the service around me. I guess he thought a heathen like me could use a little religion.

The priest that came to the field with us was killed in action.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:

I'm really good at killing threads but I hope that this post won't kill this one.

I'd like to say thank you to all who have served, especially those Vietnam veterans, and I'll tell you why. Your service laid the foundation for many of the tactics, procedures, and strategies that are being used by the current fighters in the global war on terror in the middle east and elsewhere. Your service, your experience, your training, your teachings, and your philosophies have saved the lives of at least 3 of my friends and for that I am truly grateful.

'

Even more than that, I am simply grateful for people who have protected this country and its families. There is no way to say "Thank You" in any meaningful way, particularly for anyone who has lost friends and colleagues in wartime. You have my everlasting respect and gratitude and that is something that I simply cannot repay and I know that.

Thank you for your service. Words simply do not do justice, nor ever will. As we approach Memorial Day I hope that everyone remembers it as a day of sacrifice, remembrance, and selfless service. For those of you who have heard Taps on Memorial Day, there is nothing more sacred.

Thank you to all Veterans and their families.
View Quote
The Marine Crucible was developed from a March 30-31st 1967 battle India 3/9 was in, that is where 2nd LT John Bobo gave his life to save others and was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#32]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

I was asking an old SF dude details about Long Thanh and the first thing he mentioned was the red-roofed steam-and-cream.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

When the shit hit the fan in the spring of '72, they moved us to Long Thanh airfield for better security.  There was a hook unit (Fly United) and some Mohawks (ASA) stationed on the base at the time along with our Cobras.  We commuted from there to Lai Khe for staging and An Loc & Loc Ninh every day for most of our operations during that time.  A bunch of flying!  We spent at least 10 hours in the cockpit every day.  Many days much more.

Oh, and we never made it into town or the red-roofed steam & cream.  Too much going on for leisure activities.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#33]

I'm guessing Aussies with that gear.

Never forget brothers that didn't come home.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#34]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CrazyWhiteGuy] [#35]
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
Memorial Day 2016

View Quote

Until Valhalla

Rest in peace brothers
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:
Until Valhalla

Rest in peace brothers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:

Memorial Day 2016

Until Valhalla

Rest in peace brothers

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Strippers? in the Nam?  

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:45:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#38]
Originally Posted By JT_26:
Strippers? in the Nam?  

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/wsrhkv1/hxdI249_zpsvuxakimy.jpg
View Quote

............wait, they had strippers???   I suppose the next thing you'll say is they under-age hookers too!!!  
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#39]

............wait, they had strippers???   I suppose the next thing you'll say is they under-age hookers too!!!  
View All Quotes
Strippers? in the Nam?  

Didnt see any of these gals were I was at Snake_Driver  WTFO
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I would be very interested to hear from anyone that served aboard the USS Oriskany in ’65.  Specifically if know people on this page:

http://www.vf-162.org/crz65p02.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#41]
Originally Posted By M10KEN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M10KEN:
Strippers? in the Nam?  

Only in places like the bars in Saigon, Vung Tau, Nha Trang & Da Nang.  The girls ran around mostly naked, most of the time.  We were Cav. after all, so we enjoyed the native splendor!  Hell one Cav. Troop we visited up North had their own little whore house in their compound.  Again, not to offend our hosts we took advantage of their hospitality.  I was 19 & 20 y.o. while there, other than all angry little brown people trying to kill us all the time, it seemed like paradise.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Gosh, you're ruining my image of you Snake_driver.
You look so innocent in those pics of you standing by your Attack Helicopter...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:47:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#44]
View Quote

Hell, I was a wild-ass kid looking for big adventure.  Put me in a room full of booze, naked women and Cav. troopers and the party is on.  We went out every day and traded shots with the enemy and often enough some of us didn't come back.  Many days it felt like it was your last.  When we played, we played hard.  We still get together over the 4th of July and try to still party hard, but the years have taken a toll on us old farts, so we can only wish for the old days.  I'm leaving for the annual reunion at Reno, NV this weekend as a matter of fact.  There'll be about 1,500 of us.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Nobody came back innocent from that beautiful hell hole
View All Quotes

.....................and 'aint that just the truth.  Left a kid and came back a man.  War does that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Agreed
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

View Quote

I hear ya.

My dad and 2 uncles are Vietnam Vets, all retired Navy.
They'll talk your ears off about every other aspect of their service, but they've never talked in detail about when they were incountry.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#48]

.....................and 'aint that just the truth.  Left a kid and came back a man.  War does that.

View All Quotes

Aged beyond your years. It's a cliche for a reason, right gents? Fucking war.

You men are my heroes. It's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By dubBinSEA:
This is a great thread and I would like to add to it....

Here are some guys my dad served with....
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/hypoluxo/ilkk.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/hypoluxo/gb_moley.jpg

Sam Wheeler
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/hypoluxo/SAW.jpg

My dad... last guy on right ......II Corps ......Company Commander B20 Mobile Strike Force 1969 with Montagnards on patrol.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/hypoluxo/DM_Sr.jpg
View Quote

Second pic reminds me of Civil War pics
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:44:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JIMBEAM] [#50]

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/3729134570_d36ee8f13b_o.jpg
[/span]
[span]
[/span]
[span]
[/span]
[span][span]Happy Bar Saigon 1967[/span][/span]
[span][span]
[/span][/span]
[span][span]
[/span][/span]
[span][span]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/6004559794_f13fe960aa_b.jpg
[/span][/span]
[span]
[/span]
[span]
[/span]
[span]
[/span]
View Quote

I sent that to a friend that was VN in the late 1960s. He said it was a good time.
Page / 43
Vietnam. (Page 30 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top