BCM
User Panel

Vietnam. (Page 33 of 43)
Page / 43
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snake_driver:

Hmmmm, 60 Klicks to Loc Ninh is pretty deep into indian territory! Were you North or West of there???
View Quote
We were right up on the border, we tried to plot an arty and they no, can't shoot there. It might be less than 60 clicks ,
50 years ago is a long time to remember, we spent a lot of time up there, my last trip was Sept of 68
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#2]
Originally Posted By Denner:
We were right up on the border, we tried to plot an arty and they no, can't shoot there. It might be less than 60 clicks ,
50 years ago is a long time to remember, we spent a lot of time up there, my last trip was Sept of 68
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Denner:

Hmmmm, 60 Klicks to Loc Ninh is pretty deep into indian territory! Were you North or West of there???
Very familiar with the area.  In early April of '72 we fought for several days trying to keep the commies from overrunning the SF Camp at Loc Ninh.  The NVA bastards mounted a huge offensive and came charging across the border just above Loc Ninh with several divisions of regulars.  The camp was the first stop along QL 13.  We were unsuccessful at stopping them and several U.S. advisors lost their lives there as well as two of our guys from my unit.  U.S. Air Power finally stopped the NVA onslaught at An Loc, but it took 3-months to finally defeat them.  The ARVN's weren't all that much help.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That was a nasty area, I hated going there, we lost the Division Commander, General Ware and his command group on Sept 13th, 1968 when his helicopter was shot down. They turned us toward the crash site and we ran into part of an  NVA regiment going the same way, we lost 6 KIA and 7 WIA stopped the NVA, but never made it to the crash site, B company did and found no survivors. That was my last trip , I went home soon after that, place still haunts me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Denner, thank you for sharing those stories. I can't imagine being left behind so far outside the wire. Holy shit.

Welcome home, sir.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Have not been on here for some time and just saw the newsletter and opened the Nam thread. I did a tour with the Herd 67/68 B 1/503.
Guess I have to dig out some 50 year old pics, Damn I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you to all you Vietnam vets.

jungle fighting just seems scary as all hell. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see this thread still going.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By somedude:

I got a few books that have pics or stories of guys just wearing the cloth helmet cover as improvised hat. Not sure how common that was.
View Quote
What you are seeing is probably dew rags not helmet covers. During daylight everyone wore a steel pot and flack jacket but at night different rules.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Will ask Dad for some of his pics to post here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:52:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#10]
Originally Posted By 72coupe:

What you are seeing is probably dew rags not helmet covers. During daylight everyone wore a steel pot and flack jacket but at night different rules.
View Quote
I swear that is what it said, I am trying to find pics. in the meantime a few more I liked.   Glad those of you that were there made it back.

1st Lt. Ward Abbett of Englewood and “Leslie,” the spider monkey mascot of his 11th Armored Cavalry unit are picture when he was serving in Loc Ninh, South Vietnam in 1968

US SF member posing with Sten MK II S
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By somedude:

I swear that is what it said, I am trying to find pics. in the meantime a few more I liked.   Glad those of you that were there made it back.

[SNIP]

1st Lt. Ward Abbett of Englewood and “Leslie,” the spider monkey mascot of his 11th Armored Cavalry unit are picture when he was serving in Loc Ninh, South Vietnam in 1968
https://donmooreswartales.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/img_2559.jpg?w=900
View Quote
I had pet monkey just like that one shown in the picture.  It was our company mascot.  He was a real hoot!  Actually it isn't a spider monkey, but rather a Stump-tailed Macaque.  When I took him up to the Highlands with me, he must have jumped on the wrong hootch-maid, because the Montagnards eat monkeys and he disappeared one day while we were out flying.  I hope he gave them indigestion!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]

I had pet monkey just like that one shown in the picture.  It was our company mascot.  He was a real hoot!  Actually it isn't a spider monkey, but rather a Stump-tailed Macaque.  When I took him up to the Highlands with me, he must have jumped on the wrong hootch-maid, because the Montagnards eat monkeys and he disappeared one day while we were out flying.  I hope he gave them indigestion!
View Quote
that sucks, at least he got to keep you guys entertained for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
not sure if this was posted already. Ran across this story a couple weeks ago and it had good pics. It was from 173rd Airborne trying to hit a sniper at night from their base at Phu Tai.

link if you want more info with most of the same pics.
click
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Old school laser light show.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:03:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMardigan] [#16]
Attachment Attached File

It's been 50 years since this picture was taken after coming out of Khe Sahn, Vietnam.  The worst was yet to come for us.  RIP - Flipper Seals, Francis Connor, Pineapple Mikaele, Wildman Dickey and Charlie Powell.  

--From my dads Sergeant 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]
At the range today and there was a family of Vietnamese. They were speaking Vietnamese and shooting pistols but not well. I tried helping them with advise and demonstration but it didn't help. They shot more than 200 rounds at one of those 10 inch sticky targets at 25 yards but only hit it 4 times.

It was very weird for me teaching Vietnamese to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:22:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#18]
few more pics to keep the thread alive.

people sniffer attachment
Attachment Attached File

chopped m-14
Attachment Attached File

ready for a fight
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shagohod] [#19]
I watched the Vietnam in HD series on History Channel for a lot of the day.

Thanks Vietnam vets.  In a thankless war people may or may not agree with it but ya'll did what you had to do.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
This is Bob Howard when he was Recon Company's first-sergeant at CCC, prior to his MoH being awarded. Amazing man. RIP, sir.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]
God bless all who served over there, you are not forgotten about in my household and if any of you are ever in my area beers are on me.
It's the least I can do to show my appreciation for all you gave over there.

I talked to my old boss today who was in a dust off unit and thanked him, he is one that can still talk about it, and while we worked together I showed him this thread and sent him a link as well there would be a number of times I would stop at his desk and he would be reading it and I was one of the few at work where he would share stories of his time over there.

For his retirement gift I found and got him a small repo door of a huey (it was 8x12") and mounted on a wood base and everyone signed it and he loved it and has it displayed now in a place of honor in his house.

From what he shared with me he was in the thick of things in some of the worse battles and they would fly in under all sorts of small and heavy arms fire and he would run out and work on the wounded.

Again, God bless all of you guys that were over there.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:39:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#23]
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:
I can't remember the MSGs name, but the A Team Daddy at Loc Ninh wrote a book called "Tanks In The Wire". Good Lord. There's also a few accounts out there from Plasters notes of guys who were there.
View All Quotes

Very familiar with the area.  In early April of '72 we fought for several days trying to keep the commies from overrunning the SF Camp at Loc Ninh.  The NVA bastards mounted a huge offensive and came charging across the border just above Loc Ninh with several divisions of regulars.  The camp was the first stop along QL 13.  We were unsuccessful at stopping them and several U.S. advisors lost their lives there as well as two of our guys from my unit.  U.S. Air Power finally stopped the NVA onslaught at An Loc, but it took 3-months to finally defeat them.  The ARVN's weren't all that much help.
I can't remember the MSGs name, but the A Team Daddy at Loc Ninh wrote a book called "Tanks In The Wire". Good Lord. There's also a few accounts out there from Plasters notes of guys who were there.
A-team A-244 at Ben Het was nearly overrun on 3 March 1969 by PT-76s but Pattons from the 1/69th knocked 'em out before they could really get close. That camp was ALWAYS getting hit and coming under siege.

Need to check that book out, 30cal.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

A-team A-244 at Ben Het was nearly overrun on 3 March 1969 by PT-76s but Pattons from the 1/69th knocked 'em out before they could really get close. That camp was ALWAYS getting hit and coming under siege.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Destroyed_PT76_tank_at_Ben_Het.jpg
View Quote
The PT-76 was a fast scout tank, but lightly armored.  Very easy to attack and kill with a Cobra.  The T-54 & 55 main battle tanks required HEAT Rounds to kill.

The main guy on the ground that we were in contact with at Loc Ninh in '72 was Captain Mark A. Smith, call sign Zippo.  He escaped Loc Ninh and survived the war.  Here is an interesting account of his side of the battle:

Call Sign Zippo - Loc Ninh, 1972
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CrazedCat] [#25]
Ken Burns Finally has gotten to the Vietnam War .

Premieres Sunday September 17, 2017 at 8/7c.

In an immersive narrative, Ken Burns and Lynn Novick tell the epic story of the Vietnam War as it has never before been told on film. The Vietnam War features testimony from nearly 100 witnesses, including many Americans who fought in the war and others who opposed it, as well as Vietnamese combatants and civilians from both the winning and losing sides.

Linky to info

Thursday night the 1st of June on PBS at 9pm their doing  a preview of the series
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#26]

The PT-76 was a fast scout tank, but lightly armored.  Very easy to attack and kill with a Cobra.  The T-54 & 55 main battle tanks required HEAT Rounds to kill.

The main guy on the ground that we were in contact with at Loc Ninh in '72 was Captain Mark A. Smith, call sign Zippo.  He escaped Loc Ninh and survived the war.  Here is an interesting account of his side of the battle:

View Quote
Snake did you ever see the bird you flew in Vietnam ever again after you left country?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Awesome.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CrazedCat:
Ken Burns Finally has gotten to the Vietnam War .

Premieres Sunday September 17, 2017 at 8/7c.

In an immersive narrative, Ken Burns and Lynn Novick tell the epic story of the Vietnam War as it has never before been told on film. The Vietnam War features testimony from nearly 100 witnesses, including many Americans who fought in the war and others who opposed it, as well as Vietnamese combatants and civilians from both the winning and losing sides.

Linky to info

Thursday night the 1st of June on PBS at 9pm their doing  a preview of the series
View Quote
And thanks for posting this. Definitely programming the DVR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By saigamanTX:
Snake did you ever see the bird you flew in Vietnam ever again after you left country?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By saigamanTX:

Nope, most of them were destroyed with battle damage throughout the battle.  I never really got attached to my aircraft.  They were just a means to an end for me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Everyone I ever saw on the Dustoff's were Fearless when it came to coming into a Hot LZ to pick up our wounded , was your Boss a Medic on one of the Dustoff's ..

Originally Posted By MILLERLGT82:
God bless all who served over there, you are not forgotten about in my household and if any of you are ever in my area beers are on me.
It's the least I can do to show my appreciation for all you gave over there.

I talked to my old boss today who was in a dust off unit and thanked him, he is one that can still talk about it, and while we worked together I showed him this thread and sent him a link as well there would be a number of times I would stop at his desk and he would be reading it and I was one of the few at work where he would share stories of his time over there.

For his retirement gift I found and got him a small repo door of a huey (it was 8x12") and mounted on a wood base and everyone signed it and he loved it and has it displayed now in a place of honor in his house.

From what he shared with me he was in the thick of things in some of the worse battles and they would fly in under all sorts of small and heavy arms fire and he would run out and work on the wounded.

Again, God bless all of you guys that were over there.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#32]

I don't really count since I wasn't there, BUT while writing a Cholon district bar scene in the sequel to Gentle Propositions yesterday, I listened to Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" and Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses". From there, YouTube took me to "When I Was Young" by the Animals, Del Shannon's "Move It On Over", and finally "Shape of Things" by the Yardbirds.

Epic inspiration for mentally putting me in a place and time I've never been to before. Timeframe in the story is now early March 1970.
View Quote
I can remember hearing MCR for the 1st time in my flight helmet while flying as a gunner over LZ Sharon/Quang Tri. We would monitor AFVN Radio and Birthcontrol 6 (artillary directive chan) while flying out.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DanDaVinchi:
I can remember hearing MCR for the 1st time in my flight helmet while flying as a gunner over LZ Sharon/Quang Tri. We would monitor AFVN Radio and Birthcontrol 6 (artillary directive chan) while flying out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCHXHVEFwIc
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DanDaVinchi:

I don't really count since I wasn't there, BUT while writing a Cholon district bar scene in the sequel to Gentle Propositions yesterday, I listened to Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" and Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses". From there, YouTube took me to "When I Was Young" by the Animals, Del Shannon's "Move It On Over", and finally "Shape of Things" by the Yardbirds.

Epic inspiration for mentally putting me in a place and time I've never been to before. Timeframe in the story is now early March 1970.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCHXHVEFwIc
 Badass callsign.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILLERLGT82] [#34]
Originally Posted By M10KEN:
Everyone I ever saw on the Dustoff's were Fearless when it came to coming into a Hot LZ to pick up our wounded , was your Boss a Medic on one of the Dustoff's ..
View Quote
He was

He was in the 54th
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Badass post

I recently made a post and updated it about a Nam themed Documentary

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1996328_.html&page=1&anc=66199271#i66199271
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#37]
God bless you all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#38]
At the range today and there was a family of Vietnamese. They were speaking Vietnamese and shooting pistols but not well. I tried helping them with advise and demonstration but it didn't help. They shot more than 200 rounds at one of those 10 inch sticky targets at 25 yards but only hit it 4 times.

It was very weird for me teaching Vietnamese to shoot.
View Quote
Why? The ones here, like me, are probably more patriotic and pro-America than any other refugee groups out there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm dumb. The name of the book is "Team Sgt" by William T Craig
book
View All Quotes

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Destroyed_PT76_tank_at_Ben_Het.jpg
I'm dumb. The name of the book is "Team Sgt" by William T Craig
book
Oh shit, yeah that book's been on my list for a while now. The cover photo has always stirred something inside me. Truly inspiring.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#40]
man,i thank all you vets!you guys got balls!....i gotta ask,was the enemy mainly hidden the bulk of the time?it seems like the old films i see,it shows what looks like guys just kinda shooting into the forest and such?.if thats the case,that would drive me nuts!not being able to see what im shooting at!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By hanker71:
man,i thank all you vets!you guys got balls!....i gotta ask,was the enemy mainly hidden the bulk of the time?it seems like the old films i see,it shows what looks like guys just kinda shooting into the forest and such?.if thats the case,that would drive me nuts!not being able to see what im shooting at!
View Quote
From what I understand, when you saw them, you only saw a few. But you knew there were always more of them lurking deeper inside the brush.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Vietnam Wall Catalogue of Items - National Park Service

"Items Left at The Wall - The Virtual Collection

NPS logo
Since the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall) was dedicated in November 1982, more than 400,000 items have been left by visitors as remembrances and tributes. The National Park Service collects, catalogs, and preserves these objects as part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial collection, with curatorial support from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund.

These are the curatorial records of a small portion of the items that have been left at The Wall over the years, but this is the largest collection of items left at The Wall ever made available to the public. Once the Education Center is funded and constructed, approximately 4,000-6,000 items will be on public display."
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rlltd42:
Vietnam Wall Catalogue of Items - National Park Service

"Items Left at The Wall - The Virtual Collection

NPS logo
Since the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall) was dedicated in November 1982, more than 400,000 items have been left by visitors as remembrances and tributes. The National Park Service collects, catalogs, and preserves these objects as part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial collection, with curatorial support from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund.

These are the curatorial records of a small portion of the items that have been left at The Wall over the years, but this is the largest collection of items left at The Wall ever made available to the public. Once the Education Center is funded and constructed, approximately 4,000-6,000 items will be on public display."
View Quote
Wow that is amazing.  I saw it more than 20 years ago and didn't really grasp what it meant until I got a bit older.  Reading through some of those hand written letters is both heart wrenching and heart warming.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I went to see the Traveling Wall when it came to Unionville ,MO several years ago , I stayed about 3 hrs , walking up and down looking at all the Names , and later found the ones that were KIA from my unit  , and one name that I had been wondering about for years , there it was on the wall , I then thought how lucky I was to get home alive, to get married , and to have kids of my own , when so many left in those cold black body bags , I made my way back to my PU and started home , several miles down the road I had to pull over because I was blinded by my tears , and could hardly stop them until I got home , there are times when I wish I had never went to see it , it did bring back a lot of great memories and some not so great , looking at the wall also brought back all those smiling faces I remember when we were there ...
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

Wow that is amazing.  I saw it more than 20 years ago and didn't really grasp what it meant until I got a bit older.  Reading through some of those hand written letters is both heart wrenching and heart warming.
View Quote
I remember seeing things laid there and an older man get down on a knee, look around and while one hand was on the wall he slipped a folded up note in front of the wall.
He got up quickly and wiped a tear from his eye and walked away and didn't look back.

Other people in my group wanted to pick up or touch the items and one of the teachers in the group was a vet and he yelled at them to show some fucking respect.(some kids were shocked as this was a Catholic school ttrip)
You could tell it was a roller coaster of emotions he was going through while we were there and one of the park service Rangers there explained to us about the items left there.

It nice to see that they are going to display some of them, but I think the notes shouldn't be in my opinion as they are part of the healing and are personal between the person who wrote them and who they were left for.

You are right about the letters

Again, you vets are not forgotten in my household and God bless everyone of you
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#47]

That's way overdue.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Striker:
a long time coming...
View Quote
Outstanding.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#49]
May 1969 was a pretty rough time for people in the Americal Division. As I remember.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#50]
It was pretty tuff on alot of GI's if you were in RVN in 69

May 1969 was a pretty rough time for people in the Americal Division. As I remember.
View Quote
Page / 43
Vietnam. (Page 33 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top