BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 1713
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaiK:
Ofcourse BBIG spikes right after I sell my calls.
View Quote

I've been trying to decide whether to buy back my 11s, figured I'd wait until it went up and I wanted to sell calls at a more valuable strike.
If it ends up costing me more than .05 to buy them back I'll be slightly sad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Ofcourse BBIG spikes right after I sell my calls.
View Quote

Sounds about like my luck
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, why didn't I put more into PROG?

Up 75% in a week.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this a weekday? Thread usually adds a few pages a day during the week
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By goodasgone81:
I'll probably call out the fidelity $100 dollars for depositing $50 a few times today.... damn good deal if you're considering a brokerage anyways (anyone using RH should)
View Quote
My son is on RH and I'm going to talk him into getting out of that shithole - $100 for a $50 deposit should be plenty of incentive.  I'm also going to leverage it to open a ROTH for my wife.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
so, I just got coffee and my usual place at work... I interrupted the kid working there, he was busy trading options on his app. We talked a bit and he seems to be chasing some meme stocks and big movers.

literally sent chills down my spine reminding me of the quote about shoeshines giving market tips and the subsequent crash. I'm getting pretty nervous for the house of cards to come down but damn, no idea what to do with the money in my account to try and make some damn more....
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
so, I just got coffee and my usual place at work... I interrupted the kid working there, he was busy trading options on his app. We talked a bit and he seems to be chasing some meme stocks and big movers.

literally sent chills down my spine reminding me of the quote about shoeshines giving market tips and the subsequent crash. I'm getting pretty nervous for the house of cards to come down but damn, no idea what to do with the money in my account to try and make some damn more....
View Quote

Well my account has been fucked for a couple of months. Only thing green is DWAC
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

View Quote

So what stocks did he recommend?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
My son is on RH and I'm going to talk him into getting out of that shithole - $100 for a $50 deposit should be plenty of incentive.  I'm also going to leverage it to open a ROTH for my wife.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
I'll probably call out the fidelity $100 dollars for depositing $50 a few times today.... damn good deal if you're considering a brokerage anyways (anyone using RH should)

It was super easy for me already being a brokerage user.... even already got them email confirming the $100 already (although not deposited)  just make sure promo is listed in the application,  I had the promo copied and ready to paste but going through the supplied links it automatically had the promo listed
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Is he in prison or do you think Microvision could hire him to handle marketing/IR?  Just curious
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88fWUZhYb04

Great reminder for DD ... the dude had failed after failed company.
Is he in prison or do you think Microvision could hire him to handle marketing/IR?  Just curious

You know what the funny part is?

Milton did all that, with no product.  That video was released early this morning.  NKLA is still up +2.36 right at this moment.

MicroVision not only has IP, but a product that's been realized.  Why aren't we progressing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Someone who's closer to Ryan should @ him.  I don't know him good enough to rub salt in the wound any more than a few of us already did on Friday.  He needs to get out of Robinhood.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Why is ME up?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FelisTacet] [#13]
Originally Posted By Malbec:
Why is ME up?
View Quote

I asked myself that at 7:30am, then I went back to sleep.

No, anyway, I don't see news.  My errant 50 shares (I try to keep multiples of 100 now for writing call contracts) showed a sell execution at $10.99 this morning.  That's fine.

Anyone else with news for us on 23andMe?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
How come on all the hit articles on MVIS, they always say Luminar or Velodyne will end up being a winner in lidar? They never mention all the IP MVIS owns. Does anyone here that invests in MVIS also have shares in any of the other lidar companies?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:52:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wyomingnick] [#15]
Any ideas of stocks that are good to regularly sell covered calls on ?

I'd like to try and set myself up with some regular income from calls.

Ideally they would be able to have the ability to trade weekly call dates not monthly like SENS.

I like AAPL already doing that. SENS is good too but I have enough tied up in that for a speculative stock. Not sure how much deeper I want to go so I don't get deep in the red like MVIS.

Really looking for ideas like AAPL, a bit more stable with decent options. Any ideas I can check out?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FelisTacet:

Milton did all that, with no product.  That video was released early this morning.  NKLA is still up +2.36 right at this moment.

MicroVision not only has IP, but a product that's been realized.  Why aren't we progressing?
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88fWUZhYb04

Great reminder for DD ... the dude had failed after failed company.

Should be easy for a guy like that to get MVIS to $60b market cap at least once.  That's good enough for me
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By war86:

This is the way
View Quote

It's fine they are decaying so fast I'm   already positive on them with stock up another $.2.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

I've been trying to decide whether to buy back my 11s, figured I'd wait until it went up and I wanted to sell calls at a more valuable strike.
If it ends up costing me more than .05 to buy them back I'll be slightly sad.
View Quote

Could roll down and out. Or just down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

No Hype!
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
How come on all the hit articles on MVIS, they always say Luminar or Velodyne will end up being a winner in lidar? They never mention all the IP MVIS owns. Does anyone here that invests in MVIS also have shares in any of the other lidar companies?
View Quote

Those people probably own stock in those other companies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

Ideally they would be able to have the ability to trade weekly call dates not monthly like SENS.

I like AAPL already doing that. SENS is good too but I have enough tied up in that for a speculative stock. Not sure how much deeper I want to go so I don't get deep in the red like MVIS.

Really looking for ideas like AAPL, a bit more stable with decent options. Any ideas I can check out?
View Quote

Ocgn
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

More likely are being paid by those companies, or someone heavily invested in them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Sold some $10 MVIS calls for .26-30 this AM.
And just now got .25 for a $5 BBIG put.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

Ocgn
View All Quotes

Ocgn

Looks kinda speculative and volatile like BBIG or MVIS, thinking more like AAPL, F, XOM, etc. But not everything has good options chains, I really like AAPL so far wondering what else is out there like that. Good division of strike prices, weekly call dates, probably a promising future in and of itself.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:

More likely are being paid by those companies, or someone heavily invested in them.
View All Quotes

At least based on Google searches it seems like investors place writes a ton about mvis for some reason,  87% negative and the rest neutral
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Ocgn
View Quote

thanks for the tip on this, they are paying 4-5% on well out of the money calls expiring this week. 10% if you want play close to current share price.

If I can make 5% realized gains a week I am a very happy camper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Looks kinda speculative and volatile like BBIG or MVIS, thinking more like AAPL, F, XOM, etc. But not everything has good options chains, I really like AAPL so far wondering what else is out there like that. Good division of strike prices, weekly call dates, probably a promising future in and of itself.

View All Quotes

Ocgn

NVDA has proven to be a winner for me
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#28]

View Quote

Its been bouncing between 7.50 and 9 regularly for the last 5 months or so. I have 500 shares, and have made half my initial investment back selling covered calls. I wouldmt buy right now, but selling $8 puts is probably a winner.  Could get 80 bucks a contract out of them for nov 12.  Been doing very well with them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#29]

At least based on Google searches it seems like investors place writes a ton about mvis for some reason,  87% negative and the rest neutral
View All Quotes

Investors place seems to allow anyone to submit articles with no oversight, so if you have a paid hack to publish, it's a good place to do so.  Seeking Alpha used to be the king of that, but seems to have dropped off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FelisTacet] [#30]

View All Quotes

Ocgn

The big ones like AAPL, XOM (bonus, nice dividend that I think will increase even more shortly), and F to an extent you are paying big into them to get those 100+ shares to get those option premiums.  

But like you said, OCGN is more speculative and doesn't have that safe foundation like the others.  But, that's the "price" you pay for nice premiums.  The good part about that volatility is that you can get in at a low price point.  The risk DOES balance that out though.

You can start out by selling put contracts and wait until they execute to get in on them (as long as they don't go deep ITM, then roll), then start running calls on them.

Here's some that I'm doing puts and calls on right now, most are easy to get into at minimal cost.  Do your research and see if you're willing to run the risk associated.  Some are weekly, some aren't:

CLOV:  Weekly options, trading around $7.50 currently.
GDXJ:  Weekly options, trading around $45.50 currently (very volatile).
RIOT:  Weekly options, trading around $29.25 currently (volatile as fuck, will stress you out pretty bad).
WISH:  Weekly options, trading around $5.50 currently (my cost basis is down on this one, but chipping away nicely due to weekly options).
OCGN:  Weekly options, trading around $8.50 currently.
NKLA:  Weekly options, trading around $11.00 currently (be weary of this one, as mentioned above.  I've been doing VERY good on it, but I don't hold a lot).
BBIG:  Weekly options, trading around $5.50 currently (I've been timing this SOB poorly since the start.  Lost a lot, but that's my fault).
SENS: Weekly options, trading around $3.50 currently (horrible premiums due to not being very volatile, but the company has great prospects).
MVIS:  Weekly options, trading around $8.75 currently (oh Mavis, why can't I quit you).

CLNE:  Monthly options, trading around $3.75 currently.
ME:  Monthly options, trading around $11.00 currently.
RIDE:  Monthly options, trading around $5.00 currently.
UWMC:  Monthly options, trading around $7.00 currently.
ASTR:  Monthly options, trading around $9.50 currently (I really like this one, wish it had weeklies).
GOED:  Monthly options, trading around $3.00 currently (just started on this one a few weeks ago, and doing good).
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

@wyomingnick
This a good tool to help find good option chains: https://www.barchart.com/options.

I'm still learning how to use it, but found it decent enough to get a subscription and learn more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#32]
20 years ago I used to look at http://www.coveredcalls.com/

I literally haven't been to that site in many years, but it used to have nice screening tools for stocks with call premiums at a high percentage of stock price.
Caution, those tend to be the stocks which won't nicely sit there while the options decay.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#33]

The big ones like AAPL, XOM (bonus, nice dividend that I think will increase even more shortly), and F to an extent you are paying big into them to get those 100+ shares to get those option premiums.  

But like you said, OCGN is more speculative and doesn't have that safe foundation like the others.  But, that's the "price" you pay for nice premiums.  The good part about that volatility is that you can get in at a low price point.  The risk DOES balance that out though.

You can start out by selling put contracts and wait until they execute to get in on them (as long as they don't go deep ITM, then roll), then start running calls on them.

Here's some that I'm doing puts and calls on right now, most are easy to get into at minimal cost.  Do your research and see if you're willing to run the risk associated.  Some are weekly, some aren't:

RIOT:  Weekly options, trading around $29.25 currently (volatile as fuck, will stress you out pretty bad).
WISH:  Weekly options, trading around $5.50 currently (my cost basis is down on this one, but chipping away nicely due to weekly options).
NKLA:  Weekly options, trading around $11.00 currently (be weary of this one, as mentioned above.  I've been doing VERY good on it, but I don't hold a lot).
BBIG:  Weekly options, trading around $5.50 currently (I've been timing this SOB poorly since the start.  Lost a lot, but that's my fault).
SENS: Weekly options, trading around $3.50 currently (horrible premiums due to not being very volatile, but the company has great prospects).
MVIS:  Weekly options, trading around $8.75 currently (oh Mavis, why can't I quit you).

ASTR:  Monthly options, trading around $9.50 currently (I really like this one, wish it had weeklies).
GOED:  Monthly options, trading around $3.00 currently (just started on this one a few weeks ago, and doing good).
View All Quotes

Ocgn

Great list. I was going to mention a bunch of former SPACs because they are beaten down and volatile as hell, hence good premiums. Some other stocks with decent premiums are ATER, MVST, SDC, WKHS, and maybe PSFE.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]

No, anyway, I don't see news.  My errant 50 shares (I try to keep multiples of 100 now for writing call contracts) showed a sell execution at $10.99 this morning.  That's fine.

View All Quotes
Why is ME up?

Think Cramer was jerking them off last week.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Ugh, ME is a prime example of why I hate running options on tickers that don't have weeklies.  The $10 calls have almost doubled since thursday/friday and still more than 2 weeks until expiration.  So I'm going to likely miss an opportunity with this spike.  

SENS is another one without weeklies that drives me nuts.  I would much rather sell weeklies at $10 a pop than have to sell a monthly for $40 and miss all the weekly ups and downs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Its been bouncing between 7.50 and 9 regularly for the last 5 months or so. I have 500 shares, and have made half my initial investment back selling covered calls. I wouldmt buy right now, but selling $8 puts is probably a winner.  Could get 80 bucks a contract out of them for nov 12.  Been doing very well with them.
View All Quotes

I will look into that but it isn't exactly what I had in mind.

I'll still check it out though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By skydive70:

@wyomingnick
This a good tool to help find good option chains: https://www.barchart.com/options.

I'm still learning how to use it, but found it decent enough to get a subscription and learn more.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skydive70:

@wyomingnick

Thanks I'll check that out tonight for sure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:54:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wyomingnick] [#38]

View All Quotes

Ocgn

SENS trades monthly ? What am I missing ? Could it be different with different brokerages. On fidelity the options chain for SENS is monthly. I don't think the prices are terrible for premiums either considering the price of the stock.

I don't think I will sell any calls on XOM. XOM is a long term hold for me, and I already lost some of my shares selling calls that I did not think would exercise and then we had this recent big push for oil stocks and I lost.

Just have 100 shares of XOM I bought back at a higher cost, and for now they'll stay put.

But stocks like that are ideally what I am looking for. So far I've done well with AAPL calls.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:01:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FelisTacet] [#39]

SENS trades monthly ? What am I missing ? Could it be different with different brokerages. On fidelity the options chain for SENS is monthly. I don't think the prices are terrible for premiums either considering the price of the stock.

I don't think I will sell any calls on XOM. XOM is a long term hold for me, and I already lost some of my shares selling calls that I did not think would exercise and then we had this recent big push for oil stocks and I lost.

Just have 100 shares of XOM I bought back at a higher cost, and for now they'll stay put.

But stocks like that are ideally what I am looking for. So far I've done well with AAPL calls.
View All Quotes

Ocgn

SENS is monthly currently.  That can and does change on occasion, and there's a formula the clearing houses use but it's complex as to when they change the options timeframe.  cmsnare talked about it in the past.

SENS is poor on premiums compared to others in its price range, but that's due to volatility as of late.

XOM is excellent.  Also, be careful on your strike dates when selling calls on dividend stocks.  you can actually lose gains on a dividend stock if it's called away just before the ex-dividend date.  Need to pay close attention to that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Why is ME up?

It's been a few days but they were upgraded to a "buy" with a target price of $40.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Fucking ME.

Most of my contracts expired on 10/15...when it was selling for under $8.00 a share. Now it's at $11.46.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Fucking ME.

Most of my contracts expired on 10/15...when it was selling for under $8.00 a share. Now it's at $11.46.
View Quote

You're like how I am with BBIG, didn't time it right, I know the feeling .

I've some ME calls @ $10 for 11/19 I sold for .52 per share out there in the wild.  Just above my cost basis, not sure I want to buy back yet.  I screwed myself over doing that with BBIG.

I have four puts I sold out there for $10 on 11/19 also.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#43]

I've some ME calls @ $10 for 11/19 I sold for .52 per share out there in the wild.  Just above my cost basis, not sure I want to buy back yet.  I screwed myself over doing that with BBIG.
View Quote

Maybe instead of buying back you could roll them out to December and pocket more premium or raise the strike price.
If FOMO makes you want to buy the calls back, are the puts down enough in price to buy back for a nice profit?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Maybe instead of buying back you could roll them out to December and pocket more premium or raise the strike price.
If FOMO makes you want to buy the calls back, are the puts down enough in price to buy back for a nice profit?
View All Quotes

I should have said roll, that's what I typically do.  Buy back to roll.

Sometimes it's a two-stage roll, I'll buy back on a stock downturn, and wait for a little upswing to sell it again.  But yeah, in this instance premiums are up so you're correct, it will be an instant roll out (and probably up).
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Fucking ME.

View Quote

The debt limit crisis was punted to early december, which means market should take a beating mid nov -- so call for Nov 19 to early dec could expire out of the money, or be easily bought back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#46]

SENS is monthly currently.  That can and does change on occasion, and there's a formula the clearing houses use but it's complex as to when they change the options timeframe.  cmsnare talked about it in the past.

SENS is poor on premiums compared to others in its price range, but that's due to volatility as of late.

XOM is excellent.  Also, be careful on your strike dates when selling calls on dividend stocks.  you can actually lose gains on a dividend stock if it's called away just before the ex-dividend date.  Need to pay close attention to that.
View All Quotes

Ocgn

+1 Aware of that thanks.

Are you saying XOM is a excellent stock to sell options on or just an excellent stock because of the stability and dividends. I like the stock. I wish I hadn't lost 60% of my shares with selling a dumb call, but that is the learning curve.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#47]

The debt limit crisis was punted to early december, which means market should take a beating mid nov -- so call for Nov 19 to early dec could expire out of the money, or be easily bought back.
View All Quotes
Fucking ME.

Interesting thought.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#48]
sold MVIS and bought APLD last month, finally started making some money.

APLD

you can thank me later.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#49]

+1 Aware of that thanks.

Are you saying XOM is a excellent stock to sell options on or just an excellent stock because of the stability and dividends. I like the stock. I wish I hadn't lost 60% of my shares with selling a dumb call, but that is the learning curve.
View All Quotes

Ocgn

+1 Aware of that thanks.

Excellent stock because it's been doing good lately.  Also, yeah, that nice dividend.

It's fine to sell calls on, but be aware of the differences when it comes to selling covered call contracts on dividend stocks.

I have a lot of shares of XOM, but I haven't sold calls on them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 58Teague] [#50]
Originally Posted By Chewy18:
sold MVIS and bought APLD last month, finally started making some money.

APLD

you can thank me later.

View Quote

EDIT;

Its a ETH mining play, not that I doubt crypto plays, I think I'd rather stick with lady MVIS and the ability to sell calls while I wait for a sale/merger.
Page / 1713
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top