Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 7/1/2023 10:30:13 PM EDT
I want to start off by saying I'm not a complainer. I've been a gun owner for over 20 years, have dozens of firearms, and I've taken care of my weapons many times on remote PBs in Iraq and Afghanistan without issue. I'm not the kind of guy that whines about scratches on my new Colt. But I had an experience today that really pissed me off and wanted to warn others.  

I recently bought a new Bula M14 Scout model from Atlantic. I was very pleased with the rifle (still am). Very nice out of the box, mirror bore, great finish, nice wood. I purchased some Mesko 7.62 Nato from PSA clearly listed as "non-corrosive" and took it to the range last week. I zeroed it and put about 40 rounds total through it just shooting steel. Rifle performed flawlessly, about 2.5 MOA from the bench with above ammo and open sites which I think is more than reasonable with military ball ammo.

I came home and DIDN'T clean the rifle because....why would I? I basically never clean firearms coming home from the range unless: they are something I plan on depending on for carry, they get wet/muddy, or if I use corrosive ammo. Yes, sometimes I shoot old corrosive surplus in my mosin or my enfield but I clean with warm water and windex and I've never had an issue. I put the rifle away in my safe that has desiccant in it.

I should note here that it was a sunny day, the rifle did not get wet, and that I've never had a rust issue with ANY firearm. All the other rifles in the safe are fine.

Today I was going out to the range and grabbed the rifle. It was kinda dark and I thought I saw a little rust on the flash hider and thought to myself "That's kinda annoying, NBD, I'll clean this off when I get home. As soon as I stepped out into the sun the flash hider looked VERY rusty so I checked the chamber and bore. Yup, rust city. Total sewer pipe. The other externals of the rifle are fine. As I said before, I checked the other guns in the safe, all fine. I can't think of any other explanation but that this Mesko stuff is in fact corrosive.

Fairly pissed about this.

EDIT: thanks to HEAVYMETAL I checked the primer which is berdan and not boxer like the product description... the plot thickens

UPDATE: This has been resolved. PSA offered to take the rifle in for inspection and possible barrel replacement. In the meantime I cleaned the shit out of it until it actually looked pretty good, no pitting, minor discoloration only. I took it out to the range and it shot essentially as well as before. Given the gun runs well, groups reasonably, and I'm not planning on shooting competitions anytime soon, I elected to decline their offer. They replaced the MESKO ammo with non-corrosive stuff

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that isn’t good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You REALLY believed it wasn't corrosive...

comeoneman.biden
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks, but there is a reason why you are supposed to keep your weapons clean. I locked up an SKS with corrosive ammo.

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#5]
In.

Curious about what’s going on here.

Well. Review of PSA says it’s non corrosive primer. They didn’t say the powder itself is non corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda fucked up.  I used to shoot a decent amount of trash can guys with corrosive shit and didn't have them rust like that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I could understand if it was 7.62X39 or 7.62X54r, but .308!  Looks like corrosive primers to me!
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You bought ammo with jibber jabber on the label and are surprised it was corrosive?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

comeoneman.biden
View Quote

I mean if they said nothing that would be one thing....but they labeled it as non-corrosive. Do you clean all your weapons with windex every time you come home from the range?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
wow
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

comeoneman.biden
View Quote

It's new production ammo from Poland. Not like it came out of a Soviet era spam can.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Clean it up and shoot Prvi in it
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You bought ammo with jibber jabber on the label and are surprised it was corrosive?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's new production ammo from Poland. Not like it came out of a Soviet era spam can.
View Quote

Exactly. 2019 production military ammo from a Nato country. Listed as non-corrosive. I don't think I was being imprudent. I assume all you naysayers clean with windex after you shoot some Prvi?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Mostly non corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, that sucks. Jamin might have to call you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Flounder You F ked Up You Trust Us
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exactly. 2019 production military ammo from a Nato country. Listed as non-corrosive. I don't think I was being imprudent. I assume all you naysayers clean with windex after you shoot some Prvi?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clears throat, leans forward in PSA branded gaming chair, adjusts PSA hat, moves mouse to hit reply on PSA mousepad…..

Of course.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's my deciding factor, any ammo in boxes that look like that is automatically considered corrosive and gets a barrel soaking before sundown same day it was shot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Somebody needs to CC PSA into this conversation,

I don't remember the account names precisely or I would.
View Quote

@PalmettoStateArmory
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, that sucks. How long did it sit?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
On an entirely related note......what is the best way to unfuck a barrel like this? Just clp and brass bush like hell? Soak with hoppe's overnight?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, that sucks. How long did it sit?
View Quote

approx two weeks
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive never seen anything like that with Prvi after shooting and not cleaning
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#31]
If I’m not mistaken that appears to be corrosion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#32]
That's fucked up. I love PSA but that's a big no bueno.  I honestly thought only the old Soviet shit was corrosive these days.

I'd be incredibly surprised if they didn't make good on it, they're a good company. Keep us in the loop OP.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In.

Curious about what's going on here.

Well. Review of PSA says it's non corrosive primer. They didn't say the powder itself is non corrosive.
View Quote

If ammunition is corrosive, it's because the primer is (potassium chlorate).

And corrosive ammunition is great for long term storage.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can read and understand it just fine and it's not a language I've ever studied
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry I was being a wiseass. Kind of a reaction to "you shot foreign/eastern European ammo and didn't assume it was corrosive you dumbass?!"

My point being that Prvi is eastern European ammo and I assume the vast majority of people don't even consider this being a possibility with Prvi.

With this being recent production military ammo from Poland, the concern didn't cross my mind
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I’m not mistaken that appears to be corrosion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Unless you buy American made ammo, consider it to be corrosive!

Clean EVERY part of your gun that the primer compound comes into contact with. To include EVERY part of the weapon, take stock off and put it the shower if you have to! Clean with HOT soapy water, dry off, some kind of CLP (EWL from Slip2000) everywhere in a light coat.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#39]
That sucks.  

Had a similar experience with Wolf "non-corrosive" 6.5 Grendel a few years back.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I came into this thread expecting to talk shit to you, now I just feel bad. There is an obvious issue here, hopefully you can get it cleared up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I came into this thread expecting to talk shit to you, now I just feel bad. There is an obvious issue here, hopefully you can get it cleared up.
View Quote

LOL, thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh this meme lower is gonna be dank
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am curious.  Can you look into a fired case with a bright light and see if it's berdan or boxer primed?
View Quote

Good catch! It's berdan contrary to the product description. I wonder if PSA got a counterfeit batch?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sorry I was being a wiseass. Kind of a reaction to "you shot foreign/eastern European ammo and didn't assume it was corrosive you dumbass?!"

My point being that Prvi is eastern European ammo and I assume the vast majority of people don't even consider this being a possibility with Prvi.

With this being recent production military ammo from Poland, the concern didn't cross my mind
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest, I wouldnt think modern Polish ammo would be corrosive either.....................and its a damned shame you had to run across that crap. Prvi does make a declaration on their site that they dont use corrosive or mercuric primers in their ammo, but I'd have thought the Poles would do the same
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Might be a 3.5-5.5 MOA gun now
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like the ammo company owes you a new barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On an entirely related note......what is the best way to unfuck a barrel like this? Just clp and brass bush like hell? Soak with hoppe's overnight?
View Quote

You can't un-ring a bell.  When good barrels leave they don't come back.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You can't un-ring a bell.  When good barrels leave they don't come back.
View Quote

You think asking them to replace my barrel is overboard? Gun was less than a month old and had about 40 rounds through it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top