Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Lawyers would have banned them anyway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember using the fork lift at the dealership to move dozens of crates of them out to our back parking lots so the reps from the companies could take possession of them and have them placed in an 18 wheeler.
Not sure if true but my info was they were sent to shit hole countries to be sold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had no idea they were banned I just thought someone finally realized that four wheels was a better way at staying upright and not flying over one side of the handlebars.

I remember using the fork lift at the dealership to move dozens of crates of them out to our back parking lots so the reps from the companies could take possession of them and have them placed in an 18 wheeler.
Not sure if true but my info was they were sent to shit hole countries to be sold.

Some of the 1987 ATC trikes that made it to the US are high dollar unicorns these days.  Very rare.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try running you calves over with one.

You will be thanking the .gov.
View Quote

Been there done that
Still have scars
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently rode quads with some friends. They did not "get" why I was leaning and moving all over the saddle. I was on a utility quad. Loaner.

They freaked when I rode areas that they couldn't even imagine approaching.

Not a brag thread.

Riding a trike taught skills. Counterweight.

Motorcycle is the opposite.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my 85 250R was the most fun I have ever had. pants on or off. wasnt dangerous if you knew how to handle it.
I recently rode quads with some friends. They did not "get" why I was leaning and moving all over the saddle. I was on a utility quad. Loaner.

They freaked when I rode areas that they couldn't even imagine approaching.

Not a brag thread.

Riding a trike taught skills. Counterweight.

Motorcycle is the opposite.

The old lessons die hard. I learned on a trike and afterwards always shifted my weight around on a quad.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
My Honda ATC250R tried to kill me multiple times.

I wish I still had it
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let the free market work.  If its OK, it'll be OK. If not, the company making them and the companies selling them will be sued into oblivion.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The government is wise. The government knows what is best...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My Honda ATC250R tried to kill me multiple times.

I wish I still had it
View Quote
To be honest, that was safest platform to teach newbies how to operate a clutch. Like me.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I rolled/flipped one three times.   Then I learned they weren't meant to be used like I was using it and never had another issue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Had no idea they were banned I just thought someone finally realized that four wheels was a better way at staying upright and not flying over one side of the handlebars.
View Quote

Me either.
We still sold the ATC200x and ATC250R in 1986, but the TRX versions of both outsold them by a good margin.
I think the TRX350 Foreman was new that year, I don't remember how many we sold but I remember delivering one that was too big for the buyer to haul home himself. I managed to squeeze it into the boss' maxi length van.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a 200s then later a 200x. Loved them once you figured out how to ride it. My parents gave them away when I went to college. Would love to find a mint one today.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost everyone who rode my '82 250R got hurt on it. The guy I got it from son broke his back on it. We nicknamed her Christine... Fun as hell. They should not have been banned.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I hit a tree with one and broke my foot. It actually broke the foot rest off. It hurted me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember when I heard about the upcoming ban.  Heard it from a guy with an upper body cast (3 wheeler related).
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Flipped a little Yamaha 3 wheeler on the beach in Mexico, back in the late 80s.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Almost everyone who rode my '82 250R got hurt on it. The guy I got it from son broke his back on it. We nicknamed her Christine... Fun as hell. They should not have been banned.
View Quote
The only time that I got hurt was when I ran into some wire on our track. Field/lot. It was sabotage.

The neighbors and golfers hated us. I rode through buried wire at about 35 -40 mph. Next thing I knew I was airborne.

Rear axle was wrapped in wire. Somebody set a trap. I hit it.

A few weeks later the police told us no more riding there.

I could have been killed.

ETA:

I got hurt. Was wearing leathers and boots. I always wear a helmet. Was AZ so probably a long sleeve T-shirt.

That fucking hurt. Another kid who was there helped me unwrap the wire from the axle. I don't remember much after that.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Neighbor kid back in northern Wisconsin flipped one going at a pretty good rate of speed and broke his neck.  He was DOA.  His parents were never the same after that.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a 250sx - absolute blast to drive.  Neighbors had a 250r, we lived out in the country and had tracks, jumps, and trails all over.

Buried it in mud several times

Fun times!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a 250sx - absolute blast to drive.  Neighbors had a 250r, we lived out in the country and had tracks, jumps, and trails all over.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ezLrRfkQ0dk/hqdefault.jpg

Fun times!
View Quote
They float too.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Grew up riding a trizinger that we absolutey couldn't kill.   Two prebuscent kids did everything in our power to kill, he out sprite in the gas tank once because dad told us after it ran out of gas we were done.  Well a few laps and he comes out screaming why is it still running after it ran out of gas an hour ago.  He drained the sprite put some gas back in and it ran for another ten years before he sold it to someone and it is probably still running.

But we also.had an atc 185 and that's about as big as a three wheeler should be and I'm glad they banned the damn things.  Nothing but four wheels and above for my family.  Kids got an outlaw 90 and are learning the ropes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They float too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun times!
They float too.

Yeah we lived by the lake too and tested that out several times. The 110s with the big balloon tires were better for that.  Also had to test out how little ice was needed to drive on. We really pushed our luck with them.

Winter time was another challenge but we could get them to go through the snow too.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Government is never the answer

But they would have stopped making them anyways, too much liability
View Quote

This is the right answer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck NO, fuck the Gov.

Grew up with the three wheelers...never got injured because of...three wheels. Drifting was a thing back them before modern day drifting!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah we lived by the lake too and tested that out several times. The 110s with the big balloon tires were better for that.  Also had to test out how little ice was needed to drive on. We really pushed our luck with them.

Winter time was another challenge but we could get them to go through the snow too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun times!
They float too.

My dad wanted to know why there were rubber knobby tracks from one side of the pool to the other...

He broke me under interrogation.

We almost made it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck NO, fuck the Gov.

Grew up with the three wheelers...never got injured because of...three wheels. Drifting was a thing back them before modern day drifting!
View Quote
Bruce Penhall sliding, man.

I was all over that trike.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
No. Darwin, not .gov
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope.
The 80s proved to me that a couple generations wanted to be everyone's parent.
Lawn darts.
3 wheelers.
Machine guns.
Banned.

Bunch of fun hating assholes.

I had a tri-z 250. It was fun. I regret selling it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No. Darwin, not .gov
View Quote
If you knew how to ride them. They were cool.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#29]
It was for the children.

Many kids were hurt or killed by not knowing how to operate the machines. Honda had a rider safety program after the banning as I recall.

Had a Honda 200M. It was a smooth ride and a blast to slide through turns.  Lost it in a fire. Replaced it with a TRX250 and still use it nearly everyday, though it’s not as easy to slide. It’s 35 years old and still looks and runs great.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My dad wanted to know why there were rubber knobby tracks from one side of the pool to the other...

We almost made it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun times!
They float too.

We almost made it.

Lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have less skin on my outer left knee area from riding bitch on a 185 with no rear fenders while my girlfriend driving.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Hell no the gov shouldn't of banned them!

It's called population control!

Seriously, in 1987 my neighbor broke his back when he rolled one.
Very dangerous, like a hooker with aid herpes, but shouldn't of been banned.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, some people think a product is a good idea until funerals and ER visits start adding up.  Some examples.
Baker tree climbers, clackers, jarts, etc.  Sometimes an adult in the room needs to say “Wait a minute....”
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
They were absurdly easy to fuck up on if you weren't familiar with how to ride them or if you let your attention wander.

That being said, the government shouldn't have banned them. Sooner or later they would have been replaced with 4 wheelers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#36]
If the government hadn't banned them, the lawyers would have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fuck no it's not.  Next it will be motorcycles they will use the same reasoning they used for seatbelt laws. Then a hp and or performance limit of some sort.  Finally a weight limit, no one needs a large truck they just endanger everyone else on the road.  

In the end we will only be able to buy tiny boring cars that top out at 65mph I mean why build cars that can do a 100mph or more? Only criminals drive that fast!

Karen's over the next 2 decades...
View Quote

Some of these ideas were floated in the early 70s gas crisis.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#38]
4wheelers are superior, the 3wheeler ban only hastened their elimination, and at the same time saved a few lives.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I hate to say it, but those things were death traps.  I brought home my brand new 185, proceeded to take it out for a spin.  Went up a steep hill and ran out of oomph.  Pulled on the rear brakes and proceeded to flip backwards and on and on and on.  Don't have a clue how many backward revolutions we (me and the trike) went.  When we finally stopped and the dust settled, my brand new trike was all bent up to shit, and had my blood all over it.  Well, I got it repaired and didn't do that again!  I got pretty good on it, but it had a fatal flaw:  The brakes they used back then.  I was going at a pretty fair clip after going through a creek and found that I no longer HAD brakes.  When I healed up, I sold it.  Oh, and I distinctly remember having to fill up the tires with that stupid fix a flat junk because the tires back then SUCKED and were always getting flats.  Every ride.  Shitty tires, brakes that failed when wet, I could go on and on.  

But when they came out with quads, I was first in line...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#40]
The government shouldn't have taken upon themselves to ban 3-wheelers , but the ban was probably the right move.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Had one of these and rode the hell out of it

Always wanted one of these though

Or

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck yes the government was right! A friend had one of those Honda ATCs. I rode it exactly once. That thing was a death machine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

My buddies sister did just that back in late 70s.

Her foot slipped off the peg , and the left rear wheel rolled up her leg.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not a fan of gov't intervention.  But they were quite dangerous for idiot 10 year old kids.  Like me and my brother.  

We must have had 3 or 4 of them on the farm.  Multiple rollovers.  One broken bone for me, as a passenger.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#46]
You were off the saddle on these machines.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#47]
In high school rolled mine a few times
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#48]
The government shouldn't have banned them, but they were dangerous AF. I don't think I know anyone that owned one that didn't have at least one rollover.

I put one sideways across the outside of my ex GFs house before it rolled onto me, not seriously hurt. 5 minutes later my friend ran over a kid after almost rolling it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Geez!  Government did not ban them.
View Quote

This is GD, no place for facts.

Stop ruining our fun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You were off the saddle on these machines.

View Quote

Seems there are plenty of retards that didn't know how to ride a three wheeler in this thread and many of them like big gov.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top