Quoted:

Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little FYI,

chaps don't work worth diddly squat when your using an electric chain saw..

Why?

Torque.

An internal combustion engine will stall, but an electric motor has enough torque to continue spinning in some cases.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Slipping falls under "make sure my extremities do not get in the path..."

I swung a machete and kaiser blade a shitload when I was a kid/teenager and never cut myself with those either.  Similar concept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't saw my legs.  It has worked great for me.

Yup, and I just don't crash my car or get flat tires either.

The difference is, those 2 things are sometimes unavoidable.

I know where my body is when I'm using power tools.  I make sure my extremities do not get in the path of the stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts.
Until you slip.

I swung a machete and kaiser blade a shitload when I was a kid/teenager and never cut myself with those either.  Similar concept.

Okay boomer, so when you're tired, or distracted, you never make mistakes for 1/100th of a second, by 1/10th of an inch?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Chainsaws are a good counterexample for "but gunms are dangerous, they should be strictly regulated".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my First wildland sawyer course, 2 dudes buried the saw in their chaps.  Given how remote we were it would have likely been fatal for them as it was over the femoral artery.

Full PPE for saw work.
Chainsaws are a good counterexample for "but gunms are dangerous, they should be strictly regulated".
That's what happened to the bow saws, when used as intended they are fantastic, no kick back ect when dogs are not engaged or snag brush you are tost. Fantastic for bucking logs if your tall(I'm 6'4) I think they have been banned sence the 80's fed lawsuits regulations ect I have 4
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I know where my body is when I'm using power tools.  I make sure my extremities do not get in the path of the stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts.
View Quote

And you’ll probably make it through life never having a problem. I’ve been doing metal fabrication for over 15 years at this point, I’ve seen people cut off fingers, have cutoff wheels explode off grinders and catch them in the neck, face, or stomach. Saw someone get a ponytail caught in a lathe. Never had anything happen to me, but the difference between me and you is that I’m not naive enough to think it couldn’t happen to me, I know it just hasn’t yet. Any one of us could have a bad day where shit just goes sideways, even if you know what your doing and have done it 10,000 times before, one of these days your luck might run out, so why not play it safe and try to minimize the chance you’re gonna bury a chainsaw into your leg. Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Torque.

An internal combustion engine will stall, but an electric motor has enough torque to continue spinning in some cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little FYI,

Why?

Torque.

That's surprising. I'd expect the clutch to slip.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I made a mistake with my saw back in April and was happy as hell to have been wearing my chaps.

rktman26's stupidity

Immediately after calming down I went and bought a new pair.  

Just because we've always done something without the advantage of better equipment doesn't mean its the best course of action.  

I carry a modern striker fired pistol rather than defend myself with a cap and ball revolver, I wear my seatbelt in my truck and I don't run my saw without chaps.  

But, I also believe in freedom, so if someone doesn't want to do those things they can feel free not to.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Remember how we used to ride our bikes a lot without helmets and pads?  Remember how we used to jump on a trampoline that wasn't surrounded by a safety net?

Remember how we didn't die?

It's exactly like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When did chaps become "mandatory"? I remember cutting wood as a youngster and I don't remember them being a thing.

Remember how we used to ride our bikes a lot without helmets and pads?  Remember how we used to jump on a trampoline that wasn't surrounded by a safety net?

Remember how we didn't die?

It's exactly like that.

Image related...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
This

Quoted:
I always do. ??
View Quote

That
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Luckily, I have a strong understanding of physics and a lot of experience with stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts.

Know how some people can immediately see the potential for bad shit to happen and they correct a course of action to avoid it?  I'm that guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really need some. I spend a few hours a year using one and I'm not formally trained.

Recommend me some GD. I want some good 'uns.
View Quote
Husqvarna 531309503 Classic Chaps, Grey
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kind of cold out for chaps. Do you wear pants under them?
View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Funny story about that photo...

As I recall, they wanted to reinforce the highlighted areas, until someone pointed out that these were the planes that made it back.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#13]
if youre running an electric make sure you have electric rated chaps.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little FYI,

Why?

Torque.

Why would you expect an electric saw to need a clutch?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily, I have a strong understanding of physics and a lot of experience with stabby/cutty/spinny/grindy parts.

Know how some people can immediately see the potential for bad shit to happen and they correct a course of action to avoid it?  I'm that guy.

K.  I've been running power tools and lawn equipment since I was a pre-teen.  I spent about a decade in a machine shop running both manual and CNC lathes and mills.

The most serious injury I've ever had from any of those tools was a burn on my finger from a bench grinder with the side guard removed..

My dad was a safety Nazi in a "Pay attention to what you're doing" sort of way and beyond safety glasses, I've never felt the need for PPE unless I'm welding.

Again, do whatever you want.  I'll just continue my thing and not hurting myself.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little FYI,

Why?

Torque.

Oh. Duh
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Okay boomer, so when you're tired, or distracted, you never make mistakes for 1/100th of a second, by 1/10th of an inch?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you slip.

If 1/10th of an inch is all that's stopping you from chainsawing your leg, you're doing it wayyyyy wrong.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-20-2016/0c8kuU.gif

Police Academy - The Blue Oyster Bar
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  I remember in my highschool days, a classmate had a chainsaw chain break on him.  His leg, arm and face were badly lacerated.

Use proper precautions.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My mailman dropped in the office one day with mail.  Cool guy.  Said was going to cut some wood over the weekend.  I said "be sure to wear your chaps."  He kinda chuckled.  Came in on Monday and reminded me of my suggestion and then showed me his leg.
View Quote

If he came in on Monday it must have been that bad.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I always do. ??
View Quote

Yep, first post thing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I've done the same. Glad i had them on.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jesus Christ. Someone arguing against PPE. You can’t make this shit up. Chaps are a requirement when running a saw.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ. Someone arguing against PPE. You can't make this shit up. Chaps are a requirement when running a saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ. Someone arguing against PPE. You can't make this shit up. Chaps are a requirement when running a saw.

No, no they aren't.  They're a suggestion.

Millions of people get by just fine without them every year.  If they make you feel better, wear them, but don't act like everybody without them is going to end up with a bloody stump where their leg used to be.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Do chainsaw chaps need to be replaced after X years?  I have an old pair (literally, circa 1990) I've been wearing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Millions of people get by just fine without them every year.  If they make you feel better, wear them, but don't act like everybody without them is going to end up with a bloody stump where their leg used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you remove your seatbelts and airbags as well?  

Just because you’ve gotten away with running a saw without sticking it into your leg doesn’t mean it can’t/won’t happen. I have a ton of trigger time behind a saw.  Just because you think you know how to avoid chapping yourself doesn’t mean it won’t happen. It’s simply ignorance to think otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 36 trees down from Hurricane Ida.  It is a mess trying to get around to even buck limbs, much less cut the logs. I didn't even feel it happen, just noticed it when I took them off for the day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. We ran 6 saws for 9 hrs today and probably have another 4 hrs tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

the brother of someone i know was chainsawing in the front yard, no chaps. tapped his leg with the saw, cut his femoral, dead in 5 minutes. when i heard the story there was a doc present who said if he'd been there he woulldnt have been able to save him. i assume if he had something to reach in and clamp the artery he might have been able to but lacking that type of tool, the guy was done.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fine line between hard and stupid.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do chainsaw chaps need to be replaced after X years?  I have an old pair (literally, circa 1990) I've been wearing.
View Quote

Don’t know, but prolly not.  It’s not like body armor.  It’s a bunch of layers of woven cloth that when the chainsaw hits it, it’s designed for lots of strings to pull out and choke the clutch and stall the saw.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

the brother of someone i know was chainsawing in the front yard, no chaps. tapped his leg with the saw, cut his femoral, dead in 5 minutes. when i heard the story there was a doc present who said if he'd been there he woulldnt have been able to save him. i assume if he had something to reach in and clamp the artery he might have been able to but lacking that type of tool, the guy was done.
View Quote

Very scary.  

I read an account of a guy splitting with his old wedge and sledge.  The wedge was old and had become somewhat fractured.  Anyway, he cranked down on a strike and a piece of wedge splintered off and punctured his leg (and I assume the artery) and he bled out right at his woodpile.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have 36 trees down from Hurricane Ida.  It is a mess trying to get around to even buck limbs, much less cut the logs. I didn't even feel it happen, just noticed it when I took them off for the day.
View Quote

I'm surprised the sprocket didn't get wadded up.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a little "L" looking tear in some bluejeans from a chain saw.  It's about 3 inches tall by about 2 inches wide..  after that I have worn chaps every time.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I always do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe they do have to be replaced after a certain number of years. Wife and I were talking about that not long ago. Her chaps are old enough now it's about time. She's had formal training in that area, is a safety professional, and loves running a saw.

I used to work in the timber/sawmill industry and have seen some pretty nasty chainsaw injuries.

Chaps and a helmet, no question.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When did chaps become "mandatory"? I remember cutting wood as a youngster and I don't remember them being a thing.
View Quote

The number of potentially deadly  stuff I did when I was younger, and still do to this day is mind boggling.

I have gotten a bit better about minimizing  my risks after negative outcomes becausei don't heal as fast. Chaps are one of those things I do. Particularly when doing stupid but expedient stuff like single handing a 066 standing on a tree limb.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It always does right until it doesn't.
View Quote

Which is why you should wear a condom even when your wife has been fixed ??
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Me either
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Ruined my first pair of cheap husqvarna chaps when cutting brush and had just resharpened the chain. Tapped my leg just to the side of my kneecap and didn’t even notice till the saw wouldn’t rev up. I was 1/4 mile from the house alone. Shut the saw off and didn’t restart it until I bought new chaps. Echo full wrap pro chaps. Cheaper than even a quick ER visit. Also wear a helmet with a nice screen to keep the chips and branches outta my head.  

Wear them or don’t. Your choice. They’re hot but in addition to protecting from errant chains, they keep brambles from eating my legs alive. Lotsa nasty thorn vines where I cut.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve never worn them and never really thought about it.

Last winter my old saw gave out and I needed to replace it after a bad storm. No gas saws locally, everything sold out, so I picked up an electric though it wasn’t my first choice (I do have a nice inverter generator to run it away from the house if needed).

Hoooooly shit the first thing I thought after using it a minute or two is this sumbitch does NOT stop quickly when you let off ithe power it would fuck you up even worse than a gas saw if it ever got to you.

I need to go back to gas, and get some chaps.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I hav cut many vent holes in roofs, cut trees, etc. 100’s of hours doing storm work, etc. On day 5of storm cleanup I was sawing and slipped on wet branches, saw got my leg. 38 stitches inside and more outside. I got the saw stopped and clear of my rain pants and jeans. Irrigated wound and packed gauze and wrapped tightly. Off toER. Now I wear chaps. I would see homeowners cutting branches in full PPE and laugh before, not after that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes.  I remember in my highschool days, a classmate had a chainsaw chain break on him.  His leg, arm and face were badly lacerated.

Use proper precautions.
View Quote

Similarly I had the chain come off the bar( should have tightened it, but just on more cut and done) and slap my leg. Luckily it was not still rotating.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Words never come back to haunt.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was a kid I never wore earplugs or muffs while shooting either-I thought they were for pussies.

Them my dad bought a .357.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell no,  freeballin' always!
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh. Duh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little FYI,

Why?

Torque.

Oh. Duh

An electric saw can most definitely have a clutch. It’s a slipper as opposed to what you’d find on a gas saw.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top