Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:16:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#1]
I don't claim any special knowledge on stock investing Chromekilla. It is my Guess that we have not seen the worst of the recession yet.

I am staying with many of the stocks I have held a long time, but I also have lots of cash and CD's. I still drip dividends and buy the occasional stock, but mostly waiting. I have been retired over 10-years now and I am fortunate to still have a positive monthly cash flow, so I am one of the lucky ones not having pressure to produce income currently.

Most recessions last for about 289 days average, and a value reduction of approximately 37.5%. Question is, when do you start counting from? So I am looking for a nasdaq of 10,164 and s&p of 3,020 to start getting interested in buying seriously again. I don't think anyone can actually pick the bottom or the top of the market, but I will be happy if I can come close.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 2:55:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Idolan] [#2]
UWM is already the biggest mortgage lender in the country ( bigger than Rocket and every other bank ) Earnings are high because they can control the margins and the tighter the market gets with increasing rates the better it is for UWM as more and more small banks will close or have to cut staff which then hurts processing and underwriting speed. I can take a loan application tonight and by 1PM tomorrow have conditional underwriting approval and a call from the underwriter to review the items with me..Loan closings from application to the borrower getting the keys to their new home is regularly in 10-14 days.

They are eating up market share and the only way to get a loan from them is with a mortgage broker.

I am buying for the 10% now and reinvesting the dividends so during the next housing boom my investment is 2-4x

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Idolan:
UWM is already the biggest mortgage lender in the country ( bigger than Rocket and every other bank ) Earnings are high because they can control the margins and the tighter the market gets with increasing rates the better it is for UWM as more and more small banks will close or have to cut staff which then hurts processing and underwriting speed. I can take a loan application tonight and by 1PM tomorrow have conditional underwriting approval and a call from the underwriter to review the items with me..Loan closings from application to the borrower getting the keys to their new home is regularly in 10-14 days.

They are eating up market share and the only way to get a loan from them is with a mortgage broker.

I am buying for the 10% now and reinvesting the dividends so during the next housing boom my investment is 2-4x

View Quote

Thanks for the reply, and well done explanation Idolan.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Waiting to see what Monday brings. Definitely feels on the cusp of a slide backwards
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking for 7-12% div stocks.

Where does everyone think about like good,glad,or arcc?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 4:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#8]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
Looking for 7-12% div stocks.

Where does everyone think about like good,glad,or arcc?
View Quote

I don't speak for everyone here, but for me and I think many others maybe, we are waiting for a further market drop before we buy more stocks.

I like dividend paying stocks but the dividend in the short run doesn't help you if the stock goes down in value. So for me, I try to buy at a good price and the dividend is the extra benefit.

I hold mostly dividend paying stocks, and over years they can really make a positive difference, but I bought them because I thought they would also rise in value.

Maybe others will reply with other points of view. Currently I am mostly buying CD's, collecting the interest, and while the interest may be rather small, the risk of loss on a CD in an insured bank is almost nothing. I do keep some funds in cash should I see what I think is a bargain value stock.

One last thought. If one thinks that a recession in 2023 will generally cause corporate profits to greatly drop, then the dividend may drop or disappear with the lower profits.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 6:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Finally getting some good movement up in PSNY.

Nice looking ev .

Producing great numbers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Scrote:
Finally getting some good movement up in PSNY.

Nice looking ev .

Producing great numbers.
View Quote

Yeah PSNY is on an absolute tear since earnings.  Too bad my average is $10.30 as I bought when it was in SPAC.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:

I don't speak for everyone here, but for me and I think many others maybe, we are waiting for a further market drop before we buy more stocks.

I like dividend paying stocks but the dividend in the short run doesn't help you if the stock goes down in value. So for me, I try to buy at a good price and the dividend is the extra benefit.

I hold mostly dividend paying stocks, and over years they can really make a positive difference, but I bought them because I thought they would also rise in value.

Maybe others will reply with other points of view. Currently I am mostly buying CD's, collecting the interest, and while the interest may be rather small, the risk of loss on a CD in an insured bank is almost nothing. I do keep some funds in cash should I see what I think is a bargain value stock.

One last thought. If one thinks that a recession in 2023 will generally cause corporate profits to greatly drop, then the dividend may drop or disappear with the lower profits.
View Quote

So my brokerage Schwab has CD's, but its almost like a bid thing. Not like rolling into a bank saying I want to buy XYZ cd.

Where is everyone buying cd's? Is there any risk I won't get paid? Can I pull it back out before the end for no interest?

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#13]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:

So my brokerage Schwab has CD's, but its almost like a bid thing. Not like rolling into a bank saying I want to buy XYZ cd.

Where is everyone buying cd's? Is there any risk I won't get paid? Can I pull it back out before the end for no interest?

View Quote

I have a Schwab account that I opened early this year. I really like it. I use it to trade in and out on what I consider are short-term buys, including CD's. I currently have nine CD's and two treasuries. I prefer the CD's.

My CD's will start rolling off in the next 30-days, and will continue maturing for up to a year. As they mature I will decide if I want to buy another CD, a treasury, stock, or hold cash. I find buying the CD's gives me the ability to choose the bank, and the term I want. Different banks have different rates.

There are banks offering CD's that I won't do business with, mainly Chinese and other foreign banks. I choose the bank, the rate is shown, I put in the buy amount, and a CD appears!

Treasuries are a bit different. They are are on a bid basis, if I understand it, and you may not get the exact rate listed. This is disclosed.

I haven't tried buying muni's yet.

I also buy CD's through a local bank I do business with. I wouldn't keep my money with my local bank or Schwab if I thought there was any great risk, but the truth is that life and investing have risk.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
ET
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:00:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#15]
Originally Posted By billy_bob:
ET
View Quote

What does this mean?

Kind of a drive-by posting I suppose.

TYVM
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#16]

What does this mean?

Kind of a drive-by posting I suppose.

TYVM
View Quote

Stock ticker for Energy Transfer LP ?

He likes it ?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 4Teen_R:

Stock ticker for Energy Transfer LP ?

He likes it ?
View Quote

Duh, I should have figured that out!
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes ET is  Energy  Transfer it may not make big bucks but it up for this last year and pays a good dividend .
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Longs?

Overstock
Playboy
Purecycle tech
Alcoa
Enovix
Camping world

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShermiesRule] [#20]
I buy PEP on the dips. It pay about 3% but slowly increases over time so 3% is a greater value every year. Plus the libs/Gen Z eat it up with a good ESG so it's taking candy from a baby.

Sodas, juice, energy drinks, snack foods.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#21]
What we thinking for tomorrow?

I'm thinking it's going green maybe as good as today again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Whoever made the suggestion to buy Consol Energy last month hit a home run if they actually bought any.  I think it was a different thread, but CEIX is on fire.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Might be a good time to think about TSLA again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Polestar PSNY to make EBikes as well.

https://electrek.co/2022/12/01/polestar-electric-bike/
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Weed stocks popping.

TLRY
CGC

There's rumors of Safe Banking Act being introduced on or by the 15th of Dec.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4Teen_R] [#27]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:
Whoever made the suggestion to buy Consol Energy last month hit a home run if they actually bought any.  I think it was a different thread, but CEIX is on fire.
View Quote

That was me!!  (In the Trump coal thread)

I bought at 34.....but sold at 47!!!  Oy vey!!

My big regret for the year!
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#28]
TLRY to the moon!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
TLRY to the moon!!
View Quote

I’m up 43% since you all recommended TLRY.
Really wish I would’ve dropped $30K on it!! Only threw a measly $1k at it 🤦🏻‍♂️
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I have to agree.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Haven’t stopped
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Nearly all of my investment money is in index funds. I rarely buy individual stocks, and most of the ones I have bought haven't done that well.

Once exception is Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL). I'm going on a cruise with Carnival later this month so I bought 100 shares to qualify for $50 worth of on-board credit as a shareholder. That fund is up 34% since I bought my shares. I bought at $7.39 and it's up to $9.95. Wish I had bought more.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Is there an app or website that makes it easy to track Paul Pelosi's stock trades?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Is there an app or website that makes it easy to track Paul Pelosi's stock trades?
View Quote

https://www.capitoltrades.com/politicians/P000197
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:33:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
Nearly all of my investment money is in index funds. I rarely buy individual stocks, and most of the ones I have bought haven't done that well.

Once exception is Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL). I'm going on a cruise with Carnival later this month so I bought 100 shares to qualify for $50 worth of on-board credit as a shareholder. That fund is up 34% since I bought my shares. I bought at $7.39 and it's up to $9.95. Wish I had bought more.
View Quote

Their financials are an abortion.   Makes sense to try and lure cruise goers with a deal like yours to try and stave off bankruptcy.  You paid $739 for a 50 dollar coupon, taking company risk as well as broader market risk due to oil prices, interest rates, etc.  Much rather put that in ibonds with zero risk.

Yeah, I'm short it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#36]
I have not been buying stocks lately, except with DRIP, and probably won't be buying stocks for at least three more months. At the end of Q1 2023 I will look at the market to determine if it is a good time to start putting money in stocks again.

I am looking forward to the next Fed rate increase and if CD rates are above 5% I will buy another batch. I find it very boring investing, but safety is my current objective so CD's it is (maybe some treasury bills also).

Portfolio's are running at about 65% stocks and 35% CD's and cash.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
I dont think its the bottom of anything yet. I wouldnt mind buying a little but wouldnt go all in and only if I dont need the money this decade.
View Quote

ya thats what i think....its all so propped up or weird right now.

i dont know what to wait for though

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:14:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#39]
Originally Posted By Waldo:
I've been ducking and trying to avoid a really bad haircut lately.
Picking up some BHP now and then. IDK if I'll keep it, might go sideways. Energy is volatile, as usual. Finger is always on the sell button.
View Quote

BHP looks like an interesting stock. Looks like it has good numbers and a really nice div. Most likely you will do well with it!
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 7:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShermiesRule] [#40]
Those of you buying UWMC, how much are you buying? At about $4.70 each even a 9% dividend is hardly anything unless you're buying thousands of shares.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ShermiesRule:
Those of you buying UWMC, how much are you buying? At about $4.70 each even a 9% dividend is hardly anything unless you're buying thousands of shares.
View Quote

i don't even know what they do. but i did glance at their financial statements, yikes. someone must know something more to be buying that. maybe there is a technical trading play going on with it.  

if your buying it for the dividend. they just past their ex dividend date. so you might want to wait.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By brahm:

i don't even know what they do. but i did glance at their financial statements, yikes. someone must know something more to be buying that. maybe there is a technical trading play going on with it.  

if your buying it for the dividend. they just past their ex dividend date. so you might want to wait.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brahm:
Originally Posted By ShermiesRule:

Theyre a mortgage lender.  Thats not the business to be in nowadays with transactions crashing.  They at least have earnings, but cash flow not looking good lately.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:36:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LS1POWERED] [#44]
TLT, 20 year treasury.

It will increase in value when the fed pivots and the fed funds rate lowers.  Missed the $94 lows but it’s still under $108 and should hit the $140-150 range in the next 12 months, also pays a decent dividend along the way.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 11:02:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#45]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

IDK, looks like they have their dick in a wringer over some dam collapse.

View Quote

I didn't know that until now.

Did some quick reading on it, and it looks like the claim has been rejected once, and delayed for years. My non-attorney read is that this will likely be settled for way less then damages claimed amount. Still, not a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 1:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#47]
Bought five 9 months CD's this morning. Rate is 4.55% on four and one at 4.75%. I had hoped for 5%.

CD's are boring!

Looking forward to buying stocks again in late first quarter or early second quarter 2023, after an additional 10%+ decrease in stock values.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Bought five 9 months CD's this morning. Rate is 4.55% on four and one at 4.75%. I had hoped for 5%.

CD's are boring!

Looking forward to buying stocks again in late first quarter or early second quarter 2023, after an additional 10%+ decrease in stock values.
View Quote

Still prefer t bills, no tax at the state level - if that's an issue for people.

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#49]
Originally Posted By Cataly5t:

Still prefer t bills, no tax at the state level - if that's an issue for people.

View Quote

I am able to get a slightly better interest rate for CD's then for t bills. Pretty much works out the same for me either way.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I've mostly been buying 13 week treasuries and cds, but added INTC and SWX yesterday. I only bought small amounts and will buy more if they drop. SWX has been one of my good trades this year. Bought at $69, sold at $89, and just bought at $59. INTC is so low I couldn't pass it up. I'll buy more if it hits $21. I'm watching GLDD, if it drops below $4 I'll buy. It's a dredging company that not followed by many, but I think it could see the $10 to $15 range again. Might be a couple years though
Page / 14
Top Top