Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That sounds kinda ignorant.   If you don't notice a difference in the accent of a person from N. Dakota versus one from Massachusetts, you ears need some wax removed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you're from Texas, all yankees sound alike.

That sounds kinda ignorant.   If you don't notice a difference in the accent of a person from N. Dakota versus one from Massachusetts, you ears need some wax removed.

I don't think it's ignorance or wax so much as it's tuning out the details after you identify the first whiny shrill sound of any kind of yankee accent. You tune out the rest of it because you know you're fixing to hear about how they did it up north or how dumb we are down here and we should be more like them. After a while, it all runs together and sounds alike.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
New York,New Jersey and Massachusetts is like nails on a chalkboard.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
NY/NJ
View Quote

Thats a bad one.
Also great lakes accent - it starts around rochester and of course hits it low in Minnesota.  Ohhh noooo.

And i have to say the SW Pa yinzer accent is bad, but funny.   Its much less common now I think than it was maybe 20-30 years ago.  Maybe out of shame
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a really strong southern accent like Strom Thurmond used to have strong.
I’ve had women  “plural” Both in Maine & Las Vegas buy me drinks just to hear me talk.  lol
I’ve always thought that was a hoot.
View Quote

Mom had a Jersey accent, Dad had a WV accent.  I can do either.  Had people buy me drinks to stop doing the Jersey one.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Democrat dialect. It’s full of stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
East coast. All of it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Ghetto speak used by the vibrant culture is the one that gets me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
All my family is from mid-south GA over to Mobile, AL.  All I heard growing up was the old slow “no R” southern accent with very little mouth movement. Like “y’all come on ovuh an eat some oaystuhs tomorrah evenin”

When I went to college in north GA it was the first time I’d heard the Appalachian southern accent and it freaked me out. Like super fast and choppy “we gunna go up yonder and bilt us a big bon far out past thuh food stoare.”

So anything north of Atlanta sounds weird to me and grates on my nerves.

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The upward inflection of CA valley girls is like nails on a chalkboard
View Quote

I'm not sure valley girls have been recognized as an actual thing since the 80's, but I know exactly whatcha mean. It's called uptalking, and it's more just a younger female thing now, similar to the frivolous and repetitive use of "like" as a filler word. See also the "vocal fry" trend among these idiots.

Worst part is, I don't hear parents correcting these kids in an effort to prevent the kids from not being taken seriously when they open their mouths outside of their friend circles.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NY/NJ
View Quote

Profile pic checks out.

Don't new York my Florida!
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
People who say Warshington instead of Washington need a special kind of beat down.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Bmore
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Spanish
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
annoying jersey twat
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
NY/NJ can be a bit much, also there is a certain segment of men with a southern accent that sound incredibly feminine and gay.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
East of the Mississippi accent
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
My ex is from Boston.  She ruined the accent for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
northern white trash / hood trash talking with a make believe mumble-southern-drawl
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure valley girls have been recognized as an actual thing since the 80's, but I know exactly whatcha mean. It's called uptalking, and it's more just a younger female thing now, similar to the frivolous and repetitive use of "like" as a filler word. See also the "vocal fry" trend among these idiots.

Worst part is, I don't hear parents correcting these kids in an effort to prevent the kids from not being taken seriously when they open their mouths outside of their friend circles.
View Quote

Uptalking, that pursed lip kissy sound before beginning a sentence, and saying "right?" at the end of every sentence.
CA academia types spread this plague to the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
The foreign kind.

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Anything north of Delaware/ New Jersey.

No.    That’s not fair.   Maine , New Hampshire, Vermont , central and western Pennsylvania have fought the good fight that oozes cancer out of Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut,  road island, Maryland and most of all NOVA

Forgot that shit hole Massachusetts ( even spelling it sucks) .
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Boston/NJ/Philly - trash
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Any north eastern Yankee
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
NY/NJ
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Should I take a class to lose my southern accent?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anything above the Mason-Dixon Line.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania alone has the following:

Philly/jersey accent
PA dutch accent
Coal cracker accent
Pittsburgh accent
This weird mashup southern/WV accent Ohio stroke sounding thing
View Quote

Can you guess which one I have? :)
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
New York, New Jersey, California, Seattle
View Quote

Seattle and California have accents?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Honest question, asking as a born and raised NYer living in Michigan - what is the Michigan accent?  I really don't hear it.

I have a very specific hate of one - female NYer/northern NJer/Lier like Fran Drescher or Marisa in My Cousin Vinnie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with our accent? I think it's pissah. And there's nothing like some foul mourned Boston broad cussing you out to really get ya going.

Kidding, I fucking hate the accent too and I want to punch anyone who accentuates it purposely in the mouth.

But to choose one not from my own area I would have to say Michigan.

Honest question, asking as a born and raised NYer living in Michigan - what is the Michigan accent?  I really don't hear it.

I have a very specific hate of one - female NYer/northern NJer/Lier like Fran Drescher or Marisa in My Cousin Vinnie.

Michigan accent is like a watered down Wisconsin or Minnesota accent. With lots of double negatives thrown in.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Long Island Italian and Manhattan Jew
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Vietnamese (Garden Grove, CA)
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some of the Southern accents need subtitles.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What's wrong with our accent? I think it's pissah. And there's nothing like some foul mourned Boston broad cussing you out to really get ya going.

Kidding, I fucking hate the accent too and I want to punch anyone who accentuates it purposely in the mouth.

But to choose one not from my own area I would have to say Michigan.
View Quote

WTF is wrong with the Michigan accent? I’m a Detroit area native, although I’ve been in the Chicago area since 1996. IL natives tell me I have an accent, but can’t describe it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Boston/NJ/Philly - trash
View Quote

The state of Michigan, anybody from Michigan. You forgot to add Michigan.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Seattle and California have accents?
View Quote

Other than surfer guy and valley girl, not really.

Valley girl is fucking annoying.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Not US, but North America's worst: Toronto.

Tronno
Tronneau

Psychotically chipper permacringe anxiety apology-raping its way through your eardrums.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#39]
The one my Ex was fluent in.
West of Philly burbs accent. It's sort of Jersey, not quite Philly. Slower paced and more clippy than Manhattan Yorker.

A couple years after the divorce, I meet a new coworker. As she is introducing herself, I'm suddenly clenching my jaw.  
I faked a smile and asked "Sooo, where 'ya from?"
> "Harrisburg, PA."

I nod and never speak to her again. LoL
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Vocal fry and upspeak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHt-tYS2es
View Quote

Upspeak drives me nuts.

Boston accents along with Indian are unbearable. NYC is close.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I actually like just about every accent. It is interesting to hear the variety of accents around the country, and I think it is kind of disappointing that many of them are disappearing or becoming less pronounced.

Boston accents and whatnot sound interesting even if I don't find them attractive.

If I had to pick most annoying, it would probably be some type of Philadelphia accent or some type of New York accent. I can't tell what variation it is, but there is one particular type that is quite grating on the ears. There is also the super deep rural Appalachian / southern type of thing. I'm not talking about regular Alabama, Louisiana or Georgia accents, but that super hilly billy accent that sounds like mumble jumble.

Edit: The ghetto accent. Sorry, I just can't stand it. I take back my two previous answers. That is like nails on chalk board, and it is so unflattering that I sometimes forget it even exists.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's like having a cheat code.  However, my ac cent is between Central OK and Ozark. Southern but not deep south.  It's seems to catch the attention of English and Australian women pretty well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a really strong southern accent like Strom Thurmond used to have strong.
I’ve had women  “plural” Both in Maine & Las Vegas buy me drinks just to hear me talk.  lol
I’ve always thought that was a hoot.

It's like having a cheat code.  However, my ac cent is between Central OK and Ozark. Southern but not deep south.  It's seems to catch the attention of English and Australian women pretty well.

Born and raised in Texas . When I went to Australia during my USMC days, ALL the ladies wanted to give it up just because they thought I sounded sexy with my Texas accent.

I would walk into a club and say Howdy Ma'am, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

The funny thing was l had a friend from Baton Rouge Louisiana  and everytime he spoke the women would look at him like he was retarded. It drove him nuts. He only got laid 1 time in Australia and she was ugly as fuck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#43]
fucking BAWSTAN

And honestly anything yankee.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ghetto speak used by the vibrant culture is the one that gets me.
View Quote

Especially when white people do it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ebonics
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
NY/NJ
View Quote

NYC/North Jersey.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#47]
The neo-southern accent and grammar of country music.

It's a grotesque perversion and homogenization of regional accents.  

It's the transgenderism of accents.  A sociable Halloween costume, borne out of a misguided search for belonging, that becomes a lifelong defect.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's the transgenderism of accents.  A sociable Halloween costume, borne out of a misguided search for belonging, that becomes a lifelong defect.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
North Carolina Back Creek
View Quote

Are you saying coastal Carolina or west Carolina mountains.  They are very different from each other.  And both are very different from anywhere on earth.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha I’m going with this.

Modern “county” is a pox on society.

I can appreciate all the rest, as long as they are genuine.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top