Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Competent and entertaining.

I don't think working for the government necessarily means competence with guns, medicine or education, fwiw.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LOL before I knew he was blind I was watching one of his videos and he was shooting through a scope with the lens covers closed and I thought to myself "its like they handed Ray Charles a gun".  Turns out the dud is legally blind.  

He is very knowledgeable but its hard to watch him finger fuck his way around a rifle and talk about it.  

You have the opposite with the AKOU guy.  Very legit on the knowledge side but its hard to listen to him.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing.

Do you look at the quality of the information you consume about everything else on a daily basis?

Half the stories we see posted on here are marketing and persuasion pieces to get you to spend money and vote for the democrat party.

Headline says "Experts say industry leaders will have to admit they they wrong"

What?

You consume it as the truth.

Why would your firearm news be any different?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL before I knew he was blind I was watching one of his videos and he was shooting through a scope with the lens covers closed and I thought to myself "its like they handed Ray Charles a gun".  Turns out the dud is legally blind.  
View Quote

Oof
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
grand master status in the discipline he is talking about.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#6]
VIEWS
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
CSAT Way and Modern Tactical Shooting are the only channels that make me miss the days when instructors had to pass the TABE Test before being trusted to teach anything. Everyone else is trying to be the next Billy Mays

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A beard and tattoos.
View Quote

and an extra curved ball cap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Short shorts and a fanny pack
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Good production quality, thousands of rounds fired into dirt per month, and a following = YouTube expert

Production quality and ammo to gain following = Money

Therefore

Money = YouTube expert

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I am more of a 2a guy looking to get it back to where it was intended. Not a gun tuber, but I do like to feature some gun pron from time to time. Brand new, but I also wrote a 2a book in which I've worked on for a couple years.

Here's my newest video. Yes I'm unpolished as a monologue speaker, but I'm trying. Background is firefighter/medic, fire department EMS instructor, and RN.

Ep. 3: Disgusting History of the National Firearms Act and the Prelude to the Pistol Brace Drama

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I voted not be a douche and make entertaining videos. But I think it depends on what you're videos are about. If it's room clearing, I prefer to watch videos from guys who have done it on a live two way range rather than someone whose only experience is theoretical and/or from other people's training.

If it's reviews of edc gear like holsters and actual guns, as long as they're not a shill then I watch them. And as much as I like TFBtv, I don't really watch their videos of their new gun promos.

About the only guntuber I will always click on is Hop's.

I like GT and his messaging but just don't always watch his videos. I think it's because to get the whole experience you have to actually watch it, and I mostly treat yt like a podcast and just listen to it.

Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a big fan of mailroom too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am more of a 2a guy looking to get it back to where it was intended. Not a gun tuber, but I do like to feature some gun pron from time to time. Brand new, but I also wrote a 2a book in which I've worked on for a couple years.

Here's my newest video. Yes I'm unpolished as a monologue speaker, but I'm trying. Background is firefighter/medic, fire department EMS instructor, and RN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCro4cczlOI

View Quote

I hit you with a subscribe. Mainly because you're using a crayola white board.

Not to tell you how to live your life, but I'd be more interested in your medical knowledge. That scene also seems less saturated than the guntube side.

Good luck with the channel either way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Who cares. It’s entertainment

Sometimes it’s useful entertainment and sometimes not.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCro4cczlOI

View Quote

Gave you a sub. Keep it up on the channel!

To start, I'd recommend you work on building thumbnails for your videos. You can use free online stuff like Canva to make them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hit you with a subscribe. Mainly because you're using a crayola white board.

Not to tell you how to live your life, but I'd be more interested in your medical knowledge. That scene also seems less saturated than the guntube side.

Good luck with the channel either way.
View Quote

Thanks brother. I do plan to incorporate medical. Actually very soon I'll be doing an episode on bleeding and then bleeding control.

The 2a needs more advocates though too unfortunately. Gun guys are too often far removed from being 2a guys.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It kinda depends on what they’re talking about.

Forgotten Weapons, Lucky Gunner, Sage Dynamics, 9 Hole, Honest Outlaw, Garand Thumb, 22Plinkster, and Hickock all do different things to varying levels of competence.
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#18]
An account and a camera.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gave you a sub. Keep it up on the channel!

To start, I'd recommend you work on building thumbnails for your videos. You can use free online stuff like Canva to make them.
View Quote

Thank you!

What do you like to see in a thumbnail? I'm not above using don't clickbait every now and then
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Forgotten Weapons, Lucky Gunner, Sage Dynamics, 9 Hole, Honest Outlaw, Garand Thumb, 22Plinkster, and Hickock all do different things to varying levels of competence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're a fool if you're shopping for a RDS and don't immediately check Sage Dynamics.

Quoted:

Thanks brother. I do plan to incorporate medical. Actually very soon I'll be doing an episode on bleeding and then bleeding control.

The 2a needs more advocates though too unfortunately. Gun guys are too often far removed from being 2a guys.

Right on!

I can't argue with that second line.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#21]
There is an Sig channel where the guntuber knows more than any Sig armorer on the net.

His disclaimer is hilarious because he has to state he isn’t “qualified” but knows more than anyone available to us.

I want a knowledgeable person. Street cred is often better than classroom sitters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thank you!

What do you like to see in a thumbnail? I'm not above using don't clickbait every now and then
View Quote

There's a general method you use when making thumbnails. Simple layout, not too many words, try to incorporate a face... that sort of thing. It doesn't HAVE to follow those rules, though.

Think about the subject of the video, then use the thumbnail as a hook to get a viewer's attention followed by an enticing title. The thumbnail should have some type of value proposition that'll attract new viewers and bring back subscribers. There are much larger channels here that could expand on that.

This is a pretty simple thumbnail, not what I would call good, but better:

Attachment Attached File

These are an example of two thumbnails from the same channel:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Simple, cleaner thumbnails that add a bit of mystery or intrigue will entice people to click the video. Your titles should play off of the thumbnail. Take a look at other creators in your niche and see what they're doing that works.

ETA: I've been trying to learn the methodology behind thumbnails for the past 2 weeks as I try to grow my gaming channel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think it's interesting that GT is a never deployed 100% disabled guy who runs around in armor with machineguns. -shrug-

Does anyone watching youtube care? Probably no one but jealous people-lol. I wish I could get rich making videos
View Quote

I know absolutely nothing about how the military works.

But my question is- Would an instructor deploy or stay back and instruct?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he's instructing, he'd be part of a training unit that doesn't deploy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats with the complaining about GT not deploying then? Not being an ass, trying to understand this place if thats possible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whats with the complaining about GT not deploying then? Not being an ass, trying to understand this place if thats possible.
View Quote

Jealousy and a lack of humor. He makes a lot of money on YouTube, did it while active duty and staying stateside, had a successful career in the military and is now out with 100% VA comp.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Judging by what's already out there that passes for 'educational', I'd say all you need is a gun and a camera. Presto, I'm now an 'expert'.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

James Reeves is a national treasure!

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

If their job is to instruct, they are staying at the schoolhouse to instruct.

All of my combat instructors had deployed prior to coming back to teach.

In regards to GT, he had a back injury that prevented him from deploying. That's why he ended up as a SERE instructor rather than dEpLoYiNg. People's problem with him reek of jealousy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#30]
There's a couple local to me that sure look good on video, get all of the hair-brushing in the comments, but come to matches and get beat up on pretty bad.  However, I respect their opinions a lot more than some of the "tactical instructors".
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Up to the user to decide if they are worth listening to like many other things. At least listening to a gun expert I have some idea if anything they say makes sense. Some experts on particle physics or something I guess I'll take their word on it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I miss the days of Cory and Erika.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Heart Palpitations.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I miss the days of Cory and Erika.
View Quote

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg.................
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Make sure when you are testing the db level of various suppressors, you have loud music playing in the background.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Firearms knowledge and "watchable." It needs to flow and not be too long.

mil/le experience can or doesn't mean a lot, it depends on the person. I know lots of SF guys who don't know jack much about guns. Great shooters, but otherwise not really "gun guys."

Re: Another post. AF doesn't matter, I know a lot of CCT and PJ's who are big time guns guys and they have a solid shooting program. GT was a SERE guy and later, for a short time, a JTAC. CCTs get a bunch of gun stuff simply because of who they work with.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#37]
First GD exposure.
Then GD Approval, which is strictly personal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#38]
YouTube is simply a modern and very efficient medium for conveying information. A lot of important things are much better conveyed by video than words or even pictures at times. "Gun YouTuber" is a population almost as broad in interest and focus as the gun-owning population itself. The high-profile professional "GunTuber" population does have some stereotypes and caveats for sure. However, when someone dismisses a content creator simply because they share information through video, and especially when they imply randoms on a message board are more trustworthy in general, I know I'm reading the words of a delusional, blow-hard moron.

"Qualified expert" is a pretty strong label. I trust the opinions of those that:
  • Use their equipment in the ways and environments it was intended for. They need to be out in the elements a bit, when it's dry and hot, wet and cold, etc. If it's an optic, they need to use it in different lighting conditions, day/night, and I need to know how it performs passively or magnified when applicable. It's hard to attach a round count or "time used" quantity, I think the type of use is generally more important than the actual time in use. They do NOT need to own the gear specifically.
  • Have experience with a number of similar/competing products. They directly compare them.
  • State the disadvantages/cons/quirks of a product, in consideration of the product type and in comparison to other gear. They don't try to sugarcoat or tip-toe around issues.
  • Make their personal biases and preferences clear.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Latest GT thread has people arguing over what is needed to be an expert worth listening to. What does GD think?

Pie not allowed.

For me, not boring and knows a bit about guns. And 90's intros are lame.
View Quote

They must have OEF tattoos and ominous music. GT is G2G but most of them need to meet the requirements mentioned to be considered for a YT guntuber.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Take the word YouTube out of it and consider how you’d gauge the accuracy, completeness and relevance of information despite the form, even if it’s a post on an Internet forum.

Outside of the differences between written vs video, also take into account that these videos from Leviathan are paid product placements, according to FTC rules.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If their job is to instruct, they are staying at the schoolhouse to instruct.

All of my combat instructors had deployed prior to coming back to teach.

In regards to GT, he had a back injury that prevented him from deploying. That's why he ended up as a SERE instructor rather than dEpLoYiNg. People's problem with him reek of jealousy.
View Quote

I'll note that there seems to be overlap between those who don't like him and those who get real upset at "larping".
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I don’t give a shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry, but there are plenty of combat vets that don't know shit.  Just like any other profession.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sorry, but there are plenty of combat vets that don't know shit.  Just like any other profession.
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"O" face intros

Intro music @ 11/10 volume of dad rock

Quick jump video editing

Catch phrase
View Quote
I don't wanna hear a single breath. Full volume all the time with no natural pauses.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I guess I'm lucky that I can watch a YouTube video and make my own determination about it's validity.

I don't some label that says "Expert."

I can also respect the opinions of both civilian and military viewpoints.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't particularly care. I'm just not that interested in juvenile dick-measuring contests. I take what I find useful and move on. Anymore, I don't find much new under the sun. I have little interest in ghetto Komando tactics since the nearest city is 100+ miles away. They are on their own. At my age (72), I'm more concerned about protecting my family, livestock, and neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
At some point you do enough reviews that all of sudden not a lot of other people have been exposed to and experience with as many different pistols and rifles as you.

That experience is worthwhile to listen to.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top