Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Also loved this stupid game growing up.

Beach Head 2 on Commodore 64.

My brother and I can still laugh at this game today because the character dialogue is hilarious.

Like I can accidentally injure myself while hanging out and say "Medic!!!" in that same voice and he'll start laughing.

Other great commentary:

"I'm hit!"

"AHHHHHHHHHHH"

Skip to 2:00

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes!

I remember playing the firing range. Actually had a fun UKD range if I remember correctly.

This the one you're talking about?

The fact it came out right during the 9/11 time period, it may have helped with recruiting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Army

View Quote
One of my friends was a dev on that game for about a decade. It was always fun jumping into a match with him lol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The one where I went outside and played war with my friends.
View Quote
This.
When I was growing up there was no such thing as the internet, computers, or pretend war games.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
f****** Zoomers
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

Although I might've played a bit of Super Mario Bros

H
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Growing up lol. Best a Gen Xer had growing up was Battlezone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bet you wished you could go back in time and reverse that poor decision (sarcasm).  
View Quote

Medical paychecks did pay for much better computer builds, but becoming a responsible adult sucked. I do miss the good members and players that were daily regulars on the server. I ran a tight game anonymously while playing/spectating, and fed a lot of behavioral cheat-tips to EvenBalance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This.
When I was growing up there was no such thing as the internet, computers, or pretend war games.
View Quote

I lived in Germany in the early 60-s, years 1961-2, and 3.  Whenever a plane flew overhead , we’d all lay down on our back and start shooting down the dirty commie planes.  Obviously, we didn’t shoot any down, but we were doing our part!  A lot of imagination back then.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Back 20 years ago I was a Master of Unreal Tournament using the sniper rifle. I was on an internet team and hosted my own UT server, which at the time was kind of a big deal as most people still had 56K. Anyways, I use to get the opposing players so angry at me for taking them out at a distance.  You see the Sniper rifle had a secret. If you were real good and vert steady with the mouse and could get a head shot it almost always meant a 1 shot kill, even with armor.  So I trained relentlessly at getting head shots while running strafing and jumping.

Here is a toubube video of another UT player (not me) who also apparently figured out head shots are the way to go.  This guy rocks.
Unreal Tournament: Headshots with the sniper rifle
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn’t have any friends nearby, but I still had a couple bags of green army men and a couple big mounds of dirt from when my Dad was building the house.    

Otherwise battleship and whiffle ball with one of my uncles.  Somewhere in the late 1970s we did get
An intellivision console game but there was nothing approaching FPS we know of now

I got an Xbox the day they were launched to the general public.   I don’t recall the name of the game, but you started off in a Stalingrad.  I could never get th hang of controlling movements with the controller
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Do horse turd wars in a friend's manure pile count?

Computer technology at the time:

Those are vacuum tubes along the top of the computer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Operation Solar Flare 1987
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Contra...
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes!

I remember playing the firing range. Actually had a fun UKD range if I remember correctly.

The fact it came out right during the 9/11 time period, it may have helped with recruiting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody remember the U.S. Army sponsored PC 1st person shooter game from the late 90's? It was free.

You only had one gun option: Colt m4 w/KAC rail, and TA01NSN optic.

Yes!

Good find. Thats it.

Very fun back then..

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Goldeneye, COD, Halo.

Prob. spent the most time on COD as I actually worked my way up into the pro leagues on GameBattles / MLG for a brief time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]
The one funded with taxes - America's Army. Legit good game though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I suppose it was 11C in South Korea.  I really liked that game…..so I played 11C2S and then 18B heavy weapons, then 18D, then 18F and finished it off with 18Z. Lots of first person shooter time as well….tons of fun
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#18]
The early 2000s were amazing for gamers.

Computing power really limited the level of detail put into games , so mods were great. A whole new experience for free.

For Half Life you had some great mods

FIREARMS ( full auto G3 or Mc51 )
Battlegrounds ( FREEEEEEEDOM ) this was a revolutionary War fps mod
Day of defeat
Counter strike
Science and industry
Team fortress classic
Front line force

Unreal Tournament had Infiltration. Great mod.  First game I ever played with Iron sights
Ut2k3 had red orchestra,  which eventually became a standalone game.  Dud grenades and weapon malfunctions. Getting your weapon shot out of your hands etc.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Honorable Mention below.   Not an FPS, but many hours invested.  I was hooked on Novaligic games for a while. DF1, DF, F22, Mig29, and there was a tank game too.  Such a great era.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I first got in to PC gaming with delta force

then battlefield 1942
battlefield 1942 desert combat mod was when it started to get real

the battlefield 2 came out and ohhh boy. it got real. I could still draw you a detailed map of strike at karkand. I think I have 1500 hours in that game.
during finals week in one of my computer classes we took the final a week earlier and used that 4 hour time slot to have a lan party in the lab we had class in where everyone brought their rigs in.

I still have a picture of the rig I built then. This was before watercooling was as easy as walking in to best buy and buying a closed loop drop in system.
check out those IDE cables.

then battlefield 3 and 4.
battlefield 2042

sprinkle in a little call of duty inbetween each.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Operation Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Snatch and waterboard the kid down the block, he's was literally the only fat kid in school, it took 4-5 of us.

Also, MASH, with the neighbor's daughter... Stephanie, redhead, she was a cutie iirc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I just had little plastic soldiers.  I cherished bazooka man.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, no video games back in the 70's and early 80's. At least nothing shooting related.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pretty sure I had the most hours in Battlefield 2

Played with a lot of my friends online but it also allowed you to play single player with computer bots.

I had a bunch of mods that allowed me to play single player against bots on 64 player sized maps and could set the difficulty higher for the bots.

Seemed like it had a good amount of maps, no kit was overpowered, and just a lot of fun.

Also wasn't overly complicated too. The weapon sight your kit came with was the one you used. Think the assaultman still had A2 sights.

All of the crazy good players were still playing Counterstrike at the time so the learning curve wasn't insane either.

Loved the old M4A1 with the Aimpoint. Didn't have a fake crisp perfect red dot either, had a more realistic glare dot seen on the old Aimpoint M68.

https://i.imgur.com/YF28xQz.jpg

https://acdn.mitiendanube.com/stores/002/701/124/products/135025-battlefield-2-windows-screenshot-a-good-sniping-position21-7e39a83f992d095cf216747028792955-1024-1024.jpg

The expansion packs were fun too. First time I really learned about the SCAR.

Night vision was actually somewhat realistic too.

https://osiris.gamefront.com/gamefront/screenshots/57/files2/96414_1.jpg

https://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/17/16130/thumb_620x2000/Night_Vision.png

View Quote

Lota of memories with this post.... I definitely clocked time in BF2....  started in 2005 and Im still playing the series now....even downloaded BF2 HD recently
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#26]
The little green plastic men in the sandbox game. Then when I was around ten my dad said it was time to put away the toys and comic books and get to work
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Counter strike
Battlefield 1942
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Risk?  It was a board game, but in the late '60s that's all we had during the winter.

Except snow, LOTS of snow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI.  When I grew up, I played those new games: Pong and Asteroids.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#31]
It was called Me, Myself and I.  

I took mama's broom handle over to papaw's that I had cut off with daddy's hack saw.  I had about a 12" length of 2 x 4.  Intent?  Make me a 50 cal.  papaw caught me in the tool shed, but turned out he was willing to help.  We got the barrel 'mounted' in the 2 x 4 with his auger.  It was his idea to put a hole at the tip to make it look more real. All set.  All was well until he said "Your mama is going to whip your ass."  he saved it for last because I had already committed the broom before he caught me.  He was right, but being as how I killed every German in the county with it, it was worth it.

Cows were vehicles.  When papaw turned on the silo to feed them, I'd fly out of the house to man my position.  He used this "purple medicine" on their sores.  Had it on a dabber from a can and in a little bitty spray can.  You're purple for weeks when you get it on your skin.  It pissed mama off but I didn't die when I got it on me, so with that experience I figured it was OK to spray purple swastikas on the cows.  It was just medicine.  

There I was, out in the pasture, about 8 yo, looking to papaw like I was chasing his cows when he came down the road from work.  I knew how it looked, so I ran across the pasture to be at his house as he drove up.  Completely out of breath trying to outrun the ass whuppin'.  Boy was I glad he laughed when I produced the can and explained.  He declined on account of cost.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Golden Eye, Doom, and we played Red Faction in the school library when we got rained out of practice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Does Red Baron by dynamix count?

What a fantastic game that was.  Same goes for the aces series.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wolfenstein 3D was my first, followed by the above.
View Quote

Same here, with a healthy serving of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D mixed in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Counter-Strike
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anybody remember the U.S. Army sponsored PC 1st person shooter game from the late 90's? It was free.

You only had one gun option: Colt m4 w/KAC rail, and TA01NSN optic.

View Quote

If this is the one I’m thinking of, I could never get past the first level.   Their was was a little firing range and the drill sgt would tell you what to do.  If you didn’t do EXACTLY what he said you’d start over in an infinite loop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Man, BF2 has me thinking of all the solo TV missile mayhem in the Cobra. See enemy helo launch on you, roll it upside down to dodge, F2 to get in the gunner seat, hit them with your TV missile (while still falling inverted in your pilot-less helicopter), F1 back into the pilot seat and roll it back upright just before you hit the ground
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Came to post this. I'm old, too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cowboys and Indians.
Dirt Clod Wars.
Orange Wars.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Cowboys and Indians.
Dirt Clod Wars.
Orange Wars.
View Quote

And Americans vs the Germans!  That was in the 1960s and had maybe 2 dozen WW2 nazi helmets floating around and some other assorted kit brought back from the war. Even some SS helmets…those helmets nowadays, with all the suspension and decals would be worth 10’s of thousands ….funny how we forget.  I guess time heals.  

Funny thing was there was no collectible about any of that stuff.  Those dads that brought that stuff back treated it like trash. One guy had a “ hitler youth ” kids dagger that he used to open paint cans.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Castle Wolfenstein when it was first released, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Fallout 3, 4, 76 and New Vegas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#43]
BF 42 / Desert Combat

BFV.  Even got it preordered and got the album, which was pretty good, and not the kind of thing you see much out of games today.  Also the Point of Existence & Arsenal mods for BFV that updated for 2000s warfare and for Vietnam included the Australians.  The retro BFV 1942 mod for it was great, too.

Also played live full contact Desert Combat, but there's a lot less filling sandbags and serialized gear formations in the computer game.  Unless you're playing ARMA, then that's the point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

"Beach" may be the best multiplayer shooter map ever.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Multiplayer - Objective - Beach Invasion (Allies)

Either side can win if played well. If played well on both sides the outcome is hard to predict.

Also, it's ... FUN.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Playing war with friends. Some of the best fun I ever had!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Ghost recon 2

Ive never been a big video games guy though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#47]
America's Army..I don't even want to know how many days I wasted playing that game.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Call of Duty (in my opinion) really went downhill after UO. There were a couple of good attempts to bring it back to its former glory, but nothing really compares.
View Quote

CoD4: Modern Warfare single handedly saved gun culture in America, me and all my friends are still buying guns based on if they were in that game, lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If this is the one I’m thinking of, I could never get past the first level.   Their was was a little firing range and the drill sgt would tell you what to do.  If you didn’t do EXACTLY what he said you’d start over in an infinite loop.
View Quote

This is America's Army.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Battlefield 1942 (2002)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2007)
Operation: Flashpoint (2001)
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top