Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Remember when those guys got killed firing homemade tank gun rounds?

I would need a pretty good reason to shoot hobby grade RPGs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I saw that dude get blown up by a hold my beer RPG and decided I am not competent to judge the safety of such devices.

I dont, but I'd like to read about it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
View Quote

Link

I think this is the incident I’m remembering.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#3]

Link

I think this is the incident I'm remembering.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:

Link

I think this is the incident I'm remembering.
It sounds like they were using legit ammo.  Maybe they didn't get the breech fully secured?

All manner of bad choices here-
https://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/ammunition-maker-sued-by-family-of-man-killed-in-tank-explosion/article_9cea6b92-2be8-5faf-b7c9-3d989e379018.html

Link Posted: 12/2/2023 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Black powder, muzzleloading, non fixed ammo?

Edit: yea, I think this is it (if not it should be). Have the "booster" separated from the "warhead". Load booster, load warhead. RPG2 boosters are black powder. You basically have a smooth bore muzzleloading cannon, same legality as a bowling ball mortar.
View Quote

DD status or lack thereof is not impacted by muzzle loading or using black powder as a charge. What matters is whether or not it uses fixed ammunition.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I saw that dude get blown up by a hold my beer RPG and decided I am not competent to judge the safety of such devices.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Let this sink in...

A civil war era 6lbs artillery piece spherical case shot shell had a 1/2oz blackpowder bursting charge.

A device can have up to a .25oz bursting charge without being a DD. Modern explosives and smokeless powder is far more powerful than black powder.

A non-DD 40mm round with a 1/4oz bursting charge and fragmentation for hog hunting is going to be available soon. It will likely have something like a 15'   expected casualty radius.

View Quote

I am interested in this 40mm round since I have a 203 and a massive hog problem at my ranch….
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
Looks like it's not when purchased. It becomes one when you manufacture it at your home (it's not complete when purchased).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
This little guy?

https://azaoinc.com/shop/ols/products/rpg-2a1-recoil-less-launcher
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310196/Screenshot_20231129_201209_Chrome-3044480.jpg

ETA: the one I linked is a DD though....

Desire to know more intensifies.
Looks like it's not when purchased. It becomes one when you manufacture it at your home (it's not complete when purchased).
I literally laughed and shed a tear of joy when I read this.
So it's like an 80% RPG?
Jesus Christ, I love this country. FATF.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]

X2
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Your1Savior] [#11]

I recently learned people will pay you to eliminate hogs on their property. I'm up for a road trip...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

Let this sink in...

A civil war era 6lbs artillery piece spherical case shot shell had a 1/2oz blackpowder bursting charge.

A device can have up to a .25oz bursting charge without being a DD. Modern explosives and smokeless powder is far more powerful than black powder.

A non-DD 40mm round with a 1/4oz bursting charge and fragmentation for hog hunting is going to be available soon. It will likely have something like a 15'   expected casualty radius.

I am interested in this 40mm round since I have a 203 and a massive hog problem at my ranch….

I recently learned people will pay you to eliminate hogs on their property. I'm up for a road trip...

I always hear that but then when I try to find these people they all want me to pay $1-3k for a weekend of shooting
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:51:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#12]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
In, and hoping some of this technology/legal maneuvering can be used for my 81mm mortar.
View Quote

As an aside, I always wanted someone to make (at a reasonable price) something like the old subcaliber training mortar, that would be 12ga or otherwise non-NFA. Only want 100 ~ 200 yards max range, just something to play around with.

Although, if you could have non-NFA small frag rounds like the 40mms that were mentioned, you could use one for hog hunting at longer ranges if possible. I think that would be hilariously fun, hog hunting with a mini mortar.  Limited range indirect fire would limit risks from stray long range rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

As an aside, I always wanted someone to make (at a reasonable price) something like the old subcaliber training mortar, that would be 12ga or otherwise non-NFA. Only want 100 ~ 200 yards max range, just something to play around with.

Although, if you could have non-NFA small frag rounds like the 40mms that were mentioned, you could use one for hog hunting at longer ranges if possible. I think that would be hilariously fun, hog hunting with a mini mortar.  Limited range indirect fire would limit risks from stray long range rifle rounds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:  In, and hoping some of this technology/legal maneuvering can be used for my 81mm mortar.

If you only want 100 yd range, get a Can Cannon.  I was looking to set mine up as a mortar trainer until my club banned em.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, Ben, you're like the king of blue-balls threads.  Tagged for more info.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
In, and hoping some of this technology/legal maneuvering can be used for my 81mm mortar.

A while back I was thinking of making a small scale replica mortar with ammo that would use only a 209 primer or ramset blank to launch the round a very short range.  Basically just a toy that could be used in a back yard.  The problem that I ran into is that it could be interpreted as an SBS.  You would have to make it 26 inches OAL, which basically killed my idea.  At the time I lived in a non-NFA state, so I couldn't even pay the $200 if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

A while back I was thinking of making a small scale replica mortar with ammo that would use only a 209 primer or ramset blank to launch the round a very short range.  Basically just a toy that could be used in a back yard.  The problem that I ran into is that it could be interpreted as an SBS.  You would have to make it 26 inches OAL, which basically killed my idea.  At the time I lived in a non-NFA state, so I couldn't even pay the $200 if I wanted to.
View Quote

Isn't one of the qualifications of an SBS that it is fired from the shoulder?
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

Let this sink in...

Hogs in TX proliferated because there are more land owners wanting to charge people big bucks for hunting feral swine on their property. Now they're everywhere, the hunters are somewhere else, and the land owners have to pay to control them. And indirectly we do, because crop loss insurance is a thing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
If OAL was actually a legal concern, the length of the permanently attached carriage would count towards it. I am sure you could make a mortar that looked scale but also was 26"+ OAL. I don't think OAL is actually a concern though, given the can cannon has no such restrictions that would trigger it being an AOW.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw a video of a mortars once, I think it might have been a chemical mortar, that had a lift charge loaded in the receiver and was fired with a lanyard rather than a charge on the round. Seems like that could be a non DD because it's not fixed ammunition.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

If you only want 100 yd range, get a Can Cannon.  I was looking to set mine up as a mortar trainer until my club banned em.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:  In, and hoping some of this technology/legal maneuvering can be used for my 81mm mortar.

UG, now my brain is whirring with plans to make my can cannon a morter. Get one of those boltcarriers so I don't need a buffertube, use a pic adapter to attach a baseplate, affix a very long tripod. I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER PROJECT!

And golf balls seem to get 2-3 times the range of soda.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Wammel:

UG, now my brain is whirring with plans to make my can cannon a morter. Get one of those boltcarriers so I don't need a buffertube, use a pic adapter to attach a baseplate, affix a very long tripod. I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER PROJECT!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wammel:

Don't need a fancy bolt carrier - use a side charging upper & chop a standard bolt carrier in half.  Mount the lower on top so the trigger & safety are easier to reach for the mortar team.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Not if it has the remotest possibility of blowing up when I try to fire it like the one I saw recently that blew up when the guy was trying to fire it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Stonia:
View Quote

Yeah, but I don't recall him ever not eventually coming through.

I'll sit here patiently until he comes back. Then I'm buying or building myself some "not DDs".
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

I'll sit here patiently until he comes back. Then I'm buying or building myself some "not DDs".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
Originally Posted By Stonia:

I was watching a video on why not to make TATP on YouTube last night and honestly it had the opposite effect

"Don't do it guys, it's really easy and really unstable"

Me:

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Let this sink in...

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
Ok, it ships as a Title 1 w/ the inability to do anything, less than a 37mm smoothbore grenade launcher.

You file the Form 1 for a DD, wait, then cut a slot in the muzzle for the round to index on.

Each live round is likely still a DD in inself & would require a Federally licensed magazine, no, OP?

Most the rounds are not DD's, however they become regulated explosives and cannot be transported on public roads once assembled. So you have to assemble and use rounds at the same location. Like tannerite.

Are they not DDs by having under a 1/2 oz of explosives or is it something else?

I would love to see someone make rifle grenades for the public, both something like what you describe and full-blown DDs, because then the rifle can become the launcher and is Title 1.  I have four rifles that can be used to launch NATO spec rifle grenades myself.

Let this sink in...

This might finally get me into the 40mm game
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember reading a few years ago someone was fighting the ATF on RPG2s because by the current definitions it was technically a muzzleloader and thus (the launcher) wasn’t even a firearm let alone a NFA item.  Assuming this is the fruit of that legal battle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#27]

View All Quotes

I don't remember the details of the subcaliber trainer, NG used to use them indoors in a gym so it was just a primer or something. It was a small diameter tube that went into the regular mortar and was fired the same way by just dropping the rounds in. Looked like fun target practice. As a muzzleloader I wouldn't think the OAL would be an issue.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Procat:
I remember reading a few years ago someone was fighting the ATF on RPG2s because by the current definitions it was technically a muzzleloader and thus (the launcher) wasn’t even a firearm let alone a NFA item.  Assuming this is the fruit of that legal battle.
View Quote

It uaes fixed ammunition. Whether it loads from the breech or muzzle is irrelevant. 60mm mortars are DDs and they load from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Snozberry:

Blue visa to silver amex, you may begin your attack run.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 6:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Six] [#30]
Originally Posted By Procat:
View Quote

I think that that was Ben (OP).  The RPG2 rounds are technically 2 piece, so not fixed ammo.  I believe that Ben said that the ATF did not agree.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#31]

I don't remember the details of the subcaliber trainer, NG used to use them indoors in a gym so it was just a primer or something. It was a small diameter tube that went into the regular mortar and was fired the same way by just dropping the rounds in. Looked like fun target practice. As a muzzleloader I wouldn't think the OAL would be an issue.
View All Quotes

A modern mortar uses fixed, self-contained ammo.  Therefore, it doesn't meet the exemption for muzzel loading guns.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#32]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

I was watching a video on why not to make TATP on YouTube last night and honestly it had the opposite effect

Me:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/Screenshot_20220918-125850_Discord-2532003.jpg
View Quote

Bro, don't mess with AP/TATP. It's seriously not worth it.  I went to school for that kind of crap and messing with things like AP, MEKP, and homemade NG are just rolling the dice.  Jeezus, let alone imagining shooting something filled with that crap from a launcher I'm holding.  f*ck that noise, and the horse it rode in on.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

Bro, don't mess with AP/TATP. It's seriously not worth it.  I went to school for that kind of crap and messing with things like AP, MEKP, and homemade NG are just rolling the dice.  Jeezus, let alone imagining shooting something filled with that crap from a launcher I'm holding.  f*ck that noise, and the horse it rode in on.
Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Me:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/Screenshot_20220918-125850_Discord-2532003.jpg

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#34]
The government: let me get this straight, you just want explosives to "blow shit up in peace"

Me: yes

The government: why should we believe you? How do we know you're not a terrorist?

Me: because it's fun. Explosions are fun
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#35]
The government: let me get this straight, you just want explosives to "blow shit up in peace"

The government: why should we believe you? How do we know you're not a terrorist?

View Quote

Oddly, they can suddenly get unexpectedly unfun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Right but I only want the fun type
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#37]

DD status or lack thereof is not impacted by muzzle loading or using black powder as a charge. What matters is whether or not it uses fixed ammunition.
View Quote

So an artillery piece that uses a manually loaded bullet(terminology ?) and a separate bag of powder is good to go?
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Desire to search these things online intensifies. I really like my dogs though and dislike unannounced guests.

Imagine if we were free to learn about these things on our own. I suppose I could always go to the library and see what they have and just not check anything out. Lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:02:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#39]
... didn't really add anything to the discussion...
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#42]

A current USMC M777 howitzer is not a DD.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By winxlite:

So an artillery piece that uses a manually loaded bullet(terminology ?) and a separate bag of powder is good to go?

A current USMC M777 howitzer is not a DD.

Bag guns are definitely good to go.  I imagine semi-fixed should be good, which are case guns where the projectile and case are separate but loaded in one operation, as well as case guns that use separate ammunition.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:17:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
What brand was it that just severely injured a YouTube influencer?
View Quote

What round for YouTube influencer?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#44]
What’s the price?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#45]
interested but also seems like a fairly reliable way to eventually blow your face off....
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I’ll just come shoot yours…lol.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#47]
It's too bad they're so expensive, I would love to arrange cannons around my house.

AHOY BURGLAR, PREPARE FOR A WHIFF OF THE GRAPE!

*blasts door completely off hinges
*grapeshot goes into my neighbors house across the street
*entire house filled with smoke
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Ah, the Bearcats cometh.

GIVE THEM A VOLLEY
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#49]
No High explosive, no care.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler
HMTD

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball Munition
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top