Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I almost stopped there on my motorcycle ride through there this summer, but I was 99% sure my bike would be gone by the time I got out of there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I haven't opened the Christian Bible in a very long time. Many many decades. It's not something that I'm proud of. I've been turning to it more and more lately for comfort. It has definitely helped.

But the more I read, the more questions I have.

So I would really appreciate it if the good folks of GD would please educate me on what the 3rd Temple is. I've heard about it in passing over the last year, but with everything that's going on in Israel, I've been hearing about it more frequently.

Thank you in advance
View Quote

It's ok OP, now that they have finally decided how to pronounce "temple" versus "synagogue" like it had a -ma- in the middle pronounced to-MAH-to rather than to-MAY-to LOL, at least they didn't blur the answer to the third temple. At least I don't think.

One of the reasons you might have questions is there's some um, "repetition" in the Scriptures. Almost like the Good Lord thought we was all deaf. Or stupid or something, LOL. I've taken the liberty of finding a secular but funny comedic interlude to illustrate why our Lord felt it necessary to repeatedly send prohpets forward into the gap with the same messages, apparently, over and over.

The "good part" starts around 3:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dpMwXueD8Q

Because we don't listen is an understatement.

So anyway. You want to know how the movie ends, right? Go all the way to the back of "the Book" get a peek at the ending, right? Sorry to disappoint you my friend, don't hardly work that way. You'll just have to come along for the ride with the rest of us. You'll have to provide your own snacks of course, and no, you can't borrow my hankie.

One problem I've seen is some take certain passages out of context. Sometimes that "works" and other times, that verse is the middle part or the end(s) of something larger. Verses make up chapters, chapters make up a particular book. I like to think of the Old Testament as a history lesson and the New Testament as not only that, but more of a glimpse of what is to come. Almost a warning in some places. The Gospels in the New Testament weren't just written by the Apostles. Acts was written by John Mark = St Mark, not John the Apostle. Acts was written by Luke who was a physician friend of Paul. Leastways, that's what I read about that in some other book.

The Bible is a compilation of writings by many different people. The repetition mentioned above was in addition to those first hand accounts of say, the events leading up to the Crucifixion. (If you haven't seen Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ with James Caviezel, you really should) The differing viewpoints I think, give the stories within depth.

One of my good friends recently sent me a thing on William Tyndale. He was burned at the stake in 1536 for believing in the forgiveness of sins and the mercy offered in the gospels was enough for salvation. Tyndale's early works was translating the scriptures into English and other languages. the King James version is mostly based on his works. It was King Henry the Eighth who later required every parish in England to make a copy of the English Bible available to its parishioners.

I use this website for some things
https://www.biblegateway.com/
It lists well over a hundred versions of "The Bible" and had a pretty good search tool to find specific verses/topics.
I've also been using Bing as a search engine, seems to be okay for this too.
It has occurred to me that one reason for some 'confusion' for lack of a better term, is how the Bible came to be. It wasn't just one but written by many different people at different times. Men who were as imperfect as we are. Then passed down through the ages, translated from one language to another where context and even words for things get blurred a bit...perhaps.

You are not alone OP, actually neither are the rest of you. We all have questions. I find comfort in the fact that they are the same questions I've been looking for answers to. God Bless, Y'all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I almost stopped there on my motorcycle ride through there this summer, but I was 99% sure my bike would be gone by the time I got out of there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

you should have man...they didn't steal my current gen Navigator L and I stayed the night.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok guys, stupid doesn’t sleep but I do.

Enjoy your google searches.
View Quote

The funny part is, you’ve been arguing with a Jew by blood. My Jewish great grandparents on my mother’s side came over from Germany in the 30’s. I have more than a passing interest in Judaism.

It’s been rather enjoyable listening to you flounder and nitpick telling me what my people do and do not do and how wrong you are.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You should really be careful with google research. From your own link:

“A synagogue is a place of worship and study, and a "town hall"

“The Temple is the ancient center of Jewish worship where sacrifices were performed”

It’s amazing the things you learn when you study Judaism as a part of your formal education under actual Rabbis.

Like I did.
View Quote

Dude, you are completely wrong. On Saturday around the ENTIRE Jewish world going to worship is ALWAYS called going to temple. Nobody says we're going to synagogue. Like, literally no one.

Talk about confident ignorance- you are the prime example. You are taking what are clearly metaphors and turning them into literal, physical things, while simultaneously taking what are quite clearly literal things and turning them into metaphors.

You should act like George Castanza- whatever your instincts and understandings are, do the opposite.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Eh.  Not really.

Reform (and, maybe, Reconstructionist) Jews call their synagogues "temples", as they reject the idea of a personal Messianic Age (read: the Messianic Age is entirely a state of Humanity, and there's no Messiah-as-an-individual), the rebuilding of a Temple, or the resumption of sacrifices.

Conservative Jews are kinda split on parts.  Orthodox Jews are all in on Messiah, the rebuilding of the Temple, and the resumption of (some kind of) sacrifices.  Neither Conservative nor Orthodox Jews call their synagogues "temples" (there's one Temple, currently "unavailable").
View Quote

Emm, I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. They all still call it going to temple, the same way Christians would say we're going to church. Nobody says we're going to synagogue. I don't know where you people get your information, but it's obviously not from Jews.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You know, I'm kind of glad that you brought up your third link again because its a great demonstration of the confident ignorance people bring to threads here.

You googled temple and jewish, and like some simpleton you got all giddy when you saw the word "temple" used a couple of times, without once thinking about how the word is being used.

Take the synagouge in your third link, Temple Israel in Dayton Ohio.  They are a Reformed synagouge about an hour away from Hebrew Union in Cincinnati, that has a decent library if you're the reading sort.  But they're boring old books and not google, so probably not for you.

Anyway, as a Reformed Jewish Synagouge they're pretty progressive and not much for ceremony.  If you were to go there and say that their building was a temple, they would laugh the loudest.  Its a synagouge.  Look, I even took a screen shot of their sanctuary and circled the description they use for it so that even the simplest among us can see.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266317/Temple_Israel_Sanctuary-2995676.jpg

Your problem here is that you don't seem to understand the difference between proper nouns and normal old nouns.  

Another example, consider Temple Baptist Church

https://deboracoty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/IMG_0695c-250x211.jpg

Now, if you know anything about Baptist theology or polity, you'd know that no Baptist would actually equate their building to the temple.  The word "temple" here is used as a proper noun that they picked because it sounded cool or for whatever reason they had when they started their church.  Notice that I referred to them as a church even though the word "temple" is in their name.  Thats because the noun "church", identifies what they actually are.  Just like the noun "synagouge" identifies what Temple Israel is.

So maybe you should figure out grammar before you start dipping into theology.

Maybe then you'll figure out the difference between a google search and actual knowledge.

ETA - and I looked at your list of jewish centers from your google search.  Thanks for leaving that up.  Maybe you should read past their names to the descriptions of those congregations and "make yourself less dumb."  I even circled the pertinent descriptors for the simple among us.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266317/temple_synagogue-2995725.jpg
View Quote

If you can't see that in many of your examples the freaking name is "TEMPLE XYZ", then maybe it's time to reconsider how intelligent you assume you are. I just...just don't know what to say.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dude, you are completely wrong. On Saturday around the ENTIRE Jewish world going to worship is ALWAYS called going to temple. Nobody says we're going to synagogue. Like, literally no one.

Talk about confident ignorance- you are the prime example. You are taking what are clearly metaphors and turning them into literal, physical things, while simultaneously taking what are quite clearly literal things and turning them into metaphors.

You should act like George Castanza- whatever your instincts and understandings are, do the opposite.
View Quote

This is utterly false.

“Around the world” Jews do not uses the term “Temple”.

Again, that is mostly a term used by the Reform movement. Which is mostly modern and mostly American.

The vast majority of Ashkenazi Jews outside of the Us say “Shul”

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Emm, I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. They all still call it going to temple, the same way Christians would say we're going to church. Nobody says we're going to synagogue. I don't know where you people get your information, but it's obviously not from Jews.
View Quote

Oy vey....

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is that red heifer smoke I see?
View Quote
Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
OP check out the Temple Mount Institute website. I'm no scholar but like keeping up with their work. As I understand it the Sanhedrin has been reconstituted, the Jews actually now have approved Red Heifers that I believe were bred in America. Also all the Temple instruments are ready and the Priesthood has a training program. Interesting time to be alive.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Temple OS
View Quote

Must. Not. Post. Video.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is utterly false.

“Around the world” Jews do not uses the term “Temple”.

Again, that is mostly a term used by the Reform movement. Which is mostly modern and mostly American.

The vast majority of Ashkenazi Jews outside of the Us say “Shul”

View Quote

That's just the yiddish word for school, which now is synonymous with going to temple. It's meaning is still temple in every sense of the word.

Since yididish didn't exist in the time of Christ, the point doesn't even matter to begin with.

But getting into other languages with this crowd is just way above the reading level.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, to everyone making the frankly dumb argument about "synagogue" vs temple as if it has any bearing whatsoever...

I'll make this even clearer- IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER. The word synagogue is NEVER used in the Bible except in English, Greek, and modern translations. The only term is Hebrew beyt knesset, which means "house of assembly" or "hekyal" which means temple in Aramaic.

Re-read that part above. Now re-read it again since. Now again. Maybe after three times it will sink in.

The entire argument is not only wrong, it's a red herring (intentional or not, I'm guessing it's just plain ignorance on the part of people who brought it into the conversation).

Let's move on, because it really, really it a moot point with no bearing on the third temple argument.

Frankly the lack of basic etymological implications of "Christians" trying to make arguments using English translation is not very logical.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's just the yiddish word for school, which now is synonymous with going to temple. It's meaning is still temple in every sense of the word.

Since yididish didn't exist in the time of Christ, the point doesn't even matter to begin with.

But getting into other languages with this crowd is just way above the reading level.
View Quote

The issue is what people call it.

Your claim is false.

It doesn’t matter if people understand Yiddish. The term is still “Shul” for the Ashkanazi Orthodox the world over. Again, “Temple” is generally not a term used outside the US and in the US usually only by the Reform.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top