User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xoldsmugglerx:

It was adopted and used by many many more countries than the 1911 ever did. Sure in the US commercial market, it was minor compared to the 1911. But on a global perspective, the BHP blows the 1911 out of the water.

The BHP is akin to the FAL or G3. Adopted and used basically everywhere across the western world besides the US.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xoldsmugglerx:
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:

But it didn’t take off quite as big as the 1911. So that does tell you something.

It was adopted and used by many many more countries than the 1911 ever did. Sure in the US commercial market, it was minor compared to the 1911. But on a global perspective, the BHP blows the 1911 out of the water.

The BHP is akin to the FAL or G3. Adopted and used basically everywhere across the western world besides the US.

If you take the US commercial market out of it, yeah probably. But I’d say there were 1/3 more (maybe 50% more?) 1911s produced than BHPs. By no means do I mean to say the BHP was a passing or anything. But most major gun manufacturers have some version of a 1911. How many still make the BHP?  Hell they ended it for a couple years recently.

Just like the FAL and G3, yeah a lot of countries used them and still do. But it pales compared to the numbers of M16/M4/AR variants produced. ARs probably exceed FALs and G3s combined.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
In terms of advancing civilian CCW and having people actually carry a gun regularly, its the KelTec P3AT, whose design lead to the hugely successful uber CCW success of the Ruger LCP.

Probably the most important pistol design of the 21st Century (yes, i'm counting 1999)

https://media.keltecweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/P3AT-Right_DSC3035-1-1.jpg
View Quote

People here dump on Keltec (for some right reasons, but  mainly because the cool kids think it's chic). I can tell you I'll never sell mine. Garbage sights, aweful trigger and atrocious recoil jolt, but it runs and asked for more ammo. Mine has proven itself as the most reliable handgun I've owned.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dumak:
The USP.

View Quote

QFT

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

People here dump on Keltec (for some right reasons, but  mainly because the cool kids think it's chic). I can tell you I'll never sell mine. Garbage sights, aweful trigger and atrocious recoil jolt, but it runs and asked for more ammo. Mine has proven itself as the most reliable handgun I've owned.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
In terms of advancing civilian CCW and having people actually carry a gun regularly, its the KelTec P3AT, whose design lead to the hugely successful uber CCW success of the Ruger LCP.

Probably the most important pistol design of the 21st Century (yes, i'm counting 1999)

https://media.keltecweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/P3AT-Right_DSC3035-1-1.jpg

I still remember hitting a 10" gong at 50yd with my P32 with its triangular slide non sights. Thing was naturally accurate despite all expectations.

Foolishly traded it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawless_Flogic] [#5]
Originally Posted By Herewego:
Which one of those had a design so perfect it has not been changed in over 100 years.
View Quote

Neither.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Smith and Wesson registered magnum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
This
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bigbadbobthedog:
This
View Quote

That ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#9]
The Hi-Power is a fantastic gun with a terrible trigger. The 1911 is a terrible gun with a fantastic trigger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#10]
“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem.  Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my own pistol in their training program because it was not fair.  Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. . . . Jeff Cooper
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dropdbombnow:
“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem.  Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my own pistol in their training program because it was not fair.  Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. . . . Jeff Cooper
View Quote

Right?

I can shoot SO MANY more times with a Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:27:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15thur] [#12]
So good i double tapped
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:30:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15thur] [#13]
My main piece is a USP for a reason. 

The real answer is this

That grip safety is so sassy
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Right?

I can shoot SO MANY more times with a Hi-Power.
View Quote

230gr x 8 = 1840gr in a magazine

115gr x 15 = 1725gr in a magazine

1911 has a whole other bullet worth of lead yeeted before reloading.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Glock 17. In America the Glock platform is hands down the most common on the market. When it comes to buying parts/holsters/accessories literally every company caters to Glock. Its also the most wide-spread for law enforcement contracts in the country. We're talking about an extremely reliable, light-weight, durable gun that's easy to fix/clean, extremely accurate and very reasonably priced.

I absolutely hate the feel of the grip and the grip angle on a Glock. But I've also been carrying one for 16 years now. In 16 years I've had one malfunction. Shooting with Gloves and I pushed the slide-stop up during rapid fire locking the slide to the rear.

I think they are ugly. They do not feel great in the hand. But they are lightweight and cram a ton of rounds into a compact package for a mid-full-size gun. Glock changed the game.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:40:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#16]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

View Quote

Ok but if I got 14 guys on me are they just going to be polite and line up like it's the DMV?

I'm sure it's happened before, but I can't think of ANY time I thought "You know what?  I brought TOO many bullets"
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in a DkProf thread!

IM IN A FUCKING DKPROF THREAD!!!!

WITNESS MEEEEEEE!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By leatherpuke:
I'm in a DkProf thread!

IM IN A FUCKING DKPROF THREAD!!!!

WITNESS MEEEEEEE!!!!!
View Quote

Just go post in YLYL.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Ok but if I got 14 guys on me are they just going to be polite and line up like it's the DMV?

I'm sure it's happened before, but I can't think of ANY time I thought "You know what?  I brought TOO many bullets"
View Quote

MBIC, if you have 14 guys roll up on you I don't know that 1 handgun round for each of them will be enough.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

124 x 15 = 1860
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AR15thur:
My main piece is a USP for a reason. 

The real answer is this

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pgNNX3Gw6G8/maxresdefault.jpg

That grip safety is so sassy
View Quote

I have no idea what that is. But I kinda want to put my penis in it.

Is that wrong? Am I wrong for that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

This thread needs more spray paint and War Boys!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By leatherpuke:

WITNESS MEEEEEEE!!!!!

HE LOOKED AT ME! HE LOOKED RIGHT AT ME!
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#25]

He couldn't have, because he died before it was ever produced.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mac_Fan:
I read somewhere that even JMB himself preferred the Hi-Power.

Abe Lincoln said that JMB preferred the HP in a tweet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Originally Posted By Mac_Fan:
I read somewhere that even JMB himself preferred the Hi-Power.

True facts. Even Jeffy D endorsed it.

One of the few things they agreed on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]

I still remember hitting a 10" gong at 50yd with my P32 with its triangular slide non sights. Thing was naturally accurate despite all expectations.

Foolishly traded it.
View Quote

Buy another one. They're cheap. I buy them for all the people in my life who refuse to carry a gun because they're too heavy. I guarantee that P32 hits harder than I can.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Pointman91:

124 x 15 = 1860
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pointman91:

124 x 15 = 1860

147 x 15 = 2205

Silly metric, though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#29]
The 1911.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tacocat:
Glock 17
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#31]
G17
P226
USP
92FS
CZ75

Then maybe a hi-power or 1911.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Beretta 92(and variants). Smoothest operating action and trigger (albeit long DA pull). HP really has to be tuned and modded to get as smooth as the 92, and the 1911 has to have action and feed work to match the 92.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#33]
They are the same...but different.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Beretta 92(and variants). Smoothest operating action and trigger (albeit long DA pull). HP really has to be tuned and modded to get as smooth as the 92, and the 1911 has to have action and feed work to match the 92.
View Quote

FUCK THAT

the 92 is a clunky piece of shit

Bastard child of a P-38

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#35]
The Hi-Power is a superior military sidearm compared to the 1911.  Only thing better on the 1911 is the trigger.

Glock 19 is the best currently.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 47Under:
Glock 17
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#38]
Originally Posted By 110:
The Hi-Power is a superior military sidearm compared to the 1911.  Only thing better on the 1911 is the trigger.

Glock 19 is the best currently.
View Quote

No, the question was ever designed. The CZ 75 holds the reigns.  Everything else, is adequate, and then maybe. Their is none more copied than the CZ-75, not even our beloved 1911, and  AR-15 pistol put together. It's the most copied pistol ever. Just is.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:01:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glockadoodadoo] [#39]
Originally Posted By GGF:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/ZmySpzB-547.gif

There's only one right answer.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I always read the HP was made to fix the issues with the 1911.  

I like my 1911s. But I also think the HKUSP is close to perfection along with the Sig 226, Glock 19/45
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I would add those Sigs that go off by themselves to the poll.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
I would add those Sigs that go off by themselves to the poll.
View Quote

Why? Why would you?
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#43]
The yeet cannon , no contest Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:10:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DustyChalk] [#44]
Wheelgun.
WORLD RECORD 1000 yard shot with a 9mm Hand Gun! | S&W 929 by Jerry Miculek

Also:  you misspelled 2011.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Poll fail, no CZ75.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:

You might as well buy a staccato.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
Originally Posted By xanadu:

For Me, the BHP was the most naturally pointing pistol I've ever owned.

But I HATED the safety.  You had to have fingers like a chipmunk to actuate it - what a shitty design.

Perfect you ask???  The Hi Power with the 1911 slide cut and safety, in 9mm - OMG.. Pertfect Pistol.  All that I could ever ask for.  

The "upgraded" BHP, with the same funky safety and an extended lever is still worthless in my eyes.

You might as well buy a staccato.

Or a Platypus so you can use the greatest part of the Glock family, the cheap and reliable mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#47]

The Platypus is a DS 1911 with a plastic grip that takes glock mags, so it seems we know where your vote is.

Glock didn't really invent anything so much as he combined the Sig P220's locking mechanism (an evolution of the 1911's) with a polymer frame (HK did this over a decade earlier) and striker ignition (which had already been used by HK and others). Where he excelled was in lowering production costs and marketing to get them into as many LEOs holsters as he could. Sort of like Sig is doing with the P320.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By p3590:
This thread smells like gertol and whether originals.

Browning (and FN) had to design around patents on the far superior 1911 style trigger to make the down syndrome mechanical abortion that is the BHP.

Stock USGI 1940s 1911 vs 1940s BHP...The hi-power is obviously better.  Basically double the capacity with an equivalently shitty military trigger, and better sights (at least the tangent sight BHP).  

Commercially made now...9mm 1911 platform smokes the BHP. You can have a far better trigger and more ammo.

Alien vs Platypus is the question for today.

The Platypus is a DS 1911 with a plastic grip that takes glock mags, so it seems we know where your vote is.

Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
Here we go again. Whenever you post a thread like this all you’re going to do is get a bunch of people nominating their favorite pistol.

Before we can even have this discussion, we have to agree on what “greatest” means. Greatest does not necessarily mean best. To me, greatest means the handgun design had the largest overall impact on subsequent handgun designs.  

Both of the choices were great handguns. There’s no doubt about that. But when it comes to great-est, there can only be one. That is the Glock 17. No I do not own one anymore, no it is not my favorite, and no it is not the best. But it is the greatest. Here’s why.

When the Glock 17 appeared on the market, there was nothing else like it. You HK fanboys can shut the fuck up. There was nothing like the Glock 17 when it appeared.

Within a few years, every single MAJOR manufacturer had introduced or was working on a compact polymer framed high capacity 9 mm semi automatic that was striker fired, with no external safeties. In other words, literally every major manufacturer came out with their version of the Glock. You can’t say that about the 1911, you can’t say that about the high-power, you can’t say that about any other handgun of modern times. One handgun came along and completely changed the handgun market. That was the Glock 17.

Glock didn't really invent anything so much as he combined the Sig P220's locking mechanism (an evolution of the 1911's) with a polymer frame (HK did this over a decade earlier) and striker ignition (which had already been used by HK and others). Where he excelled was in lowering production costs and marketing to get them into as many LEOs holsters as he could. Sort of like Sig is doing with the P320.

Plastic grips on a Platypus? Please, tell us more about your knowledge on this handgun

Attachment Attached File

PS: I agree that liking the Platypus makes you a 1911 guy by default
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Plastic grips on a Platypus? Please, tell us more about your knowledge on this handgun

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5986_jpeg-3322932.JPG

PS: I agree that liking the Platypus makes you a 1911 guy by default
View Quote

You're right.

The point stands though that 2011s have bolt up plastic or metal grips and are otherwise a DS 1911.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:25:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#49]

Colt Paterson 1836 model revolver in the hands of the Texas Rangers.
First successful multishot handgun, which jump-started Colt's production run.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Colt_Paterson_5th_Model.jpg

Colt Paterson 1836 model revolver in the hands of the Texas Rangers.
First successful multishot handgun, which jump-started Colt's production run.
View Quote

Agree with this too. Instead of the 1911 being the greatest, you almost need a list of firearms that changed history.

Colt 1836
Kentucky Longrifle
Needle rifle
Mauser design

So on and so fourth.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top