[#1]

“A part of the Atlantic Wall in Northern France, 1944.”

“German MG42 machine gun bunker at Omaha Beach, Normandy, France – 1944.”

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MG 42 in the movie.

My understanding is many of the Normandy bunkers had the water cooled German Maxim gun Maschinengewehr 08 in 8mm.
View Quote

lots of different MG's were on the Atlantic wall but as far as I remember it was all MG-42 in the film.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That book is a work of fiction.  Well researched, but fiction.
View Quote
Likely true but I think it has enough truth in it to be somewhat useful in gaining a perspective (with caution) from a side of D Day not often covered. I'd put it along side some of Stephen Ambrose's works, good reads, but facts mixed with errors and fiction.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

lots of different MG's were on the Atlantic wall but as far as I remember it was all MG-42 in the film.
View Quote

If they had anything but the iconic German machine guns, people would have claimed it wasnt accurate. Instead of a bunch of PO8 , Belgium and French machine guns
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

“Hitler’s buzz saw”
View Quote

I prefer "Hitler's Zipper"...oh wait...that didn't sound good...I mean the nickname "Hitler's Zipper".
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

34 had a slower rof in general but I think there was a version of it that blew even the 42 out of the water
View Quote

I think you're thinking of the MG17; the shroud makes it look somewhat like a '34, but the '17 was an aircraft gun.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t know if this is true or not, but I was told that when filming the movie Saving Private Ryan, that the owner of Advanced Armament Corp assisted them with the sound effects.

Supposedly a team from the movie went to his private range and recorded hours worth of sound clips of real MG-42s, MG-34s, and American weapons and used those clips throughout the movie for the gun sounds.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

34 had a slower rof in general but I think there was a version of it that blew even the 42 out of the water
View Quote

MG34 S. Full auto only, unlike MG34 which was select fire.

Had a rate of fire equal to MG42, but MG42 was already in production, quicker and cheaper to manufacture, and more practical for all kinds of reasons.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top