Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never driven a Peugeot then eh ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been in a car where the dimmer isn't on the floor or the left side stalk.

Some people may have, but nobody is proud of it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Three on the tree!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Popup headlights
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been in a car where the dimmer isn't on the floor or the left side stalk.

Attachment Attached File

Jean Todt would like a word with you Prolly Ari and Timo too

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never have. Knew someone that had one. We called it the sewing machine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Popup headlights
View Quote

Hideaway headlights.  Powered by engine vacuum, of coarse.  Cause GD is so worried about EMPs.  And if you happened to get a job as a bouncer at a rowdy night club like on Roadhouse, the drunks you threw out couldn't smash your lights.
And while we're at it, shaker hoods where your engine sticks through a hole in the hood.  And real functional hood scoops and cowl induction with the flappers connected to the engine.

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Carburateur

View Quote

I thought you were talking about TBI.

or as we call it toilet bowl injection.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Pop up and hideaway headlights.

Forget this ugly clear yellowing headlight crap.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaS3cEkN9Wdxbzw_JesF9lnwXab3aKgLlvyw&usqp=CAU

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carburateur

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaS3cEkN9Wdxbzw_JesF9lnwXab3aKgLlvyw&usqp=CAU

I'm willing to entertain wide latitude for its use

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Station wagons
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Full size 2 door 4X4 step side pickups.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This too. And I'm alright with manual windows. The power ones that go all the way down/up instead of stopping when you stop pressing the button are annoying.
View Quote

That is auto up and down. Don't push the darn button so hard and it will function exactly as you wish. At least every vehicle I've been in does this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm willing to entertain wide latitude for its use

View Quote

well, oddly enough TBI has kinda sorta found its way back in from the realm of the automotive idea graveyard.

some of the later direct injection motors have a low pressure 5th injector.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Station wagons
View Quote

With the wood paneling and the cargo area with the back seat facing backwards so you could make faces at the cars behind you.  And the kids were far away from the driver.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
traffic light viewers
View Quote

Those were always aftermarket add-on gimmicks, right? If not what cars were they standard or optional on?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Carburetors do have one thing over electronic injection, being all mechanical you can replace the parts forever, 100 years from now Model T's through the early 80's cars will still be running and functional. EFI cars will have to hope that someone will be able to duplicate the factory PCM and BCM modules for whatever model of car you still want to be able to run. I am betting that 99.9% of EFI cars will be non-running by the year 2200.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Carburetors do have one thing over electronic injection, being all mechanical you can replace the parts forever, 100 years from now Model T's through the early 80's cars will still be running and functional. EFI cars will have to hope that someone will be able to duplicate the factory PCM and BCM modules for whatever model of car you still want to be able to run. I am betting that 99.9% of EFI cars will be non-running by the year 2200.
View Quote

Dont be silly.  They'll just do whatever the current version of "LS swap it bruh" is in 100 years.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Foot switch high beam
View Quote
THIS!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Curb feelers (but rather than flexible wires, they can be digital sensors). I never was consistent with parking, and these new cars don't give me straight lines to judge where I am.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Stole some of these from others:

Fender directionals --- What is this? Fender mounted turn signals like an air-cooled VW Beetle has? I thought it was the little reminder light on the front corners that flashes with the signals; reminds you that they're on
Bench seat option --- They were like sofas, inner coil or "S" suspension springs, good padding and seated three across in comfort. Plus you can sleep on them and they're great for romantic interludes
T Tops or Targa Tops --- On Fiat X1/9, some Porsche 911’s etc, way better than a sunroof and structurally better than a regular ragtop
Suicide doors --- Really nice idea. It’s 2023: I think we can handle the negative/dangerous stigma with better design engineering. Gull wing doors or Lamborghini doors are nice too
Shift lever on the column --- No reason for automatic cars to have it always on the floor. P R N D L2 L1 is a gigantic space waster along with front to back console. Preserves passenger room in conjunction with bench seats
Pop up/hideaway headlights --- Neat styling cue, just weird that no new car has them anymore
Glass headlight lenses --- We have the technology to create distortion-free, optically correct lenses in glass and also have a replaceable bulb (Halogen, Xenon, HID, LED, etc)

Dispose of:

Hazy plastic headlight lenses --- new cars all have large, garish looking headlights that stretch back into half of the fender panel. Ugly, brittle and the plastic always hazes over
Gigantic dashboard --- why must new cars all have a dashboard that goes almost to the floor? A front collision means my knees are toast
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm going with the ball cooler vent.
View Quote

They are now called vented/cooled seats.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You should feel bad and reconsider the list of choices.

Vent windows and ball chiller vents are obsoleted by cheap and reliable AC.  

Admittedly salt slush eats floor mounted dimmer switches, but they're cheap and easy to replace, and handy. If you're being handsy with your date and driving at night, they're the bomb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The floor mounted dimmer switch might be the dumbest automotive obsession ever.

Yes, I've had them. No, I don't see one single advantage of them over column mounted switches.
You should feel bad and reconsider the list of choices.

Vent windows and ball chiller vents are obsoleted by cheap and reliable AC.  

Admittedly salt slush eats floor mounted dimmer switches, but they're cheap and easy to replace, and handy. If you're being handsy with your date and driving at night, they're the bomb.

I regularly drive around with the windows and moonroof open on my 2022 vehicle with a perfectly fine AC.

In the older vehicles I grew up with, there were days those vent windows were delightful and I wouldn't trade them for any AC ever sold. The only thing I didn't like was the whistling when the seals got old.

Every vehicle I've ever driven had the dimmer switch on the floor or the left side of the column, and the column mounted switches can be flicked without taking my left hand off the wheel. If I want to send my right hand to fun places in the passenger seat, the dimmer switch is no obstacle.

Alternatively, I never liked having the floor mounted switch being positioned in a place that was in the way of resting my left foot when driving an automatic or not pushing the clutch on a manual, I never liked cleaning around it, and I'm glad the all weather mats in newer vehicles don't have to be designed around them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Bench seats.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The automobile industry has been in a steady decline since 1980.  The cars are poorly made piles of plastic.  Yes, horsepower has increased dramatically in the past 2 decades.  However they are soul sucking appliances that are designed to be overcomplicated so you can't service and repair them yourself.

When things are simple, they are generally better.  (generally)
View Quote

1975-1985 is easily the worst era ever in automotive history.

Those cars were full of cheesy brittle plastics inside and out, they had 5L+ V8s that made like 110 horsepower, they got 12 MPG, they were extremely slow, rust was standard factory equipment, they had 87 yards of vacuum tubing, they were death traps in collisions, and they all had 5 digit odometers for a very good reason.

Seriously, the only cars worth a damn from that era were from Mercedes and Volvo. American cars were trash, and JDM cars weren't really mature yet.

The vehicles produced in later decades are better in every way imaginable, and it's not close.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]
No computer modules
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Brought back?...

...how about getting rid if the last 15-20 years of feds-mandated bullshit instead
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84774/A591A68F-981B-4A74-9195-C1C29F13DCED_jpe-2868632.JPG
I want the entire car back. Really miss the 1960s cars cool factor.
View Quote

With factory aluminum wheels. Nice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#28]
This really doesn’t really fit the bill, but…

I wish that everything in the dash (entertainment/info, etc.) wasn’t completely integrated. I miss the days of aftermarket stereos/speakers/equalizers/amps and all other fun stuff.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Modern automatic headlight make needing to do this obsolete.
View Quote

Yeah my 24 Chevy has that, but a foot dimmer is great for flashing an led light bar with his brights on bronzer without having to grab the turn signal stalk to flash him.  Square body Chevys had it just right.  Side vent was perfect to have if you locked keys in vehicle, but also made it easier for thieves.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Convertible sedans
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Real steel bumpers
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#33]
4x4 trucks with at least 3 shift levers on the floor.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Foot switch high beam
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Dual temperature control for vent and floor
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Those cars were full of cheesy brittle plastics inside and out, they had 5L+ V8s that made like 110 horsepower, they got 12 MPG, they were extremely slow, rust was standard factory equipment, they had 87 yards of vacuum tubing, they were death traps in collisions, and they all had 5 digit odometers for a very good reason.

Seriously, the only cars worth a damn from that era were from Mercedes and Volvo. American cars were trash, and JDM cars weren't really mature yet.

The vehicles produced in later decades are better in every way imaginable, and it's not close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The automobile industry has been in a steady decline since 1980.  The cars are poorly made piles of plastic.  Yes, horsepower has increased dramatically in the past 2 decades.  However they are soul sucking appliances that are designed to be overcomplicated so you can't service and repair them yourself.

When things are simple, they are generally better.  (generally)

As the owner of an American vehicle made in 1980, I approve this message.

Not selling it, though.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess the newer ventilated seats are comparable to the ball chiller vent but can we get both?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Ball chiller vents, quarter glass windows and floor mounted highbeam switches.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Curb feelers (but rather than flexible wires, they can be digital sensors). I never was consistent with parking, and these new cars don't give me straight lines to judge where I am.
View Quote

Flip the mirror selector to the curb side, then put the car into reverse.

Good cars will point the mirror down at the ground for you.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Stole some of these from others:

Fender directionals --- What is this? Fender mounted turn signals like an air-cooled VW Beetle has? I thought it was the little reminder light on the front corners that flashes with the signals; reminds you that they're on
Bench seat option --- They were like sofas, inner coil or "S" suspension springs, good padding and seated three across in comfort. Plus you can sleep on them and they're great for romantic interludes
T Tops or Targa Tops --- On Fiat X1/9, some Porsche 911’s etc, way better than a sunroof and structurally better than a regular ragtop
Suicide doors --- Really nice idea. It’s 2023: I think we can handle the negative/dangerous stigma with better design engineering. Gull wing doors or Lamborghini doors are nice too
Shift lever on the column --- No reason for automatic cars to have it always on the floor. P R N D L2 L1 is a gigantic space waster along with front to back console. Preserves passenger room in conjunction with bench seats
Pop up/hideaway headlights --- Neat styling cue, just weird that no new car has them anymore
Glass headlight lenses --- We have the technology to create distortion-free, optically correct lenses in glass and also have a replaceable bulb (Halogen, Xenon, HID, LED, etc)

Dispose of:

Hazy plastic headlight lenses --- new cars all have large, garish looking headlights that stretch back into half of the fender panel. Ugly, brittle and the plastic always hazes over
Gigantic dashboard --- why must new cars all have a dashboard that goes almost to the floor? A front collision means my knees are toast
View Quote

There is no need for a shift lever anywhere. Buttons can tell the transmission computer which mode to be in without the expensive mechanical linkage driving the same switches.

There's a knee airbag under that gigantic dashboard.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Convertible sedans
View Quote

They went away because no one bought them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They went away because no one bought them.
View Quote

The PT cruiser and chrysler sebring convertibles sold like they were going out of style!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Naturally aspirated vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Not so much tech but the construction. I want a late 70s high boy crew cab, except with a modern drive train minus compute nannies. Big ole body on frame badass with a modern high output engine with a standalone EFI system and modern trans. If we could get rid of the stupid pedestrian safety and crash laws and just let people buy what they want with the actual data out there that would be great.

I could've bought an original one with virtually no rust for about $2,600 around 2004 and passed.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Vent windows
Ford's 4.9 L inline
Metal dashboards and floorboards with full vinyl bench seat
View Quote

They should bring back the inline with a snail strapped to it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I want them to bring back the backseat liquor bar like the old jags
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone who prefers carburetors is sick and needs to see a doctor.
View Quote

Not just any carburetor, but a 4 barrel gas sucking, move the gas needle, carburetor

Just kidding I wouldn't trade fuel injection, but to me, the lag and the sound of a quadrajet kicking in is awesome.

Quadrajet Carb in action 400 Ram Air 2
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Lessened crash regs.

Lighter vehicles.

The reliability of an 80s/90s JDM build.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Foot switch high beam
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#50]
R12 air conditioners

2 door coupes with back seats and you could still roll down the back windows

Fastbacks with rear window louvers

Headlights and tail lights where you can replace the bulb without having to remove the wheels or 20lb of interior trim.

pushrod motors with flat tappet lifters that dont need 20yd of timing chains.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top