Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/11/2019 10:56:47 AM EDT
China’s J-20 air superiority fighter could be developed into a stealthy strike and electronic attack jet.

Upon entering service in 2017 the Chengdu J-20 became the first active fifth generation fighter jet in the world developed outside the United States — providing the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) with an analogue to the U.S. Air Force’s F-22 Raptor air superiority fighter. The J-20 was designed with a radar evading stealth profile to maximize its survivability both in air-to-air combat against enemy fighters and against enemy air defenses. The fighter’s air superiority airframe provides it with a high thrust/weight ratio, a high speed, high operational altitude, and the long range needed to dominate airspace both over Chinese territory and beyond across the South and East China Seas. Recent reports from Chinese state media outlet CCTV however indicate that the J-20 airframe could potentially be modified to fulfil different roles for the PLAAF — namely that of an electronic attack and a strike aircraft.

The PLAAF has increasingly relied on modifying airframes of high performance combat aircraft to perform specialized roles – a lower cost alternative to developing new airframes altogether. The J-11B airframe, for example, was developed into an advanced strike fighter, the J-16, and the J-16 was itself in turn developed into an electronic attack jet, the J-16D. The J-15 carrier based air superiority fighter has also been developed into an electronic attack aircraft, the J-15D (or J-17), while the JH-7 strike fighter and H-6 bomber have undergone similar modifications. Alongside an electronic attack role, some H-6 bombers have also been developed into ballistic missile carrying strike bombers, capitalizing on the airframe’s versatility and reliability to develop specialized derivatives.

The extent of modifications the J-20 airframe will undergo to develop a strike variant remain to be seen — fighters such as the F-15E and J-16 underwent relatively minor external changes while the Su-34 and FB-22 required major revisions to the original designs. Other EW and strike fighters have been modified to accommodate more fuel and extend their range, with the F-15E being a key example, deploying conformal fuel tanks that the original F-15 lacked. However, the J-20’s already considerable range and the difficulty of adding conformal fuel tanks while retaining a sleek stealth profile mean that such modifications may not be applied.
View Quote
PRC is learning...and buildingo0
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard their engines suck
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
DS traitors still providing assistance to our enemies?

TC
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
What’s Next for China’s Fifth Generation Fighter Jet?
View Quote
Getting shot down.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They now have the technical ability to produce single crystal turbine blades. Focusing on what they can field today completely ignores the leaps and bounds they have made in the past 20 years. It wasn’t too long ago at all that the best they could manage were warmed over MiG-21s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#5]
It irritates me that people mock them on their ability to build a jet engine. Well, humans have proven to be good at problem solving. They're going to eventually figure it out.

America sucked at building rockets. And then we figured out how to build them without it exploding on the launch pad.

Planning for the future by banking on a foes current manufacturing capacity is fucking dumb. China is not someone to underestimate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
when they start helping Trump win elections, then, and only then, will they be considered a threat....

Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They now have the technical ability to produce single crystal turbine blades. Focusing on what they can field today completely ignores the leaps and bounds they have made in the past 20 years. It wasn't too long ago at all that the best they could manage were warmed over MiG-21s.
View Quote
Well they've been stealing a lot of tech the past couple decades.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
They blow.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#9]
100% stealth.  Not even our older WW II radars will pick up its signature.  It's so simple it can be flown by virtually anyone.  Nothing in our Air Force, Navy or Marine Corps can spot them unless they're super close.

But then again, anyone can fold a sheet of paper into an airplane.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Time to test it out in combat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It irritates me that people mock them on their ability to build a jet engine. Well, humans have proven to be good at problem solving. They're going to eventually figure it out.

America sucked at building rockets. And then we figured out how to build them without it exploding on the launch pad.

Planning for the future by banking on a foes current manufacturing capacity is fucking dumb. China is not someone to underestimate.
View Quote
In the next 10 years, expect their tech and electronics capabilities to also skyrocket. The tech they stole just from Micron is enough to be damaging to us.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Nuke the Chinese
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
They have the intelligence, industry, and money to overcome the technical hurdles. We mock them for stealing our tech data when we should be mocking ourselves for letting them have such easy access to it.

You don’t win battles by fighting fair.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They blow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They blow.
There's a bang inbetween there
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Getting shot down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What’s Next for China’s Fifth Generation Fighter Jet?
Getting shot down.
They have to get them to fly first.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nuke the Chinese
View Quote
I'm anything but a fan of the Chinese communist party.

But you do know they can nuke us right back, right?

As for the jet, by the time they get the bugs worked out it will probably be obsolete. As it is we could probably Zerg Rush them with F35s right now if we were feeling that desperate.

Don't think we are going to be that desperate anytime soon though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Installing real weapon systems instead of what is clearly painted tubes in a cleary empty box under the plane might be a good move for them too...

Compare X vs X

J20

VS

F22

F35
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Never seen that Clear and detailed pics of the inside of the weapons bays before.

This is what shit looks like when it actually works!

Is that an umbilical attached to a missile on the F35 though?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They blow.
View Quote
All depends on your point of view.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Never seen that Clear and detailed pics of the inside of the weapons bays before.

This is what shit looks like when it actually works!

Is that an umbilical attached to a missile on the F35 though?
View Quote
Yeah, and it appears to also be covered in fiducial markers.

My guess some sort of physics testing package.

(ETA: Not like nuclear physics package, lol... those weapons look different... . I mean like wind resistance, stress/strain).
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As for the jet, by the time they get the bugs worked out it will probably be obsolete. As it is we could probably Zerg Rush them with F35s right now if we were feeling that desperate.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Whats next?  Whatever America was doing two years ago, only shittier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i1.wp.com/missilethreat.csis.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/intercept.gif
I AM a gambling man... but I'd prefer not to play a game with those odds if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m sure that thing has a pretty small RCS from the front compared to an F-15 or F/A-18, but probably still orders of magnitude greater than an F-22.  Canards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I AM a gambling man... but I'd prefer not to play a game with those odds if I don't have to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i1.wp.com/missilethreat.csis.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/intercept.gif
Well we need Trident Vs with 24 MIRVs first.

Then we can play the game.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, even if one nuke gets through it can make an awful mess.

Perhaps it will just hit someplace like San Francisco?

But if it was me playing the game it would probably be Malmstrom.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Indeed

X87
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#28]
What I would be more worried about is the PRC selling those planes to  states like Iran or Pakistan and encouraging them to start shit with them. That could destabilize the Persian Gulf and Southwest Asia fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Chinese are not good at problem solving.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy wrote an article awhile back about the possibility of a really unhinged right wing American president provoking China into a war and getting a lot of the west coast depopulated along with China being annihilated.

Which would solidify conservative control of national politics for a long time and solidify our global supremacy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#31]
What's next for this pile of shit, is for one to get blown out of the sky and for the rest to have no idea what did it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A guy wrote an article awhile back about the possibility of a really unhinged right wing Anerican president provoking China into a war and getting a lot of the west coast depopulated along with China being annihilated.

Which would solidify conservative control of national politics for a long time and solidify our global supremacy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy wrote an article awhile back about the possibility of a really unhinged right wing Anerican president provoking China into a war and getting a lot of the west coast depopulated along with China being annihilated.

CHALK UP ANOTHER WIN FOR THE WHISKERS DOCTRINE
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What's next for this pile of shit, is for one to get blown out of the sky and for the rest to have no idea what did it.
View Quote
Sounds like a job for Japan.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They now have the technical ability to produce single crystal turbine blades. Focusing on what they can field today completely ignores the leaps and bounds they have made in the past 20 years. It wasn’t too long ago at all that the best they could manage were warmed over MiG-21s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When did that happen?

I know they dumped billions into their jet propulsion industry because they have been so far behind for decades.

I've been following a lot of Chinese sources on the status of the WS-15, but haven't seen claims of single Chrystal turbine blades.

They're still doing external stores carriage testing on the J-20.

Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Considering modern systems rely on sensor fusion and networking between aircraft, and all sorts of communications, I hope we are heavily focused on anti-satellite weapons, including hunter-killer anti-satellite satellites, able to alter their position and orbit and fire missiles and/or projectiles at other satellites. This is what we need and this is what we are also vulnerable to.

Stealth or not, if we can take out their aircraft's ability to function as a unified system, they are screwed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A guy wrote an article awhile back about the possibility of a really unhinged right wing American president provoking China into a war and getting a lot of the west coast depopulated along with China being annihilated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would bankrupt our nation and destroy the nation's major tech and defense region, not to mention the largest food provider.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
what a fucking mad man.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#38]
“The WS-15 engine designed for the J-20 exploded during a ground running test in 2015,” a Chinese military source told the SCMP . “The explosion indicated the WS-15 is not reliable, and so far there is no fundamental solution to overcome such a problem … that’s why the J-20 is using WS-10B engines now.”

All of the Chinese J-20s observed thus have been equipped with either the Russian Salyut AL-31FN or the WS-10B. “Using the WS-10B engines is just a temporary, expedient stage of the J-20’s engine development … in the future, the aircraft may use another new engine, the improved performance engine (IPE) version of the WS-10, the WS-10 IPE, until the development of the WS-15 is successful,” a Chinese military source told the SCMP earlier this year. “It’s so embarrassing to change engines for such an important aircraft project several times … just because of the unreliability of the current WS-15 engines. It is the long-standing core problem among home-grown aircraft.”

J-20 fatal flaws and Chinese fixes
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
“The WS-15 engine designed for the J-20 exploded during a ground running test in 2015,” a Chinese military source told the SCMP . “The explosion indicated the WS-15 is not reliable, and so far there is no fundamental solution to overcome such a problem … that’s why the J-20 is using WS-10B engines now.”

All of the Chinese J-20s observed thus have been equipped with either the Russian Salyut AL-31FN or the WS-10B. “Using the WS-10B engines is just a temporary, expedient stage of the J-20’s engine development … in the future, the aircraft may use another new engine, the improved performance engine (IPE) version of the WS-10, the WS-10 IPE, until the development of the WS-15 is successful,” a Chinese military source told the SCMP earlier this year. “It’s so embarrassing to change engines for such an important aircraft project several times … just because of the unreliability of the current WS-15 engines. It is the long-standing core problem among home-grown aircraft.”

J-20 fatal flaws and Chinese fixes
View Quote
With all the money they have they will build their own or buy it. It's just a matter of time.

Thank you Walmart shoppers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When did that happen?

I know they dumped billions into their jet propulsion industry because they have been so far behind for decades.

I've been following a lot of Chinese sources on the status of the WS-15, but haven't seen claims of single Chrystal turbine blades.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4_hrZpLSC7A/WGCneC7qvXI/AAAAAAABI_E/YLyfKw4FdDIgU_7-E3myH9ncNI0zi16fQCLcB/s640/J-20%2Bcarried%2Bwith%2Bfour%2Bdrop%2Btanks%2Bis%2Bunveiled%2Bfor%2Bthe%2Bfirst%2Btime%2B3.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpCOxrUVwq2oZt9Pb7a_o-GICtusmE09U6Ly6XvwWHTZsPGPcU
View Quote
And the USMC IOCed F-35 without the ability to fire AIM-120...
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#41]
China will never surpass American aircraft.

Just keep telling yourself that...
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But think road trip time!

@beitodesstrafe

ashheap here we come
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When did that happen?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4_hrZpLSC7A/WGCneC7qvXI/AAAAAAABI_E/YLyfKw4FdDIgU_7-E3myH9ncNI0zi16fQCLcB/s640/J-20%2Bcarried%2Bwith%2Bfour%2Bdrop%2Btanks%2Bis%2Bunveiled%2Bfor%2Bthe%2Bfirst%2Btime%2B3.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpCOxrUVwq2oZt9Pb7a_o-GICtusmE09U6Ly6XvwWHTZsPGPcU
View Quote
The WS-15 uses single crystal blades. Yes,the engines have been problematic but there was enough hubris in Americans that "the Chinese can't manage to build such things" that far too many research papers were released to help China on their way and relying upon "OK,so they built them but will never get the bugs worked out" is a pretty idiotic strategy. Laugh now,realize they have a fleet of capable planes in another short decade.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@beitodesstrafe

ashheap here we come
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@beitodesstrafe

ashheap here we come
Assuming we get enough warning.

Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sounds like a job for Japan.
View Quote
imgaine what the japanese are building that the chinese dont know about right now?

General mao is gonna be pissed
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
From what I remember of my college economic textbooks, economists have deluded themselves into thinking that the progression to a "services" economy that just shuffles around wealth built up in the past from commodity harvesting and manufacturing are the inevitable and perhaps sustainable march towards progress, rather than the product of a corrupt elite (is there any other kind?) who decided to offshore all of our manufacturing for a quick buck in a few recent decades.

When you have a country that could not economically manufacture a hair curler or toaster at this point, the knowledge to do so will likely be gone soon as well. Outsourcing everything possible, letting in  tens of thousands of spies on student and work visas every year, looking back, it will seem to historians that the western powers almost deliberately did everything to make it easier for their greatest strategic rivals to achieve industrial and eventually technological superiority.

I remember as a child reading a book of stories from soldiers in the Vietnam War. A unit spent all night in the jungle looking for a lost NVD. The natives were poor, not stupid, he reflected. They were terrified of what they would do with it if they found it. They are not poor anymore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#47]
What is the deal about single-crystal turbine blades. If I understand that correctly are we growing the turbine blades?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The germans did for You ??
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And the USMC IOCed F-35 without the ability to fire with enhanced guidance capability for the AIM-120, but not full F-35 3F software guidance as 3F was still being developed...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did that happen?

And the USMC IOCed F-35 without the ability to fire with enhanced guidance capability for the AIM-120, but not full F-35 3F software guidance as 3F was still being developed...
What does this have to do with Chinese propulsion again?

We've been building the world's best fighter jet engines for the past 70 years, and are always chasing better performance, reliability, efficiency, and now self-diagnostic and management via FADEC, VLO characteristics, and integrated systems of systems so the engine is part of the aircraft.

China's developmental engines are exploding because they can't manage temps, materials science, dimensional variances with coefficient of thermal expansion and rotational force, compression, combustion, and all the other challenges with running even a 4th Gen engine.

Now imagine them having to produce the engine, even if they get one right in test and development.

Meanwhile, we're already decades ahead on the 6th Gen Variable Cycle Engines with 2 competing manufacturers, one of which had samples on both ATF prototypes in the late 1980s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I have no idea why everyone keeps calling this a 5th Gen aircraft when we have no idea if it's even stealthy
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top