Quoted:
Yeah, we grilled them with lemon, butter and garlic and they were awesome
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!

I'm a newb to this, but man is it fun pulling them in.

I love fishing.

I'm gonna cook up a filet tonight, but i'm tired and probably won't do a dinner pic.

Are they really good eating? (Compared to other common fish you'd buy)
Yeah, we grilled them with lemon, butter and garlic and they were awesome
Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
47#

Caught many many in the 20-30lb range. Haven’t broke the 40lb barrier yet.

Maybe this year. The trophy killlers are making it hard. It takes a long time for a female to get over 50lbs and a lot of those that do get caught are killed for a quick photo and bragging rights at the bait shop then end up in the garbage. Big fish like that taste terrible.

But anyway.
View Quote
So the medium size are the best tasting?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive caught them over 60 lbs, but they were 15 miles offshore so you cant keep them.  Outside of state waters, 3 miles out, you have to let them go.  Biggest one I caught that was kept  was 48'' 38#.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ive caught them over 60 lbs, but they were 15 miles offshore so you cant keep them.  Outside of state waters, 3 miles out, you have to let them go.  Biggest one I caught that was kept  was 48'' 38#.
View Quote
I'm not an accomplished Striper fisherman, nor a legal expert. Why can't you keep them that far out?

My gut instinct is that if they're that far out there'd be less regulation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen some huge Stripers pulled out of below the damn.......of course I'm sure the nuclear power plant has something to do with the size. Seen some hella big cats there too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
So,...........................this isn't a Bass Player from STRYPER thread?

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m surrounded by saltwater but am a freshwater fisherman at heart.  Trout on a fly is my heaven. That said when I do go saltwater fishing stripers are the only fish I target.  Where I fish you usually have to get through the bluefish (voracious eating machines that can be fun to catch but taste like shit).

In the fall during the migration around the end of LI (Montauk and Plum Gut) we Bang eels off fish finder rigs with enough weight to hit bottom. Usually 5-6 oz.  in the Pollack rip all you do is set up on the far side of the rip, hook an eel through the lip and eye(after you smack em on the side of the boat to slow them down). Drop to the bottom and reel twice then hang on. Guys troll umbrella rigs or parachutes but I “ain’t got no time fo dat”.  Bunker chunks off the shore and eels out of the boat....always.  Problem is damned bluefish eat the back of the eels making them useless for bass.  At a dollar or two a piece they can get expensive.  When the run is on we go out with 50 minimum
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Chattahoochee river in downtown Atlanta

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We used jigs.

Are eels better?

We ran 5 rods, and I went off my buddy's advice.

Trolling about 2.5-3.2mph
View Quote
I surf fished almost exclusively. Either in waders or I'd swim out past everyone's lines at Montauk in a wetsuit and get up on a rock. One 10' custom rod (thanks to Stan at Rocky Point Fishing Stop for rod-building lessons) and a Dam Quick bail-less reel. Match the bait to the blitz. That day, it was a single hook and a live eel. When they were on squid, I used a 6" Mambo Minnow in Pink. Eels work great drifting on a boat through the rips too. No need to troll. Just set up, drift thru, and reset.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I surf fished almost exclusively. Either in waders or I'd swim out past everyone's lines at Montauk in a wetsuit and get up on a rock. One 10' custom rod (thanks to Stan at Rocky Point Fishing Stop for rod-building lessons) and a Dam Quick bail-less reel. Match the bait to the blitz. That day, it was a single hook and a live eel. When they were on squid, I used a 6" Mambo Minnow in Pink. Eels work great drifting on a boat through the rips too. No need to troll. Just set up, drift thru, and reset.
View Quote
I have a lot of reading to do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea. They guys that wetsuit up and swim out to the “far” rocks at Montauk are certifiable full on crazy.  We’ve gone out it some bad conditions in a center console mako and had the coast guard shake their fingers at us.  First drift through the rip there was a wall of water 10 high on the left and right side of the boat.  The coast guard guys clapped at us as we came back in after 10 minutes.  But those crazy bastards on those rocks getting wiped out by waves constantly were still fishing.  I mean it’s REALLY dangerous and you gotta have a screw loser to even attempt it and it’s way out there too...  you better be able to swim like Mike Phelps....
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We used jigs.

Are eels better?

We ran 5 rods, and I went off my buddy's advice.

Trolling about 2.5-3.2mph
View Quote
eels = "striper candy"
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually the 8-10lb fish are the best eating.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to wait then, we can't take them that small now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yea. They guys that wetsuit up and swim out to the “far” rocks at Montauk are certifiable full on crazy.  We’ve gone out it some bad conditions in a center console mako and had the coast guard shake their fingers at us.  First drift through the rip there was a wall of water 10 high on the left and right side of the boat.  The coast guard guys clapped at us as we came back in after 10 minutes.  But those crazy bastards on those rocks getting wiped out by waves constantly were still fishing.  I mean it’s REALLY dangerous and you gotta have a screw loser to even attempt it and it’s way out there too...  you better be able to swim like Mike Phelps....
View Quote
I was like an hour into research and learned the surf guys were nuts.

Hahaha
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

eels = "striper candy"
View Quote
I'll try it next time, thanks man.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
You have found the reason I don't bother with boring largemouth bass. The lakes here are stocked with stripers.

Biggest for me is out of Lake Travis. 38lbs on an hot pink tube trolled behind a planer. State record is somewhere over 50 lbs.

Texas USED to have a saltwater striper population, but putting dams on all the rivers killed that off in the 40's. No place for them to spawn.

Buy yourself some of these guys in hot pink or white.

striper lure
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

eels = "striper candy"
View Quote
eels are some of the best baits for Cobia too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
take a glove with you... those things are a pain to get on the hook - the phrase "slippery as an eel" wasn't just words flung together.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You have found the reason I don't bother with boring largemouth bass. The lakes here are stocked with stripers.

Biggest for me is out of Lake Travis. 38lbs on an hot pink tube trolled behind a planer. State record is somewhere over 50 lbs.

Texas USED to have a saltwater striper population, but putting dams on all the rivers killed that off in the 40's. No place for them to spawn.

Buy yourself some of these guys in hot pink or white.

striper lure
View Quote
Which size would you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
take a glove with you... those things are a pain to get on the hook - the phrase "slippery as an eel" wasn't just words flung together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually he did have gloves!

I thought it was unnecessary, but damn if even the stripers aren't slippery.

With bass and such I figured "Dude, c'mon... just grab the darn thing."

I could see the utility when using eels
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Which size would you recommend?
View Quote
16" is all I use, but then again it's all they stock locally.   They are also damn good as an offshore lure for King Mackeral and Cobia.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is the biggest caught on my boat.  46lbs and caught on an eel over on the eastern shore.
Attachment Attached File

And this is what it used to be like trolling the Virginia beach ocean front.  Could limit out in 30 minutes and quick ride home.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here is the biggest caught on my boat.  46lbs and caught on an eel over on the eastern shore.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68932/PC130030-535919.JPG

And this is what it used to be like trolling the Virginia beach ocean front.  Could limit out in 30 minutes and quick ride home.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68932/P1060005-535920.JPG
View Quote
Wow. Nice work. I'd love to have a day like that!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I didn't witness it but a guy I k kw claims he caught one so big out of Lake Cumberland that the water level went down three feet when  came out of the water.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
48” is my record. Several 46” and similar. It helps that I grew up on Cape Cod and fishing a lot off the jetties and off boats.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to night fish hybrid stripers at Lake Arthur all the time. A buddy and I would go out wading in 4" water during when all the bait fish would come in the shallows. Caught a bunch in the 18" range. The put up a mighty good fight. The nighttime element was always a bit unnerving though. Never really knew what we were going to be pulling in, especially considering we were in the water. Lake was know to have some mighty big muskies
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
48” is my record. Several 46” and similar. It helps that I grew up on Cape Cod and fishing a lot off the jetties and off boats.
View Quote
Awesome.

I tell you, just pulling one of these has me thinking I've wasted my time on other types of fishing.

This is the largest fish I've ever caught.

Adding almost a foot into that? That's incredible.

I need to spend more time fishing brakish and saltwater.

The rewards are just awesome.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I used to night fish hybrid stripers at Lake Arthur all the time. A buddy and I would go out wading in 4" water during when all the bait fish would come in the shallows. Caught a bunch in the 18" range. The put up a mighty good fight. The nighttime element was always a bit unnerving though. Never really knew what we were going to be pulling in, especially considering we were in the water. Lake was know to have some mighty big muskies
View Quote
I went fishing for Muskie in MN, but I didn't land any.

That sounds like a fun fish to reel in. I hear they put up a hell of a fight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can’t tell you how many times I’d make it home missing a sock or a sleeve to my shirt. Whatever it takes to hook an eel and not let it wrap around the line.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I went fishing for Muskie in MN, but I didn't land any.

That sounds like a fun fish to reel in. I hear they put up a hell of a fight.
View Quote
Yup, definitely more aggressive than a large mouth, much stronger too. When you flip on the headlamp and see a silver flash at the end of your line it's a bit of relief. No way I'm gonna keep reeling in a muskie close quarters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Umm, er...I've never caught one.

Never even seen one here in WA, either fresh or saltwater.

I need to fix this problem ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can't tell you how many times I'd make it home missing a sock or a sleeve to my shirt. Whatever it takes to hook an eel and not let it wrap around the line.
View Quote
That's brilliant!!
You know, you might have just invented something: an eel sock - washable, reusable, essential striper fishing gear.  Shove it in there, work its head to the opening, put the hook through its lips.

Patent Pending...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#36]
10 lbs. with a Rapala Shadrap on 6 lb. test stren on an ultralight rod. That was fun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing impressive

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's brilliant!!
You know, you might have just invented something: an eel sock - washable, reusable, essential striper fishing gear.  Shove it in there, work its head to the opening, put the hook through its lips.

Patent Pending...
View Quote
Just make sure I get my fair share percentage when your patent comes in.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Umm, er...I've never caught one.

Never even seen one here in WA, either fresh or saltwater.

I need to fix this problem ASAP.
View Quote
Do it man, it's so much fun.

I've always been a freshwater guy. I've never caught a fish that big before.

Man is it fun!

I can't imagine how great deep sea stuff is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm beat boys, we were on ther water at 0500 today.

Please continue to post your stories and catches though!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was like an hour into research and learned the surf guys were nuts.

Hahaha
View Quote
Well....yeah. But the wall of people on the beach were downright dangerous. Sometimes before I'd swim out, I'd duck some lines and chuck a jig in the wash and pull out a striper. Everyone is casting as far as they can and catching bluefish while right in front of their feet there were stripers munching on the blitz scraps. You could see them darting around. They are almost always inside or outside the blues. Then I'd have to time my departure carefully, lest I get hooked. The worst is getting knocked off a rock with a fish on and backsliding towards the beach that's lined with shoulder-to-shoulder fisher people. One day I could barely even get a cast off without getting creamed. But those were the best ones! Oh yeah....swimming with Walt's Walkers on is a workout.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quite a few over 50, few 60ish.

Gill nets count, right???
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#43]
On a work trip to RI, I went down to the Charleston Breachway, where I heard there were some big stripers around. It was blowing SSE 25mph, and it was crashing hard into the east jetty. I met some other surfcaster nut down there, as we were nailing some nice 30's on the incoming tide. He then got his bomber stuck in the lower rocks of the jetty. He started down off the front and I told him it wasn't worth it. He slipped and fell in and started to be swept into the inlet. I managed to gaff him in the shoulder and hold him until he could grab on and climb out. He didn't say a word, and just took off. Never saw him again. I can't tell you how much crazy shit I've done and seen.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Here’s an old picture of me and my brother back in our teens. I’m on the right, my brothers on the left. I’m pretty sure the big one was a 46” but I’m not sere about the others.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Close to 30lbs with 15lb test on a baitcaster fishing the Susquehanna Flats during spawning season, it's C&R only but a hell of a lot of fun, much more so than trolling.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top